ADVERTISEMENT

Latest on Smith

IdahoAlum

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
From today's Belleville News-Democrat:

Decision day
Smith is in the closing stages of making a decision that will impact his life for the next four years and beyond.

Within a couple of weeks, he will announce where he will play college basketball. Illinois, Michigan State, Kentucky, Butler, Ohio State, Indiana, Missouri, Kansas State, Northwestern, DePaul, California, Utah and Nebraska are among the schools to offer scholarships.

“There’s so many schools coming in now,” said Smith, adding that he isn’t likely to reveal a list of three finalists before he makes his choice public.

“I’m trying to take a couple more visits,” Smith said. “I’m just getting to know all the coaches. That’s really all I’m doing. I’m trying to find a feel on the best fit for me and what will help me in my basketball career and my life after basketball.

“I’ve got a couple more places I’ve got to go to. I think I’m getting pretty close to the decision I’m going to make.”

Despite the tremendous demands on his time and the pressure of making the final decision, Smith realizes he’s in a position seldom experienced by a high-school athlete.

“I’m doing fine,” Smith said. “I’m having fun with the recruiting process because I know wherever I go, it’s going to be a job.”

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article143835014.html#storylink=cpy

This kid is good at revealing nothing. Don't play poker with him!
Indeed. Which, in an odd sort of way, makes me a tiny bit optimistic NU is still in the race. But I won't "bet the house..."

This kid is good at revealing nothing. Don't play poker with him!

"Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand"

cool-hand-luke.jpg

Reactions: mikewebb68
Assuming it's between UK and MSU at this point. I know Illinois fans will say that they are still in it, but I'm not so sure. NU, in my opinion, is almost certainly not in it.

It may be wishful thinking, but I'm going to make the assumption one of the programs who have been in it for long haul will be one of the final three - KSU, Illinois or UofI. I like NU in that case.

But it's awfully hard to pass on MSU compared to those teams.

I believe I read that he still hasn't visited Kentucky or OSU. IN the meantime, Joe Henricksen writes today, "I dont think anyone has a clear picture of where this one [Smith's recruitment] is headed."

Don't write off Missouri, either, especially if Tilmon signs with the Tigers.

the unfortunate thing is that our situation most likely fits him best. a solid established coaching staff full of good kids who have have watched him play and recruited him/developed a relationship for months, a roster situation with available 20-30 minutes (behind all of bmac, vic, and lindsey) and current unproven back-ups, a clear path to replacing bmac, and brand new facilities, and a program on the rise.

this is clearly a case were NU is not sexy enough for a kid who has blown up and has big name suitors. problems of an up-and-coming program.

Kentucky just got a commitment today from former Cal commit, 4 star 65th ranked 6'5" shooting guard. I have to think this closes out Kentucky for Smith.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ecruit-jemarl-baker-chooses-kentucky-wildcats
From the Kentucky Rivals site:

Johnson was part of Pitt's program for three years and scored nearly a dozen points per game for Kevin Stallings' program as a redshirt sophomore during the 2016-17 season. He shot 42-percent from three on the season. Rivals.com's Corey Evans reported recently that Kentucky has offered Johnson.

-- Smith visited Michigan State over the weekend. He will play in the Derby Classic this weekend. While the addition of Baker would seem to make Smith less of a priority or a need for Kentucky, it's possible Calipari would still consider taking him.

From the Kentucky Rivals site:

Johnson was part of Pitt's program for three years and scored nearly a dozen points per game for Kevin Stallings' program as a redshirt sophomore during the 2016-17 season. He shot 42-percent from three on the season. Rivals.com's Corey Evans reported recently that Kentucky has offered Johnson.

-- Smith visited Michigan State over the weekend. He will play in the Derby Classic this weekend. While the addition of Baker would seem to make Smith less of a priority or a need for Kentucky, it's possible Calipari would still consider taking him.

I was thinking more from Smith's perspective as available minutes likely drops significantly with this recent commit. But who knows. Can't ever criticize a kid for taking a good long hard look around before making a decision.

Another story in the BND today quotes Smith as saying he's still very much interested in Kentucky and will take a visit there next week. He played in the Derby Classic in Louisville this weekend. He says he also wants to visit Ohio State before making a decision.

Another story in the BND today quotes Smith as saying he's still very much interested in Kentucky and will take a visit there next week. He played in the Derby Classic in Louisville this weekend. He says he also wants to visit Ohio State before making a decision.

Money talks.

Smith's story is pretty neat, a bit similar to Anthony Davis', though without the ten-inch growth spurt.

How many kids with official visits to Wright State, SIU-E, and Northern Illinois also add Michigan State and another powerhouse to the mix? (Rhetorical.) I doubt he's headed to NU - we would have garnered at least a mention if we were in consideration (but who knows!?!) - but it's a neat story nonetheless.

the unfortunate thing is that our situation most likely fits him best. a solid established coaching staff full of good kids who have have watched him play and recruited him/developed a relationship for months, a roster situation with available 20-30 minutes (behind all of bmac, vic, and lindsey) and current unproven back-ups, a clear path to replacing bmac, and brand new facilities, and a program on the rise.

this is clearly a case were NU is not sexy enough for a kid who has blown up and has big name suitors. problems of an up-and-coming program.

Illinois could start him immediately. I'd love the kid to come to NU, but your statement is a homer statement if I ever heard one. If he wants playing time immediately (which he does), Illinois is the place to go.

Smith's story is pretty neat, a bit similar to Anthony Davis', though without the ten-inch growth spurt.

How many kids with official visits to Wright State, SIU-E, and Northern Illinois also add Michigan State and another powerhouse to the mix? (Rhetorical.) I doubt he's headed to NU - we would have garnered at least a mention if we were in consideration (but who knows!?!) - but it's a neat story nonetheless.

No really. Davis really came out of nowhere. Smith was going to Missouri to play baseball when he decided to give basketball his full attention.

Illinois could start him immediately. I'd love the kid to come to NU, but your statement is a homer statement if I ever heard one. If he wants playing time immediately (which he does), Illinois is the place to go.

if he wanted definitive playing time he would go to OSU or Illini. the rest is not a homer statement it is completely factual. neither the new illinois staff, OSU, MSU, or Kentucky have recruited him before offering I believe. They offered him without seeing him play live (except maybe OSU staff). There is not a relationship development over time, a discussion of how he fits in with the team and the offense. Coaches building a relationship with the family. its simply you're good and we have open scholarships and a reputation behind us. the rest is completely true. we have a stable coach, new facilities, a hot team with great chemistry and 90% returning.

our situation is the best from that standpoint and i am not sure how you can disagree.

Hopefully his mom and dad are heavily involved in the decision. Illinois isn't a bad choice, though he won't get what NU offers.

It would be unfortunate if he went to one of the late comers and found himself sitting on the bench into his sophomore year at a school with a meh degree and then realizes he could have had so much more academically and athletically. But that's how we get to mature.

I have to chuckle at this notion that all the other schools besides NU are "latecomers" and the NU staff has this deep relationship with Smith. NU jumped into the Smith derby about the same time as Illinois and Ohio State, right after the first of the year. It's true our coaching staff saw him play and he visited NU, but we didn't start "relationship building" until about 4 months ago. Of course Kentucky is a real latecomer to this party, but when you're Kentucky you can do that, I guess.

Guys,
Illini have Nichols, Lucas and Coleman-Lands plus Frankie Williams' son arriving at UofI and I am probably forgetting some other guys. UofI always has a ton of combo guards, their problem has always been getting PFs and Cs. OSU has a 3 year starter G Daquan Lyle and a couple of other returning players in their backcourt. The point is that Mark Smith does not have any guaranteed minutes at either of those schools.

I have to chuckle at this notion that all the other schools besides NU are "latecomers" and the NU staff has this deep relationship with Smith. NU jumped into the Smith derby about the same time as Illinois and Ohio State, right after the first of the year. It's true our coaching staff saw him play and he visited NU, but we didn't start "relationship building" until about 4 months ago. Of course Kentucky is a real latecomer to this party, but when you're Kentucky you can do that, I guess.
NU is a very different place than some of these other schools, especially Kentucky. If he can even consider going to KU, he has no interest in us. NU alumni would never stand still for Calipari's antics - I know I would not. KU seems disappointed, even angry, if a student-athlete stays for four years to earn a degree. Calipari seems himself as coaching kids to play pro ball - a fine attitude for a minor league coach or a playground supervisor, but not for a coach at a university. I do not care how many championships he wins, none of them mean anything to me. They are all tainted. He and his ilk are ruining college sports. Anyone who gives him half a look cannot seriously consider NU - we are just so very, very different.

Reactions: NUCats
NU is a very different place than some of these other schools, especially Kentucky. If he can even consider going to KU, he has no interest in us. NU alumni would never stand still for Calipari's antics - I know I would not. KU seems disappointed, even angry, if a student-athlete stays for four years to earn a degree. Calipari seems himself as coaching kids to play pro ball - a fine attitude for a minor league coach or a playground supervisor, but not for a coach at a university. I do not care how many championships he wins, none of them mean anything to me. They are all tainted. He and his ilk are ruining college sports. Anyone who gives him half a look cannot seriously consider NU - we are just so very, very different.
I had a conversation with Randy Walker, right around the time Jovan Witherspoon enrolled, where he explained what he wants to hear from recruits when he asks for their football aspirations. Roughly, he wanted to hear, "I want to win four Heisman trophies, play 15 years in the NFL, and make the Hall of Fame."

NU recruits great athletes who happen to be smart kids, not smart kids who happen to be good athletes.

NU's aspiration should be to be the place of choice for athletes who strive to win up to four Heismans or up to four Final Four MOPs. In the case of the latter, that's Kentucky right now.

Did you watch the ESPN 30 for 30 on Calipari? Let me ask you this question, what is the difference between Kentucky selling the opportunity for employment as an NBA player and NU selling connections in the business world? Why is it that NU markets its players in the NFL to recruits? Why does NU host pro days for football players? Will NU be tainted if Collins starts landing NBA type talent and kids opt to leave early? As far as I can tell, the biggest difference between NU and Kentucky is that NU requires that the players Collins and Fitz recruit meet the minimum academic standards that NU has figured out suggest a player will earn an NU degree. If Collins finds one and done kids who meet that profile, do you want him not to recruit those kids? Is NU tainted because the franchise left with a year of eligibility? What will happen if Thorsen improves again and is a projected Round 1 QB this year? If anything, Calipari is refreshingly honest in what he tells his players.

Last edited:
NU's aspiration should be to be the place of choice for athletes who strive to win up to four Heismans or up to four Final Four MOPs. In the case of the latter, that's Kentucky right now.

Pretty sure that KU doesn't have a kid on the roster thinking about hanging around for four years. And, if you're a kid that's probably going to be in school for four years, you should think about what that means for your opportunity to actually get on the court while the clock is ticking.

I had a conversation with Randy Walker, right around the time Jovan Witherspoon enrolled, where he explained what he wants to hear from recruits when he asks for their football aspirations. Roughly, he wanted to hear, "I want to win four Heisman trophies, play 15 years in the NFL, and make the Hall of Fame."

NU recruits great athletes who happen to be smart kids, not smart kids who happen to be good athletes.

It is not the goal you describe that I find objectionable, but the means used to pursue it. Universities are not trade schools. As a university professor, I can tell you that one of the major problems facing higher education today is the perspective of many parents and taxpayers that universities exist to prepare little Johnnies and Susies to get jobs.That is not my job and not the focus of an undergraduate education. Calipari's attititude would be fine at a trade school; but, not at the University of Kentucky. It certainly would not be acceptable at NU.

Pretty sure that KU doesn't have a kid on the roster thinking about hanging around for four years. And, if you're a kid that's probably going to be in school for four years, you should think about what that means for your opportunity to actually get on the court while the clock is ticking.
By "up to", I simply mean that one and done's who only intend to win one MOP or three Heismans are welcome.

It is not the goal you describe that I find objectionable, but the means used to pursue it. Universities are not trade schools. As a university professor, I can tell you that one of the major problems facing higher education today is the perspective of many parents and taxpayers that universities exist to prepare little Johnnies and Susies to get jobs.That is not my job and not the focus of an undergraduate education. Calipari's attititude would be fine at a trade school; but, not at the University of Kentucky. It certainly would not be acceptable at NU.
It sounds like your opinion is that higher education is simply for enrichment, and grad school should prepare one for the work force, and if one is not planning for four years of enrichment followed by X years of graduate school, then one should enroll in trade school or take the last retail or manufacturing jobs available in America.

Do you teach at Sarah Lawrence?

Huh?? When I was a Ch.E. at NU in the 70's, it was ALL about getting prepared for a job. Has NU changed that much in the last 40 years?

Reactions: NUCats and NUCat320
Seniors Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins would beg to differ. Both played significant roles on the UK team last season.

The five kids that started school with them and left for the pros do not disagree with me.

Nor do the four kids that came in the year after and left for the pros.

Or the four kids that came in two years later and left for the pros.

And I'm pretty sure I have Willis and Hawkins -- both Kentucky natives -- covered by the rest of my post.

Well with the current costs of education, maybe universities need to be a lot more like trade schools. Enlightenment might be nice for some but with a price tag of $300k for NU and $160K for U of I, people need to start demanding a return on that investment. And that means schools better be preparing those little Johnnies and Susies to get jobs. Most people cannot live in your protected Ivory Tower.

Huh?? When I was a Ch.E. at NU in the 70's, it was ALL about getting prepared for a job. Has NU changed that much in the last 40 years?
Engineering probably still prepares people for first jobs but the same cannot be said for most programs and majors. And with attitudes like that out of professors, it is an indication that this group has been in control of the educational system for far too long.

Reactions: willycat

this is simply not true. NU was recruiting since October when they were contacted by someone in the smith camp, and heavily involved after about mid-November. for a long time according - my sources - Smith was down to 3 schools. Kansas St., NU, and Illinois. those were the 3 schools in the power 5 schools before the accolades, and all 3 schools had visits to see him in person 5 or more times. the other schools did not have the relationship or serious recruiting interest until the accolades or roster spots opened.

And yet NU did not offer Smith until after the first of the year. So again, they were relative "latecomers" to the party -- when you offer somebody in the middle of their senior season, that is, by definition a "latecomer."

this is simply not true. NU was recruiting since October when they were contacted by someone in the smith camp, and heavily involved after about mid-November. for a long time according - my sources - Smith was down to 3 schools. Kansas St., NU, and Illinois. those were the 3 schools in the power 5 schools before the accolades, and all 3 schools had visits to see him in person 5 or more times. the other schools did not have the relationship or serious recruiting interest until the accolades or roster spots opened.

I've always felt that Illinois had a huge advantage based on geography. Once I read that Smith was big Butler fan, I thought Butler may have an in. I still think he is going to end up at Illinois or Butler but, that said, if you watch his senior year highlights on YouTube, you can see really quick why Kentucky and MSU and all the big boys offered. Smith shows solid range to 4-5 feet behind the arc and strength overpowering competition. These were things that did not show up in his prior film. While I was of the opinion that Smith was being over recruited, after watching a minute of the new video, that opinion changed quickly.

And if it makes people around here feel better, the kids NU is recruiting for 2018 and even Gaines show similar traits in their film. Gaines does not have nearly the range and Ryan lacks the physique that Smith has, but they have similarly impressive games.

Last edited:
And yet NU did not offer Smith until after the first of the year. So again, they were relative "latecomers" to the party -- when you offer somebody in the middle of their senior season, that is, by definition a "latecomer."
Wasn't Smith into Baseball prior to his Sr. year and not focused on playing BB? As a result, everyone was by your definition "late". Just that NU was on him from the beginning (relative to other P5 programs) of when he made the decision to go after BB.

Smith was going to Missouri to play baseball prior to his senior season. You are correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT