ADVERTISEMENT

Blake Smith Appreciation Thread

AdamOnFirst

Nov 29, 2021
If you were to search through my posts around here the last few weeks, you would find a fairly skeptical attitude towards his ability to contribute beyond token amount.

Tonight, he called BS on all that. He was far from perfect and still isn’t a guy I need to see handling the ball a lot, but he stepped out there as a young walkon and played competent, competitive defense against a Jahmir Young led team and made a few key and excellent offensive plays, especially in the paint. We needed him tonight and he delivered. Very impressive, maybe this team is deep!

If you were to search through my posts around here the last few weeks, you would find a fairly skeptical attitude towards his ability to contribute beyond token amount.

Tonight, he called BS on all that. He was far from perfect and still isn’t a guy I need to see handling the ball a lot, but he stepped out there as a young walkon and played competent, competitive defense against a Jahmir Young led team and made a few key and excellent offensive plays, especially in the paint. We needed him tonight and he delivered. Very impressive, maybe this team is deep!
All three (Smith, Clayton and Mullins) are getting valuable minutes and for the most part they have held their own. And each has made valuable contributions

Who is Blake Smith? He’s a walk on? Where did he come from? Why wasn’t he recruited by anyone? How come he’s playing ahead of our scholarship guards? Bad recruiting or he’s a lucky find for us?

Let’s not forget Reggie Hearn was one of the better players we’ve ever had by the end of his career. Why can’t Blake be the next Reggie.
Reggie had his story. He played on a team in Hs where at 6’5 he was the tallest guy and had to play center. Never was evaluated as anything but a short big. At the B1G level he played a more natural position for his height and was well sized as a guard.

What’s Blake Smith’s story?

Who is Blake Smith? He’s a walk on? Where did he come from? Why wasn’t he recruited by anyone? How come he’s playing ahead of our scholarship guards? Bad recruiting or he’s a lucky find for us?
He has the athleticism and showed he can play D against one of the best in the country. Showed that the moment was not to big for him and took advantage of couple of offensive opportunities he got. And remember the number that Gragg did on our recruiting last year. Coaching staff saw something in him and wanted to develop it, This is his second year and they wanted to RS him because of his potential but he burned it to help out when Berry went down, Got to figure he will probably be on scholarship after this year

Reggie had his story. He played on a team in Hs where at 6’5 he was the tallest guy and had to play center. Never was evaluated as anything but a short big. At the B1G level he played a more natural position for his height and was well sized as a guard.

Good athlete. Dad was a walk-on at North Carolina. Seems like an excellent leader.

More importantly, he’s a little skinny, but he sure looked like he belonged again last night. Found a few offensive boards on a night NU wasn’t. Made his free throws. Contributed pretty consistent defense on a tough matchup. Started in a B1G road win.

Hearn fell into NU’s lap. It’s possible Smith has as well. Journalism major who hopes to work in sports media.

@lou v, @mshelton33, was he a preferred walk-on?

Blake has likely spent his short time at NU matching up against Boo Buie, Chase Audige, Ty Berry and Ryan Langborg in practice. That’s a recipe for quickly leveling up.

Um, by my count he’s playing in front of exactly one scholarship guard — a freshman who is not ready for prime time and likely needs a year in strength and conditioning even more than Clayton.

Blake was forced to play 1 on 5 in high school because he was home schooled. He usually lost, but learned how to play zone defense.

I don't know if I've said this before, but I've been rooting for Blake since I ran into his parents last year in Sacramento and chatted with them a bit. They were delightful, so excited for him, and their happy enthusiasm won me over.

I am not a body language expert by any means, but whenever I look at Blake Smith between plays, he just seems unfazed. Like it's no big deal he's in the game. Some young players seem a little geeked up (I love Hunger's enthusiasm, for example), but Smith just composes himself like a real veteran. Sure, he's thin, and he may never be a star in this league, but he seems like he belongs. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

I believe NU has 12 scholarship players on the roster right now, so one is open. I think it should have Smith's name on it.
Could Collins award a scholarship for just this year? Even if everybody who can returns we’ll need a guard transfer next year, we need a little space.

I believe NU has 12 scholarship players on the roster right now, so one is open. I think it should have Smith's name on it.
I don't remember ever hearing about a scholarship being awarded retroactively, so I don't think this year's roster count is an issue. For next year we have three guys definitely leaving and only two coming in. That leaves two spots open. I was thinking a veteran point guard and an inside banger, but maybe Smith gets one of those scholarships.

Could Collins award a scholarship for just this year? Even if everybody who can returns we’ll need a guard transfer next year, we need a little space.
In the Big Ten, signing in HS is a 4 year scholarship. If it isn't directly from HS then it is year to year. At least this is how it works for B10 rowing.

I think 12 are in use now. Three guys leave (Preston?) and two are signed. That leaves two open.

This year is done so I doubt it. Scholarship would be for next year and beyond

Reactions: PPLESCHER
Will be cheering very loudly for Blake when he enters (starts?) the game on Saturday. Really happy for him. Go ‘Cats!

Turns out Blake Smith went to my high school. For years we turned out D1 basketball players under our legend of a coach, I think my junior or senior year the entire starting 5 played D1. Think he retired before he would've coached Blake though.

Lou V I said the same thing to my friends on group texts last night. He’s earned it, even if just from that game alone. I say find him a scholly. We are gonna need him down the stretch.

Turns out Blake Smith went to my high school. For years we turned out D1 basketball players under our legend of a coach, I think my junior or senior year the entire starting 5 played D1. Think he retired before he would've coached Blake though.
It's a great school and I know a couple of kids from my area in Western Pa. who went there, but I believe Blake was home schooled. Looking forward to Blake becoming a major contributor down the stretch.

It's a great school and I know a couple of kids from my area in Western Pa. who went there, but I believe Blake was home schooled. Looking forward to Blake becoming a major contributor down the stretch.
The article I linked doesn’t mention homeschooling.

@Hungry Jack, if you’re not careful, pretty soon this board will be monitoring tmz for SalmJack sightings.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was home schooled up until high school, but I don't think he would've been eligible to play for the team if he wasn't attending school there. We always recruited athletes to enter high school.

In PA home schooled or charter school students may play for the school in the district where they live. Unless the charter school has that sport.

Reactions: No Chores
In PA home schooled or charter school students may play for the school in the district where they live. Unless the charter school has that sport.
Which is why Hudaifa Ismaeli played for Pittsburgh Fifth Avenue H.S. even though he was home schooled. The same may be true for Blake Smith at Germantown Academy because I know he was home schooled. He was raised in Blue Bell Pa. Cappy might know.

Which is why Hudaifa Ismaeli played for Pittsburgh Fifth Avenue H.S. even though he was home schooled. The same may be true for Blake Smith at Germantown Academy because I know he was home schooled. He was raised in Blue Bell Pa. Cappy might know.
GA is a private school, so I doubt that would've applied to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT