ADVERTISEMENT

Youtube video/audio of NU-Wash. St. (K. Jackson announcing) in '58

jjjjjjj

Aug 22, 2001
SIAP. This is a decent warm-up for the bowl game.

I remember it being a big deal when Keith Jackson announced NU-PSU in '95, but I had no idea that he had done an NU game 37 years earlier.

Washington State College

T Formation

"crowd of about 35,000"...

Difficulty closing out the game

Ron Burton, the ball carrier

This was the first game I saw at Dyche Stadium. It was Ara's third season and since freshman were ineligible at that time, the first opportunity to showcase what was essentially his first recruiting class, then sophomores, after going 0-9 the previous year. There were several notable games that year - a 21-0 shutout of Ohio State and a 42-0 lead on Michigan at halftime before pulling the dogs very early resulting in a more respectable 55-24 final. That team also had quite an impressive group of assistant coaches several going on to successful head coaching careers.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Okay, someone who has been around for a bit longer, perhaps you can explain this to me. I was watching the game posted here and, right before the half, Wash St. surrenders a touchdown to Northwestern and then elects to kickoff instead of receive after giving up a TD. Did this use to be a rule, that a team could elect to kickoff after surrendering a TD?? The logic as to why anyone would want to do that baffles me. It is also amazing to see how the old blocking rules hampered the ability to protect the QB. Those QBs were running for their lives!

Okay, someone who has been around for a bit longer, perhaps you can explain this to me. I was watching the game posted here and, right before the half, Wash St. surrenders a touchdown to Northwestern and then elects to kickoff instead of receive after giving up a TD. Did this use to be a rule, that a team could elect to kickoff after surrendering a TD?? The logic as to why anyone would want to do that baffles me. It is also amazing to see how the old blocking rules hampered the ability to protect the QB. Those QBs were running for their lives!

I noticed that myself, Michael, and as I recall, Keith Jackson made a reference to Washington State perhaps hoping to force a fumble on the kickoff return. Seems odd today, I know.

That was a pleasure for me!

1) As a season ticket holder, my Dad was certainly at that game. Fun to think of.
2) Keith Jackson has to be the best announcer ever, by a mile.
3) I used to have a sweater just like the male cheerleaders, I was four but Shakes is a little jealous now.
4 You don't see the Jump Pass very often any more.
5) The refs were more demonstrative WO microphones. It added a little energy to the game imo.
6) My dad never stopped talking about Burton and Kimbrough. I think he had a man crush.

Really fun to watch. A classic.

The video shows Northwestern upsetting a team ranked in the top ten.

That jump pass . . . amazing! I also liked how the refs would signal "first down" in almost the same manner as umpires call a player out in animated fashion. And Jackson provided both the play-by-play and color. Nice that he recognized the sole cameraman as his "partner" at the end of the game.

The game before players became specialized on offense and defense. It looked like they played the entire game . . . every down. No subs. Even QB Thornton punted and kicked the extra points, while playing safety.

A lot more trick plays, two point conversions, etc.

Everyone sat on the bench or what Jackson called the dugout. Even the coaches.

I wonder if holding or pass interference were penalized back in those days. Seemed like a lot of it going on but not a single call.

Not a single demonstration of excitement after a big play either on defense or offense until the end of the game. Whenever someone scored a touchdown, they'd just walk methodically back into the next formation, be it an extra point or two point conversion.

Some interesting play calling. NU went for it on 4th and 23 with about 2:00 left in the first half from about the 50. Then again, it didn't look the "two minute offense" was conceptualized back in that era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT