ADVERTISEMENT

Endowments 101

realcatfan

Dec 2, 2014
I've read way too much stuff from people on here that have no idea how a university runs or how an endowment works say that NU should just start building athletic facilities and that the higher ups are too cheap and don't care about sports to that. If you believe that, then you have no idea how things work.

1. The endowment isn't a giant pile a money to be used for anything. A lot of it is based on donations that are specifically marked for things that are important to individual donors. This could be certain schools, programs, or departments. This could be campus general campus beautification. This could be something as specific as donating $500,000 with the intention of using a 7% return per year of $35,000 for upkeep, improvement and maintenance of the Shakespearean Garden. So you need to take the endowment and cut it down by earmarked donations.

2. The endowment's $9,000,000,000 isn't money the university can spend. I heard a stat that a similar university to Northwestern costs $1.5-2 million dollars to run per day. That combines the salary of all the university employees from top level professors down to janitors, the police, the cafeteria workers... That's 547.5-730 million dollars per year. Divide that into 8500 students and you get $64,411-85,882 needed in tuition. Tuition is $61,640.

So why can't NU spend the endowment on athletics if sales are meeting costs given that it's a not for profit?

That's a pretty easy answer. Most kids are not paying full or anywhere close to full tuition. It's not even close and is probably less than 1/2. That means Northwestern is taking in less than 250,000,000 in tuition. The remainder needs to be made up with a return from the endowment. Let's say that the 1/3 of the endowment is earmarked leaving $6 billion. We can make a modest return of 7%. That gives you a return of $420,000,000. You add that to the the 250,000,000 in tuition, and you're left with $660,000,000 which is right in line with the $1.5-2 million dollar per day cost.

If NU were to completely overhaul it's sports facilities, that's 270,000,000 for a practice facility, 288,500,000 for a football stadium (based on TCF Stadium at Minnesota), and 180,700,000 for a basketball stadium (based on Pinnacle Bank Arena at Nebraska). That totals 750,000,000 out of the endowment. This means, you would expect $52,500,000 less of a return on admission. That's $6,562 of extra tuition money needed per student per year, and since the average student pays about 50% tuition (if that), that's going to raise tuition by $13,125.

So hey, let's completely redo all the facilities... and raise tuition to 75,000 per year!!!!

Yawn.....You can make significant upgrades to your football facilities for far less money. But I suppose if you are looking for another reason to justify your lack of commitment to building a competitive athletic program, you have what you need.

Just move to the Ivy league or the MAC and be done....

Don't look now, but Warren Buffet's sister just donated $100 M for global studies and international student scholarships. Talk about screwed up priorities...she's no T. Boone Pickens!

Real,

Thank you for putting more information into this discussion. let me add the following:

As a freshman in 1984 it was generally known that the stated tuition and room and board number posted and told to parents actually represented only 50% of the actual cost of a student to attend Northwestern. I believe it was $22,000 total, one of my four years and I recall the actual cost being $44,000. The 22K number is before we talk about financial aid etc.

No university I know of touches the endowment for anything other than to invest it. Using simple math, if Northwestern has 1B in endowment and it generates $50M (5%) return in a given year, then the university has a portion of the $50M to spend on operational costs and a portion to spend on long term projects.

Long term projects are generally fund raised for by every university. Professorships to buildings to whatever is a long term investment. If you didnt do this, then there would be no money for operational expenses from the invested endowment.

I cannot say if it is true for every institution, but northwestern does not break ground on any building project until they have the following money:

1. Cost to design and build the structure
2. endowed money to support the building in perpetuity - from maintenance and repairs to simple things like light bulbs and the electricity to keep the lights on.

When the economy tanked in 2008 I was at a dinner with Bienen at Stanford before we played the Cardinal in basketball. Stanford, with one of the largest endowments out there, was laying off thousands of employees and freezing pay. I mentioned this to bienen and he explained that Stanford is more risky with their investment portfolio and that they have more of their financial aid funds tied to these investments. Northwestern, on the other hand, is more conservative and when times got tough, Northwestern was still able to offer robust financial aid packages whereas other schools could not or had troubles.

University endowments are not invested like a 30 year old with 45 year time horizons and investing for growth. These large portfolios are invested uber uber uber conservatively.

Bienen was a little more aggressive than most. Back in the mid 90's he turned over the entire athletic department money, so he says, to a leading Silicon Valley VC for management.

Some of the endowment returns offset operating costs for faculty (e.g endowed chairs), academic center operating costs (typically staff coordinators and maybe some faculty release from teaching), and scholarships (makes up the difference in lost tuition).

Excellent thread except for the initial response, which only goes to prove the OP's point.

Well done, realcat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT