ADVERTISEMENT

Does the 247 Crystal Ball Mean Anything re: Mark Smith

Sorry but the type of recruits NU is going after want to play in a big time arena and one that seats 6,800 isn't one. These kids have just played 4 years of high school; and walking into an empty W-R on a visit will remind them of high school all over again.

That's ok if we lose those recruits. I'll be satisfied with the recruits that Villanova and Gonzaga can land. Actually I guess the players we should expect to land should be a tad better than what those schools can get since we'll have arenas with capacity more than 13% larger than Gonzaga and 5% larger than Villanova.

no. Maybe walking into the current WR but not the new one.

LockerRoom.jpg

Sorry if the truth hurts. Facts are facts and other Div. I coaches are going to note the small, high school like gym in Evanston, while recruiting against Collins.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a post containing the words "sorry if the truth hurts" that is anything other than trolling--especially when the "truth" is an opinion. To the ignore list you go.

no. Maybe walking into the current WR but not the new one.

LockerRoom.jpg
Now I'm worried recruits might get a little spooked by the fact that there is no door on the locker room entrance. What if they are the modest type?

Yeah, and it will probably work as well as it does against Gonzaga (capacity 6,000 and best home court advantage in all of college basketball - 93% win rate) and Villanova (capacity 6,500).

Having an arena that is more than 5.5X the capacity of Cameron must be why Syracuse recruits 5.5X better and is 5.5X more successful than Duke. BTW, I grew up a Syracuse fan. Sitting in the dome on the third level sucks. Bring your binoculars. Just to see the jumbotron.
All of the examples you've listed have absolutely nothing to do with making W-R a 8,000 too 10,000 seat arena, rather then a 6,000 seat gym.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a post containing the words "sorry if the truth hurts" that is anything other than trolling--especially when the "truth" is an opinion. To the ignore list you go.

I especially don't know what to make of such a post, when the "truth" isn't just an opinion, but just blatantly false.

All of the examples you've listed have absolutely nothing to do with making W-R a 8,000 too 10,000 seat arena, rather then a 6,000 seat gym.

What they suggest is that your obsession with the capacity of the arena is unfounded. It will not hurt recruiting at all, it will not hurt our ability to be a championship program.

No, it will not hurt us in any way that you describe. What will it be? It will be AWESOME. It will be a massive home court advantage like the Pit is and like Cameron is. It will be a recruiting ADVANTAGE for us, given the atmosphere which will be even better than the one that Jim Nantz described as one of the top 5 he's ever experienced in ANY SPORT. It's perfect.

CCC approved these plans, and I'm sure it was discussed and I trust that it's 6,800 seats (and not 6,000 like Gonzaga's) because he wanted it this way.

So the gym/arena cutoff is somewhere around 8,000 then? Better tell Miami(FL), SMU, VCU, Villanova, Gonzaga, and others that they need to get their act together or they're never going to be any good.

EDIT: SMU is actually a perfect example of what others are saying. They reduced capacity at Moody Coliseum from 8,998 to 7,000 for the 2014 season... which just so happened to coincide with Larry Brown taking the team to its first NCAA appearance since 1993.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inovacat
Sorry but just remember at back when Carmody was embarrassed to bring recruits into an antiquated W-R. Well recruits do like a large arena filled with fans and they will compare a 6.800 seat gym with much larger facilities at ND, DePaul, Illinois and the rest of the Big Ten. "Build It and They Will Come".

You're going to use Carmody as the authority on what is necessary to be a good recruiter? Really? Also, you appear to be confusing a state-of-the-art designed 6,800 arena to being antiquated. So what's the problem? Arena size? Or antiquation? On the former, you're just wrong. On the latter, that is about to be completely fixed.

All those schools you named have bigger facilities than Gonzaga and Villanova (and so do we). How well do they recruit vs. Gonzaga and Villanova?

Give it up. You aren't just wrong with this, you couldn't be more wrong. Your argument on the impact that arena capacity has on our recruiting and our ability to be successful has been utterly and totally decimated and to continue to cling to the nothingness aside from the tiny shards of shattered glass that remains of it despite the indisputable evidence to the contrary (exhibit A: Gonzaga, exhibit B: Villanova) is like MysticCat speaking about the woeful rookie inadequacies of CCC following our NCAA round of 32 performance. It's really that insane.

Holy fudge, man, let it go. Construction is underway. This will be such an improvement over the old W-R, I'm sure it will be a benefit to the fans who attend and the program overall.

Holy fudge, man, let it go. Construction is underway. This will be such an improvement over the old W-R, I'm sure it will be a benefit to the fans who attend and the program overall.
Fine, guess I'll just have to accept the opinions of all you experts but the "new" W-R will still sit in the limited footprint from the past and it will be by far the smallest arena in the Big Ten. Hopefully we won't hear recruits say that they didn't commit because they wanted to play in front of large crowds, like we hear from kids in the FB program who commit to Wisky or Io-a. Guess time will tell but hope I don't need to say, I told you so. Over and out.

Fine, guess I'll just have to accept the opinions of all you experts but the "new" W-R will still sit in the limited footprint from the past and it will be by far the smallest arena in the Big Ten. Hopefully we won't hear recruits say that they didn't commit because they wanted to play in front of large crowds, like we hear from kids in the FB program who commit to Wisky or Io-a. Guess time will tell but hope I don't need to say, I told you so. Over and out.
Don't you think they talked to some real experts (Chris Collins etc.) before this was all set? Do you think if he said, wtf there is no way I will be able to recruit kids to NU with a brand new state of the art facility if it only seats 6800 that they would have found a way to accommodate whatever he felt was needed?

brand new state of the art facility if it only seats 6800
Which BRAND NEW facility are we talking about? DePaul's?
DePaul is the one building a brand new 10,000-seat state of-the-art facility, for which they only contributed $70 MM (of which they recovered $20+MM in naming rights).
NU is spending $110MM to renovate a 64-y.o. building, which will end up losing 1,300+ seats in the process, to ultimately seat only 6,800.
A brand new 7,000-seat arena would cost about $120MM (based on what DePaul's costs). That is ony $10MM more than NU's renovation of the 64-y.o. arena to have 6,800 capacity.
Which one is the smart school?

Sorry but the type of recruits NU is going after want to play in a big time arena and one that seats 6,800 isn't one. These kids have just played 4 years of high school; and walking into an empty W-R on a visit will remind them of high school all over again.

Sorry, but you've never been "the type of recruits NU is going after".

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I'm feeling less and less confident about this kid. Alabama? Really? Just two different universes.

While true, Avery Johnson is probably playing up his NBA experience.

Smith's process has been a bit odd down the stretch.

I thought I read that Smith was at Welsh-Ryan for the Rutgers game. Or did I just dream that?

I thought I read that Smith was at Welsh-Ryan for the Rutgers game. Or did I just dream that?

If that was the game immediately before the Indiana road game, then yes. He was at two successive NU games....home and away.

Joe Henricksen in the Sun Times is reporting Smith is being recruited by Illinois, Northwestern, Missouri, DePaul, Kansas State, Texas, Ohio State, Indiana, Butler "and others."

JH writes, "The plan for Smith ... is to take a whole bunch of unofficial visits. He says he expects to then narrow it down and take the remaining two official visits he has remaining."

Smith wants to be done in time for the April signing period.

My guess is the leader will be wherever Tilton ends up - Illinois or Missouri. In a shortened timeframe, I like NU's chances against two new coaches, a program with no coach and KSU. I wonder if Butler and OSU jumped in this spring or have been in contact for a long period. If they just jumped in, I like those odds also.

Joe Henricksen in the Sun Times is reporting Smith is being recruited by Illinois, Northwestern, Missouri, DePaul, Kansas State, Texas, Ohio State, Indiana, Butler "and others."

JH writes, "The plan for Smith ... is to take a whole bunch of unofficial visits. He says he expects to then narrow it down and take the remaining two official visits he has remaining."

Smith wants to be done in time for the April signing period.

My guess is the leader will be wherever Tilton ends up - Illinois or Missouri. In a shortened timeframe, I like NU's chances against two new coaches, a program with no coach and KSU. I wonder if Butler and OSU jumped in this spring or have been in contact for a long period. If they just jumped in, I like those odds also.
I think the Buckeyes were a late entry -- I remember reading that Motta was at the Danville game and offered shortly after.

We are roughly the same size school as Villanova and we will have roughly the same size arena after both get their facelifts.

Of course, the cynic would say that's appropriate given that both schools lost to Wisconsin in March and qualified for the Round of 32.

But really ..... size of the arena doesn't seems highly appropriate. Villanova just won a national title. The key will be getting 6800 of OUR fans in there, rather than 5000 of ours and 3000 of the opposition.
I thought after the rebuild arena was going to seat 7600. Where is the 6800 coming from?

I thought after the rebuild arena was going to seat 7600. Where is the 6800 coming from?

From the Parking section of Page 3 in the Preliminary Design review. The standard for parking spaces is 10% of the design capacity, currently there are 987 spaces so the design is deemed "Compliant". Then there is the following:

"Comment: 6,800 seats = 680 parking spots, 9,870 maximum capacity"

We're all drawing conclusions from that one Comment section in the Design Review.

https://www.cityofevanston.org/home/showdocument?id=4100

The first thing you want out of your stadium is to give you a competitive advantage and second good game day experience for fans. Size is less important. Also with reduced capacity, it is more likely to be full all the time and a pro NU fan base as visitors will have a harder time getting in. Should be a pretty good place for NU fans. But I guess you have size envy in stadiums also.

What they suggest is that your obsession with the capacity of the arena is unfounded. It will not hurt recruiting at all, it will not hurt our ability to be a championship program.

No, it will not hurt us in any way that you describe. What will it be? It will be AWESOME. It will be a massive home court advantage like the Pit is and like Cameron is. It will be a recruiting ADVANTAGE for us, given the atmosphere which will be even better than the one that Jim Nantz described as one of the top 5 he's ever experienced in ANY SPORT. It's perfect.

CCC approved these plans, and I'm sure it was discussed and I trust that it's 6,800 seats (and not 6,000 like Gonzaga's) because he wanted it this way.
Having a full stadium with a strong NU presence should help recruiting, not hurt.

Also with reduced capacity, it is more likely to be full all the time and a pro NU fan base as visitors will have a harder time getting in.
Firs, I haven't the foggiest idea why this discussion is being carried under thread titled "Does the 247 Crystal Ball Mean Anything re: Mark Smith", considering that there are several threads specifically devoted to arena/facility issues.

Anyway, who the H says that having a full stadium or arena is the primary objective? Every team could build an arena or stadium with a tiny capacity which would always be full...maybe just enough capacity to seat student fans and the most loyal of fans and boosters. Very few, if any, do so...certainly not on purpose. The reason is that the TOTAL ATTENDANCE if far more important than whether there are some empty seats or not. Playing in front of a ten-thousand-strong crowd is under most situations better than playing in front of one-thousand people, even if the 10,000 people are inside a 15,000-seat stadium. If you want enough capacity to handle the most attractive games there will be empty seats during less attractive games...so damn what.

Kind of depressing reading the list of Illinois "Mr. Basketball" winners and realizing that exactly none of them to this point have ever played for NU.
The 2nd place one this year is an ETHS grad. He turned down an NU offer to attend Purdue. That's kind of depressing also, considering how well NU did this season, and its good prognosis for next year. Sad.

Reactions: Inovacat
Kind of depressing reading the list of Illinois "Mr. Basketball" winners and realizing that exactly none of them to this point have ever played for NU.

It's been a historic year of firsts and trend breakers... how about another?

The 2nd place one this year is an ETHS grad. He turned down an NU offer to attend Purdue. That's kind of depressing also, considering how well NU did this season, and its good prognosis for next year. Sad.
This is not true. Eastern was not an academic fit.

This is not true. Eastern was not an academic fit.
Firs, I haven't the foggiest idea why this discussion is being carried under thread titled "Does the 247 Crystal Ball Mean Anything re: Mark Smith", considering that there are several threads specifically devoted to arena/facility issues.

Anyway, who the H says that having a full stadium or arena is the primary objective? Every team could build an arena or stadium with a tiny capacity which would always be full...maybe just enough capacity to seat student fans and the most loyal of fans and boosters. Very few, if any, do so...certainly not on purpose. The reason is that the TOTAL ATTENDANCE if far more important than whether there are some empty seats or not. Playing in front of a ten-thousand-strong crowd is under most situations better than playing in front of one-thousand people, even if the 10,000 people are inside a 15,000-seat stadium. If you want enough capacity to handle the most attractive games there will be empty seats during less attractive games...so damn what.
Probably because they feel the need to dredge up reasons NU choose to downsize an already small arena. If Collins and NU get the program up to where we all hope they will be, and non-conference games will be scheduled against the likes of Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas and West Virginia, does any one think they would consent to playing in a 6,000 seat facility? Didn't think so, thus those type of games will need to moved to the UC or Rosemont, creating travel costs and rental expenses. BTYW, NU used to play against that type of competition back in the 50's and 60's in 10,000 seat McGaw Hall.

Probably because they feel the need to dredge up reasons NU choose to downsize an already small arena. If Collins and NU get the program up to where we all hope they will be, and non-conference games will be scheduled against the likes of Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas and West Virginia, does any one think they would consent to playing in a 6,000 seat facility? Didn't think so, thus those type of games will need to moved to the UC or Rosemont, creating travel costs and rental expenses. BTYW, NU used to play against that type of competition back in the 50's and 60's in 10,000 seat McGaw Hall.
STFU already.

Do you eat with that mouth, big boy?
Why are you so constantly sad and pathetic? We're coming off the BEST season of NU basketball ever. Unparalleled. We're getting the state-of-the-art treatment for WR. Yet this is you, this is what you say. I mean, I understand Felis, but you at least seemed like a fan.

Do you eat with that mouth, big boy?
Also, this makes no sense and is not the expression.

But rather than hurling insults at you all day, which I'd love to do, I propose a simple bet.

If the official announced capacity of the renovated WR is 7,000 or greater, I get to change your handle, avatar, and signature to anything I want. If the official announced capacity of the renovated WR is 7,000 or fewer, you get to do the same to me. Deal?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT