ADVERTISEMENT

Zoom watch party?

AstroCat

Sep 17, 2002
I was wondering if the Wildcat Report organizes a Zoom watch party of something like that. You would still watch the game on your own TV, but at least you could talk with other fans live during the game. I just assumed there must be lots of people doing this, but I have not seen it discussed on the board. If it is already happening, let me know.

If not, I have a Zoom account and I could set up a live meeting for this week's game. I think it is worth trying once, and it would be better then just watching on my own. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Best regards,

Astro

Great idea. If anyone posts a Meeting ID and Pass Code I'll join in for the party. I even have some Alaska Reindeer Sausage in the refrigerator ready to share.

Zoom has been a game changer during these challenging times.

I just attended earlier today my law school reunion on a Zoom meeting where after the introductory remarks we transitioned to break out rooms by graduation class where each person shared their life experiences since graduating. I have participated in two of my grandchildren's birthday parties by Zoom despite my being here in Alaska while one was in Nevada and another in Hawaii. The school that I volunteer taught at last fall in Japan asked me to join in by presenting a Zoom presentation to this year's students who were attending from Okinawa and Japan as their classes went online after the pandemic. Recently I was part of a deposition that we were able to conduct on Zoom. I am looking ahead to a trial that may well be held in a Zoom "courtroom."

Last edited:
I was wondering if the Wildcat Report organizes a Zoom watch party of something like that. You would still watch the game on your own TV, but at least you could talk with other fans live during the game. I just assumed there must be lots of people doing this, but I have not seen it discussed on the board. If it is already happening, let me know.

If not, I have a Zoom account and I could set up a live meeting for this week's game. I think it is worth trying once, and it would be better then just watching on my own. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Best regards,

Astro
Interesting idea. Set it up and post the link. I bet FLA would even pin it for you.

Interesting idea. Set it up and post the link. I bet FLA would even pin it for you.
This particular game watch is going to be challenging enough already - the local kids are still planning to trick or treat, and prime time for that is during our game - I’ll be on pandemic-modified trick or treat duty while I watch.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
This particular game watch is going to be challenging enough already - the local kids are still planning to trick or treat, and prime time for that is during our game - I’ll be on pandemic-modified trick or treat duty while I watch.
Same boat here...not sure this weekend works, but I like the general idea and would be interested for future games.

Thank you for the encouraging responses. I will set up a Zoom meeting for the game. I would like to limit access to the URL to only NU fans, in order avoid Zoom-bombing by internet trolls (which does happen). Please send an email to my alternate email address below, and I will reply with the Zoom meeting URL. You may forward the URL to other fans that you trust, but please do not post it for the general public.

rlb2357@yahoo.com

These kinds of meetings work well for up to about 25 people; however, yesterday I was in a virtual happy hour with about 80 participants and that seemed to work.

Looking forward to it. The last game was just me and my beer.

Best regards,

Astro

By the way, Zoom meetings seem to work best on laptops and tablets, which usually have built in cameras and microphones. They can also be carried to couches and easy chairs, which is more difficult with desktop computers.

It is nice to be able to see the faces and reactions of the people you are talking to, but some people prefer to not use their cameras, and that is fine.

There is also an option to call in by phone and partipcate by voice only, but then typical phone charges apply to the caller.

Just to be clear, we cannot show the game itself on Zoom. We have to watch that on our own screens. However, we can talk it live as the plays are going on, and that is easier to do than by typing text messages or emails. I look at this as a test or experiment.

Thanks Astro! I will try to join for at least part of the game. However, I have to stop and think if I really want people on here seeing me and how I react when watching a game. It's not a pretty sight. Hmmmmmm.........

One other caveat: I use YouTubeTV and not cable, so not sure if I'll be a few seconds behind people. IF so, that might not work. But we can try.

One other caveat: I use YouTubeTV and not cable, so not sure if I'll be a few seconds behind people. IF so, that might not work. But we can try.
Good call on the Youtube TV...I've noticed that I'm a good 5 seconds behind as well.

I already received a few emails asking for the join URL, and I replied to those, so let me know if you have not received it.

TheC brings up an important point, people who are streaming the game may be many seconds behind those who are watching on cable. We'll find out how bad that delay is. I am also curious if different streaming services have different delays.

Also, when you are in a Zoom meeting, you can turn off your video, in which case you would appear to others as an icon with a name on it. That often happens with people participating from home. Somethings they are worried about how they look, and sometimes they are worried about how their place looks. I have just gotten used to the fact that I look weird when I see myself. It has no effect on me now.

Thanks Astro! I will try to join for at least part of the game. However, I have to stop and think if I really want people on here seeing me and how I react when watching a game. It's not a pretty sight. Hmmmmmm.........

Yeah; we’ve seen you in the game threads. Might be best to skip this.

• Love
Reactions: nugnrfan82
So far several people have emailed me for the link. We'll see how it goes. I will report back on the message board with a description of the experience.

If you want access to the link, please email at:

rlb2357@yahoo.com

Reactions: Titanium999
So far several people have emailed me for the link. We'll see how it goes. I will report back on the message board with a description of the experience.

If you want access to the link, please email at:

rlb2357@yahoo.com
I'll join for a few minutes. I have a tennis tournament at 3:15. But I'll stop and say hi. Post the link to zoom and pass code on here. Thanks

Okay. If you want to join the zoom watch:
Join Zoom Meeting

Thanks Astro! It was an enjoyable way to watch the game and felt just like being there in the stands.

I can't believe I forgot to get a screen shot of all of us.

Reactions: drewjin
It was good. We had a group of 5 or 6 people watching, and some us were a few seconds ahead of me, and some us were several seconds behind me. From the reactions, I could tell if something good (or bad) was about to happen, but it did not really take away from the fun. It was way better than being watching on my own.

I am still amazed that we came back from that many points down on the road in BIG Ten game. We did it in such a workmanlike way, it did not seem that surprising at the time. It is only in retrospect that I am amazed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT