ADVERTISEMENT

A word of caution about next season

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
After our breakthrough NCAA season, I remember talking with a friend after the Gonzaga loss wore off. I was giddy. The whole core of the team was coming back. A new building was being constructed. We had finally turned the page & there was a lot of success to come.

And we all know what happened next. So much disappointment that following season. The guys looked like they’d read their glowing press & decided they’d be good again by default. That season was a massive letdown, and there was more pain where that came from in the years that followed. It was a real reversion to the historical mean for NU fans. Many of us are always waiting for the next shoe to drop. For us, it typically does.

This past season was even more successful, and the emergence of our home court advantage (student section culture) felt potentially game-changing for the program. Turning around and laying an egg next year, falling well short of expectations, would be painful…but there’s a beaten down part of me that kinda expects it. If our guys and staff develop an unearned sense of entitlement heading into next year, failure could well ensue. Nothing comes easily for NU hoops. Ever.

That said…. CCC surely remembers what happened after our previous tourney berth and will be HIGHLY motivated to avoid a repeat underperformance. This feels like another possible/major inflection point for the program. Back-to-back strong seasons could solidify things and really boost recruiting. He’s earned his extension. He’s got Mac on the bench with him, who probably still feels like his final season left a bitter taste. This team has a lot to prove. Boo is an absolute baller & the pieces around him are strong. If Chase comes back, we could well be better than last year, on paper. But on paper doesn’t matter. There will be haters and doubters & the guys need to be extremely hungry to prove that what they've just achieved wasn’t a fluke & to build on it.

Thrilled about Boo. Grateful for everyone who made his return possible, including our NIL braintrust. I’m really stoked for next year. But I’m suspicious of my own enthusiasm and hope because I’m one of us. I think this team can go a long way toward eradicating that mentality from our fanbase. But they need to fight tooth and nail to do it.

GO ‘CATS!

I feel like I'm way more optimistic because of the experience of the past 6 years; CCC should be equipped to deal with high expectations for a returning NCAA tournament squad this time around.

And the arena issue was a big one.
Playing at WRA as we saw in Feb is worlds apart than the situation the 2018 team faced playing at Allstate.

Having a gym on campus available for workouts any time should.. can go over in the morning before school and get a workout in instead of having to shuttle to the temp gym.

After our breakthrough NCAA season, I remember talking with a friend after the Gonzaga loss wore off. I was giddy. The whole core of the team was coming back. A new building was being constructed. We had finally turned the page & there was a lot of success to come.

And we all know what happened next. So much disappointment that following season. The guys looked like they’d read their glowing press & decided they’d be good again by default. That season was a massive letdown, and there was more pain where that came from in the years that followed. It was a real reversion to the historical mean for NU fans. Many of us are always waiting for the next shoe to drop. For us, it typically does.

This past season was even more successful, and the emergence of our home court advantage (student section culture) felt potentially game-changing for the program. Turning around and laying an egg next year, falling well short of expectations, would be painful…but there’s a beaten down part of me that kinda expects it. If our guys and staff develop an unearned sense of entitlement heading into next year, failure could well ensue. Nothing comes easily for NU hoops. Ever.

That said…. CCC surely remembers what happened after our previous tourney berth and will be HIGHLY motivated to avoid a repeat underperformance. This feels like another possible/major inflection point for the program. Back-to-back strong seasons could solidify things and really boost recruiting. He’s earned his extension. He’s got Mac on the bench with him, who probably still feels like his final season left a bitter taste. This team has a lot to prove. Boo is an absolute baller & the pieces around him are strong. If Chase comes back, we could well be better than last year, on paper. But on paper doesn’t matter. There will be haters and doubters & the guys need to be extremely hungry to prove that what they've just achieved wasn’t a fluke & to build on it.

Thrilled about Boo. Grateful for everyone who made his return possible, including our NIL braintrust. I’m really stoked for next year. But I’m suspicious of my own enthusiasm and hope because I’m one of us. I think this team can go a long way toward eradicating that mentality from our fanbase. But they need to fight tooth and nail to do it.

GO ‘CATS!
Another concern: what if more of our basketball players develop and transfer to Notre Dame or Indiana?

Having a gym on campus available for workouts any time should.. can go over in the morning before school and get a workout in instead of having to shuttle to the temp gym.
Where was the temp gym? They couldn't at least use SPAC?

I can understand where you're coming from, NJ. I'm cautiously optimistic also.

My more concrete concern is the effect on the defense without Audige AND Beran. We'll see.

Reactions: NJcatsfan
Playing in All State Arena was not good for that team- the crowd support after a great season didn’t carry over on many nights. As I recall that team had lots of nagging injury issues as well. The tourney team also had quite a few close wins. The next year seemed to be the opposite.

For next year I like the fact that Boo is the PG and guy who drives the bus, and he seems to be focused. The first team was a little more on a rock tour based on the whole first dance…

Does the team practice at Ryan Fieldhouse? For some reason, I thought they practiced elsewhere.

GO ‘CATS!
I'm optimistic with or without Chase. The core of the team is pretty tight and most of the guys are hungry for success. Nicholson will be a senior, believe it or not. Barnhizer will be a junior. Both have only one year of experience. They cannot possibly be satisfied and should (will) improve. Langborg looks like a good fit and isn't afraid of the spotlight. Mullins is 6'6", has potential, is athletic and plays defense. Martinelli was pushing Beran for minutes last year and can only improve. Hunger provides depth and potential, not to mention size. Blake Preston looks like a solid backup for Nicholson. Ty Berry could/should bounce back from a subpar season offensively.

And we have 3 freshmen coming in - it would be really unusual for Coach Collins not to get meaningful contributions from at least one of them.

So we're going to be at least "pretty good."

"Pretty good" is fine, assuming that means meaningful games in February (and of course March). I'd love to see a Big Ten Championship of course, but just give me more Madness!

Sage advice, NJ. Some promising NU teams have killed success, momentum and fan support without foreplay.

After the past season, though, CCC is for real. Might have some more down years along the way, but not next year. OTOH, another tournament run and recruiting might improve a level... and NU could move into the top half of the conference to stay. IT COULD HAPPEN!

One of the things many NU fans were concerned about in the BB/CA drama is whether or not they would just enter the portal. BB's return to the team, and his appreciative announcement (Boo knows NU), shows you the culture going down on the team. He WANTS to be back.

Wonder how CA is feeling these days? Somebody call him up.

GO CATS!

Reactions: NJcatsfan
I'm optimistic with or without Chase. The core of the team is pretty tight and most of the guys are hungry for success. Nicholson will be a senior, believe it or not. Barnhizer will be a junior. Both have only one year of experience. They cannot possibly be satisfied and should (will) improve. Langborg looks like a good fit and isn't afraid of the spotlight. Mullins is 6'6", has potential, is athletic and plays defense. Martinelli was pushing Beran for minutes last year and can only improve. Hunger provides depth and potential, not to mention size. Blake Preston looks like a solid backup for Nicholson. Ty Berry could/should bounce back from a subpar season offensively.

And we have 3 freshmen coming in - it would be really unusual for Coach Collins not to get meaningful contributions from at least one of them.

So we're going to be at least "pretty good."
Should definitely have more depth after at times this past season basically having a 7 man rotation. Or with Nick I suppose one could say 7+

You all know I am as pessimistic as they get on here. Yet, for some strange reason, I do think we will avoid the next year hangover this time. I'm not saying we'll win the BIG or even finish second. There are a lot of factors at play that go into that such as how other teams develop and how often that ball bounces your way from night to night. But... I do think this team will be better.

I think back to that Auburn game last November. Watching that game, I thought Northwestern looked like one of the worst college basketball teams I'd seen in a long time. They couldn't shoot. They could barely execute their offense. It was so ugly. As the game went on, I realized we were still hanging in there and one could begin to really see how good our defense was looking. However, it left me saying to myself, if we could just resemble a high school level offense, we might win this game. Alas, we did not.

By the end of the year, the offense was starting to look a lot better. Certain plays were run crisply. Boo was figuring out what he could and couldn't do. We still struggled to be consistent though, which held us back from being a really good team.

My hope (dare I say, expectation) is that with all the experience coming back, and a couple transfers that seem to be able to shoot the ball, our offense might look a lot sharper. If we can keep that tough-minded, hard-working attitude that was so much fun to watch last year, then I do think this team will be better - maybe even a lot better.

Perhaps the biggest key to keeping the team's edge will be Bryant McIntosh, who knows firsthand from a player's perspective what happens when you don't maintain focus after becoming the hunted.

There was no such available experience last time around.

Anything can happen. The Cats won several games by a margin of error and were one loss from 8th place in the conference. Last year I thought 7 wins was the ceiling, this year it feels like the floor.

Boo coming back brings me great hope. He's a driven guy and I believe he sees the need to elevate his game even more than before so he can reach for the NBA next year. I imagine he's spending a lot of time working on his 3 and going left. I hope his drive is contagious.

My only real concerns are at the 4. Do we have a couple of biggish guys with enough quicks to be assets on our defense? It would be great to have a better scoring threat there, but the defense really needs all five guys to work and I haven't really seen who is filling that spot.

Anything can happen. The Cats won several games by a margin of error and were one loss from 8th place in the conference. Last year I thought 7 wins was the ceiling, this year it feels like the floor.

Boo coming back brings me great hope. He's a driven guy and I believe he sees the need to elevate his game even more than before so he can reach for the NBA next year. I imagine he's spending a lot of time working on his 3 and going left. I hope his drive is contagious.

My only real concerns are at the 4. Do we have a couple of biggish guys with enough quicks to be assets on our defense? It would be great to have a better scoring threat there, but the defense really needs all five guys to work and I haven't really seen who is filling that spot.
If you look at the options we have for the 4/5-

Nicholson 7’
Hunger 6’ 10”

Martinelli 6’ 7”
Preston 6’ 9”. (Transfer from Liberty)
Barkley. 6’ 8”. (Incoming frosh)

Guess they at times could go small and maybe use Brooks at the 4. He’s listed at 6’6” and pretty solidly built. Mullins I believe is 6’5” but seems more of a SF body.

We’ve got one scholarship left depending on Chase.

Last edited:
Reactions: EagerFan

GO ‘CATS!
My only concern is that the margin of error in a competitive conference like the Big Ten is pretty small. Last season, we were 6-3 in regular-season conference games decided by 6 points or less. That's not egregious, but we won the majority of the close ones.

I believe that the better team will more often than not win a close game over a lesser opponent, but it doesn't always work out that way. I truly don't worry about a letdown as I think as a whole (assuming Audige is back), our team is better than last year's and I think they are focused and motivated. But sometimes the bounces don't go your way in close games or the schedule sets up in a way that you catch certain teams when they are hot or whatever.

My point is that I am definitely optimistic about next season, but nothing is ever a given unless you are a powerhouse with elite talent. I expect us to be good, but it's not a slam dunk (worst pun ever - sorry) that we will be based on what I wrote above.

To me, Chase is the key to my optimism. I think people underestimate his role on D. Basically locked down many top scorers. Robbie was a fine defender as well. We have more depth on paper but without Robbie and potentially Chase we will need to be more efficient on offense because the D will take a step back.

Reactions: ThatkidfromHolland
I worry about the 4 as well. It would be nice to have a 6'9" defensive minded player with a nice stroke capable of doubling the post and hitting the occasional 3 , allowing the 5 to pick and roll

I worry about the 4 as well. It would be nice to have a 6'9" defensive minded player with a nice stroke capable of doubling the post and hitting the occasional 3 , allowing the 5 to pick and roll
How about a 6’8” guy with those talents?

My only concern is that the margin of error in a competitive conference like the Big Ten is pretty small. Last season, we were 6-3 in regular-season conference games decided by 6 points or less. That's not egregious, but we won the majority of the close ones.

I believe that the better team will more often than not win a close game over a lesser opponent, but it doesn't always work out that way. I truly don't worry about a letdown as I think as a whole (assuming Audige is back), our team is better than last year's and I think they are focused and motivated. But sometimes the bounces don't go your way in close games or the schedule sets up in a way that you catch certain teams when they are hot or whatever.

My point is that I am definitely optimistic about next season, but nothing is ever a given unless you are a powerhouse with elite talent. I expect us to be good, but it's not a slam dunk (worst pun ever - sorry) that we will be based on what I wrote above.
Our conf schedule is easier this year- or should be. We only play Iowa, Michigan, OSU, Indiana, Rutgers and Wisky once each. I believe we played all those teams twice last season

We get Minny twice, Neb twice and Penn state who should be weaker twice.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
If you look at the options we have for the 4/5-

Nicholson 7’
Hunger 6’ 10”

Martinelli 6’ 7”
Preston 6’ 9”. (Transfer from Liberty)
Barkley. 6’ 8”. (Incoming frosh)

Guess they at times could go small and maybe use Brooks at the 4. He’s listed at 6’6” and pretty solidly built. Mullins I believe is 6’5” but seems more of a SF body.

We’ve got one scholarship left depending on Chase.
I like Martinelli, but sometimes he looks like he's wearing swim flippers on defense. Needs to grow into his body

As noted above, the 4 PF is the likely gap. A lot if good back up or rotation options but no proven Power Conference PF on roster. That would be a great use of last scholarship. Chase is a good player but NU got two Wing transfers plus Berry who need minutes.
Teams can win with one gap, Matt N and center position can sure reduce the PF need.

As others have written in this thread, I think next year's success will depend on our ability to carry over the same level of defense - without Beran and potential without Audige. Even being a tad worse on defense could mean a couple of games swing the other way, leaving NU in the bottom half of the conference. I say this because I doubt our offense is suddenly going to defy history and improve significantly. I think we're going to have to win in much the same way as last year.

Last edited:
Barnhizer will play the majority of the min at the 4 if the roster stays the same. He did pretty well in that position last season imo. Berans length will be missed defensively but Barnhizer is a good defender. Audige returning will help the defense a lot. If not NU will need to be noticeably more efficient offensively to make up for his loss.

As noted above, the 4 PF is the likely gap. A lot if good back up or rotation options but no proven Power Conference PF on roster. That would be a great use of last scholarship. Chase is a good player but NU got two Wing transfers plus Berry who need minutes.
Teams can win with one gap, Matt N and center position can sure reduce the PF need.
See what Preston can bring- he should at least be capable of being a Tydus type role player. He played 17 mins a game for Liberty last year. Led them in rebounding at 5 per game, 7pts. 1/2 a steal and 1/2 a block per game. 66% FG. His FT % will make Nicholson look good- 39.7%

ESPN listed him as 6’9” 230 so he’s not going to get pushed around.

For comparison Tydus was listed as 6’9” 235 and Beran 6’9” 215

Last edited:
Barnhizer will play the majority of the min at the 4 if the roster stays the same. He did pretty well in that position last season imo. Berans length will be missed defensively but Barnhizer is a good defender. Audige returning will help the defense a lot. If not NU will need to be noticeably more efficient offensively to make up for his loss.

What about Hunger?

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
As others have written in this thread, I think next year's success will depend on our ability to carry over the same level of defense - without Beran and potential without Audige. Even being a tad worst on defense could mean a couple of games swing the other way, leaving NU in the bottom half of the conference. I say this because I doubt our offense is suddenly going to defy history and improve significantly. I think we're going to have to win in much the same way as last year.
The team D grew by leaps last year. I believe the reason for improvement is still on the team, won’t ever exhaust eligibility and hopefully stays a very long time.

The team D grew by leaps last year. I believe the reason for improvement is still on the team, won’t ever exhaust eligibility and hopefully stays a very long time.
Hewhoscannotbenamed? I agree about Voldemort, I mean Lowery. Worked some dark magic on the squad.

But consider this...

2021-22 Nance / Beran / Berry (or Roper) / Audige / Buie
2022-23 Nicholson / Beran / Berry / Audige / Buie

defense improved a lot.... If you have to credit one player... it has to be Big Matt relative to Pete Nance.

People seem to be forgetting how good Berry was on defense when he wasn't committing silly fouls. He's an excellent rebounder for a guard and was second on the team in steals behind Audige. If he can continue his development on that end we'll be in good shape even if Chase doesn't return.
Agree that Berry is a plus defender, but he's going to have to improve a lot on the defensive end to be the disruptor that CA was. I don't see a path where NU isn't significantly less effective on defense if Audige doesn't come back. Audige, Nicholson, and Beran were the keys to NU's defense. Some combination of Berry/Langborg and Mart should be more effective offensively over Audige/Berry and Beran, but that's a significantly lesser defensive presence.

JMHO, but the route to victories for the Cats next year is likely to be significantly different if Audige doesn't come back. If he does come back, I love a Boo/Berry/Audige/BB/MN lineup with Langborg, Mart, and Hunger the main minutes coming off the bench. That's a strong defensive team with a lot of offensive potential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT