ADVERTISEMENT

6-6 is a yawner, sorry all !!!

Maybe if the NU staff can hang AA by his feet with kettle bells in each hand (gotta purchase those state of the art kettle bells first) they can stretch him into a linebacker.

Yup, xyz's post was the 2nd dumb post I've read here today (along w/ Woolly's "special training techniques" post).

Yup, another out of context and meaningfully contributing post brought to you by glades. Good job.

Height is definitely a problem at 5-8. There's a reason you don't see too many safeties that size (and the ones you do see are physical freaks otherwise).

He is shrinking?!?!? He was 5'9" earlier in the thread. Guess he was a terrible recruiting call, being so small and all. Damn shame. Not the coaches fault, they probably felt the kettle balls would work. Those damb pesky fans stunted his growth...

When you're in the B1G and you have a 10 win season, it's NOT a fluke. Just like having a stinky offense in the same year is not a fluke. There are real reasons for it. So instead of criticizing everything, please focus (on the real problem).

Which is? If you say the fans, I breaking my phone....

Academic requirements have a greater impact on NU's depth of competitive talent rather than the "top shelf" talent. It's no coincidence that our most successful seasons have usually been our healthiest.

"OL tend to be better students" is largely a myth, especially amongst the top-flight recruits. It's really not all that different than other positions in that respect, where there is a lot of middling talent that meet NU's admission requirements, but not a lot of top guys. Plus the top guys are going to be recruited by everyone whether an "academic school" or not, partially mitigating whatever advantage we might have in terms of academics. At the end of the day, most P5 recruits view themselves as football players first and foremost; the challenge for NU in recruiting is to identify quality football players for whom academics are TRULY a priority rather than just lip service.

I don't think the west is nearly as strong as you make it out to be. Either way, I would much rather be in this division than the east; seems like OSU and UM should have a stranglehold on that division with PSU rising up on occasion (I'm still not sold on Franklin, though this season is obviously a good one). The west could pretty easily be won or lost by a handful of bounces and/or injuries. For NU, it's mostly about having enough talent in-house to take advantage of those seasons.

I had to clean up some typos, but I think your post is good, especailly your thoughts about the East. In my opinion, looking at the coaches on each team, I think we lag behind in the coaching dept. I think Io_a has depth issues that NU does. However, Io-a's upside seasons means playing for the West title. I see our upside season as 2nd or 3rd place. I hope I am wrong, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

The season was a disappointment but it was a good comeback from a disastrous start. It is hard to lose the starting corners like we did and every team went after our secondary. That loosened up the safeties and made it harder to stop the run. The Oline didn't hold together enough to give our offense more legs. We suffered on both sides.

But I always hate this discussion about always being doomed or always coming up roses. The argument about the past big ten championships are old. The 2000 team was demolished by Nebraska. The 1996 team was beaten do badly by Tennessee. The 1995 team was just not as good as USC. None of those teams faced Ohio State. So, please add reality into the argument. To be the Big Ten champion today means you have a team that can win the national championship. We have not had any team worthy of a national championship game in the last 50 years, Can we win the west? Yes. We are not that far away. But what good is this negative cheering of the team?
And what good is rah rahing mediocracy?

He is shrinking?!?!? He was 5'9" earlier in the thread. Guess he was a terrible recruiting call, being so small and all. Damn shame. Not the coaches fault, they probably felt the kettle balls would work. Those damb pesky fans stunted his growth...

I said "5-9 180 on a good day." Most people realize that's a figure of speech indicating that he isn't actually 5-9 (I actually meant 190 as 5-9 190 is his listed height/weight, but had a typo from my phone... sorry). "5-9 190" can work at RB (and he had pretty darn good film with the offer list to go with it), but is tough at most other positions.

And I am explaining my protest. While I hold PF responsible for his coaching staff, I hold those up the tree responsible for their commitment. We seemingly have admin that consider our revenue sports relevant. Besides building some pretty stuff, its time for greater support from within.

That's fair. Was just pointing out that this is one of the few points where we don't disagree. ;)

I am not going after you, but your post is convenient.

Earlier in the year after the loss to ISU, I posted that as long as PF is coach, NU will never win the B10. The only home game I missed this year was Duke due to a wedding. I even went down to Purdue. Not a single thing occurred this year to dissuade me of this opinion. Frankly, I do not see a West Division crown as long as PF is the coach.

A good football coach does not always mean that person will be a good college coach. There is the consistent complaint of academic disadvantages, since other schools can admit goats, that justifies NU giving PF a long leash. I completely understand the academic limitations, but a look at JJTBC and CT shows that NU can get talent. I have seen backs since Mike Adamle and can not evaluate talent, but JJTBC is the best back I have ever seen at NU in running, picking up blitzes, and catching passes. John Moten will be very good. We have good athletes in the secondary which shows the talent can be found and admitted. Further, NU should be able to get good o-line personnel since they tend to be better students. The peformance in that departemetn has been disconcerting. I think NU will have seasons like last year on occasion and some down years, but NU will be the definition of mediocre for the foreseeable future with PF at the helm. Nice guy. Good face of the program; but after 10 years, we know what we have.

Further, a critical look at the other teams in the West Division offers the explanation of why these two events will not occur:

1) Wiscy. They have a better coach. They develop talent. I look forward to someone who will tell me that Wisconnsin is a gold mine for football talent. This gives Wiscy a disadvantage. Stability of coaches will help;

2) Nebby. Mike Riley is a better coach. Dearth of local talent and it is Nebraska for goodness sake. Have you been to that state? Ugh. If Armstrong could throw, much better results would have occurred. Program had a number of coaches and stability will help. Please tell me Nebby is a better state than Illinois for recruiiting which should be our recrutiing base;

3) Iowa. We get our wins against them, but Ferentz is a better coach. Dearth of local talent in Iowa, but they develop it. We may leapfrog Iowa when Ferentz leaves No better geographically than Nebby;

4) Minny. Better coach. Geez, they won more than 7 games with Leidner at QB. Their touughness mirrors Wiscy. If they get some talent, watch out. I think they jump NU;

5) Illini. Lovie is a good coach, but can he translate that to college? Jury out; and

6) Purdue. It will take a long time for anything to occur.

Based on what I have seen, I see NU fighting to get into the top three, but PF's conservative mantra and game management brain farts will keep NU in the mmiddle of the pack. I am sure I will get blasted for this submission, but PF's prior hssitory and NU's commitment pegs it as mediocre. I do not think the practice facility will mae that much of a difference since it is no different than the other schools have.

3) Iowa. Dearth of local talent

Not looking to blast your opinion Ed, but the premise of many of your points relate to the availability of talent for recruiting in the local of the team.

Your first three teams Wiscy, Nebby, and Iowa are THE only game in town. People in these states come out in droves to support the product. Their stadiums are full with THEIR colors. Most attending these games never went to the school! Think Chicago and being born into being a Bears fan.

Is it easier to recruit when you have a raucous full house in Iowa when you are hosting Michigan? Whisky hosting OSU while everyone in the state flys their Red flag. Nebby when they roll out the Hesiman and National Title history while bringing out 20,000 to each road game. No one in their right mind will argue these 3 states produce a bevy of talent, but you would have to have your eyes closed if you can't see the appeal of the football environment as opposed to NU, Illinois, Purdue or even Minny.

It's the chicken and the egg. Good teams typically bring in more fans and more talent. The fact that they have basically the entire state blowing horns for ole State U and an alumni base quadruple NU's is a major difference and distinct advantage.

As far as the quality of head coaches. Chryst has clearly done the job and his team's have been well prepared throughout his tenure. He is dull as a butter knife, but his job is to win games and run a clean program. He does that and has to be considered the top coach in the West IMO. Riley and Frentz have had ups and downs. Read the posters on their board and you'll see their fan base is less than enamored with either of them. I personally have seen some questionable game day coaching out of both. Sound familiar to Evanston. No way I take these two over our HC especially considering their age and IMO very average results over an extended period. Minny, C'mon now! Claeys handled us this year, how is he annointed as better based on 1.5 years of coaching. This guy will come down to earth soon enough.

Fitz is not the problem. I always ask who would you replace him with and usually get the unrealistic top names and the great unknowns. PJ Fleck is the latest name and I say, no way!

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Did you think that Barnett would get the football team to the Rose Bowl and finish with a top 10 ranking in four years?

So now we hire someone else because "why not, what's the worst that could happen?"

Ask ND how that's worked out.

I am not going after you, but your post is convenient.

Earlier in the year after the loss to ISU, I posted that as long as PF is coach, NU will never win the B10. The only home game I missed this year was Duke due to a wedding. I even went down to Purdue. Not a single thing occurred this year to dissuade me of this opinion. Frankly, I do not see a West Division crown as long as PF is the coach.

A good football coach does not always mean that person will be a good college coach. There is the consistent complaint of academic disadvantages, since other schools can admit goats, that justifies NU giving PF a long leash. I completely understand the academic limitations, but a look at JJTBC and CT shows that NU can get talent. I have seen backs since Mike Adamle and can not evaluate talent, but JJTBC is the best back I have ever seen at NU in running, picking up blitzes, and catching passes. John Moten will be very good. We have good athletes in the secondary which shows the talent can be found and admitted. Further, NU should be able to get good o-line personnel since they tend to be better students. The peformance in that departemetn has been disconcerting. I think NU will have seasons like last year on occasion and some down years, but NU will be the definition of mediocre for the foreseeable future with PF at the helm. Nice guy. Good face of the program; but after 10 years, we know what we have.

Further, a critical look at the other teams in the West Division offers the explanation of why these two events will not occur:

1) Wiscy. They have a better coach. They develop talent. I look forward to someone who will tell me that Wisconnsin is a gold mine for football talent. This gives Wiscy a disadvantage. Stability of coaches will help;

2) Nebby. Mike Riley is a better coach. Dearth of local talent and it is Nebraska for goodness sake. Have you been to that state? Ugh. If Armstrong could throw, much better results would have occurred. Program had a number of coaches and stability will help. Please tell me Nebby is a better state than Illinois for recruiiting which should be our recrutiing base;

3) Iowa. We get our wins against them, but Ferentz is a better coach. Dearth of local talent in Iowa, but they develop it. We may leapfrog Iowa when Ferentz leaves No better geographically than Nebby;

4) Minny. Better coach. Geez, they won more than 7 games with Leidner at QB. Their touughness mirrors Wiscy. If they get some talent, watch out. I think they jump NU;

5) Illini. Lovie is a good coach, but can he translate that to college? Jury out; and

6) Purdue. It will take a long time for anything to occur.

Based on what I have seen, I see NU fighting to get into the top three, but PF's conservative mantra and game management brain farts will keep NU in the mmiddle of the pack. I am sure I will get blasted for this submission, but PF's prior hssitory and NU's commitment pegs it as mediocre. I do not think the practice facility will mae that much of a difference since it is no different than the other schools have.

3) Iowa. Dearth of local talent

Wisconsin IS a small gold mine for OL and DL talent. Lots of huge people in Wisconsin. The talent in general in Wisconsin is underrated, IMO.

The key thing with the new practice facility is that it is ON CAMPUS (in a nice location), rather than being over a mile away. That eliminates one negative mark for the program for recruits, IMO. Now if a football player wants to escape the grating sound of nerds and get swole, he can walk a few blocks to the weight room overlooking Lake Michigan.

Yup, another out of context and meaningfully contributing post brought to you by glades. Good job.

Gotta keep up with the vacuous and oft-ignorant "crap on the Cats" contributions from you and Woolly. It's tough, I tell ya, even after a 3 TD win over our in-state rival to make us eligible for a bowl game.

Not looking to blast your opinion Ed, but the premise of many of your points relate to the availability of talent for recruiting in the local of the team.

Your first three teams Wiscy, Nebby, and Iowa are THE only game in town. People in these states come out in droves to support the product. Their stadiums are full with THEIR colors. Most attending these games never went to the school! Think Chicago and being born into being a Bears fan.

Is it easier to recruit when you have a raucous full house in Iowa when you are hosting Michigan? Whisky hosting OSU while everyone in the state flys their Red flag. Nebby when they roll out the Hesiman and National Title history while bringing out 20,000 to each road game. No one in their right mind will argue these 3 states produce a bevy of talent, but you would have to have your eyes closed if you can't see the appeal of the football environment as opposed to NU, Illinois, Purdue or even Minny.

It's the chicken and the egg. Good teams typically bring in more fans and more talent. The fact that they have basically the entire state blowing horns for ole State U and an alumni base quadruple NU's is a major difference and distinct advantage.

As far as the quality of head coaches. Chryst has clearly done the job and his team's have been well prepared throughout his tenure. He is dull as a butter knife, but his job is to win games and run a clean program. He does that and has to be considered the top coach in the West IMO. Riley and Frentz have had ups and downs. Read the posters on their board and you'll see their fan base is less than enamored with either of them. I personally have seen some questionable game day coaching out of both. Sound familiar to Evanston. No way I take these two over our HC especially considering their age and IMO very average results over an extended period. Minny, C'mon now! Claeys handled us this year, how is he annointed as better based on 1.5 years of coaching. This guy will come down to earth soon enough.

Fitz is not the problem. I always ask who would you replace him with and usually get the unrealistic top names and the great unknowns. PJ Fleck is the latest name and I say, no way!

It is coaching. Io-a and Wiscy were terrible in the late 60s and 70s. The change occurred for Io-a, from my recollection, when Hayden Fry showed up. Wiscy had an era with I think Dave McClain, but when Barry Alvarez hit town, Wiscy's fortunes changed. Each school was the only team in the state and I really do not have a recollection of OSU, Michigan or anyone concentrating their recruiting to those hotbeds for football recruiting, otherwise known as Io-a or Wisconsin. It was and is coaching.

Chryst may be boring, but the Badgers played with a toughness and beat the crap out of us. The score was much closer than the actual game. Claeys was part of Jerry Kill's staff. They won at every single level before getting to Minny. I expect the same will occur at Minny. Good running and tough defense.ny's lines ate ours alive. Nebby did the same thing. 3 teams in the west handled our Iines. They beat us. Unless there is some change. This will continue. The 4 teams we will compete against are Wiscy, Io-a, Minny and Nebby and I think all will consistently be better every year. Add in PF's coaching. 6-6 is what you. Further, WMU and ISU's lines whipped our lines this year.

I would not take Ferentz or Riley over PF since they are near 65, but Claeys, Chryst and even Lovie would better options. I see in the other thread that PF is ranked low in our divisions by some. I think they are right.

Last edited:
Did you think that Barnett would get the football team to the Rose Bowl and finish with a top 10 ranking in four years?

Of course not. But the chances of someone achieving such a dramatic turnaround were smaller than tiny. Do you think arguably the greatest turnaround of a program in college football history in the past 50 years is a common event? Do you bet the house when the odds are 1000:1?

I'd guess the odds of finding a better coach than Fitz for the next five years is about 1:10.

It is coaching. Io-a and Wiscy were terrible in the late 60s and 70s. The change occurred for Io-a, from my recollection, when Hayden Fry showed up. Wiscy had an era with I think Dave McClain, but when Barry Alvarez hit town, Wiscy's fortunes changed. Each school was the only team in the state and I really do not have a recollection of OSU, Michigan or anyone concentrating their recruiting to those hotbeds for football recruiting, otherwise known as Io-a or Wisconsin.

Chryst may be boring, but the Badgers played with a toughness and beat the crap out of us. The score was much closer than the actual game. Claeys was part of Jerry Kill's staff. They won at every single level before getting to Minny. I expect the same will occur at Minny. Good running and tough defense.ny's lines ate ours alive. Nebby did the same thing. 3 teams in the west handled our I

Now you are going back 50 years to mention a turn around? If we were recruiting against them in the 60's you would have a point. Also, never said or implied Whisky or Iowa were hotbeds of talent. I would argue IL is average at best.

You must have forgot our beat down of Kill/Claeys last year. Crap happens to average teams. Minny was average last year. We are average this year mostly because we don't have enough talent and we have a couple Assistants that from the outside don't appear to be doing the job.

I know my opinion that the Head Coach isn't the reason we are average won't be popular with all Tailgating crew but even they could see part of the obstacles said HC deals with when competing with the big State U's.

Gotta keep up with the vacuous and oft-ignorant "crap on the Cats" contributions from you and Woolly. It's tough, I tell ya, even after a 3 TD win over our in-state rival to make us eligible for a bowl game.

Drink drano... oh never mind, you contribute the best you can, best you always could. How's the cat?

And I'm glad. Means you have little patience and i own you. Cheers :)

You really don't understand. You asked me what I said. It wasn't about you. My message was this board should stop these threads, i.e. to shut up. I don't have any personal message for you because you have no special significance for me as one of the whiners. As far as patience, I have been at this a hell of a long time. I got all the patience in the world. To me, this is like the crying baby on the airplane on a long haul flight. I wish it would shut up. I have nothing against the baby. I understand it is upset and scared and really can't help being a cry baby. So even if it continues to cry, I am going to be fine.

Now you are going back 50 years to mention a turn around? If we were recruiting against them in the 60's you would have a point. Also, never said or implied Whisky or Iowa were hotbeds of talent. I would argue IL is average at best.

You must have forgot our beat down of Kill/Claeys last year. Crap happens to average teams. Minny was average last year. We are average this year mostly because we don't have enough talent and we have a couple Assistants that from the outside don't appear to be doing the job.

I know my opinion that the Head Coach isn't the reason we are average won't be popular with all Tailgating crew but even they could see part of the obstacles said HC deals with when competing with the big State U's.

This is when the programs turned around. If Illinois is so bad for talent, I guess the number of players from Illinois on Io-a, like Ekatitie (sic) from defensive end from Lake Forest Academy who NU recruited suck, as do some players who go to Wiscy every years, and the4 recruits who were in the nation's top 250 who came from Illinois and who went to MSU last year stink. Illinois is not as good as Ohio or maybe Michigan, but it is a good source of talent and is from where we got JJTBC and CT.

I did not got to NU. Grew up in Wilmette. I am an outside looking at this with no enduring ties to the school. I am calling it the way I see it. I do not like it when Hank plays the prevent, but the dense with Hank and Jerry are well coached. Mick as a qb coach is very good. The rest are meh.

This is when the programs turned around. If Illinois is so bad for talent, I guess the number of players from Illinois on Io-a, like Ekatitie (sic) from defensive end from Lake Forest Academy who NU recruited suck, as do some players who go to Wiscy every years, and the4 recruits who were in the nation's top 250 who came from Illinois and who went to MSU last year stink. Illinois is not as good as Ohio or maybe Michigan, but it is a good source of talent and is from where we got JJTBC and CT.

I did not got to NU. Grew up in Wilmette. I am an outside looking at this with no enduring ties to the school. I am calling it the way I see it. I do not like it when Hank plays the prevent, but the dense with Hank and Jerry are well coached. Mick as a qb coach is very good. The rest are meh.

I am just like you in I never went to NU and am just a fan from AH. We typically only record a half dozen or so kids a year from IL, so even if we landed half of them, we would need to go places such as Ohio, Texas and most recently Georgia.

I too think the performance of some of our staff has been meh. What I am not convinced of is there is some magic Jim Hardballs tree out there that results in an instant turn around.

Drink drano... oh never mind, you contribute the best you can, best you always could. How's the cat?

And your contributions...umm...do you contribute anything besides constant criticism of NU programs and ignorant commentary on which coach should be fired next? Too bad the internet wasn't booming during the Dark Ages. Your posts would have greater effective application and appreciation back then.

Boots has made a remarkable recovery over the past two months and is almost back to "normal" for a >16-year-old cat. Three months ago, I was a day or two away from putting him down. I (and my vets) have no idea what was wrong or how he recovered. Thanks for asking!

What good is a negative attitude?

What good is any attitude? Why are we here? Is this the kum-bay-yah corner of the internet? I thought it was a place to discuss thoughts and feelings about nu sports. Damn, did i stumble into one of those damn safe spaces? Frigging coddled younguns....

Hurray, another guy ready for some coaching changes. Slowly the tide rolls in.

And your contributions...umm...do you contribute anything besides constant criticism of NU programs and ignorant commentary on which coach should be fired next? Too bad the internet wasn't booming during the Dark Ages. Your posts would have greater effective application and appreciation back then.

Boots has made a remarkable recovery over the past two months and is almost back to "normal" for a >16-year-old cat. Three months ago, I was a day or two away from putting him down. I (and my vets) have no idea what was wrong or how he recovered. Thanks for asking!
I was in school there during the dark ages. And the internet existed...less prevalently than today.

Call me what you want, doesn't make if true. My frat was all athletes and potheads, I had many football brothers. But i have defended my fandom enough. Truth is - the growing majority is calling for some coaching changes. It took two years, and like Trump, the majority and board police didnt see it coming, but it is here. Except for mike and a few klan carryovers, seems like the rational majority is onboard. I called for it early. Just one of my contributions.

I know, mean non fan accusations to follow. It is ok, I have been right most of my life and had to deal with folks like you throughout. Im arrogant, maybe an ass but a fan. KMA

Reactions: WoodersonCat
Yup. Let's see who does better and lasts longer...Donald Trump or the next coach at ND.

Both get recalled, impeached (fired) or indicted within two years. But entertainment value justifies the decision. And neither impacts my life directly.

What good is any attitude? Why are we here? Is this the kum-bay-yah corner of the internet? I thought it was a place to discuss thoughts and feelings about nu sports. Damn, did i stumble into one of those damn safe spaces? Frigging coddled younguns....

Nah, you're very welcome to bring any attitude you want to the boards so I can beat them down with my Pollyanna love club. I enjoy people who endlessly bitch about everything endlessly. I wish they made a talking Willycat (the person) or Woolly (the frightened lamb) bobblehead doll that bitched when you pull a string. If I had a half dozen of them squawking constantly, I wouldn't bother reading the Rivals boards.

Nah, you're very welcome to bring any attitude you want to the boards so I can beat them down with my Pollyanna love club.

Board police - there has to be a rule about glades threatening people with his penis. I demand stiff justice!

I was in school there during the dark ages. And the internet existed...less prevalently than today.

Call me what you want, doesn't make if true. My frat was all athletes and potheads, I had many football brothers. But i have defended my fandom enough. Truth is - the growing majority is calling for some coaching changes. It took two years, and like Trump, the majority and board police didnt see it coming, but it is here. Except for mike and a few klan carryovers, seems like the rational majority is onboard. I called for it early. Just one of my contributions.

I know, mean non fan accusations to follow. It is ok, I have been right most of my life and had to deal with folks like you throughout. Im arrogant, maybe an ass but a fan. KMA

I don't question whether you're an NU fan or not. That's silly.

The majority of the board thought Jerry Brown should have been fired 15 years ago, then 10 years ago, and even recently. The majority of the board wrote off Tre Demps 4 years ago as well. The majority of people can't locate Iraq on a map. Being in the majority means nothing if the majority really doesn't know anything.

I've also been right most of my life and have had to deal with my share of skeptics as well. "KMA"?...Bring a step ladder!

Last edited:
Both get recalled, impeached (fired) or indicted within two years. But entertainment value justifies the decision. And neither impacts my life directly.

Let's hope not. Trump will impact many in my field. Heck, he wants to wipe out my field. Should be entertaining, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT