ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Joseph enters the portal…

Run off content, turn the board into a homer board supporting a loser program and see how long it lasts. Scout…
Ahh too true. Have enjoyed my time off here due to work vacation but this one is too true to avoid comment. The MAGA-like King Fitzy cult can't handle a dose of truth and (like MAGAs) are unreachable.

BJ was a captain and walked (ironically I think Ben Skrowronek was too).

Ahh too true. Have enjoyed my time off here due to work vacation but this one is too true to avoid comment. The MAGA-like King Fitzy cult can't handle a dose of truth and (like MAGAs) are unreachable.

BJ was a captain and walked (ironically I think Ben Skrowronek was too).
You’ve got to trust in Fitz. He’s the best coach in program history.

You’ve got to trust in Fitz. He’s the best coach in program history.
Compared to what? That's like saying its the nicest car in a junkyard. He also presided over some of the most humiliating losses in the modern era.
1. Michigan State this year in yards allowed
2. Nebraska 2021
3. Akron in 2018
4. WMU and ILSU in 2016
5. NIU in '14

Compared to what? That's like saying its the nicest car in a junkyard. He also presided over some of the most humiliating losses in the modern era.
1. Michigan State this year in yards allowed
2. Nebraska 2021
3. Akron in 2018
4. WMU and ILSU in 2016
5. NIU in '14
Yeah Fitz is terrible. He's the only coach to win a bowl game in school history since the Dark Ages. Actually he won 5 out of the last 6 bowls. Just awful. He also won 2 division championships. Horrible. All time winningest coach in school history. So incompetent. But let's just focus on his failures only. Carry on!

Last edited:
So you state the reason for his departure is unknown, but then speculate it may be for NIL purposes which would be a bearish data point for NU.

That’s a bridge too far for me.
My statements are pointing out a few facts I think are interesting, trying to avoid speculating too much based on them but still thinking about possible implications, and waiting to see how those data points conform with new information we may earn later. If you think shooting from the hip makes more sense, fine. If you have a different opinion on which facts are interesting, want to mention facts I don’t know, or have a different perspective on possible implications of all those facts, I’d love to hear your thoughts, that’s why we’re here.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Not a big deal IMO. He thinks he’s a first rounder. He’s not . More like a FA at best. He had a shit year. Missed more tackles than made. It happens. Move on. Sky is not falling. Don’t be fooled by 2020 season. Happens at every school.

Our fans will say its all Fitz’s fault. A loss yes, a big loss…no… no different than and a 2nd team all big ten guy graduating.
Agreed! Missed a ton of tackles! He will have a Bowser like campaign!

Reactions: Rebel II
My statements are pointing out a few facts I think are interesting, trying to avoid speculating too much based on them but still thinking about possible implications, and waiting to see how those data points conform with new information we may earn later. If you think shooting from the hip makes more sense, fine. If you have a different opinion on which facts are interesting, want to mention facts I don’t know, or have a different perspective on possible implications of all those facts, I’d love to hear your thoughts, that’s why we’re here.
I think he is in the portal for two reasons. Players want 1) to win and 2) enhance their professional stock. He feels somewhere else is better for both of those outcomes. The real money is in the NFL.

Not a chance in hell. When he leaves,he is going to the NFL.

Why must you make proclamations like this? I mean it's a message board and it's your right to do so and I would have thought Skoronski transferring was complete nonsense, but now you have me nervous.

You're the Lee Corso of these boards. The Kiss of Death.

Why must you make proclamations like this? I mean it's a message board and it's your right to do so and I would have thought Skoronski transferring was complete nonsense, but now you have me nervous.

You're the Lee Corso of these boards. The Kiss of Death.

LOL coming from you, the QB Whisperer, that’s really hilarious.

Yeah Fitz is terrible. He's the only coach to win a bowl game in school history since the Dark Ages. Actually he won 5 out of the last 6 bowls. Just awful. He also won 2 division championships. Horrible. All time winningest coach in school history. So incompetent. But let's just focus on his failures only. Carry on!
I think you are both right. Fitz is without a doubt the best coach NU has had but the bar wasn’t really high. And his extreme loyalty to his staff and stubbornness to not adapt concepts and predictable/boring style of play calling has led to some pretty embarrassing losses. With the facilities and support that football now has bowl games should be expected. I expect 5-6 wins every year as a floor and that we are at least respectable. 2021 was unwatchable and I’m shocked we aren’t seeing more changes for 2022.

I think you are both right. Fitz is without a doubt the best coach NU has had but the bar wasn’t really high. And his extreme loyalty to his staff and stubbornness to not adapt concepts and predictable/boring style of play calling has led to some pretty embarrassing losses. With the facilities and support that football now has bowl games should be expected. I expect 5-6 wins every year as a floor and that we are at least respectable. 2021 was unwatchable and I’m shocked we aren’t seeing more changes for 2022.
I'd take Gary Barnett any day over Fitz.

I’m not about just being a WLP regurgitator, but their analogy of NU as a Disney kingdom with a benevolent and loved but totally unaccountable monarch was totally spot on. We love our leaders in Aryndale, and sometimes things are good, but yeah sometimes they accidentally freeze the entire kingdom into a perpetual winter for a generation. You win some you lose some.

It's a shame such a low bar was set by Pappy Waldorf, Ara Parseghian, Gary Barnett, and Randy Walker.

And IMO, Fitz hasn't quite cleared the Parseghian and Barnett high bar, except in having longer-lasting success than they had due to Ara and Gary taking 'better' jobs elsewhere. However, two West division titles, ten bowl games, and four straight bowl wins speak for themselves at one of the most difficult programs to win at in college football.

It's a shame such a low bar was set by Pappy Waldorf, Ara Parseghian, Gary Barnett, and Randy Walker.

And IMO, Fitz hasn't quite cleared the Parseghian and Barnett high bar, except in having longer-lasting success than they had due to Ara and Gary taking 'better' jobs elsewhere. However, two West division titles, ten bowl games, and four straight bowl wins speak for themselves at one of the most difficult programs to win at in college football.
No doubt that Fitz deserves the credit for all of those successful seasons. But you can't ignore or minimize the importance of Hank during that period. We won games mainly on our defense over the last decade or so.

So now it's up to Fitz to make sure that continues to happen. However, his choice for Hank's replacement is cause for serious concern.

And the question is how much of Joseph's decision to transfer is directly related to the coaching change.

Yes he was given a job at a historically poor program. He has parlayed that success into contracts and facilities. So do you get paid for success and no accountability for the failures? Therefore, we should expect a division title in 2022?

Yes he was given a job at a historically poor program. He has parlayed that success into contracts and facilities. So do you get paid for success and no accountability for the failures? Therefore, we should expect a division title in 2022?

Who's saying he isn't accountable for the failures? I'm talking about people losing their minds here and wanting Fitz fired. Do that and no good coach will ever coach at NU. NOBODY.

Who's saying he isn't accountable for the failures? I'm talking about people losing their minds here and wanting Fitz fired. Do that and no good coach will ever coach at NU. NOBODY.
I love Fitz, but let’s be real; he’s one of the least accountable coaches in the country. He has almost no media coverage and half of media there are powerless, reader-less students that he can give non answers to to his hearts content. He has an extremely long term contract that makes him extremely difficult to fire (even if that weren’t a dumb idea). He’s totally insulated from criticism of his posoitional coaches (no other school in the country would have seen McCall last like that, and JON would already be gone at the vast majority).

This environment is actually the one thing about Fitz that concerns me. A lack of accountability is not good for an organization and CAN, doesn’t have to but CAN, lead to corruption or stagnation. Obviously Penn State is a very extreme example, but we saw it there. It can also dull the knife of an otherwise exemplary performer, so to speak. Just like competition is an important force in commerce and innovation, accountability is important for leadership.

All most of us who don’t have millions to donate can really do on this matter is cross our fingers that Fitz doesn’t fall to any of these perils.

I love Fitz, but let’s be real; he’s one of the least accountable coaches in the country. He has almost no media coverage and half of media there are powerless, reader-less students that he can give non answers to to his hearts content. He has an extremely long term contract that makes him extremely difficult to fire (even if that weren’t a dumb idea). He’s totally insulated from criticism of his posoitional coaches (no other school in the country would have seen McCall last like that, and JON would already be gone at the vast majority).

This environment is actually the one thing about Fitz that concerns me. A lack of accountability is not good for an organization and CAN, doesn’t have to but CAN, lead to corruption or stagnation. Obviously Penn State is a very extreme example, but we saw it there. It can also dull the knife of an otherwise exemplary performer, so to speak. Just like competition is an important force in commerce and innovation, accountability is important for leadership.

All most of us who don’t have millions to donate can really do on this matter is cross our fingers that Fitz doesn’t fall to any of these perils.

You know nothing about Fitz and his accountability to the school but keep pretending that you do.

You know nothing about Fitz and his accountability to the school but keep pretending that you do.
Ignorant, stupid comment. You’ll notice I didn’t say he doesn’t do things to keep himself accountable. What I said are simple, observable, and frankly obvious facts. Fitz simple doesn’t have to face any public music like nearly any other coach in the country does. That is a massive portion of the accountability most coaches face. I also pointed to several decisions on assistants that simply would never happen at other schools.

So go ahead and try again!

Reactions: Ryanfield124

Which is why I hope an AD with a spine and a new President not loyal to Fitz might help. The AD can fire all the asst coaches if he wants, replace with his own. He can add co-head coach. He can make PF miserable. True, this is nuclear option and I never see it happening. But I can see the AD firing asst coaches. At that point, PF will have to make the tough choice - walk away from millions by quitting or learn how to place nice with others - especially when those others have power too.

And before more nonsense about nobody coming here thereafter...fine. A. Don't believe it. 2. Wouldn't be worse than maintaining the status quo. iii. PF, by spilling that T around the NCAA, would probably kill his own career and destroy any legacy of a football program at NU. If PF is all that many claim him to be, I doubt he would burn Rome to prove a stubborn ass point.

No man is irreplaceable. If you believe that to be wrong, you are either a terrible manager or an emplyee with an over inflated sense of self worth.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Ignorant, stupid comment. You’ll notice I didn’t say he doesn’t do things to keep himself accountable. What I said are simple, observable, and frankly obvious facts. Fitz simple doesn’t have to face any public music like nearly any other coach in the country does. That is a massive portion of the accountability most coaches face. I also pointed to several decisions on assistants that simply would never happen at other schools.

So go ahead and try again!

Don't need to. I nailed it the first time.

Call my comment ignorant and stupid, fine. At least I know the limits of my knowledge and don't pretend to know "obvious facts" that I really don't know. From what I've seen, most good coaches don't worry about pressure from the fans as much as that from the administration, major boosters, and their own pride. Fans are usually clueless about what's going on within a program anyway and are regarded as less "massive".

No man is irreplaceable. If you believe that to be wrong, you are either a terrible manager or an emplyee with an over inflated sense of self worth.

Nonsense. You're not replaceable if you're a pioneer in a new field or have valuable, esoteric skills developed over a career.

Anyway, Fitz is an excellent fit for the program and has been very successful at small, academic, NU. It may take a few years but Fitz will get us winning again. We might get lucky and find someone who could match his success, but I think it's far more likely that they'd fall short across the measures of success at NU.

Last edited:
Reactions: FeralFelidae

Call my comment ignorant and stupid, fine. At least I know the limits of my knowledge and don't pretend to know "obvious facts" that I really don't know. From what I've seen, most good coaches don't worry about pressure from the fans as much as that from the administration, major boosters, and their own pride. Fans are usually clueless about what's going on within a program anyway and are regarded as less "massive".
You’re delusional

Nonsense. You're not easily replaceable if you're a pioneer in a new field or have valuable, esoteric skills developed over a career.

Anyway, Fitz is an excellent fit for the program and has been very successful at small, academic, NU. It may take a few years but Fitz will get us winning again. We might get lucky and find someone who could match his success, but I think it's far more likely that they'd fall short across the measures of success at NU.
Guess we will see. I’m betting on a man that closed his way to AD and a new and athletically ambivalent president. Should be an interesting 12 months.

Nonsense. You're not easily replaceable if you're a pioneer in a new field or have valuable, esoteric skills developed over a career.

Like how you changed “no man is replaceable” with “no man is easily replaceable”. Hiring a football coach at a power 5 school isn’t easy but it is definitely doable. Fitz struck gold with Hank. He struck out with JON.

if you think Fitz is held as accountable as other power 5 coaches, you are nuts. Full stop.

Delusional and unreachable.

Once king Fitzy is gone maybe he and the Pro-Fitz crew will storm the campus looking to re-instate him. The parallels here are too ripe. Imagine if OSU thought replacing Woody Hayes impossible? What would they continue to tolerate?

"Fans are usually clueless about what's going on within a program anyway..." I know what getting our asses kicked by Nebraska, MSU, and Illinois looks like. Truly, my response isn't for you but to the people here that need to see how apathetic and compliant some NU fans are to Fitz and his "Wildcat-Gaslamp-nation" he has created.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Delusional and unreachable.

"This is Houston to Gladeskat, Houston to Gladeskat, Come in Gladeskat."

"Houston to Gladeskat, Houston to Gladeskat, Come in Gladeskat..."

"Houston, this is Gladeskat, can you read me?"

"Roger Gladeskat, we can barely read you. Give us your present coordinates?"

"Houston, I'm above Ryan Field, Evanston, Illinois. I see Pat Fitzerald with the team and
...MY GOD! IT'S FULL OF STARS!"

"Gladeskat, this is Houston. Stars? What is full of stars?...Gladeskat! Come in Gladeskat!"

"This is Houston, come in Gladeskat!"

"This is Houston to Gladeskat, Houston to Gladeskat, Come in Gladeskat."

"Houston to Gladeskat, Houston to Gladeskat, Come in Gladeskat..."

"Houston, this is Gladeskat, can you read me?"

"Roger Gladeskat, we can barely read you. Give us your present coordinates?"

"Houston, I'm above Ryan Field, Evanston, Illinois. I see Pat Fitzerald with the team and
...MY GOD! IT'S FULL OF STARS!"

"Gladeskat, this is Houston. Stars? What is full of stars?...Gladeskat! Come in Gladeskat!"

"This is Houston, come in Gladeskat!"
I guess you've just ascended beyond our mundane understanding, StarGlades.

Like how you changed “no man is replaceable” with “no man is easily replaceable”. Hiring a football coach at a power 5 school isn’t easy but it is definitely doable. Fitz struck gold with Hank. He struck out with JON.

if you think Fitz is held as accountable as other power 5 coaches, you are nuts. Full stop.

You're right. I removed "easily". Thanks!

Yes, I think he does. The difference is he's got a lot of accumulated trust as a model D1 football coach and is far from depleting it over a poor season. By the way, I'm not defending JON here at all. Nobody can defend that performance last year. I put trust in Fitz that he'll work this out.

You're right. I removed "easily". Thanks!

Yes, I think he does. The difference is he's got a lot of accumulated trust as a model D1 football coach and is far from depleting it over a poor season. By the way, I'm not defending JON here at all. Nobody can defend that performance last year. I put trust in Fitz that he'll work this out.
Things where we agree: a) I trust Fitz to (eventually) do the right thing. b) we don't truly know how accountable he is and c) He has a stock of trust or "goodwill" upon which he can draw.

Where we disagree: i) He is too slow to react, and often reacts poorly, to adverse situations. We were so thrilled to get rid of McCall, and so outraged with JON this year, that nobody notices that the offense is basically as bad as 2019. Ryan Day stuck Kerry Coombs in the doghouse after one bad game and hired a top DC as soon as the season was over. Bert exceeded all expectations and STILL fired his OC. We are stuck with tweedle-dum and tweedle-dumber as coordinators. Stubborn or slow to react, I don't care, but he's not taking the necessary steps ii) I hope we can agree that he is often an insolent, arrogant pr1ck in interviews, often to people less than half his age who tentatively try to ask tough questions about his moribund team. This shows a lack of accountability and respect, at least to fans and the press. Perhaps Gragg has him by the bal1s, but in public, Fitz does and says what he wants. c) his accumulated trust, as you say, is accurate. We are not like other programs in that respect, but for Duke and TCU to get rid of, arguably their best coaches ever (TCU) or in my long lifetime (Duke) is indicative that other schools are willing to cash-out of their positions if the coach breaks the trust.

Further to i) above, I am concerned that, even if he rights the ship, it may not be sustainable in the portal/NIL era.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT