ADVERTISEMENT

Latest on Smith

ChiTown, I am definitely glad that Mark Smith did not choose MSU.

As for your walk down memory lane for Illini basket, let me help you. Yes, in the 1980s and 1990s, the Illini was very strong during "the Chevy Blazer Era and Jimmy Collins Era". Then Bruce Pearl exposed that fact in "the Deon Thomas scandal era" and the program went south as the Illini were put on probation. The Illini was excellent during the Lon Kruger Era and the Bill Self Era, but not so hot in the Brucy Weber and John Groce Era. Unfortunately, you might not want to admit this, but for the past 10-20 years, UW and MSU have been the top 2 in the Big 10. Over past 10 years, Illinois went from maybe the 4th-5th team in the Big 10 to 10-11th place in the Big 10. Without Malcom Hill, not sure who leads the squad next season. With all five leading scorers returning for NU and adding 4-star performers like Falzon and Ivaunauskas, NU will be ranked much higher for next season than UofI, Southern Illinois' Big 10 Team. As for Tillman, I would not be surprised if Cuonzo or Travis Ford of SLU work their magic to get Tillmon, but even if Tillmon winds up at UofI, it takes big guys more time to develop than little guys. Still looking at the 10th best team in the Big 10 next season behind (MSU, Minny, NU, UW, UM, Purdue, Maryland, Iowa and PSU). Have fun with that type of season from Underwood and his crew.

Mark Smith is a 6'5" SG and the Illini have a returning SGs in 4 star Jalen Coleman Lands, 6'6" Kipper Nichols and Aaron Jordan returning and three SGs recruits in Frankie Williams' son and another 4-star SG coming in. So Illinois will have 6 SGs fighting for minutes. Good luck for all those minutes at Illinois for Mark Smith. As for recent and relevant history, NU has made the tourney and Round of 32 last season and the Illini has not been in the tourney the past two seasons and once in the past 5 seasons. That is no reason to puff your chests out. NU lost to the Illini at home because Lindsey was out. And the Illini were hot from 3s in Sham-bana. NU might remember those losses next season.

But congrats to the Illini. Nice get but your program is not a top 20-40 program anymore and has not been since Billy Self left Champaign. Yes, I know Uncle Brucey led the Illini to the NCAA finals in his first season with Self players and a home game in the regional finals v. Arizona at the Rosemont Horizon but has declined from there to where they are today, a no. 10 seed in the BTT or lower.

Man, I root for Illinois' suffering as much as anyone, having grown up in the suburbs with too many people who couldn't get into NU. (This is a joke. Sort of.) But Illinois basketball has a great history and will be a huge deal in Chicago again the moment they show a heartbeat. There's room for both programs to be good and create the kind of rivalry this city deserves.

Reactions: Inovacat
Just wait until they have a little success against us.
Underwood was quoted in the Belleville paper today as saying Smith is his point guard. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting at that position next year. Kid is an excellent all-around talent and everything I've read about him indicates he's a great kid as well. Illinois got a good one and I wish NU could have landed him.

Reactions: scru
Mark Smith is a 6'5" SG and the Illini have a returning SGs in 4 star Jalen Coleman Lands, 6'6" Kipper Nichols and Aaron Jordan returning and three SGs recruits in Frankie Williams' son and another 4-star SG coming in. So Illinois will have 6 SGs fighting for minutes. Good luck for all those minutes at Illinois for Mark Smith. As for recent and relevant history, NU has made the tourney and Round of 32 last season and the Illini has not been in the tourney the past two seasons and once in the past 5 seasons. That is no reason to puff your chests out. NU lost to the Illini at home because Lindsey was out. And the Illini were hot from 3s in Sham-bana. NU might remember those losses next season.

But congrats to the Illini. Nice get but your program is not a top 20-40 program anymore and has not been since Billy Self left Champaign. Yes, I know Uncle Brucey led the Illini to the NCAA finals in his first season with Self players and a home game in the regional finals v. Arizona at the Rosemont Horizon but has declined from there to where they are today, a no. 10 seed in the BTT or lower.

The whole part about defending why we lost to them... it kinda kills your whole argument. I think we're in a better place than Illinois, but these fools still have scoreboard on us. I'd prefer to wait until we start kicking their asses regularly like in football before we trash talk them. Then again, that never stopped me with dOSU. Carry on.

Reactions: all4theillini
The whole part about defending why we lost to them... it kinda kills your whole argument. I think we're in a better place than Illinois, but these fools still have scoreboard on us. I'd prefer to wait until we start kicking their asses regularly like in football before we trash talk them. Then again, that never stopped me with dOSU. Carry on.
Well played E.C., well played.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Illinois basketball was a top 3-4 program in the Big Ten for all of the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s. We were pretty bad in the 1970s, after the Slush Fund scandal, and we have sucked during the late Weber years/Groce Era. History says that was the exception, not the norm, and I have confidence Underwood will get us back to our expected success. I might be wrong, and we can't brag until we get there! I like the start he's off to, so we'll see.

From 1953 to 1969, the Illini won one Big Ten title (shared). Indiana, Iowa, MSU, OSU and Michigan all won at least three during that time. But Illinois "was a top 3-4 program in the Big Ten" for all of the 50s and 60s? Wow. At least NU fans admit failures from past years, and don't just make things up.

From 1953 to 1969, the Illini won one Big Ten title (shared). Indiana, Iowa, MSU, OSU and Michigan all won at least three during that time. But Illinois "was a top 3-4 program in the Big Ten" for all of the 50s and 60s? Wow. At least NU fans admit failures from past years, and don't just make things up.

Sorry, was speaking specifically in the actual standings in those decades using winning percentage. Illinois finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th in each of those decade's regular season Big Ten standings (when you combine each season's standings for records through the decades). Look, dude, not saying UI is Duke, just illustrating they've maintained successful basketball for most of their history. You can't get the best all-time winning pctg. in the conference, including IU, if you were "only Bill Self," as some here like to pretend. Whatever, though, I guess I don't expect you to respect our tradition, potential or expectations.

Sorry, was speaking specifically in the actual standings in those decades using winning percentage. Illinois finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th in each of those decade's regular season Big Ten standings (when you combine each season's standings for records through the decades). Look, dude, not saying UI is Duke, just illustrating they've maintained successful basketball for most of their history. You can't get the best all-time winning pctg. in the conference, including IU, if you were "only Bill Self," as some here like to pretend. Whatever, though, I guess I don't expect you to respect our tradition, potential or expectations.
Quite a stretch. Isn't it time to roll on over to the illini boards and celebrate. Then go out to a 5* Steakhouse or a 4* Italian. Sorry guess those don't exist down Champaign way, so guess you could go out and party, by milking the cows.

Quite a stretch. Isn't it time to roll on over to the illini boards and celebrate. Then go out to a 5* Steakhouse or a 4* Italian. Sorry guess those don't exist down Champaign way, so guess you could go out and party, by milking the cows.

I'll disregard how incredibly ignorant, elitist, rude and uncalled for this is and go ahead and simply focus on its stupidity: I CLEARLY live in Chicago, genius. LOL

Last edited:
To be fair Glades, that's because the only people who go to their boards are trolls like you and I. Putting up ThaKid up against the great Gladeskat just isn't fair. It's like fighting a girl.

ThaKid digs his own graves with his "Illinois will be competitive with Alabama" nonsense just before they go 2-10 with Beckman. I don't have to help him much. He is hilarious, but at least he's positive. Many on the Scout board are ultra-negative Turk-like posters. I like to troll ThaKid and those negative guys on Scout. I often send PMs, which has enraged them and started threads on their board. My PM mailbox currently has 2 messages from one angry dude that I haven't opened yet.

I behave on the Illinois Rivals board because there are much saner, more optimistic people there.

Speaking of fighting a girl (which I would never do), I got punched in the head by a woman (coke-addicted Trumpster who makes Aileen Wuornos look like Shirley Temple...I live in ultra-redneck country) at a party last Friday. She didn't care for my very honest and straight-forward assessment of her knowledge of environmental politics and her demeanor. She's lucky I'm a gentleman.

Last edited:
Reactions: scru
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT