ADVERTISEMENT

Jones to the transfer portal

This is disappointing, though not devastating.

He was somewhere between a 4 and a 5, not quite fitting the bill of either position. Ideally, Nance and Beran will get stronger and have the 4 position locked down, while Young and Nicholson will be legit big guys at the 5.

Still, the upside was clearly there and would have been a great guy coming off the bench next year for an energy boost. Wish Jared Jones all the best.

Well, NU definitely has room for Jeffress, PBJ and Christie now...

Reactions: Gladeskat

Just saw this. Jones showed some flashes as a freshman and played quite a bit. But he was probably destined to come off the bench at the 4 or 5. Regardless, I wish Jared nothing but the best. He’s a good kid and a good player.

On the plus side, his transfer would open up a scholarship slot for what could be a huge 2021 class for NU.

Reactions: DaCat
Not good at all. Definitely worried about the Collins regime.

Yeah ... either we lost a promising prospect after one year or we recruited a player who never had much of a shot to start or contribute significantly.

Yeah ... either we lost a promising prospect after one year or we recruited a player who never had much of a shot to start or contribute significantly.

At face value, he probably saw how well Ryan Young was developing, and with incoming 7-1 stud Matt Nicholson, probably concluded that he would not be getting a lot of minutes at the five. I wonder if Ryan Young is that good that he scared off Barrett Benson and Jared Jones in consecutive years? ;)

Reactions: zanycat
I liked Jones. You saw progress from him as the year went on last year, and I really liked his attitude. Played hard and seemed like a great teammate. Never going to forget that image of him jokingly massaging Collins's shoulders in the final seconds of a close game late in the season. I thought that showed a fun side of him that I enjoyed.

Definitely brought some athleticism and size that we aren't used to seeing, but still has a long way to go on his game. We saw some flashes last year, but there were more bad games than good. Needs to find a lot more consistency in his game overall, especially on his midrange game and on the defensive end with staying out of foul trouble (though I thought he did improve on that a bit as the year went on). I hope he finds a good landing spot where he is happy and finds more playing time where he can develop his game further. One of those guys I wish nothing but the best.

Good lord. How 'bout he looks at the depth chart and sees he's No. 3 looking at 10 minutes a game for at least another year. His value will probably never be higher given that the limited tape on him is good.

I hope he goes out and kicks ass and is happy. Ends up a 10 and 6 guy somewhere and gets a solid education.

And I hope that NU fills the open spot with an athletic SG or SF which will really make a difference now.

Good lord. How 'bout he looks at the depth chart and sees he's No. 3 looking at 10 minutes a game for at least another year. His value will probably never be higher given that the limited tape on him is good.

I hope he goes out and kicks ass and is happy. Ends up a 10 and 6 guy somewhere and gets a solid education.

And I hope that NU fills the open spot with an athletic SG or SF which will really make a difference now.

How dare you bring this level-headed and reasonable take to this board.

I saw enough progress from him that I think there was no way he only gets 10 mins per game. He averaged 10 mins per game this year as a true freshman. Both Nance and Beran are unproven at the 4, and Nance is prone to silly fouls. Ryan Young had a very good first year, but he "only" averaged 25 mins per game. Nicholson has never played college hoops. Maybe he wants to be a starter and play 30 mins per game (more power to him), but it's not like he was backing up all conference guys and would never see the floor. Wish him the best, but this is too bad. My money was on Greer being the first to transfer.

I saw enough progress from him that I think there was no way he only gets 10 mins per game. He averaged 10 mins per game this year as a true freshman. Both Nance and Beran are unproven at the 4, and Nance is prone to silly fouls. Ryan Young had a very good first year, but he "only" averaged 25 mins per game. Nicholson has never played college hoops. Maybe he wants to be a starter and play 30 mins per game (more power to him), but it's not like he was backing up all conference guys and would never see the floor. Wish him the best, but this is too bad. My money was on Greer being the first to transfer.

Don't see how you could say with a straight face that you "saw enough progress" from Jones but that Nance and Beran are "unproven."

Beran faltered a bit down the stretch but had some really good moments last year, while Nance was NU's *leading scorer* in its Big Ten Tournament game.

Nicholson might have never played a college game but you can't teach 7 feet.

Reactions: DaCat

I doubt Jones would be satisfied with another 10 min per game next season. Nance and Beran both improved a lot last year, and there's no reason to believe they will stop improving. In fact, both guys should be playing over 20 minutes each, at whatever position they're plugged into. Nance even played center at times last year. Remember Jones is cousins with Buie, so I bet the decision wasn't easy, but he probably saw the writing on the wall.

...or CCC did his job and recruited another player in MN that projects to limit JJ minutes.

Add an offer by NU to a 4-star recruit, a 6-10 center from Chandler, AZ, a Phoenix suburb. Name Eduardo Andre. Rivals says he is a 2020 recruit with outstanding defensive ability and offensive potential. A native of Angola, but grew up in England and started school in Dallas, TX.

Add an offer by NU to a 4-star recruit, a 6-10 center from Chandler, AZ, a Phoenix suburb. Name Eduardo Andre. Rivals says he is a 2020 recruit with outstanding defensive ability and offensive potential. A native of Angola, but grew up in England and started school in Dallas, TX.
He has more than 30 offers.

I’m surprised this only came up this deeply in the thread. Jones and Boo are cousins united by dumb luck and they looked like they quite liked playing together. I recall a few late games in the season where the two assisted one another. I hope this doesn’t mean more than it means now. Jones is a big loss, I don’t think Beran will develop into the rebounder Jones might have been, nonetheless, please let this be the last thread regarding our players going to the transfer portal this year

I doubt Jones would be satisfied with another 10 min per game next season. Nance and Beran both improved a lot last year, and there's no reason to believe they will stop improving. In fact, both guys should be playing over 20 minutes each, at whatever position they're plugged into. Nance even played center at times last year. Remember Jones is cousins with Buie, so I bet the decision wasn't easy, but he probably saw the writing on the wall.

I’m surprised this only came up this deeply in the thread. Jones and Boo are cousins united by dumb luck and they looked like they quite liked playing together. I recall a few late games in the season where the two assisted one another. I hope this doesn’t mean more than it means now. Jones is a big loss, I don’t think Beran will develop into the rebounder Jones might have been, nonetheless, please let this be the last thread regarding our players going to the transfer portal this year
I thought they weren’t even aware they were distant cousins until NU recruited both?

I thought they weren’t even aware they were distant cousins until NU recruited both?

that’s what I meant, I wasn’t clear enough with my words. In any case that kind of story line is something you would expect would provide some glue in that both stick around. I’m disappointed by this news.

Don't see how you could say with a straight face that you "saw enough progress" from Jones but that Nance and Beran are "unproven."

Beran faltered a bit down the stretch but had some really good moments last year, while Nance was NU's *leading scorer* in its Big Ten Tournament game.

Nicholson might have never played a college game but you can't teach 7 feet.

I can say that Nance and Beran are unproven with a straight face because Nance has never averaged double digits in points in either of his two seasons and Beran has had exactly two games where he scored in double digits. My point was that Jones was not stuck behind all-conference studs.

He definitely would have had a role. I think he will be a good player somewhere. Maybe the reason he is in the portal is not playing time.

True, could be anything. He may have hated the weather or didn't click with the student body or is just home sick.

Seriously, Collins has said his program is a developmental one, where players may not be physically ready to compete in the B1G from day 1 but he expects them to grow into competitive players by their 3rd year. That's the excuse he gave for the woeful record last season. It is hard to be a developmental program when you lose almost half of each recruiting class to transfers, and don't replace them with experienced players.

Maybe he'll hit the jackpot in 2021. If there is a 2020-21 season, he'll again have a short roster, just 10 scholarship players. Ryan Young gets hurt and NU is in deep doo-doo up front.

I wish Jones nothing but the best as he moves on. Just wish it could have worked for him at NU.

Jones’ per-40 minutes were better than Beran’s, in part due to the fact that Beran got more time. And Beran got more time due to positional fit — Young has one position, and Nance really isn’t a ‘4’, and he wasn’t going to lose minutes to anyone,.

I’d say that Jones and Beran are equally unproven, and I think Jones will be a great player in a smaller conference and will be a good player if he transferred to, say, hometown Ga Tech. NU will miss him.

Seriously, Collins has said his program is a developmental one, where players may not be physically ready to compete in the B1G from day 1 but he expects them to grow into competitive players by their 3rd year. That's the excuse he gave for the woeful record last season. It is hard to be a developmental program when you lose almost half of each recruiting class to transfers, and don't replace them with experienced players.

Maybe he'll hit the jackpot in 2021. If there is a 2020-21 season, he'll again have a short roster, just 10 scholarship players. Ryan Young gets hurt and NU is in deep doo-doo up front.

I wish Jones nothing but the best as he moves on. Just wish it could have worked for him at NU.

Collins is trying to recruit over his current squad, which coaches would be derelict in their job if they didn't. The unfortunate side effect is that kids have the option to transfer out if it is evident that they won't be getting much playing time.

Even with Berry and Nicholson signed for the 2020 class, we apparently aren't done with this class as we are in the running for Jeffress and now have the hat in the ring for Eduardo Andre.

And we all know, we have 2021 offers out to two 5-stars and a handful of 4-stars who are all still in play for us.

Jones’ per-40 minutes were better than Beran’s, in part due to the fact that Beran got more time. And Beran got more time due to positional fit — Young has one position, and Nance really isn’t a ‘4’, and he wasn’t going to lose minutes to anyone,.

I’d say that Jones and Beran are equally unproven, and I think Jones will be a great player in a smaller conference and will be a good player if he transferred to, say, hometown Ga Tech. NU will miss him.

Beran was a starter by the end of the season as a true freshman, so even if his numbers don't blow you away, he is definitely a core player who will get a lot of minutes. Nance also showed huge improvement by the end of the year, and his versatility allowed him to log minutes at the 3, 4, and 5. With Kopp, Buie, Gaines, Berry, Nance, Beran, Young, Audige, Nicholson... Jones is looking at being the 10th man probably.

Collins is trying to recruit over his current squad, which coaches would be derelict in their job if they didn't. The unfortunate side effect is that kids have the option to transfer out if it is evident that they won't be getting much playing time.

Even with Berry and Nicholson signed for the 2020 class, we apparently aren't done with this class as we are in the running for Jeffress and now have the hat in the ring for Eduardo Andre.

And we all know, we have 2021 offers out to two 5-stars and a handful of 4-stars who are all still in play for us.

Best case scenario for us as fans is that Jones thinks the program is about to take off and CC is going to be bringing in some serious talent. These guys who often host recruits may have a much more informed opinion of which way the wind is blowing.

I think Jones would have been a meaningful (12-15 mins depending on who has foul trouble) contributor. Let's see where he ends up, and if he does well I look forward to having the Ivanauskas 2.0 debate about whether NU could have used him.

Best case scenario for us as fans is that Jones thinks the program is about to take off and CC is going to be bringing in some serious talent. These guys who often host recruits may have a much more informed opinion of which way the wind is blowing.

I think Jones would have been a meaningful (15 mins) contributor. Let's see where he ends up, and if he does well I look forward to having the Ivanauskas 2.0 debate about whether NU could have used him.

I just don't see the minutes for Jones had he stayed.

I just don't see the minutes for Jones had he stayed.

That's a fair take. But Alex Olah who was one of our better front court players in recent history only averaged 24 mins per game. Dererk Pardon who had an incredible motor averaged 30+ mins. I see Ryan Young as in between those two and think with Nance picking up fouls he shouldn't (maybe that improves) then Jones would get real minutes.

Probably impossible to know for sure, but which do we think came first: Jared Jones telling CCC he was going to transfer, or CCC telling Jones he was going to offer Eduardo Andre in the 2020 class?

Could easily see Andre playing a similar role to Jones, probably after a redshirt year.

Always the chance it wasn't all about basketball. Maybe he gave NU a shot, wasn't crazy about it...and after 5 weeks of online classes decided he'd rather go to school closer to home.
Just because he's in the portal doesn't mean he's definitely leaving, correct?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT