ADVERTISEMENT

Jones to the transfer portal

Someone put up a list of transfers from all the B1G teams over the last 3-4 years. NU I think was somewhere like #12 out of 14. We have a lot less transfers than most programs in the B1G. It's the nature of the beast now. Kids want to play.

Underwood can't even recruit the Blue Chips out of Chicago to the U of I. The reality is the best kids in Chicago are being sought after by the best programs in the nation. And by the way, that includes Duke, which has an equally appealing academic sell and much more to offer a kid. Which is why if CCC beats his mentor for PBJ and MC he does deserve a statue.
You mean like First team All Big Ten Ayo Dosunmu? Or 5 star Mr. Basketball and 2 time Gatorade POY Adam Miller? Those seem like some “best kids” and Blue Chips out of Chicago to me.

Of course. Sadly, this board digresses into dopey comments. Too many geeks and bookworms on this board who just can't comprehend. Although the whole "Collins is responsible" for Jones' transfer is ridiculous, and the "Jones didn't think he could compete with our other stud players" is laughable, the All Turk Award for the most laughable comments are those who are actually excited and claim that this will free up another scholarship for some stud in 2021. Sorry, but the Jones transfer will crush next season, if there is a season. He was coming around and had boatloads of more learning and potential.
I'll give you points Wickerpark, it's coronavirus and he won't be the last player to work his way back home in the NCAA due to the virus
Turk, i agree. You are right. Obviously, Collins can't be blamed for Jones. Not sure why one person on this board is allowed to continue hammering Collins for every little thing but the person is clueless and should stick to pee wee football.

You mean like First team All Big Ten Ayo Dosunmu? Or 5 star Mr. Basketball and 2 time Gatorade POY Adam Miller? Those seem like some “best kids” and Blue Chips out of Chicago to me.
You are right, ole Red Ass has suddenly got the top dogs in Chicago. Looks like he or more likely his Assistants have figured out how to work with the AAU Coaches in Chicago. The flagship is now welcomed with open arms in the city and state. Must be his pleasant disposition and stellar success. Maybe Undie can give some tips to Lovie on how it is done in the State.

You are right, ole Red Ass has suddenly got the top dogs in Chicago. Looks like he or more likely his Assistants have figured out how to work with the AAU Coaches in Chicago. The flagship is now welcomed with open arms in the city and state. Must be his pleasant disposition and stellar success. Maybe Undie can give some tips to Lovie on how it is done in the State.
Lovie thinks it’s still a recruiting dead period. He’s going to be so confused when the state reopens in June.

Maybe, but Transfers to this degree have never happened at NU. While the current rules make transferring easier, the amount of transfers NU has experienced in a short period of time suggest more than dissatisfaction with playing time. It suggests unhappiness with the staff and the direction of the program.

Doubt it. This is the new normal. At the Division II conference I follow in Pa. we have multiple transfers from multiple teams every year. It's getting very hard for coaches at the bottom of the league to build a team because, if they have a bad season, any good player they have leaves for a more promising situation. Sometimes they even lose guys to the lower Division I programs. And the lower Division I programs can lose them to the higher-ups. Mount St. Mary's, a low Division I team in my area, had assembled a promising squad a couple of years ago and then watched 2-3 of their best players transfer out — the coach was devastated. Today's kids are gone, gone, gone if they don't get big minutes quickly.

Last edited:
But assuming you don't have a shot at professional basketball why would you trade a Northwestern degree for a lesser education

Basketball is a little different in that a lot of college players actually do end up playing professional basketball abroad. You're not going to get a Euro contract playing for 10 mins for the NU squad, but you might if you kill it at a lower league. I think this is a reason we have an easier time recruiting football players because the bulk of them will end up having regular jobs where the NU degree can make a difference getting in the door.

jensberg said:

But assuming you don't have a shot at professional basketball why would you trade a Northwestern degree for a lesser education

Basketball is a little different in that a lot of college players actually do end up playing professional basketball abroad. You're not going to get a Euro contract playing for 10 mins for the NU squad, but you might if you kill it at a lower league. I think this is a reason we have an easier time recruiting football players because the bulk of them will end up having regular jobs where the NU degree can make a difference getting in the door.
[/quote]
The “a lot of players actually do end up playing professional basketball abroad” is one heck of an illusion.

So few survive the first couple of years. Even ones that perform decently/well.

Ultimately it is amazing the majority of the successful ones do not come from elite college programs. Because it has so much to do with being able to live a life that is very different from a college program or a general “American” life. It’s about surviving the initial shock of playing against older and more developed players, being a good cultural fit to live locally and staying the course of developing as a player.

Miller is originally from Peoria. His idol growing up was DaMonte Williams. His mom is an Illini fan. Miller degree up an Illinois fan. AAU coaches had nothing to do with this recruitment.

Ayo’s family (mom and dad plus siblings) were the deciding factors in his recruitment. Outstanding family.

Why must people like you insult families by acting like everyone is on the take? With that logic, if NU gets Christie or Baldwin, it must be paying out the arse. Never mind family relationships. They don’t count, right? Must be a payout.

Miller is originally from Peoria. His idol growing up was DaMonte Williams. His mom is an Illini fan. Miller degree up an Illinois fan. AAU coaches had nothing to do with this recruitment.

Ayo’s family (mom and dad plus siblings) were the deciding factors in his recruitment. Outstanding family.

Why must people like you insult families by acting like everyone is on the take? With that logic, if NU gets Christie or Baldwin, it must be paying out the arse. Never mind family relationships. They don’t count, right? Must be a payout.
AAU coaches were heavily involved in Ayo’s recruitment. It’s well documented and it is the reason you didn’t get THT. How soon we forget? Their “camps” were not aligned. In other words their AAU pipelines. You can call it insulting the family, but I call it pointing out the facts of people that were primary influencers in the recruitment. Talk about insulting families, then you have to consider what the beloved did to THT. Pulled the rug right out from under him when he was ready to commit. As far as payouts, who knows. I certainly don’t discount with the checkered past of Undies Assistants. Hell, Miller and Wade were caught red handed and the NCAA turned a blind eye. Who could blame them if there are no consequences?

A lot of guys from smaller and less well-known programs go the European route. A guy that played for us at Shippensburg a couple of years ago is now playing pro ball in Paris and doing pretty well. Our coach, who was a Division III All-American, also played in Europe for a time.

Turk, i agree. You are right. Obviously, Collins can't be blamed for Jones. Not sure why one person on this board is allowed to continue hammering Collins for every little thing but the person is clueless and should stick to pee wee football.
Not sure why that one poster keeps hating on Collins but I guess nobody can stop him. The problem that most of the nerds on this board don't calculate is the 2020 season, if it's played. Being excited to have another spot for the alleged "All Star 2021 Recruit Class" comes by sacrificing and scrapping next season. Sure, there is a silver lining for 2021 but it assumes that PBJ and all of his friends are coming here. I mean, with Covid 19 I doubt PBJ goes to Duke or anywhere far away but it still remains to be seen if PBJ comes here and if he can recruit his buddies. Is it false hope? No. It is reasonable actually, and Collins has already proven that he can at least close deals with recruits.

Not sure why that one poster keeps hating on Collins but I guess nobody can stop him. The problem that most of the nerds on this board don't calculate is the 2020 season, if it's played. Being excited to have another spot for the alleged "All Star 2021 Recruit Class" comes by sacrificing and scrapping next season. Sure, there is a silver lining for 2021 but it assumes that PBJ and all of his friends are coming here. I mean, with Covid 19 I doubt PBJ goes to Duke or anywhere far away but it still remains to be seen if PBJ comes here and if he can recruit his buddies. Is it false hope? No. It is reasonable actually, and Collins has already proven that he can at least close deals with recruits.
Since covid may have been a reason for Jones to focus on playing close to home, what are you hearing about our chances on getting pbj?

Follow the money

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Since covid may have been a reason for Jones to focus on playing close to home, what are you hearing about our chances on getting pbj?
I think our chances are decent, especially if his father comes here. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't come here, but I would be disappointed. But as we move further into recruiting, the trend that I noted has been confirmed. Less players are committing a long way from home in the revenue sports. I've talked to some of the top experts who also confirmed that it is actually most likely that a recruit stays close to home due to the covid 14

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT