ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Richardson, 2020 QB, signed

The John Shurna of NU FB

Terrell Pryor did ok at dOSU throwing like that

Any comparison to a 6'6 inch guy, who could run a 4.5, throw and had 4/5 star receivers, linemen and Rb's... should be avoided.

He has a very awkward looking release, but in his defense he gets it out pretty quick and seems to have a nice touch and awareness. Not a bad looking prospect and we didn't exactly have 5 star QB's knocking at our door.

Any comparison to a 6'6 inch guy, who could run a 4.5, throw and had 4/5 star receivers, linemen and Rb's... should be avoided.

He has a very awkward looking release, but in his defense he gets it out pretty quick and seems to have a nice touch and awareness. Not a bad looking prospect and we didn't exactly have 5 star QB's knocking at our door.

1520 SAT ain’t too shabby either. He shouldn’t have much trouble picking up the offense.

The more I learn about this young fella, the more I like. I am wondering what he is going to study at NU?? Sounds like and is, evidently really smart and talented academically too. Maybe premed or prelaw?
He said in an interview a couple months ago that he’s eyeing an Econ major

I don't know how this kid was so off the radar. 34 TD's with only 7 interceptions. 71% completion percentage is Persa-esque. Seems to have a strong enough arm and some good wheels.

I'm not too worried about the release. John Huarte at Notre Dame won a Heisman with one of the strangest releases ever — didn't seem to bother Ara too much. I like his touch on the deep balls — doesn't seem to hang it up there for an eternity, but gives his receivers time to get under it. He's not a burner, but his speed might be deceptive as the long-stride tall guys such as him always look a little slower on film. Given how the roof has fallen in on us at this position lately, I think he's a good pickup at this stage.

Last edited:
It’s a pretty good pickup to go from losing our 1-year committed QB to a criminal charge and firing and hiring a new OC within the last few weeks, to picking up a high-academics kid from CA with offers from high powered passing teams WSU and Boise St., and Stanford athlete parents. Guessing he stayed uncommitted in pet because he wanted an offer from a great academics school like Stanford, UCLA, U Dub - or NU! Glad we got him.

Really like what I've been reading on this kid (like CR more than Wright).

I don't know how this kid was so off the radar. 34 TD's with only 7 interceptions. 71% completion percentage is Persa-esque. Seems to have a strong enough arm and some good wheels.

Well, Salinas is kinda the boonies for Cali.

Last edited:
He called NU.
And why is that?

Why would a kid from a dusty small town near the Central Coast seek out a program way beyond the mountains and flyover states? Why would a highly intelligent, physically skilled football player tell one of the most accomplished QB developers in college football to wait on his commitment?

Why?

Why would a kid with real options power conference options pursue Northwestern? Why would he look for his program half a continent away? Why would he commit via Facetime?

Willy, sometimes you make me want to hit myself in the forehead with a 2x4 again.

And why is that?

Why would a kid from a dusty small town near the Central Coast seek out a program way beyond the mountains and flyover states? Why would a highly intelligent, physically skilled football player tell one of the most accomplished QB developers in college football to wait on his commitment?

Why?

Why would a kid with real options power conference options pursue Northwestern? Why would he look for his program half a continent away? Why would he commit via Facetime?

Willy, sometimes you make me want to hit myself in the forehead with a 2x4 again.
Because that's what he said he did. Don't hurt yourself.

Because that's what he said he did. Don't hurt yourself.
Recruits call NU all the time. Most of the time they aren’t Power Conference talent or even close. We had a QB commit for over a year that we anticipated signing. Once that fell through we had two prospects identified. And once that didn’t happen, Carl became an option to us. We were always an option for Carl.

You and Darthcat need to get over the notion that this kid was the only QB calling NU to deaf ears.

Once we needed to move to plan C, we did our homework and secured his commitment. A damn good Plan C if you ask me.

Last edited:
He called NU.

This post by @willycat is actually quite a brilliant troll job. With just 3 words he addresses multiple insecurities of the NU fan base about Mr. Richardson.

1. Is he not good enough to be recruited by NU?
2. Are NU coaches missing key recruits?
3. Is the kid so desperate he'll jump at any Power 5 offer?
4. Is there some hidden flaw that scared away other big programs?

Well done, sir.

(Simple answer to all these questions, by the way, is a resounding @gocatsgo2003 "No").

Last edited:
And why is that?

Why?

Do all of us a favor and hit Willy instead

This post by @willycat is actually quite a brilliant troll job. With just 3 words he addresses multiple insecurities of the NU fan base about Mr. Richardson.

Well done, sir.

(Simple answer to all these questions, by the way, is a resounding @gocatsgo2003 "No").
Think you have them all just right.

Well done, sir.

He played me like a fiddle.

Reading Lou’s article from his interview and listening to his high school coach’s TV interview made me a believer.

Impliedly the new facilities made a big impression that apparently influenced his holding out for Northwestern.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Reading Lou’s article from his interview and listening to his high school coach’s TV interview made me a believer.

Impliedly the new facilities that he got to tour when he was in Evanston last year made a big impression that apparently influenced his holding out for Northwestern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT