ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for Ohio State vs. Northwestern

I can at least understand the conservatism. With less than half of the fourth quarter remaining, the Cats can, at best, hope to aim for a tie score and overtime. That would make Pat allergic to turnover risk.

Edit: Well….

I can at least understand the conservatism. With less than half of the fourth quarter remaining, the Cats can, at best, hope to aim for a tie score and overtime. That would make Pat allergic to turnover risk.

Edit: Well….
Pretty sure we would go for 2 if we got a TD ... well moot point now.

Reactions: cattul
And back to this ****ing horseshoe
We can't just run-run-pass to victory, unfortunately. Wind has lessened and we have to start throwing.
we could have RPO’d to more points though, which has been working

Fitz should be embarrassed for the offensive play calling in the 4th quarter. He did not put his players in a position to win the game.
Exactly. I hope he gets roasted in the postgame press conference. We had absolutely nothing to lose and they had everything to lose. Make them feel that pressure, FFS!!

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
Weird that so little faith is being shown in Sullivan. He’s made the right plays all day.

Still, I stopped yard work to come in and watch the finish. Did not expect that!
How many yards did you gain? Any penalties for neighborly transgression?

Honestly as much as a lot including myself would’ve hated this game plan I say why not bring back the two quarterback system now Hilinski is nowhere near the passer that Siemian was but it gives you something in the past game outside of what sully is limited in.

Reactions: MC_Cat
Honestly as much as a lot including myself would’ve hated this game plan I say why not bring back the two quarterback system now Hilinski is nowhere near the passer that Siemian was but it gives you something in the past game outside of what sully is limited in.
No. Hilinski doesn't make good decisions and has no confidence at this point. Sully is the better option at this point for both running and passing.

There’s no reason to play Hilinski. Problem is, the OC and HC prefer an 80/20 run/pass ratio.

• Sad
All things considered, the team played well. Very unimaginative offense, given the running talent for the Cats. they are a few impact players away, but coordinators leave a lot to be desired. Seems the defense played well mostly, but still gives up the big play

I’m disappointed that they lost, but they played like Wildcats today.

You all aren’t going to drag me down into anger this week.

It was a decent, entertaining game. Like the announcers said, the Buckeyes were the better team, but the Wildcats made OSU earn the win.

Go Cats!

All things considered, the team played well. Very unimaginative offense, given the running talent for the Cats. they are a few impact players away, but coordinators leave a lot to be desired. Seems the defense played well mostly, but still gives up the big play
With the horrible conditions, let's be honest, both teams played close to the vest in not trying to make a mistake. Man, those winds !

Reactions: corbi296
There’s no reason to play Hilinski. Problem is, the OC and HC prefer an 80/20 run/pass ratio.
No. Hilinski doesn't make good decisions and has no confidence at this point. Sully is the better option at this point for both running and passing.
No I meant for this game to throw Ohio State off you know if you’re gonna throw a wrinkle out there so something that osu would never even expect just a thought but would’ve hoped that maybe Hilinski had his Nebraska magic.

A lot better than the Iowa game, but at the same time, it's not clear how much of that was us playing up to Ohio State or them playing down to us or just the weather creating bad conditions that we played better in...

Need to see what happens against Minnesota/Purdue/Illinois to see if this was a turning point.

If this was a 6-2 Northwestern team that had lost a tough result to Ohio State that'd be one thing..., but we're 1-8 now.

Hard to grab onto a "moral victory" when we're 1-8.

Nobody should be mad today (other than about the offensive play calls, which were very disappointing), the game was quite entertaining. We made them punt a lot, the wind was hilarious, the players had a lot of effort, Pete had a good day, and Tomi had a very good day.

A lot better than the Iowa game, but at the same time, it's not clear how much of that was us playing up to Ohio State or them playing down to us.

Need to see what happens against Minnesota/Purdue/Illinois to see if this was a turning point.

If this was a 6-2 team that had lost a tough result to Ohio State that'd be one thing..., but we're 1-8 now.

Hard to grab a "moral victory" when we're 1-8.
There was so much energy today, and seemingly so little last week. Disappointing.

No I meant for this game to throw Ohio State off you know if you’re gonna throw a wrinkle out there so something that osu would never even expect just a thought but would’ve hoped that maybe Hilinski had his Nebraska magic.
Hilinski is a worse passer than Sullivan, so…

Maybe here’s a radical idea: stop removing your QB from the game as Jake kept doing?

Reactions: NUCat320
There was so much energy today, and seemingly so little last week. Disappointing.
That's the thing, if we played like this against most of the teams we'd lost against... some of those Ls might be Ws.

The defensive effort against Iowa looks a million times worse after today's game.

That's the thing, if we played like this against most of the teams we'd lost against... some of those Ls might be Ws.

The defensive effort against Iowa looks a million times worse after today's game.
I would love for this to be true, but... it seems dOSU came out really flat, the weather was a major factor for both teams but helped NU a bit more especially in the first half, and dOSU had a really vanilla game plan. I don't think it is lack of effort that is hurting this team.

Reactions: cattul

No. The wind took away most offensive options from both teams so you could sell out on stopping the remaining options.

Hilinski is a worse passer than Sullivan, so…

Maybe here’s a radical idea: stop removing your QB from the game as Jake kept doing?
Here’s even better radical idea how about our head coach stops playing To lose and get a little more aggressive yes the conditions were bad we understood that but you Can’t keep doing that wildcat formation every team sees it on tape and I knows it’s coming And especially since we’re playing for nothing at this point why not get Sully to throw more passes maybe not so much in the wind but eventually you’re gonna have to try to make a pass throughthat strong wind and hope that receiver catches it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT