ADVERTISEMENT

B1G opponents 24/25

Can't complain about getting Iowa and Maryland twice!
I heard they're both scouting their intramural playoffs for talent.

Reactions: ricko654321
Will take some time getting used to some of these names

Illinois, Iowa, Maryland 2x. In some years that could be a tough draw. Last year though, neither Iowa nor Maryland was very good. Next year? Who knows.

I think if my interpretation of the B1G scheduling is correct we will continue to play 1 rival (Illinois) home and home each year as we have in recent years. The other 2 repeat games will likely rotate. Interestingly enough (and probably smart in terms of managing a bad travel situation) all of the West Coast teams get home and homes against each other.

Static repeat matchups I believe are:
Illinois-Northwestern
Indiana-Purdue
Wisconsin-Minnesota
Nebraska-Iowa
Michigan-MSU
OSU-Maryland
Penn St-Rutgers
UCLA/USC/Washington/Oregon

I am curious if they will batch our @USC and @UCLA games into one road trip to LA. Then the next year maybe they batch the @Wash and @Oregon games into one. Can't really do that for football but for basketball it seems doable. Makes the travel manageable for the Midwest teams. It's still going to be rough for Pacific teams, and to a lesser extent for the Eastern teams like Rutgers PSU Maryland.

Reactions: drewjin
Only 2 west coast games. That's nice or is everyone in the old B10/14 getting that deal?

I am curious if they will batch our @USC and @UCLA games into one road trip to LA. Then the next year maybe they batch the @Wash and @Oregon games into one. Can't really do that for football but for basketball it seems doable. Makes the travel manageable for the Midwest teams. It's still going to be rough for Pacific teams, and to a lesser extent for the Eastern teams like Rutgers PSU Maryland.
Teams used to do this all the time. MLB teams do this now, and it makes sense.

Can't complain about getting Iowa and Maryland twice!
I heard they're both scouting their intramural playoffs for talent.
Maryland has added a boatload of talent. Iowa will have a solid core returning. They need to add some pieces. A lot depends on Sandfort returning. Dix is a good player. Freeman is a good center. I like Harding at the point.

Maryland has added a boatload of talent. Iowa will have a solid core returning. They need to add some pieces. A lot depends on Sandfort returning. Dix is a good player. Freeman is a good center. I like Harding at the point.
So you're saying you like Dix.

Sorry, I resort to either 7th grade humor or dad jokes

Iowa has had 4 of their top 7 guys depart.
Tony Perkins, Patrick McCaffrey to Mizzou and Butler. Dasonte Bowen in the portal. Ben Krikke out of eligibility.
The only incoming transfer so far is the starting point guard from Morehead State.
One of the incoming freshmen (Cooper Koch, Chris Tadjo) could contribute next year.
So they've got Sandfort, Freeman, Dix and hope that guys improve.
Definitely looking like a "good team to play twice" at this point.

Maryland lost their star Jahmir Young, Donta Scott (3rd in minutes), Jordan Geronimo (5th), Jamie Kaiser (6th), Mady Traore (8th), Noah Batchelor (9th), Jahnathan Lamothe (10th) and Calum Swanton-Rodger (11th).
Returning are Julian Reese, DeShawn Harris-Smith and Jahari Long.
Portal pickups include Ja'Kobi Gillespie a scoring guard from Belmont who looks pretty good.
Rodney Rice, who was a top 100 recruit 2 years ago but struggled at Virginia Tech and then quit the team and sat out last season.
Selton Miguel, a guard who played 2 years at Kansas State then 2 years at South Florida and comes in after averaging 14+ points per game as their 6th man, playing 28 minutes a game, but only starting 5 times.
Tafara Gapare who played 18 minutes a game as a Georgia Tech sophomore, 5 ppg.
They do have "Top 15" freshman Derik Queen coming in. If he lives up to his ratings, Maryland might be able to have a winning record in the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT