ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Lujan needs to not call plays next game

Oklahoma fired their offensive coordinator (Seth Littrell) 7 games into his first season at that position.

He is an OU alum with 7 prior seasons as head coach at North Texas, which resulted in 6 bowl appearances (all losses).

Northwestern's OC has 2 years of FCS experience at that position with South Dakota State.
In 7 games at the FBS level he has established a pattern of terrible risk/reward decisions and largely ineffective play-calling.

Or am I being too harsh? (I suspect Braun is covering for Lujan by re-directing the criticism at himself)

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Lujan hasn’t been good. IMO, Braun screwed up this up. No way in hell, Lujan throws a pass there with out being told by Braun to push the ball upfield for a potential end of the half score. If he sat silent while we had the ball, and no provided no direction, we have way worse problems at HC than anyone thinks.

Honestly, I am surprised we are debating this on this board. It’s simple, Braun effed up. It happens and he was man enough to take responsibility. He doesn’t need to protect Lujan from anyone, because there are only about 50 people ( and they are on this board) who even know his name.

• Haha
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Braun was sold on Lujan because he supposedly called plays tailored to his players skills. That theory goes by the wayside when players like Henning or porter are hurt.

Lujan hasn’t been good. IMO, Braun screwed up this up. No way in hell, Lujan throws a pass there with out being told by Braun to push the ball upfield for a potential end of the half score. If he sat silent while we had the ball, and no provided no direction, we have way worse problems at HC than anyone thinks.

Honestly, I am surprised we are debating this on this board. It’s simple, Braun effed up. It happens and he was man enough to take responsibility. He doesn’t need to protect Lujan from anyone, because there are only about 50 people ( and they are on this board) who even know his name.
That’s not really how it works. Braun doesn’t tell him to push the ball up the field unless it’s obvious that’s what they need to do eg. end of game situation.

More likely Lujan asked Braun if he wants him to run the clock out and Braun told him throw it if he wants to.

That doesn’t make it any less Braun’s fault as he should’ve told Lujan to run the clock out. But, the head coach doesn’t demand he push it down the field in that scenario because he hasn’t studied the opposing defense on film all week and doesn’t know near as much as the OC in that situation in regards to looks they’re seeing, plays they have that they like in that scenario etc.

There’s a reason the HC hires coordinators they feel they can trust.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Lausch has a lot more athleticism than Sullivan, that's already clear.

Maybe Sullivan will eventually have a nice season or seasons, but the guy who can't crack the starting job for Iowa is not short term panacea for anybody.
Thank you. If Sullivan was anything decent he would start over the “king of mid” McNamera. He’s not good.

Braun was sold on Lujan because he supposedly called plays tailored to his players skills. That theory goes by the wayside when players like Henning or porter are hurt.
He hasn’t really done this all year though (before any injuries). That’s my issue.

His offense is a spread, speed, run-centric/short pass. Bajakian’s was ‘12’ personnel, power run, play action pass. Those are the personnel we have and all we do now is pass. And pass with an inexperienced QB… it makes no sense. I’m lost with Lujan.

Oklahoma fired their offensive coordinator (Seth Littrell) 7 games into his first season at that position.

He is an OU alum with 7 prior seasons as head coach at North Texas, which resulted in 6 bowl appearances (all losses).

Northwestern's OC has 2 years of FCS experience at that position with South Dakota State.
In 7 games at the FBS level he has established a pattern of terrible risk/reward decisions and largely ineffective play-calling.

Or am I being too harsh? (I suspect Braun is covering for Lujan by re-directing the criticism at himself)
OU is loaded with talent. A little different expectation than coming in with zero proven QBs and a questionable O line with RBs dealing with injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT