ADVERTISEMENT

Ignore This Thread

Both Brunk and Moore could easily end up at those other schools because they have a chance to get to March Madness and we don't. Players like the notoriety and the fun of playing in postseason games.

Moore went to the NCAA Tournament with Kansas this year. Didn’t seem like he was having much fun.

NU could be spunky with the right transfers. They won’t compete for a Big Ten title, but the bubble is often a crapshoot.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
That sounds good to me. Between the injuries and all the crazy things which have happened to the program the last 2 years a little good karma is due for the NU program

Both Brunk and Moore could easily end up at those other schools because they have a chance to get to March Madness and we don't. Players like the notoriety and the fun of playing in postseason games.

A good point.

However, if both were of them were to join NU, the odds of a tourney birth during their (likely) two year stint in Evanston would certainly rise.

That would be great, but when was the last time we got the "right" transfer, let alone several?

Probably Jared Swopshire, although I’m not writing off Turner yet.

A.J. looked improved late in the season and there was speculation an injury of some sort may have been complicating things throughout the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightNorthwestern
^ No doubt Swop - who had his options, but picked the 'Cats due to the combo of playing time and the potential of that team.

Reactions: StratCat84
I think Turner showed what he could do when no longer injured. Think he will be a key contributor next year.

Me too.

If CC were to land both Moore and Brunk, next year's roster would start to look intriguing. There's no guaranteeing chemistry/style/fit would immediately click, but even without factoring in Freeman or a potential reclassification, this...

Starters: Moore/Turner/Kopp/Beran-Nance/Brunk
Bench: Buie/Greer/Gaines/Beran-Nance/Young/Jones

...is a team that could be surprisingly sneaky (and deep, for NU standards) in conference. Probably not NCAA caliber, but certainly would give the 2019-20 campaign more of an element of hope.

A lot of dominoes would need to fall into place for it to happen though.

Last edited:
Just about everyone wanted Taylor. If cc was a bad judge of talent there, so were a jazillion other coaches...

There were many options last year. We got what we got and it played as it did. Year over, but still history recorded.

There are many options out there again. Our recruiting savant needs to identify a couple good ones and bring them in. All eyes are wide open on this program at the moment. In light of recent performances and staffing issues, CCC needs some wins.

There were many options last year. We got what we got and it played as it did. Year over, but still history recorded.

There are many options out there again. Our recruiting savant needs to identify a couple good ones and bring them in. All eyes are wide open on this program at the moment. In light of recent performances and staffing issues, CCC needs some wins.
Theee were many options last year, and Taylor wss rated one of the very best of them...

Reactions: hdhntr1
Me too.

If CC were to land both Moore and Brunk, next year's roster would start to look intriguing. There's no guaranteeing chemistry/style/fit would immediately click, but even without factoring in Freeman or a potential reclassification, this...

Starters: Moore/Turner/Kopp/Beran-Nance/Brunk
Bench: Buie/Greer/Gaines/Beran-Nance/Young/Jones

...is a team that could be surprisingly sneaky (and deep, for NU standards) in conference. Probably not NCAA caliber, but certainly would give the 2019-20 campaign more of an element of hope.

A lot of dominoes would need to fall into place for it to happen though.

Just playing devil’s advocate here, but I’m a Butler season ticket holder and live near campus. I’ve seen Brunk play a lot, and I’m not sure he’ll make much of an impact in the Big Ten. He committed to Butler under Chris Holtmann and spent a year under him, but now that he’s transferring it doesn’t appear that Holtmann has shown him much interest. I’m not the expert but I do think that’s interesting.

That said, Collins needs a ton of help to have a shot at surviving next season, and Brunk will contribute more than most of the kids that Collins recruited recently as preps. So I guess it’s not a bad use of an empty scholly if he can make it happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
If he is not getting the PT at Butler what makes anyone think he would at Kentucky

KY has two 5* bigs....Brunk wouldn't play 10 minutes a game

Bad information on my part- my mistake. I got Brunk mixed up in my head with Nate Sestina from Bucknell, who looks to be headed to Kentucky per most people.

Regarding Brunk, Indiana seems to be the front runner with Ole Miss showing a lot of interest as well.

Sorry about that.

Just playing devil’s advocate here, but I’m a Butler season ticket holder and live near campus. I’ve seen Brunk play a lot, and I’m not sure he’ll make much of an impact in the Big Ten. He committed to Butler under Chris Holtmann and spent a year under him, but now that he’s transferring it doesn’t appear that Holtmann has shown him much interest. I’m not the expert but I do think that’s interesting.

That said, Collins needs a ton of help to have a shot at surviving next season, and Brunk will contribute more than most of the kids that Collins recruited recently as preps. So I guess it’s not a bad use of an empty scholly if he can make it happen.

Definitely wouldn’t expect Brunk to come in and duplicate Pardon’s production, but having an experienced, high motor big that could eat up minutes would, at the very least, be very helpful for next year’s squad.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Definitely wouldn’t expect Brunk to come in and duplicate Pardon’s production, but having an experienced, high motor big that could eat up minutes would, at the very least, be very helpful for next year’s squad.

Totally agree. With transfers, expectations are key.

Let me play devil's advocate on this one. Does it give anyone pause that this will be Moore's 3rd school? Looking back at the Johnnie Vassar fiasco I can't help but note that he went to four different high schools. So maybe it shouldn't have been surprising that he didn't stay at NU.

Northwestern hoops is a mess right now and we need stability. Hindsight is 20/20 but we've had such poor luck with transfers that maybe we just let our guys play, get experience and grow.

Again hindsight etc, but at this point don't we all wish that Kopp and Greer had gotten all of Taylor's minutes and experience?

Reactions: JournCat
Let me play devil's advocate on this one. Does it give anyone pause that this will be Moore's 3rd school? Looking back at the Johnnie Vassar fiasco I can't help but note that he went to four different high schools. So maybe it shouldn't have been surprising that he didn't stay at NU.

Northwestern hoops is a mess right now and we need stability. Hindsight is 20/20 but we've had such poor luck with transfers that maybe we just let our guys play, get experience and grow.

Again hindsight etc, but at this point don't we all wish that Kopp and Greer had gotten all of Taylor's minutes and experience?
Personally not a big fan of the transfer route, but NU has to field a squad next season. Anyone that thinks the transfers we are talking about would suddenly make NU a tourney team imo is drinking too much purple kool aid or smoking the pipe.

These players would be contributors and make NU better, but they shouldn’t be viewed as game changers. As usual CCC will get criticism if he can’t bring them aboard and he will get criticized if he does because people will have unreasonable expectations for them.

Vassar's problem wasn't that he went to 4 high schools.

It was that he wasn't a B1G caliber baller and that Collins likely "encouraged" him to quit BB.

And who would have predicted he'd graduate from NU in 4 years given his 4 high schools?

I don't know Vassar, but I think it's fair to say that four high schools in four years is highly unusual and probably did not help his development as a player.

My point is that 3 schools in 3 years is a lot. And given our track record with transfers, maybe we invest in and develop the guys we have. We are probably not going to the tourney with Moore. We've gone once in our history and I don't think he's the guy that puts us over the top. I think our best path is as a developmental program.

Who knows, maybe CC is starting to worry about his job security and will keep trying to plug holes

It was that he wasn't a B1G caliber baller and that Collins likely "encouraged" him to quit BB.

And who would have predicted he'd graduate from NU in 4 years given his 4 high schools?
If you don't think being enrolled in four high schools over four years is a problem , so be it. I do. Also Vassar announced that he was transferring , not Collins.

Have we even been remotely linked to Brunk? What am I missing?

Yes we have. Jeff Goodman’s piece on Stadium has NU, along with IU, Ole Miss, UCF and Florida, as possible destinations for Brunk. NU of course offered him out of high school.

If he can get assurances of playing time at Indiana, I imagine they are front runners. But NU has exactly ZERO bigs who have played a minute of college basketball. He’d be a virtual lock to start. And seems academically inclined, so that aspect isn’t a turn off.

NU was Taylor's third school

Reactions: NUCat320
When he transferred from Cal to Kansas he applied for a waiver then using the same rationale and was denied. That was two years ago, and I know the NCAA has relaxed on this a bit, but worth pointing that out.

Also, Mizzou is the dead on favorite. He loves Cuanzo Martin and thrived under him in their only season together at Cal. And Mizzou has the same gaping hole at PG that NW, but a much much better roster to put around him. I’d bet on Mizzou getting him.
But did Kansas get him close to home or meet one of the other criteria? If he had to sit out one year already, does that impact the NCAA decision?

I’m just not going to get excited about any of this potential. It’s too frustrating when things don’t work out as hoped.

That said, I think this is a big test. Lots of palatable transfer options and lots of need. CCC needs to show off his recruiting acumen and not just land another Taylor, but a couple of good fits demonstrating that he is a good recruiter AND good judge of talent.
Taylor looked like a good get that just did not work out as well as many anticipated. He still scored 10 ppg.

It is sad we didn't get Mooney of TTU instead of Taylor. The transfer route for them worked out pretty good. Also...if CMoore liked his coach at Cal so much, why did he transfer to KU instead of Mizzou? Was Mizzou out of schollies? I would be ecstatic to see CMoore play for NU. I caught a game of his while at Cal. He is really fast and a great player. He would be even better than BMac for us if what I saw was real. Maybe a few inches shorter than Pat Baldwin, but similar style and even quicker.

Sorry but three guys getting HC gigs is hard to call staffing issues. Means you brought in good guys.

Reactions: mikewebb68

Did not keep Greer from playing.

It sure helped and indicated potential issues.

Taylor looked like a good get that just did not work out as well as many anticipated. He still scored 10 ppg.
I am almost certain that Taylor would have looked a lot better on a better team. He was a shooter, yet he rarely got good, clean looks because teams could defend the 3-point line against us so easily. His man probably never had to leave him to help out with a driving ballhandler or to double an imposing big man.

Reactions: NUCat320

Also a Butler season ticket holder but live near Northwestern’s campus and I will say that Brunk is one of the best kids you’ll ever meet, truly the best of the best.

He’s also one of the worst defenders you’ll ever meet. I think he’ll actually end up being quite a strong offensive player in 2 years and he’s a decent rebounder. I suspect he’ll improve on defense as he gains knowledge, awareness and strength, but Butler was something like 30 points per 100 possessions worse with him in on defense than they were with him on the bench.

I think he has a place on a BIG roster, but if he’s a starter without significant improvement, it’s an indictment.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT