ADVERTISEMENT

Dayton Fans

What's the Duke part in reference to? I can assure you that the vast majority of Dayton fans wouldn't compare our success as of late to Duke's. However, I can also assure you that there are plenty of drunk fans for all teams that say dumb things from time to time.

Let's begin with the attitude of entitlement. Was BBallWife4Life drunk when she tweeted? That could explain it.

Archie Miller hasn't gone to the Final Four as Dayton's coach. I realize at some point in your history your program may have gone. We won a national title in the 1930s but don't brag about it to other teams' fans. The guy was being an obnoxious drunk in a game where his team lost wire to wire. If I had felt like engaging with him, I would have asked him how it felt to get beaten by a team so beneath his lofty level.

By the way, none of this stuff is directed at you. It's good when friendly posters from other schools stop by, win or lose. We're all selfishly rooting for Dayton the rest of the way to help make us look better. We're pumped because we know beating Dayton is meaningful.

Also, please: NU. Northwestern University. We get picky about that around here, so I'll hopefully save you the trouble of others giving you a hard time.

Oops, wrong button. Screwed up the thread!

Reactions: bhflyer5
Got it-- I just really didn't understand the context.

Likewise-- I know that all of us over on the Red & Blue Forum welcome other fans from schools that don't begin with the letter X. Stop by anytime to discuss.

Also, please: NU. Northwestern University. We get picky about that around here, so I'll hopefully save you the trouble of others giving you a hard time.

Oops, wrong button. Screwed up the thread!

I sincerely apologize. I think I looked that up once and saw it was NU and somewhere got lost and put NWU. Us fans at UD can definitely appreciate the frustration that can cause as we're sometimes referred to as DU.

@DaCat-- More than likely Mrs. Miller was having her Miller High Life at the game.

@Wildcat2011-- I can't compare singular games to averages when it comes to fouls. Reason being there are some games where 10 could be called and others where 30 are. There are so many variables that can influence those numbers. As for verbiage of even vs good vs consistent: The number of fouls called may have been even. The ratio of fouls called to the number of those that were committed may not have been. But as they say, "that's what makes horse racing."

Love how responsive you all are!

Random question for you and the other Dayton fans: How does Dayton fare when they go head to head for recruits with Xavier?

Also, do you think Xavier got a boost with recruits by moving to the new Big East?

Random question for you and the other Dayton fans: How does Dayton fare when they go head to head for recruits with Xavier?

Also, do you think Xavier got a boost with recruits by moving to the new Big East?

Funny you ask. That's actually a hot topic right now on our board. Dayton and Xavier were fairly even in recruiting over the years until they moved to the Big East. We would compete often for the same recruits with their winning 3/5 probably due to their recent success (prior to the BE). Now, they undoubtedly recruit higher prospects and are able to land a higher caliber prospect due to the league they're in. Everything else is very very similar.

Dayton went to the Final Four in 1966 by winning the last regional (only 32 teams back then) played at MCGAW HALL. Don Donoher was the coach. McGaw hosted several regionals (and a first round the year Loyola won the title) and of course the Final Four itself once back in the 50s and 60s. NU led the BIg Ten in February of that season before fading. Had they won it, they would have played on their home floor.

I'll have to look a bit closer
Dayton went to the Final Four in 1966 by winning the last regional (only 32 teams back then) played at MCGAW HALL. Don Donoher was the coach. McGaw hosted several regionals (and a first round the year Loyola won the title) and of course the Final Four itself once back in the 50s and 60s. NU led the BIg Ten in February of that season before fading. Had they won it, they would have played on their home floor.

Very good memory! '66 season but 1967. That's the year they faced Alcindor and UCLA in the finals. That was UCLAs first of the streak.

I'll have to look a bit closer

Very good memory! '66 season but 1967. That's the year they faced Alcindor and UCLA in the finals. That was UCLAs first of the streak.
But that's only because Alcindor got all of the calls. ;)

I have never heard a whiner fan base.

Then you've never been inside Indiana's assembly hall.

But, yes, Flyer fans are very St Louis Cardinal-like in their quest to let everyone know that they are the best and most knowledgeable in all the land, as a poster or two trumpeted earlier in this thread. I must have missed the exam at Welsh-Ryan that lead to these fan knowledge rankings.

However annoying they may be, you can't help but envy Dayton's support. A private school surrounded by OSU, Cincy, Xavier, and Indiana (you could throw Kentucky in that mix as well) could get easily pushed aside in its own hometown...but their attendance is always remarkably high and UD Arena is an excellent best place to watch a basketball game. Fans get a little surly (and from my experience VERY surly when hosting Xavier), but that's what you expect in a basketball town.

Now THAT I take offense to. Please don't ever compare Dayton fans with Cardinal fans (albeit they are very knowledgeable fans). The difference is Dayton fans say that in defense, whereas STL fans make it a point to let you know. Dayton fans, as a general rule of thumb, are typically known to be pretty humble. Don't let pride be confused with cockiness PLEASE. :)

OK, was trying to think of a reason why a coach's wife,who KNOWS she is part of the face of her program,would tweet an attack on our team appropo of nothing. My theory, which is given further credence by the "No where" portion of her tweet, is that she may have had a tad too many Millers....
morgan-miller.jpg
There is an inverse relationship between IQ and the number of bracelets and rings one wears.

Reactions: mikewebb68
OK, was trying to think of a reason why a coach's wife,who KNOWS she is part of the face of her program,would tweet an attack on our team appropo of nothing. My theory, which is given further credence by the "No where" portion of her tweet, is that she may have had a tad too many Millers....

Wait, is that Snooki?

Now THAT I take offense to. Please don't ever compare Dayton fans with Cardinal fans (albeit they are very knowledgeable fans). The difference is Dayton fans say that in defense, whereas STL fans make it a point to let you know. Dayton fans, as a general rule of thumb, are typically known to be pretty humble. Don't let pride be confused with cockiness PLEASE. :)

Which is the bigger group of yokels?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT