ADVERTISEMENT

Does the 247 Crystal Ball Mean Anything re: Mark Smith

Time for a does of reality:
- There is no excess land surrounding WRA. Where exactly would you relocate baseball and/or softball?
- The arena will not be smaller, as the footprint will be essentially the same (except for what seem to be four minor expansions to accomodate stairwells, etc.).
- The overall plan is to create a "pit" atmosphere.

I am pretty sure that relocating a softball field is a solvable problem. Without going too far I know that multipurpose fields adapted for baseball/softball use do exist.
Furthermore, parking space could be used, and the lost parking spots be replaced with underground parking. Or they may be able to "redraw" the softball field (move it some feet), so that it remains but not exactly where it is. Obviously no one is suggesting that a new arena occupies the entire softball field plus the land of the current one.

Furthermore, it has been pointed out NUMEROUS times, based on the cost of the new DP arena, that a brand new small arena (about 6,500 seats) could be built with the same money NU is spending renovating a 64-y.o. building. Do simple math.

The renovation cannot be justified, in any case. Either build a brand new small arena (with similar capacity as the renovated one) with the money available, or spend a bit more for an arena that seats not less than the current one, preferably a bit more. In any case, do NOT spend $110MM renovating a 64-y.o. building.

I am pretty sure that relocating a softball field is a solvable problem. Without going too far I know that multipurpose fields adapted for baseball/softball use do exist.
Furthermore, parking space could be used, and the lost parking spots be replaced with underground parking. Or they may be able to "redraw" the softball field (move it some feet), so that it remains but not exactly where it is. Obviously no one is suggesting that a new arena occupies the entire softball field plus the land of the current one.

Furthermore, it has been pointed out NUMEROUS times, based on the cost of the new DP arena, that a brand new small arena (about 6,500 seats) could be built with the same money NU is spending renovating a 64-y.o. building. Do simple math.

The renovation cannot be justified, in any case. Either build a brand new small arena (with similar capacity as the renovated one) with the money available, or spend a bit more for an arena that seats no less than the current one, preferably a bit more. In any case, do NOT spend $110MM renovating a 64-y.o. building.

Hey Dr. Jim, Feli says the renovation cannot be justified! Better cancel the construction, the almighty Feli has spoken!

Sincerely,

No one ever in the history of the universe

The renovation cannot be justified, in any case. Either build a brand new small arena (with similar capacity as the renovated one) with the money available, or spend a bit more for an arena that seats not less than the current one, preferably a bit more. In any case, do NOT spend $110MM renovating a 64-y.o. building.
I guess we've hired the most unqualified architects in the world!

It's pretty hilarious to me that you cite yourself as your own source.

You're pretty much Exhibit A in why my friends and I often joke that NU fans can't have nice things because they'll just find something to complain about anyway.

Time for a does of reality:
- There is no excess land surrounding WRA. Where exactly would you relocate baseball and/or softball?
- The arena will not be smaller, as the footprint will be essentially the same (except for what seem to be four minor expansions to accomodate stairwells, etc.).
- The number of seats will decrease because bench seats are being converted to seatbacks and I suspect that legroom will be increased.
- The overall plan is to create a "pit" atmosphere. Others have commented on successful similar atmospheres at Duke, Gonzaga, Villanova, Butler.

To those of you (perhaps only two of you) who are second guessing the plans, I'm sure the NU administration would welcome your new site, an alternative design and the funding to build it!
The old McGaw Hall seated out about 10,000 and attracted teams like Kansas and Kentucky back in the day. The footprint could possibly be enlarged by building over the walkway between W-R and FB practice facility. or how about moving the softball diamond and the offices and extending the footprint to the East. I would think that a softball field could be accommodated somewhere on campus or in Evanston, since they already have found new space for Lacrosse and soccer. Wonder what is going to occupy the old outside FB practice field. Just another way to look at things and if that bothers you, don't open any posts that you don't agree with.

Totally. But, rather than worrying about "redrawing" or slightly "moving" things, why doesn't NU just change the laws of physics? Dr. Jim needs to stop being so lazy and start working on altering the space-time continuum. That way the new arena could exist in the same "space" as the softball field even while a softball game was being played and Mexico would pay for it.

Totally. But, rather than worrying about "redrawing" or slightly "moving" things, why doesn't NU just change the laws of physics? Dr. Jim needs to stop being so lazy and start working on altering the space-time continuum. That way the new arena could exist in the same "space" as the softball field even while a softball game was being played and Mexico would pay for it.
Seriously. Are we the brainy school or not?

Reactions: hoosboot

I'd be worried about this. What if there was a dual sport player, say women's softball and women's basketball. While the chance that her softball "person" would cross intp the same time/space as her basketball "person" is remote, it could happen. Let's say that creates a huge fissure in world, a fissure whose epicenter is mid court at Welsh Ryan and most of mankind in the Western hemisphere gets sucked into that hole for all eternity.

I think that would make it tougher for CCC to recruit. Maybe if they lowered the academic requirements I'd say ok, but otherwise I'm a no. Unless, maybe, you could use the fissure to bring back a young Esch, in which case I'm a maybe.

Reactions: hoosboot
I'd be worried about this. What if there was a dual sport player, say women's softball and women's basketball. While the chance that her softball "person" would cross intp the same time/space as her basketball "person" is remote, it could happen. Let's say that creates a huge fissure in world, a fissure whose epicenter is mid court at Welsh Ryan and most of mankind in the Western hemisphere gets sucked into that hole for all eternity.

I think that would make it tougher for CCC to recruit. Maybe if they lowered the academic requirements I'd say ok, but otherwise I'm a no. Unless, maybe, you could use the fissure to bring back a young Esch, in which case I'm a maybe.

As long as Mexico pays for all of it, I'm okay with it.

I like the last part of this quote from Mark Smith in this recent article... doesn't sound much like Illinois to me. :)

“A coach that trusts in me and I trust in and will help get me to the next level and develop my game,” Smith said was important. “A place where I can develop into the best all-around basketball player I can become to get to the next level. That’s what I’m working to do. That’s my dream; to go to the NBA.

“I want to win. I want to play for a winning program, and I want to go to the tournament. That’s really what’s important for me.”

(Unfortunately, this sounds a lot like Kentucky...)

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...all/2017-03-29/recruitment-heating-smith.html

(Unfortunately, this sounds a lot like Kentucky...)
Not at all, if he's smart. Just this Kentucky freshman class plus the 2017 recruiting class have FOUR guards (two of each) that are consensus 5-star. There is another one that is 'only' a consensus 4-star. That is definitely NOT the situation he wants if he expects to develop playing a lot, to be noticed. He may or may not understand that. I hope he does.

Not at all, if he's smart. Just this Kentucky freshman class plus the 2017 recruiting class have FOUR guards (two of each) that are consensus 5-star. There is another one that is 'only' a consensus 4-star. That is definitely NOT the situation he wants if he expects to develop playing a lot, to be noticed. He may or may not understand that. I hope he does.
Well it's not like he's going to fall into a starting job at NU. If immediate playing time is his priority, Illinois is probably his best option. But if he's like most 18-year-old high school stars, the bright lights of Kentucky might be too much to resist.

Kentucky already has 3 guards committed for next year.
But they'll be losing both starters to the NBA. I don't know that UK will even offer Smith, but they are a hard program to say no to if they do. And Tom Izzo has offered Smith and he is a hard coach to say no to.

Don't sleep on Chris Collins. He doesn't accept no for an answer either. :)

Well it's not like he's going to fall into a starting job at NU. If immediate playing time is his priority, Illinois is probably his best option.
He will find competition at any major program especially if as he stated it's an NCAAT one. Still he'd find a lot more competition at a Kentucky-type program than at NU (even considering NBA defections). Just remember what happened when Lindsey went down.

It's fun trying to guess what factors are most important to Smith (playing time, NBA, etc.). But what I've consistently seen from interviews with him is a statement that he wants to "build a relationship" with the coaches. He already has a relationship with Walker, the Illinois assistant who is being retained, and he talks about that in the story the Champaign paper did on him. Nowhere have I seen him mention a "relationship" with Collins or the NU assistants. Doesn't mean he doesn't have one, but it's certainly not on the top of his mind right now. For what all that's worth....

Well it's not like he's going to fall into a starting job at NU. If immediate playing time is his priority, Illinois is probably his best option. But if he's like most 18-year-old high school stars, the bright lights of Kentucky might be too much to resist.

He would start from day 1 on a Butler team that would almost assuredly be better than U of I. But agree with everyone here, he does seem to be more interested in a bigger school. Think the Cats would have a great shot if he were 2018. Hard playing off campus and more significantly behind one of the country's best players if you don't have to.

It's fun trying to guess what factors are most important to Smith (playing time, NBA, etc.). But what I've consistently seen from interviews with him is a statement that he wants to "build a relationship" with the coaches. He already has a relationship with Walker, the Illinois assistant who is being retained, and he talks about that in the story the Champaign paper did on him. Nowhere have I seen him mention a "relationship" with Collins or the NU assistants. Doesn't mean he doesn't have one, but it's certainly not on the top of his mind right now. For what all that's worth....

Read this article again, and also keep in mind that most all of the news on Smith is coming from UoI basketball reporters. There's a clear bias for Illinois. Nothing from anyone trying to push an NU angle. Honestly, are there any NU basketball recruiting reporters? I support this site and have always liked it, but this has always been about football recruiting. Has anyone with NU interests tried contacting Smith for an interview?

Still, Illinois has always looked like the favorite. We don't even know if CCC is still pursuing Smith. Frankly, we know absolutely nothing about what CCC and staff are doing right now in regards to recruiting. No news on grad transfers, nothing on recruits for 2017, nothing about upcoming visits planned, nothing, nothing, nothing. Frustrating! Is basketball traditionally this much more obscure on recruiting news than football, or is it just that nobody is plugged in?

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...3-15/smith-i-was-disappointed-see-him-go.html

Reactions: NUThump
While I don't make a habit of linking to other networks on this board, I wanted to send along a link to this article on 247 in which Smith makes a rare comment directly related to NU (providing the link only because it isn't behind a pay wall):

Regarding Northwestern, Smith said, “I like Coach Collins a lot. He has gone in there and changed the program. He’s also said I have a chance to go in there and make an impact as a freshman.”

While I don't make a habit of linking to other networks on this board, I wanted to send along a link to this article on 247 in which Smith makes a rare comment directly related to NU (providing the link only because it isn't behind a pay wall):

Regarding Northwestern, Smith said, “I like Coach Collins a lot. He has gone in there and changed the program. He’s also said I have a chance to go in there and make an impact as a freshman.”
With all the new offers, just means that CCC will have shown his recruiting chops when we land him.

I like the last part of this quote from Mark Smith in this recent article... doesn't sound much like Illinois to me. :)

“A coach that trusts in me and I trust in and will help get me to the next level and develop my game,” Smith said was important. “A place where I can develop into the best all-around basketball player I can become to get to the next level. That’s what I’m working to do. That’s my dream; to go to the NBA.

“I want to win. I want to play for a winning program, and I want to go to the tournament. That’s really what’s important for me.”

Haha, oh come on. :) You guys deserve the recent bragging rights and for next year, too. However, it's not crazy to think Illinois could be pretty damn good by the time Smith is a sophomore, junior and senior at U of I with the players he'll have around him.

I'd love to read about Smith's experience overall. He took officials to Northern Illinois and SIU-E, decided to wait it out his senior year, and now has Izzo in his house and Calipari on the phone. Good for him.

I'd love to read about Smith's experience overall. He took officials to Northern Illinois and SIU-E, decided to wait it out his senior year, and now has Izzo in his house and Calipari on the phone. Good for him.
Did Underwood give him a trip on his private jet? And he still didn't commit. Must be that Oklahoma charm or not knowing if Edwardsville was in Indiana or Illinois.

Kind of depressing reading the list of Illinois "Mr. Basketball" winners and realizing that exactly none of them to this point have ever played for NU.

The 2nd place one this year is an ETHS grad. He turned down an NU offer to attend Purdue. That's kind of depressing also, considering how well NU did this season, and its good prognosis for next year. Sad.

Crawford finished 3rd in 2009 and Joe Henricksen (who knows his stuff when it comes to evaluating Illinois HS BB talent) voted for Drew and thought he should have won it.

EDIT: SMU is actually a perfect example of what others are saying. They reduced capacity at Moody Coliseum from 8,998 to 7,000 for the 2014 season... which just so happened to coincide with Larry Brown taking the team to its first NCAA appearance since 1993.

Pretty sad that to this day - programs that cheat or hire cheaters continue to prosper (UConn, UK, 'Cuse, UNC, SMU, etc.).

Even with the stink left behind from hiring Brown, SMU has become and (thus far) has stayed relevant in BB.

Just too bad that Semi Ojeleye ended up transferring to SMU and couldn't see the vision that CC had laid out for NU (actually, SO passed on the 'Cats twice, so maybe for the best - tho his 19 pts and 6.9 rbds/gm would have come in handy).

Sorry but just remember at back when Carmody was embarrassed to bring recruits into an antiquated W-R. Well recruits do like a large arena filled with fans and they will compare a 6.800 seat gym with much larger facilities at ND, DePaul, Illinois and the rest of the Big Ten. "Build It and They Will Come".

Pretty hilarious you bringing this up.

Actually, BC was more embarrassed about showing recruits the everyday facilities like the locker-rooms so he would make up excuses to not show them to recruits.

Crawford finished 3rd in 2009 and Joe Henricksen (who knows his stuff when it comes to evaluating Illinois HS BB talent) voted for Drew and thought he should have won it.

Pretty sad that to this day - programs that cheat or hire cheaters continue to prosper (UConn, UK, 'Cuse, UNC, SMU, etc.).

Even with the stink left behind from hiring Brown, SMU has become and (thus far) has stayed relevant in BB.

Just too bad that Semi Ojeleye ended up transferring to SMU and couldn't see the vision that CC had laid out for NU (actually, SO passed on the 'Cats twice, so maybe for the best - tho his 19 pts and 6.9 rbds/gm would have come in handy).

Pretty hilarious you bringing this up.

Actually, BC was more embarrassed about showing recruits the everyday facilities like the locker-rooms so he would make up excuses to not show them to recruits.
UConn had some issues where kids were not completing their degree at a high enough clip, but I don't recall anyone accusing them of anything illegal. Why are they on your list of cheaters?

TheC, I don't know specifically what Katatonic was referring to, but I know the AJ Price issues (allowed back on the team after being arrested for selling stolen laptops) left plenty of fans with a bad feeling towards UConn. Combine that with some embarrassing grad rates, and sadly UConn has lost its position on the "good guys" side of the ledger. That's a tough pill to swallow for me as a Connecticut native with many family members who still pay taxes to support that otherwise fine state university.

Two things in here are being misrepresented for no reason:

The story about Carmody and facilities is from me. When NU opened up the new locker rooms, I went to the open house. During that time, we were allowed to see the old locker rooms and all I can say is wow, I was shocked at how bad they were. After I left the locker room, I saw Carmody, who was just talking to fans and I walked up to him and said hello and then I told him that I could not believe what the old locker rooms were and he told me yeah it was pretty bad. I asked how he handled them with recruits and he jokingly told me that he just told recruits they were being painted, and that they'd been painted a lot.

The next is Feli's refusal to get it regarding Nojel Eastern. As has been explained on this board, NU told Nojel that if he did certain things academically, they maybe could extend an offer but Nojel apparently chose not to pursue that path. This is not a case of NU missing on a kid but rather a case of a kid not being an academic fit for NU.

Now my .02 on Mr. Smith. Smith is curious prospect. Great build, can handle the ball and scores but does not look overly athletically or explosive. Still, I would love to see him in purple because he fits the concept of lead guard that Collins purports. That said, his level of offers and recruiting has 100% more to do with the lack of available quality prospects in the spring than his skill level. I hope he is a great player bc he seems like a great kid but I think that in November, NU and Illinois would still be his best offers even with his level of play this year. And, if I was him, I would jump all over either the Kentucky or MSU offers and gamble that if it does not work out I can just transfer.

Last edited:
NU told Nojel that if he did certain things academically, they maybe could extend an offer but Nojel apparently chose not to pursue that path. This is not a case of NU missing on a kid but rather a case of a kid not being an academic fit for NU.

According to what I read, you have the facts right. I would just caution that the term "academic fit" may not be accurate and may (unintended) suggest that he isn't as good a student or as bright as he actually is.

He knew what classes he had to take to be accepted into NU. He already made a decision to go elsewhere. By not taking certain classes he confirmed his preference to play away from home. Keeping the NU option open was of no interest.

TheC, I don't know specifically what Katatonic was referring to, but I know the AJ Price issues (allowed back on the team after being arrested for selling stolen laptops) left plenty of fans with a bad feeling towards UConn. Combine that with some embarrassing grad rates, and sadly UConn has lost its position on the "good guys" side of the ledger. That's a tough pill to swallow for me as a Connecticut native with many family members who still pay taxes to support that otherwise fine state university.
Fair enough.... I just think that UConn, while not squeaky clean, doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as UNC and SMU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT