ADVERTISEMENT

Dayton Fans

At the game. Gotta give them some props for their enthusiasm and for showing up - place is going to be empty for the Illini game because it was about 80% Dayton fans in here. But yeah, if you ask their fans there were apparently zero legit foul calls against them through the entire game.

By the way, as long as that dude is their coach, I'm rooting against them. What an insufferable bunch...

Lol she thinks that Dayton lost that game due to the officiating. Thinking the 4 field goals in the first half MIGHT have had something to do with it....

Reactions: DaCat
At the game. Gotta give them some props for their enthusiasm and for showing up - place is going to be empty for the Illini game because it was about 80% Dayton fans in here. But yeah, if you ask their fans there were apparently zero legit foul calls against them through the entire game.

Great fans bitch about everything. They show up and are invested. I know the UD fan base well. Among the best in the Country. And nothing wrong with God Bless the USA. Unless you live here but belong elsewhere. BTW .... the officiating was putrid ... as bad as the Cats' play in the second half.

GOUNUII

Great fans bitch about everything. They show up and are invested. I know the UD fan base well. Among the best in the Country. And nothing wrong with God Bless the USA. Unless you live here but belong elsewhere. BTW .... the officiating was putrid ... as bad as the Cats' play in the second half.

GOUNUII
Except it was putrid both ways, and much more putrid towards NU down the stretch. No call on that mugging of Law followed by the three? No call on that last inbound to BMac?

GOUNUII

There's a difference between being passionate and being whiny. In life, it drives me crazy when someone whines or acts like a baby and then gets the pass because "they care so much". In other words, that person is a whiner. Got it.

Reactions: NUCats and rmndcat
Except it was putrid both ways, and much more putrid towards NU down the stretch. No call on that mugging of Law followed by the three? No call on that last inbound to BMac?

All true 2011. Even the UD fan next to me spit his beer on the Law mugging, and the late blocking foul against Skelly that sent Smith to the foul line, and the B-Mac mugging on the baseline that nearly gave the ball to UD at the end. Just putrid officiating.

GOUNUII

Reactions: ruechalgrin
Her husband is a two-time loser.
I'm not sure what you mean by two time loser, but other than that this game was really a tale of two halves. We were the aggressors in the first half and on our heels most of the second half. In a situation like tonight the aggressor usually gets the calls.
I'm confused by her complaints. My god in the last 10 minutes there were at least 4 or 5 no calls. The no call on MacIntosh's pass to Law, which resulted in a Dayton three was atrocious. Davis went right over Mac's back with 1.4 seconds left and then almost got the call while reaching for the ball and being out of bounds. Where were our refs on that play.
I also think the problem with playing down there is the ridiculous start at 6:00. Why wasn't this game played in the afternoon. I think they would of had seven or eight thousand more people down there. Dayton obviously had a lot of people there because they sold a lot of Chicago weekend packages before Christmas. Did the promoters ever hear of Edens or Eisenhower traffic at 4 on a Saturday afternoon before Christmas.

There's a difference between being passionate and being whiny. In life, it drives me crazy when someone whines or acts like a baby and then gets the pass because "they care so much". In other words, that person is a whiner. Got it.

Sorry Jonny. In life it drives me crazy too. Loud mouth whiners are the worst. Nothing good comes from it. But sports is an escape from life for fans. No real harm in bitching and moaning unless it spills over to your real life.,

GOUNUII

I am an extremely passionate sports fan. Zero chance you would see me say, or even worse Tweet anything like that basketball wife tweeted. Embarrassing for her and the program.

Reactions: NUCats
Sorry Jonny. In life it drives me crazy too. Loud mouth whiners are the worst. Nothing good comes from it. But sports is an escape from life for fans. No real harm in bitching and moaning unless it spills over to your real life.,

GOUNUII

To each their own I suppose my friend. Not my cup of tea though.

Thank you for posting, as your post supports the notion that Dayton fans kinda suck.

Also, "unless you live here but belong elsewhere." Merry Christmas!

No Mike. The original comments disparaging God and/or our great country belong on the rant board. Once 51 poisoned this well, I will not be silent.

GOUNUII

Then let the mods address his comment; the mods already deleted several Rant Board worthy comments today. Don't make it worse by posting one of your own, imo.

As a Xavier fan (and their "big brother" in the A-10), we had to deal with insufferable Dayton fans for years until we moved to the Big East. What you've exprienced is merely the tip of the ice berg of a fanbase that is indiscribably delusional, shockingly petty, smug, and pretentious with nothing to be smug and pretentios about......they are dregs that base their ENTIRE self worth and identity on the exploits and achievements of 13 young men that can bouce a ball pretty well. Dayton is a dead town economically, as UD is ALL they have, hence the populace exhibits "cultish" behavior towards "their" team, and would follow them to the gates of hell. And never go to a game there, as getting your car keyed is considered a successful journey.

Congrats on the win and the season so far. I have a few relatives that are Nortwestern grads, and my best friends entire family all have varying undergrad and grad degrees from there. And Chi town is awesome. It's about time your basketball team starts the long climb to match the schools stellar academic reputation. Would the student body go batsh#t crazy if you guys made The Dance? I really hope you do. Really hope you make it. Below is a link to a site that provides loads of analytics about anything and everything regarding you and your opponents.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Northwestern.html

Having your team in the tournament is an absolute blast. I usually take off Thursday and Friday (first round games), round up my boys, and find a great sports bar where you can watch every game going on...all day, starting around 1:00, and going until you forget your name. But having YOUR team in the tournament jacks the excitement factor exponentially, as your University/team is part of one of the greatest sporting events in the world. Good luck, and thank you for beating those....nevermind.

Last edited:
I also think the problem with playing down there is the ridiculous start at 6:00. Why wasn't this game played in the afternoon.

TV.

I think they would of had seven or eight thousand more people down there.

Oh come on. Might have been a little better but 8 thousand more? That's the entire capacity of Welsh-Ryan Arena.

Did the promoters ever hear of Edens or Eisenhower traffic at 4 on a Saturday afternoon before Christmas.

So play it in the afternoon so you have to drive home in that traffic instead?

As bad as they sound, it would be great if the NU fan base showed up like the Dayton fan base. I wonder if the dedication and unbearableness are inseparable?

Reactions: SUPER LARK
UD fan here...clearly Norhtwestern was the better team. Northwestern was better and worked harder in every aspect of this game and almost 100% of what I've seen written on the subject by Dayton fans on Dayton boards reflects my sentiment. Officials rarely impact the outcome of a game and that was the case last night. Northwestern schooled UD on both sides of the ball and hopefully UD uses this performance or lack thereof to regroup and move forward.

I think the offending tweet was removed. Whine factor is still high though.

No Mike. The original comments disparaging God and/or our great country belong on the rant board. Once 51 poisoned this well, I will not be silent.

GOUNUII
I think one can dislike that particular song and still be a patriot or believer in God. I find it saccharine. It's not the national anthem. I much prefer the older God Bless America.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT