ADVERTISEMENT

Collins: Stay or Go Criteria

What finish to the season should get Collins fired?

• Collins should always be fired short of winning the Big Ten Tournament or a miracle NCAA run

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Collins she be fired unless the team makes the NCAA

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • If this team is on the NCAA bubble and a high NIT, Collins can be retained

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Collins should be retained if the team makes the NIT

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Collins should be kept if they win another couple games but still miss the NIT

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Collins should not be fired this year at all

Votes: 36 38.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I take your question seriously. In the sense that Jesse is a very physical person, and, yes, smart as well. He, like a current counterpart, has little patience for disagreement, except Jesse had a more enlightened perspective. Jesse ultimately promoted conspiracy theories, which are not always a bad thing--like that the sun doesn't orbit the earth. His counterpart just flat out lies, about everything. I'm not sure that this has to do with mind and body being one, except that Trump is a brain floating in a blob of blubber. Herein is one argument for physical development as a part of education from primary through higher ed, and those with athletic talent should be encouraged, not discriminated against..

I don't know where you are going with this, but Northwestern is a private university and can do almost whatever it wants with its approach to education. Anything legal that is. Its policies tend to be progressive until it comes to having fun.

So you can't say NU "discriminates" against athletes. If you want to say that NU doesn't value "athletics" as much as it values music, drama, theatre, economics or engineering, thats fine. They get to decide what programs are important.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I don't know where you are going with this, but Northwestern is a private university and can do almost whatever it wants with its approach to education. Anything legal that is. Its policies tend to be progressive until it comes to having fun.

So you can't say NU "discriminates" against athletes. If you want to say that NU doesn't value "athletics" as much as it values music, drama, theatre, economics or engineering, thats fine. They get to decide what programs are important.
"They get to decide what programs are important." I agree with that. However, I can say that NU discriminates against athletes (talent), which is my underlying point (since intelligence is physical). They or you don't have to agree with me.

If anything, one could argue that NU discriminates in admissions in favor of athletes (good and probably necessary for a P5 school). I would also argue that NU values athletics very highly, just based on the amount of capital invested in facilities, and funds invested each year in scholarships for athletes. You really cannot judge whether or not a school "values" its athletes based on competition results or even admissions.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
If anything, one could argue that NU discriminates in admissions in favor of athletes (good and probably necessary for a P5 school). I would also argue that NU values athletics very highly, just based on the amount of capital invested in facilities, and funds invested each year in scholarships for athletes. You really cannot judge whether or not a school "values" its athletes based on competition results or even admissions.
I would say the University values the idea of athletes, not the athletes themselves, as much as they do purely academic students, thus the discrimination. We live in the shadow of the dark ages.

No we don't. It's just that your progressive buddies keep telling that life sucks more than ever and it's all gone to hell. Things are actually a lot better than they were 500 years ago.
Do you need me to explain what a shadow is? Things are a lot better than they were 50 years also.

Last edited:
No we don't. It's just that your progressive buddies keep telling that life sucks more than ever and it's all gone to hell. Things are actually a lot better than they were 500 years ago.
If you mean the actual Dark Ages, and not the 2 decade period in which our football team was dreadful, I believe they were more like 1000 years ago. Five hundred years ago was the middle of the Renaissance.

If you mean the actual Dark Ages, and not the 2 decade period in which our football team was dreadful, I believe they were more like 1000 years ago. Five hundred years ago was the middle of the Renaissance.
And the NU Dark Ages are over too. We have $300 million invested in athletic facilities with more to come.

All the doom and gloom about the big picture of NU is just another Prozac moment for those who enjoy feeling crappy.

And the NU Dark Ages are over too. We have $300 million invested in athletic facilities with more to come.

All the doom and gloom about the big picture of NU is just another Prozac moment for those who enjoy feeling crappy.
oh that last line made me laugh out loud.

Somehow this thread has devolved into

"Northwestern, one of the nation's top research universities, is too focused on academics"

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
oh that last line made me laugh out loud.

Somehow this thread has devolved into

"Northwestern, one of the nation's top research universities, is too focused on academics"
The institution is a research powerhouse, especially in medicine and technology. We also do pretty impressive stuff in the performing arts.

I love our athletics, and to St. Paul's point, they represent an ideal that the mind and body are arenas where excellence can be promoted and harvested. That's pie in the sky stuff that goes on an academic mission statement, but I think our scholar athletes often live up to this credo. It is something to be proud of (note: check out the stuff Coral reposted about football program grads doing important stuff in business and community endeavors). Our athletes are more than just performers.

But athletics are generally a sideshow to the research mission of the institution, and its efforts to create the next generation of elite researchers and scholars. Northwestern does not pursue a populist education mission. Far from it. We are about enabling elite minds to make world-shaping contributions. The athletics part is as much about engaging alumni to support the institution as they are about the mission of excellence.

So let's not kid ourselves that Northwestern is going lift the masses. As for athletes fortunate (and smart enough) to come to NU, it is a great opportunity for exceptional people who deserve a bigger stage. We demand a lot of our athletes, but they are given a stage that most young people never occupy.

Reactions: catfans5
The institution is a research powerhouse, especially in medicine and technology. We also do pretty impressive stuff in the performing arts.

I love our athletics, and to St. Paul's point, they represent an ideal that the mind and body are arenas where excellence can be promoted and harvested. That's pie in the sky stuff that goes on an academic mission statement, but I think our scholar athletes often live up to this credo. It is something to be proud of (note: check out the stuff Coral reposted about football program grads doing important stuff in business and community endeavors). Our athletes are more than just performers.

But athletics are generally a sideshow to the research mission of the institution, and its efforts to create the next generation of elite researchers and scholars. Northwestern does not pursue a populist education mission. Far from it. We are about enabling elite minds to make world-shaping contributions. The athletics part is as much about engaging alumni to support the institution as they are about the mission of excellence.

So let's not kid ourselves that Northwestern is going lift the masses. As for athletes fortunate (and smart enough) to come to NU, it is a great opportunity for exceptional people who deserve a bigger stage. We demand a lot of our athletes, but they are given a stage that most young people never occupy.
Thats quite an elegant statement. Thanks for writing it.

If I had a better handle on how well NU provides opportunities to brilliant, but financially disadvantaged kids, I might quibble with some of what you wrote. Tuition is so expensive for so many families that NU runs the risk of losing the economic diversity that makes a student population stronger.

It was one of my favorite questions to ask the student tour guides at various colleges I visited with my daughter. "How economically diverse would you say your school is?"

If I had a better handle on how well NU provides opportunities to brilliant, but financially disadvantaged kids, I might quibble with some of what you wrote. Tuition is so expensive for so many families that NU runs the risk of losing the economic diversity that makes a student population stronger.

It was one of my favorite questions to ask the student tour guides at various colleges I visited with my daughter. "How economically diverse would you say your school is?"
My suspicion is that by the time a kid is ready for college, the die have already been cast. I believe that NU works hard to diversify its student population, but it can only go so far beyond the very limited range of intelligence + good study habits that are required to be successful at NU. I think our public education system is really letting a lot of kids down to the point where NU (or any Ivy, or Stanford, etc.) is really a pipe dream.

If NU were to change this approach, you would be talking about a significant departure from what I perceive its mission to be. I am not saying it is a bad idea, but I think it is big departure from its longstanding mission.

We really do need schools that find the brightest minds and position them to do great things. In general, our higher education system excels at this, which is why it attracts so many students from other continents. The problem, IMO, lies in primary and secondary education. While not everyone can be in the 98th percentile (by and large our system finds these kids), the bottom quartile or so is really getting left behind.

Reactions: catfans5
At

We are on our third rodeo (child). As a paying customer, we ask two questions: 1) what percentage of student in (insert) major graduate in four years? 2) Are the core courses to graduate for (insert) major offered every semester and also in summer? one school said it measured graduation only in terms of six years. The child was not allowed to apply there. As to the core course question, my first two scholars showed a proclivity to eff up, but we are/were able to keep them on track to be done in four years since they could pick up the core courses the next semester.

Last edited:

You are my gloom and doom, and why I need Prozac, since you don't seem to recognize that the $300 million invested in athletic facilities (with more to come) is not an investment in the athletes, it is an investment in the alumni, and they are who are willing to pay the bill.

Can you tell me that NU would not admit a superbly talented young musician or actor or dancer, or a mathematics or engineering genius (who, like athletes, are often identified young) who did not have a GPA above 3.5 or acceptable test scores? NU would accept them in a heartbeat. Why not superb athletes? That is the discrimination I'm talking about. Athletes are acceptable to NU only (for the most part) If they are first of all "academically qualified", so as not to damage NU's precious 10% acceptance rate and thus rating in US News & World Report. This is BS, since talented athletes are no less valuable to the health, strength and reputation of the university than talented actors, musicians, dancers and mathematics and engineering geniuses. There are all kinds of intelligence (smarts), and NU is remiss in not recognizing all of them to the same degree. This is hurting NU, it's athletes and us, the alumni. The reason the Ivy League put the clamps on football and basketball recruiting was so their college athletics did not become primarily a "professional" pipeline. That was an exemplary move. NU is not in the Ivy League, no matter what they might want to believe. They are in the Big Ten, and I'm sure you have heard of Michigan. So, F****** act like it.

Last edited:
You are my gloom and doom, and why I need Prozac, since you don't seem to recognize that the $300 million invested in athletic facilities (with more to come) is not an investment in the athletes, it is an investment in the alumni, and they are who are willing to pay the bill.

Can you tell me that NU would not admit a superbly talented young musician or actor or dancer, or a mathematics or engineering genius (who, like athletes, are often identified young) who did not have a GPA above 3.5 or acceptable test scores? They would accept them in a heartbeat. Why not superb athletes? That is the discrimination I'm talking about. Athletes are acceptable to NU only (for the most part) If they are first of all "academically qualified", so as not to damage NU's precious 10% acceptance rate and thus rating in US News & World Report. This is BS, since talented athletes are no less valuable to the health, strength and reputation of the university than talented actors, musicians, dancers and mathematics and engineering geniuses. There are all kinds of intelligence (smarts), and NU is remiss in not recognizing all of them to the same degree. This is hurting NU, it's athletes and us, the alumni. The reason the Ivy League put the clamps on football and basketball recruiting was so their college athletics did not become primarily a "professional" pipeline. That was an exemplary move. NU is not in the Ivy League, no matter what they might want to believe. They are in the Big Ten, and I'm sure you have heard of Michigan. So, F****** act like it.
I think there are several incorrect assumptions in your argument.

Reactions: hoosboot

Can you tell me that NU would not admit a superbly talented young musician or actor or dancer, or a mathematics or engineering genius (who, like athletes, are often identified young) who did not have a GPA above 3.5 or acceptable test scores? NU would accept them in a heartbeat. Why not superb athletes? That is the discrimination I'm talking about. Athletes are acceptable to NU only (for the most part) If they are first of all "academically qualified", so as not to damage NU's precious 10% acceptance rate and thus rating in US News & World Report. This is BS, since talented athletes are no less valuable to the health, strength and reputation of the university than talented actors, musicians, dancers and mathematics and engineering geniuses. There are all kinds of intelligence (smarts), and NU is remiss in not recognizing all of them to the same degree. This is hurting NU, it's athletes and us, the alumni. The reason the Ivy League put the clamps on football and basketball recruiting was so their college athletics did not become primarily a "professional" pipeline. That was an exemplary move. NU is not in the Ivy League, no matter what they might want to believe. They are in the Big Ten, and I'm sure you have heard of Michigan. So, F****** act like it.
Northwestern already lowers its academic standards for athletes.
I am sure they do the same for special phenoms in music, theatre and other programs where talent is not readily reflected in test scores.

I don't think you have a legitimate beef.

Reactions: hoosboot
Northwestern already lowers its academic standards for athletes.
I am sure they do the same for special phenoms in music, theatre and other programs where talent is not readily reflected in test scores.

I don't think you have a legitimate beef.
I know they do. It is not really a beef as a recommendation for course correction. I'd be satisfied if they apply the same standards to supurb athletes as they do for, as you say, phenoms in other areas. Maybe they already do that, in which case you are correct, I don't have a gripe. I just don't believe they do, but how would one know that?

I know they do. It is not really a beef as a recommendation for course correction. I'd be satisfied if they apply the same standards to supurb athletes as they do for, as you say, phenoms in other areas. Maybe they already do that, in which case you are correct, I don't have a gripe. I just don't believe they do, but how would one know that?
My understanding is that you have the assumption backwards.

It's simple. If a student needs to be academically highly qualified to come to NU to play a sport as a significant part of their educational experience which NU offers as a significant part of that experience, why shouldn't their coaches be required to meet equally stringent intellectual standards? Conversely, if the coaches are not highly qualified both academically and and athletically, why should the students they mentor be highly qualified in both areas. It's a double standard. If sports are valued as a significant contributor to one's well rounded education, that suggests that the student who excels in a sport is as valuable to the university as the student who scores through the roof on tests but can barely lift a pencil, much less play a sport. Is there a difference between the University that accepts many students primarily on the basis of their athletic skills any different than the one that accepts students to the exclusion of their athletic skills? If athletics are important to education and personal development, then they should be treated equally with academics.
W you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Haha
I’m pretty proud of the first 4 pages or so of this thread. I think it really revealed some perspectives in the forum that weren’t as clear due to some loud voices before.

Definitely run its course now though.

W you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
You really think I meant they should hire coaches as academically qualified as their students? I'm contrasting that to what appears to be current athletic admissions policy.

Last edited:
You really think I meant they should hire coaches as academically qualified as thi;e students? I'm contrasting that to what appears to be current athletic admissions policy.
Unfortunately, on this board if you post something vague or hypothetical, there are people who will claim eternally that you said some distorted version of what you were half-kidding about.

Even when you state things with crystal clarity, your words get distorted.

I have to admit, I didn't know what you were talking about.

Unfortunately, on this board if you post something vague or hypothetical, there are people who will claim eternally that you said some distorted version of what you were half-kidding about.

It's ok, that makes two of you!

I consider myself fairly open to new ideas (when I am not derisively shooting them down).

That said, I am not sure the fattest brain dart on the planet would help me understand St. Paul's post. It reads like some sort of manifesto, but there is no "man" and nothing worthy of a "fest."

OIP.bAi7LYZL-tbADnURR1-4OgHaEA

• Haha
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I consider myself fairly open to new ideas (when I am not derisively shooting them down).

That said, I am not sure the fattest brain dart on the planet would help me understand St. Paul's post. It reads like some sort of manifesto, but there is no "man" and nothing worthy of a "fest."

Stpaulcat?? I know that guy... he's a nihilist!

I believe his post had to do with Vietnam

Ok, I think I figured out when St Paul is after. It took some doing—I meditated in a hyperbaric chamber, consulted my 8 ball, talked to The Hand, and reviewed my notes on the Dead Sea scrolls—but I think I get it.

St Paul wants coaches that can explain an Eigenvector as easily as they explain the keys of the read option; unpack a Heinrich Boll novel as easily as they diagram the Cover 2; discuss the geopolitical signifcance of the Crimea as adeptly as they explain inside leverage; extol the formation of the Chic Chic mountains as excitedly as they award the Number 1 jersey.

• Love
Reactions: stpaulcat

Ya gotta miss in order to eventually get a hit. Isn't .333 a decent batting average?

If we're going to talk about firing the coach, we should not exclude what may prevent the next coach from being any better. If we can find the next coach.

Ok, I think I figured out when St Paul is after. It took some doing—I meditated in a hyperbaric chamber, consulted my 8 ball, talked to The Hand, and reviewed my notes on the Dead Sea scrolls—but I think I get it.

St Paul wants coaches that can explain an Eigenvector as easily as they explain the keys of the read option; unpack a Heinrich Boll novel as easily as they diagram the Cover 2; discuss the geopolitical signifcance of the Crimea as adeptly as they explain inside leverage; extol the formation of the Chic Chic mountains as excitedly as they award the Number 1 jersey.
I have spent time in hyperbaric chambers around the world, and regret you never responded when I channeled you to commune. How could I know you were preoccupied with your ouiji board.

I actually think you are on to something. Coaches who justifiably earn their millions by being on a par with the students NU admits. That may be the key to out recruiting Stanford and Duke, without lowering our admission standards.

Last edited:
Stpaulcat?? I know that guy... he's a nihilist!
You nihiled it! NU remains in the shadow of that which produced the dark ages, in not valuing athletes to the same degree as the academics. This, in spite of huge investment in athletic infrastructure. I know the guys who give the money, highly respect their dedication to not making NU into the University of Chicago and hope NU will realize equality in admitting students of singular talent, whether it be athletics or academics.

Bumping this post because I'm going to follow it up with another poll after the last game. Also pointing out that when I posted this, the "COllins should stay if they win a couple more games" group is critical to him having a majority of voters on the Board. They've gone 1-5 since the poll, so even if they beat MN... does that doesn't as "a couple more" in people's minds?

Bumping this post because I'm going to follow it up with another poll after the last game. Also pointing out that when I posted this, the "COllins should stay if they win a couple more games" group is critical to him having a majority of voters on the Board. They've gone 1-5 since the poll, so even if they beat MN... does that doesn't as "a couple more" in people's minds?
Better wait - they could still win the BTT!!

But, seriously folks, I remember you emphasized "should" in this poll and you "should" do that again, because almost no one expects NU to write a $9M going away check for CCC. He's gonna be here.

Better wait - they could still win the BTT!!

But, seriously folks, I remember you emphasized "should" in this poll and you "should" do that again, because almost no one expects NU to write a $9M going away check for CCC. He's gonna be here.
I'm entirely interested in what people think SHOULD happen, not what they would. I'm also interested if people are sticking to their original guns or not (ie, if you said he should be kept regardless, but after watching a poor finish you decided actually no, screw it, fire him ) from their original vote.

There’s obviously been progress. It’s good they’re winning. Two of the three wins have large asterisks (blown huge lead, playing against half a roster).

I’m don’t think there’s been enough progress. NU’s ‘luck’ shows he has enough bad tendencies as a coach and that NU wins below its talent.

BUT…
I think he’s mislabeled Nance and Kopp as his alphas, and the program has been held back as a result.

He’s got a true alpha, and he wears #0, and he’ll be a senior next year. Tell Boo it’s his team. Let Boo play 35 minutes a night. Convince Greer to come back.

Concurrently, reprioritize POUND THE ROCK and hard-nosed defense because, you know what, Roper and Audige both defend well and board well.

And even if Nance returns, this is Boo’s team. There is no obvious successor to Boo in the program.

NCAA or actual bust in 2022-23. Give CCC another chance, a final chance.
It’s not wise to count chickens on January 26, but I like this post from last year.

I wonder if we need a reprise of this poll. I'm not even sure what I'd vote for in 2023, but I'm excited about the ride we're on!

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT