ADVERTISEMENT

I want McCall to remain in his position

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I would write a three times longer post but I have a mobility issue so I will keep it short.

1 He has been our OC for the years we won ten, won bowls, last year B10 championship game. So this is an off year, okay spit happens.

2. Oh look at the poor results some will say, 68th in this category and so on,. The fact is Fitz has made it clear he wants a more or less "safe' offense that kills clock so his beloved defense can stop the enemy. Put another way, Randy Walker loved the O, Pat loves the D.

3,Despite that we have had some incredible players at NU who grew while with the program. I mean just now we have an incredible running back group.

4, Receivers? Austin Carr set NCAA records.

In fact, here is the nfl breakdown

PLAYER TEAM POSITION
Ibraheim Campbell Green Bay Packers Safety
Austin Carr New Orleans Saints Wide Receiver
Tommy Doles Chicago Bears Offensive Tackle
Godwin Igwebuike New York Jets Safety
Justin Jackson Los Angeles Chargers Running Back
Joe Jones Denver Broncos Linebacker
Tyler Lancaster Green Bay Packers Defensive Tackle
Dean Lowry Green Bay Packers Defensive End
Sherrick McManis Chicago Bears Cornerback
Ifeadi Odenigbo Minnesota Vikings Defensive End
Trevor Siemian New York Jets Quarterback
Jordan Thompson San Francisco 49ers Defensive Tackle
Danny Vitale Green Bay Packers Fullback
Anthony Walker Indianapolis Colts Linebacker

Coach McCall deserves better than a firing based upon hotheads on this site,

He was OC during our past few years, and during two 10 win seasons, Big Ten championship games, 4 bowl wins.

I think we would have won 10 this year if TJGreen was calling the signals.

Last edited:
I would write a three times longer post but I have a mobility issue so I will keep it short.

1 He has been our OC for the years we won ten, won bowls, last year B10 championship game. So this is an off year, okay spit happens.

2. Oh look at the poor results some will say, 68th in this category and so on,. The fact is Fitz has made it clear he wants a more or less "safe' offense that kills clock so his beloved defense can stop the enemy. Put another way, Randy Walker loved the O, Pat loves the D.

3,Despite that we have had some incredible players at NU who grew while with the program. I mean just now we have an incredible running back group.

PLAYER TEAM POSITION

He was OC during our past few years, and during two 10 win seasons, Big Ten championship games, 4 bowl wins.

Just no.

Alternate reality: Could an above-average offense last year scored a single touchdown in the second half against Michigan and avoided the catastrophic errors against Akron? (Forget about losing to Duke.) Could we have gone to a New Year’s Six game with a 10-3 record?

PLAYER TEAM POSITION

If McCall gets canned it will be because the HC thinks we can do better not some “hotheads” on this site.

Also, I would bet my house that NU would not have won 10 games with TJ at the helm. This comment has no basis in reality. NU was subpar in many many areas and TJ would have had to been Desean Watson for NU to win 10.

PLAYER TEAM POSITION

There are literally no stats in your analysis to back him up. We really are living in a fact-free world now. Good God.

bUT wE hAd oNe wAlK oN rEcEiVeR hAvE oNe BiG sEaSoN

And no, not just “68th” in a category. Dead last in the nation in offense as a whole.

PLAYER TEAM POSITION

O M G

What the hell did I just read???

I didn’t read to the end the first time. The TJ Green statement is remarkable.

PLAYER TEAM POSITION

Don’t you have to get first downs and hold onto the ball to kill clock!

Reactions: HappyNUyear

I think it would not be unreasonable to surmise that we could've won about 2 B1G games plus the Stanford game if TJ had been healthy. But that would be in spite of McCall's offense, which is a big handicap for our team.

Reactions: mikero3

PLAYER TEAM POSITION

This is everything wrong with NU fan thinking in one post.

1) of course, we won with him as OC. Maybe we could have won more with someone else at OC! NU fans always think we can't do better.

2) Does Pat Fitzgerald or any coach in the world not want to score more? IMHO The best play in football is 1 play 80 yard TD! I don't expect Fitz will ever not sit on the few leads we get because he is ultra conservative, but we are talking about an epically bad offense that on social media is getting blasted by players who played for Mick. You have to wonder on top of being a poor OC...if the players dislike him or his philosophy. And many believe we could have been better on offense.

3) An incredible running back group? what? We have had some RB's under Mick who were good backs and JJ was borderline great, but he was great coming in. Im not sold on ANY of our current RB's. Bowser is the best of the lot and because of his style he will always be hurt.

4 Receivers..Carr a walk-on who Fitz joked we didn't recruit and a cast of guys who can't get open. Partly due to this craptastic offensive philosophy and scheme coach Mick has installed at NU.

And of all the NU players that we have in the pros...We only have 2 starters and only a few others make an impact. Let's not kid ourselves.

I have noticed that most of the guys who want Mick back are not the NU fans who freeze their asses off, or go in the rain, battle traffic, or are sitting in a see of RED at Ryan field...It's the guys like Corbi, who sit on their couches and tell the rest of us to trust and support Fitz and the program. We obviously have a different perspective on the need for change.

I have had 4 tickets since 1995 and will seriously think of getting rid of the tickets if the most arrogant and stubborn head coach doesn't change the OC. The players deserve better, but because of Fitz, I may just # i Don't care! go through the hassle and expense to watch a boring ass offense and team every week. If mick is back...i am not!

BTW Has anyone heard who is a front runner at DC if Hank does indeed retire? I heard coach Hank is going to retire after the season. If true, would they just take someone from the current staff?

This is everything wrong with NU fan thinking in one post.

1) of course, we won with him as OC. Maybe we could have won more with someone else at OC! NU fans always think we can't do better.

2) Does Pat Fitzgerald or any coach in the world not want to score more? IMHO The best play in football is 1 play 80 yard TD! I don't expect Fitz will ever not sit on the few leads we get because he is ultra conservative, but we are talking about an epically bad offense that on social media is getting blasted by players who played for Mick. You have to wonder on top of being a poor OC...if the players dislike him or his philosophy. And many believe we could have been better on offense.

3) An incredible running back group? what? We have had some RB's under Mick who were good backs and JJ was borderline great, but he was great coming in. Im not sold on ANY of our current RB's. Bowser is the best of the lot and because of his style he will always be hurt.

4 Receivers..Carr a walk-on who Fitz joked we didn't recruit and a cast of guys who can't get open. Partly due to this craptastic offensive philosophy and scheme coach Mick has installed at NU.

And of all the NU players that we have in the pros...We only have 2 starters and only a few others make an impact. Let's not kid ourselves.

I have noticed that most of the guys who want Mick back are not the NU fans who freeze their asses off, or go in the rain, battle traffic, or are sitting in a see of RED at Ryan field...It's the guys like Corbi, who sit on their couches and tell the rest of us to trust and support Fitz and the program. We obviously have a different perspective on the need for change.

I have had 4 tickets since 1995 and will seriously think of getting rid of the tickets if the most arrogant and stubborn head coach doesn't change the OC. The players deserve better, but because of Fitz, I may just # i Don't care! go through the hassle and expense to watch a boring ass offense and team every week. If mick is back...i am not!

BTW Has anyone heard who is a front runner at DC if Hank does indeed retire? I heard coach Hank is going to retire after the season. If true, would they just take someone from the current staff?
Could you imagine if Fitz had real criticism like a place like Tennessee (the # thing pissed me off), I don't think he could handle it. Three season tickets since 1997, I too will reconsider my investment in time and money if we have the same crew back next season.

Alternate reality: Could an above-average offense last year scored a single touchdown in the second half against Michigan and avoided the catastrophic errors against Akron? (Forget about losing to Duke.) Could we have gone to a New Year’s Six game with a 10-3 record?
This. We have seen the ceiling of the program as it is with our current model, and this is it. We can get 9-10 wins but 1) We will get killed every time by the OSU types, 2) We will have games like Mich last year where we should have won but couldn’t sustain enough offense and 3) if multiple starter injuries occur then it is nearly impossible to win ANY game because we are literally unable to score enough points.

Bottomline, there need to be changes within the coaching staff.

There’s donors, alums, students, sth’s and others that agree changes need to be made. It’s just not a rivals board thing.

Reactions: IGNORE2
What did I learn from this? “Pat loves the D”

happy thanksgiving everyone!

PLAYER TEAM POSITION

We will find out Monday. Fitz is a money guy so I think McCall is gone.
You wont get 500 people to renew their seats if McCall is allowed to come back.

Could you imagine if Fitz had real criticism like a place like Tennessee (the # thing pissed me off), I don't think he could handle it. Three season tickets since 1997, I too will reconsider my investment in time and money if we have the same crew back next season.

My #1 reason why Fitz will never go anywhere. He won’t quit or even threaten to quit. Cuz he would last one game anywhere else before the boosters would be raging.

PLAYER TEAM POSITION

I see the Thanksgiving punch was extra strong yesterday. I hope your hangover wasn’t too bad this morning. Thanks for the chuckles.

I’m personally fine if we keep McCall on as a position coach under a new OC, although I imagine he’d rather retire or move on to a new opportunity a la Cushing.

Changes need to be made even if we beat Illannoy by 50. We’ll see what Fitz does.

Reactions: nugnrfan82
I see the Thanksgiving punch was extra strong yesterday. I hope your hangover wasn’t too bad this morning. Thanks for the chuckles.

I’m personally fine if we keep McCall on as a position coach under a new OC, although I imagine he’d rather retire or move on to a new opportunity a la Cushing.

Changes need to be made even if we beat Illannoy by 50. We’ll see what Fitz does.
I think keeping him would be awkward and counterproductive. I have seen this happen in organizations and it never ends well. If he is as good as some folks believe, he should not have problem finding a new job. Heck, Colby is still employed.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatManTrue

PLAYER TEAM POSITION

Euro, take a look at what the Navy HC just did after a 3 win season. Hint, long time assistant coaches and friends, gone.

Reactions: nugnrfan82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT