ADVERTISEMENT

Cats land BC transfer AJ Turner

Wow, totally unexpected! Does he have to sit a year?

Some HS Film... looks like a solid 3 pt shot, long and lean in the mold of Law. Maybe not quite as athletic? Hard to tell... these highlights never show D.

[/QUOTE]

"Oppurtunity"???
Looks like he needs a good NU education also!

Interesting to read through the comments section of this article when he announced his intent to transfer. To summarize what I skimmed, seems like AJ will do well with a season off to work on his strength and conditioning. They laud his athleticism, but complain about lack of consistent production. Still, shot something like 35% from 3 and 42% overall which is solid. Maybe hard to be more productive when the pieces aren't there around you, and perhaps the coaching / system are sub-par. Don't know, haven't bothered to pay attention to BC. A very frustrated fan base overall. Been there.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...tballs-a-j-turner-granted-release-to-transfer

Welcome AJ, you're going to be a great Cat.

(It amazes me how little we really know about NU recruiting. They can really keep a lid on it.)

Reactions: Kelly_32
Interesting to read through the comments section of this article when he announced his intent to transfer. To summarize what I skimmed, seems like AJ will do well with a season off to work on his strength and conditioning. They laud his athleticism, but complain about lack of consistent production. Still, shot something like 35% from 3 and 42% overall which is solid. Maybe hard to be more productive when the pieces aren't there around you, and perhaps the coaching / system are sub-par. Don't know, haven't bothered to pay attention to BC. A very frustrated fan base overall. Been there.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...tballs-a-j-turner-granted-release-to-transfer

Props to the guy who predicted he would go to NU on 4/11 comment.

From my friend who watches almost every BC game:

Interesting. He's talented, one of the better recruits Christian has brought to BC (very low bar). Athletic, showed flashes, but was really inconsistent and disappeared for long stretches/games. Best case scenario is that he was worn down by the losing and can flourish on a better team.

Welcome AJ, you're going to be a great Cat.

(It amazes me how little we really know about NU recruiting. They can really keep a lid on it.)

I agree. I have recently begun to form a new opinion about CC's recruiting style and BB recruiting compared to FB recruiting. I think BB recruiting is a little more personal and in CC's mind more private builds a closer relationship.

We have been hearing, these last couple of days, about being close to guys or landing guys not even on the public radar for NU. CC plays it close to the vest. I like it if it has results but it is terrible for board gossip.

Feli slept on this one. A pleasant surprise.
Feli has provided all of us with a list of potential transfers, although not exhaustive. We need to be thankful that he spends his time delivering this interesting information.

Reactions: scru
I don't remember Feli ever saying he had inside info. He just brought us a lot of dream material. He can be contentious but I appreciated his effort he made in his effort to dream about possible transfers. The guy rubs me wrong once and a while but in this case he took flack for trying to be productive. People were calling him out unreasonably in these threads based on his past reputation.

Fair enough. But should truly be THANKFUL to him for hyperposting info that, as more than one poster pointed out, was easily accessible in the aggregate via a single link?

Feli has provided all of us with a list of potential transfers, although not exhaustive. We need to be thankful that he spends his time delivering this interesting information.

How long does it take you to switch between your two handles?

Some HS Film... looks like a solid 3 pt shot, long and lean in the mold of Law. Maybe not quite as athletic? Hard to tell... these highlights never show D.

Interesting addition. In the video that I have been able to find online, Turner seems quite similar to Falzon in terms of size, athleticism and skills. He had offers from some very strong programs out of high school, including Michigan State, Florida State and Iowa State.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/AJ-Turner-34266/RecruitInterests

In two years, we'll have (at least) 4 x top-150 forwards in Law, Turner, Falzon and Ivanauskas who can really shoot from distance. I expect that recruiting will focus heavily on guards for the 2018 class (and the remaining spot in the 2017 class).

Reactions: scru
I'm going to trust CCC and staff on this one, but the BC comments seem to be more than a bit underwhelming. While some talked about losing him being a disaster for the program, it seemed to be more from the fact that it was an indication of what a dumpster fire the program was and what it would say to recruits, than them losing a superstar. While many said he was a decent player, it was largely in the context of being serviceable and a role player. Others were saying he performed way below expectations, was a below average ACC player, better fit with a mid-major, no huge loss, etc... Kid's only a sophomore, and many fans did acknowledge the athleticism. Maybe he just needs some new scenery, some better coaching, and a year to get bigger.

Interesting addition. In the video that I have been able to find online, Turner seems quite similar to Falzon in terms of size, athleticism and skills. He had offers from some very strong programs out of high school, including Michigan State, Florida State and Iowa State.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/AJ-Turner-34266/RecruitInterests

In two years, we'll have (at least) 4 x top-150 forwards in Law, Turner, Falzon and Ivanauskas who can really shoot from distance. I expect that recruiting will focus heavily on guards for the 2018 class (and the remaining spot in the 2017 class).

I'd feel better if we started landing some real bigs. Either with condorian wingspan like Pardon or some seven footers like Gonzaga had.

Reactions: Sec.112
I'm going to trust CCC and staff on this one, but the BC comments seem to be more than a bit underwhelming. While some talked about losing him being a disaster for the program, it seemed to be more from the fact that it was an indication of what a dumpster fire the program was and what it would say to recruits, than them losing a superstar. While many said he was a decent player, it was largely in the context of being serviceable and a role player. Others were saying he performed way below expectations, was a below average ACC player, better fit with a mid-major, no huge loss, etc... Kid's only a sophomore, and many fans did acknowledge the athleticism. Maybe he just needs some new scenery, some better coaching, and a year to get bigger.

So you're telling us that you're basing your analysis off the comments of BC board posters? Essentially guys like yourself, Turk, VirginiaCat and Fitzphile? Gotcha.

In a couple of comments there is a hint that he needs this year off to develop strength and defensive skills. Maybe he thinks (and perhaps CC agrees) that he has NBA potential that was not getting coached up properly. If he comes in after this year off and produces well enough to be considered for the NBA, it will be a huge story IMO. That is two or three years off but he goes from an average performer in a name program like BC to a pro prospect under CC, that will be a kind of a win in the reputation column.

This has been such a surprise that there are a ton of questions about the reasons and goals of his transfer. I look forward to getting more details.

In a couple of comments there is a hint that he needs this year off to develop strength and defensive skills. Maybe he thinks (and perhaps CC agrees) that he has NBA potential that was not getting coached up properly. If he comes in after this year off and produces well enough to be considered for the NBA, it will be a huge story IMO. That is two or three years off but he goes from an average performer in a name program like BC to a pro prospect under CC, that will be a kind of a win in the reputation column.

This has been such a surprise that there are a ton of questions about the reasons and goals of his transfer. I look forward to getting more details.

BC isn't exactly a "name" college basketball program. They've been pretty awful for a while now.

Interesting addition.....No?AJ seems to be very a Falzon like player....No? This would
indicate that Rap is strictly a PF/4 guy...No? It's the B1G TEN....shouldn't the Cats have
a B1G GUY??? #lovetochriscollins

Has anyone found anything about his defensive ability? Lateral quickness? I stated a week or two ago that I thought the biggest hole our team had for next year was a 3 who could guard both inside and out on D and be versatile in switching situations a la Sanjay. Wonder if he is that guy, would be helpful against some teams in the conference.

Has anyone found anything about his defensive ability? Lateral quickness? I stated a week or two ago that I thought the biggest hole our team had for next year was a 3 who could guard both inside and out on D and be versatile in switching situations a la Sanjay. Wonder if he is that guy, would be helpful against some teams in the conference.

If by "next year" you mean 2017-18, he isn't eligible to play.

So you're telling us that you're basing your analysis off the comments of BC board posters? Essentially guys like yourself, Turk, VirginiaCat and Fitzphile? Gotcha.

On that same BC board, I saw a poster mention that Chris Collins should be targeted as a possible candidate to replace their current MBB coach.

Talk about overvaluing the team that you follow.

Last edited:
So, went over the BC bball site and a few things jump out....

* AJ looks to be a solid student and it's a guess, but the NU degree and possibly Kellogg are factors;
* He played more minutes per game than any BC player not named Jerome Robinson;
* His assist to turnover ratio was 3:1.

I'm super stoked to have him on the team. Seems as though BC is stumbling through a difficult patch so that's too bad.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT