ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone think NU can defeat Illinois?

Haha it’s tongue in cheek. I’m an aerospace engineer in my day job, annd spend my day anmong the dorkiest of dorks. And John Candy is the greatest. If we agree on nothing, we should agree on that.
I can definitely tell it's tongue and cheek, and I actually enjoy the banter here. I just think that particular line is one of your weakest and is pretty stale. Some of your other trash talk has made me laugh, gotta edit out the losing bits.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Shannon is playing because a federal judge said the public university can’t suspend him without giving him due process.

Actually, Shannon is allowed to potentially play. The school is choosing not to enforce its own discipline.

The "due process" argument is all based on a formally written process to resolve student discipline issues at U of I. When the Lawrence Kansas DA formally charged Shannon with a felony, the University accepted that as a legitimate investigation (correctly). They did not go thru the written process themselves. Shannon sued (essentially on the same level as "you didn't read me my Miranda rights")

The judge (incorrectly in my view) decided that Shannon had not been afforded his "rights" as a student subject to discipline, because the University didn't conduct a full investigation.

But the University has no obligation whatsoever to put Shannon in games.
Any other decision demeans the university because they are failing to enforce a policy that they would certainly enforce against any other student.

Shannon is playing because a federal judge said the public university can’t suspend him without giving him due process. And the Univerity leadership told Underwood to “treat him as any other member of the team in good standing and not limit participation based on the involved allegations”. Not Underwood, not the AD, the actual University themselves.

I’m not a lawyer but I’m assuming that’s “we’re not getting sued again for reinstating him but benching him” CYA policy. I know nothing more about it, but I do know that it’s extremely rare for the University to act in the interest of athletics, so I highly doubt that the University made the call for the benefit of the basketball program.
I'm glad you agree with me that the judge did not require they allow Shannon to play and that Shannon seeing the court is completely up to Underwood as the team coach deciding who he wants to play.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Actually, Shannon is allowed to potentially play. The school is choosing not to enforce its own discipline.

The "due process" argument is all based on a formally written process to resolve student discipline issues at U of I. When the Lawrence Kansas DA formally charged Shannon with a felony, the University accepted that as a legitimate investigation (correctly). They did not go thru the written process themselves. Shannon sued (essentially on the same level as "you didn't read me my Miranda rights")

The judge (incorrectly in my view) decided that Shannon had not been afforded his "rights" as a student subject to discipline, because the University didn't conduct a full investigation.

But the University has no obligation whatsoever to put Shannon in games.
Any other decision demeans the university because they are failing to enforce a policy that they would certainly enforce against any other student.
The implication being that the University is voluntarily not following their own policy for the purpose of benefiting the basketball team by allowing Shannon to play basketball? After already suspending him earlier? And doing so in the face of strong public backlash? I find that remarkably unlikely, but on this point I doubt we will agree.

The implication being that the University is voluntarily not following their own policy for the purpose of benefiting the basketball team by allowing Shannon to play basketball? After already suspending him earlier? And doing so in the face of strong public backlash? I find that remarkably unlikely, but on this point I doubt we will agree.
Thats what I'm saying. But I don't know which way you see the backlash blowing.
National backlash seems opposite the backlash from the fanbase/alums.

I'm saying the judge gave them an opportunity to drag their feet on their internal investigation, thereby getting the alums off their backs. Problem solved.

I would not be shocked if the undies underperform for the rest of the season. And, looking back, the talking heads point to Shannon being a distraction.

Which, is a good argument to bench him, a lot. Mostly in away games. He played 40 of 45 in Evanston.

Underwood might have nothing to do with the decision. But, in the troll's tongue in cheek's words, he DGAF.

• Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
There might also be some locker room drama going on that we don't know about. Several of their starters seemed distracted and playing a bit out of control. Maybe just overconfidence, maybe the crowd got to them (highly unlikely imho), but they swam in and out of focus all game.

It's a specious argument to make because Underwood has total control over who actually sees the court and how many minutes they are on it. It is 100% his choice to play Shannon at all. The only reason Shannon is playing is because Underwood has decided he wants Shannon to play.

The court order only requires Shannon not be suspended. There is nothing in it about him actually being allowed to play in any game. He can keep Shannon on the team, in practices and even suited up for games, without ever putting him on the hardwood.

I, for one, would be fascinated by a court order requiring he receive playing time, how the minutes might be determined, and the how requirement might be justified by a court.
Shannon was a captain and went to center court before the game to represent his team. That was surprising to me. I was also surprised that he started the game.

Shannon was a captain and went to center court before the game to represent his team. That was surprising to me. I was also surprised that he started the game.
He’s getting ready for the prison yard games… oh no! Too soon? Lol

Shannon is playing because a federal judge said the public university can’t suspend him without giving him due process. And the Univerity leadership told Underwood to “treat him as any other member of the team in good standing and not limit participation based on the involved allegations”. Not Underwood, not the AD, the actual University themselves.

I’m not a lawyer but I’m assuming that’s “we’re not getting sued again for reinstating him but benching him” CYA policy. I know nothing more about it, but I do know that it’s extremely rare for the University to act in the interest of athletics, so I highly doubt that the University made the call for the benefit of the basketball program.
Sounds like weak moral fiber to me.

Something is off about his game but I can’t get my finger in it.
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT