ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Lujan needs to not call plays next game

Baz=Heisman

Feb 11, 2023
You have to show some sort of accountability for that horrible/inexcusable/pathetic/disgusting decision to throw with :40 left and Wisconsin only having 1 timeout. Let one of the other position coaches take the reins for at Iowa. Our season will be on the line. Win or we’re cooked for a bowl. This Wisconsin game was plenty winnable.

You have to show some sort of accountability for that horrible/inexcusable/pathetic/disgusting decision to throw with :40 left and Wisconsin only having 1 timeout. Let one of the other position coaches take the reins for at Iowa. Our season will be on the line. Win or we’re cooked for a bowl. This Wisconsin game was plenty winnable.

Get real!

Lujan seems way over his head, but to be fair, we may have the worst QB situation in FBS football. Of course THAT makes the whole thing more impossible to understand.

I think he beats Dook and gives us a pulse against Washington and Wisconsin.
I mean doubtful. He can’t get on the field ahead of McNamera who is complete ass. Lujan gives me extremely arrogant vibes about his ego though. Like he doesn’t listen to advice. He’s trying to force his system onto personnel that was not recruited for it. You have to be more flexible.

I think he beats Dook and gives us a pulse against Washington and Wisconsin.
I actually liked Sully and thought we was pretty toolsy but unless you think Lujan is SO arrogant that he wouldn't play the best player - he was beaten out by an RSFR and a gadget player (last year) this spring

I mean doubtful. He can’t get on the field ahead of McNamera who is complete ass. Lujan gives me extremely arrogant vibes about his ego though. Like he doesn’t listen to advice. He’s trying to force his system onto personnel that was not recruited for it. You have to be more flexible.
Ferentz took a suspension to bring in McNamara. The sunk cost fallacy is strong with stubborn fools. But I know Sullivan is better than Wright because I saw them both with my own eyes.

Ferentz took a suspension to bring in McNamara. The sunk cost fallacy is strong with stubborn fools. But I know Sullivan is better than Wright because I saw them both with my own eyes.
Saw them both in different years with different OCs and OL coaches and somewhat different surrounding personnel. And against different opponents. But oh well.

This is one hundred million percent a Braun strategic error, not Lujan. Braun is the one who decides they’re going to get aggressive after first down and put Lausch in that situation

This is one hundred million percent a Braun strategic error, not Lujan. Braun is the one who decides they’re going to get aggressive after first down and put Lausch in that situation
Absolutely, if people want to be fired up about this ridiculous call, get fired up at Braun. Lujan didn’t just decide to throw there. Braun told him too and he admitted as much.

Absolutely, if people want to be fired up about this ridiculous call, get fired up at Braun. Lujan didn’t just decide to throw there. Braun told him too and he admitted as much.
Braun is falling on the sword. We’ve seen plenty of dumb Lujan calls before (Duke game). Lujan seems like an arrogant prick who doesn’t think he can do wrong and his system will always work.

From a layman’s perspective, almost every play call I’ve ever seen has had some sort of defensible basis — some way for a reasonable person to argue that it could come from a coach at that level.

The call at the end of the first half was one of the very, very, very few exceptions. That really makes me wonder about the coaching staff’s basic common sense.

Per InsideNU tweet of Braun press conference:

Braun on NU's playcalling at the end of the first half: "Different scenarios in terms of the timeouts left...Felt like an opportunity to get into field goal range."

Admits after the five-yard penalty should probably have handed the ball off.

From a layman’s perspective, almost every play call I’ve ever seen has had some sort of defensible basis — some way for a reasonable person to argue that it could come from a coach at that level.

The call at the end of the first half was one of the very, very, very few exceptions. That really makes me wonder about the coaching staff’s basic common sense.
100%

Lujan seems way over his head, but to be fair, we may have the worst QB situation in FBS football. Of course THAT makes the whole thing more impossible to understand.
It is not just the QB situation (which is improving somewhat). RB room drops off a lot after Porter and it seems he has been playing hurt since he returned. WR pretty weak after Henning went down as well and haven't really seen anything out of the OL that gives me warm fuzzies.

Felt like an opportunity to get into field goal range."

No it didn't.

I watched the game with my son and said to him - "You have to take a knee here. It would be crazy to run a play. Maybe it looks bad, but it is the only thing to do. when you're only down 7-0..."

Instead, NU attempted a passing play and fumbled, giving Wisconsin a touchdown and essentially losing the game.

Objectively terrible risk/reward analysis by our coaches.
We had a 0.01% chance of getting points in that situation and probably a 5% chance of turning the ball over.

I actually liked Sully and thought we was pretty toolsy but unless you think Lujan is SO arrogant that he wouldn't play the best player - he was beaten out by an RSFR and a gadget player (last year) this spring
A big problem for his was he could not stay heathy

This is 100% it. I have a feeling we’re going to try again next year with Gronowski though and be a bit luckier. I think the tight transfer timeframe was the issue this year.
How are you gonna give him an OL to play behind? Or a cast of receivers

No it didn't.

I watched the game with my son and said to him - "You have to take a knee here. It would be crazy to run a play. Maybe it looks bad, but it is the only thing to do. when you're only down 7-0..."

Instead, NU attempted a passing play and fumbled, giving Wisconsin a touchdown and essentially losing the game.

Objectively terrible risk/reward analysis by our coaches.
We had a 0.01% chance of getting points in that situation and probably a 5% chance of turning the ball over.
There was really nothing to be gained, A completed pass might have gotten them to 20-30 with 20 seconds left. Sorry but upside not there

Yes. 1000x yes. It's not a play calling issue that's concerning. It's a basic and fundamental math and logic issue.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
We are winning? Did I misread the final score?
Welcome back Bob, that was a long trip. I was getting worried about you.

We are not winning. My point is we still would not have won with Sully at QB. It would not be enough to overcome lopsided losses. In fact, my belief is Lausch is better.

Heaven help us if Sully gets in and plays well against the Cats this week. Feral will get on the pulpit and give us a Joel Osteen homily on how NU ran off the best QB we had.

In rewatching the game I was more upset with the five yard penalty on the prior play than I was on the play call on the fumble on the drop back. How many friggin times this year is the OL or tight end going to move at absolutely the worst moment? I don't know what was going through Braun's mind at the time but I bet he was really pissed and he went brain dead.

Welcome back Bob, that was a long trip. I was getting worried about you.

We are not winning. My point is we still would not have won with Sully at QB. It would not be enough to overcome lopsided losses. In fact, my belief is Lausch is better.

Heaven help us if Sully gets in and plays well against the Cats this week. Feral will get on the pulpit and give us a Joel Osteen homily on how NU ran off the best QB we had.
Lausch is already better than Wright, is young, and is improving. His ceiling may prove to be higher than Sullivan's; we'll see. I'm not going to turn it into a session to bad-mouth Lausch. I'm cheering for him to continue his growth.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Lausch is already better than Wright, is young, and is improving. His ceiling may prove to be higher than Sullivan's; we'll see. I'm not going to turn it into a session to bad-mouth Lausch. I'm cheering for him to continue his growth.
Lausch has a lot more athleticism than Sullivan, that's already clear.

Maybe Sullivan will eventually have a nice season or seasons, but the guy who can't crack the starting job for Iowa is not short term panacea for anybody.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT