Latest speculation on PBJ

Smolmania

Gold Member
Nov 4, 2008

STOCK DOWN: PATRICK BALDWIN JR., MILWAUKEE​

11078341.jpg
(Photo: Getty)
Current ranking: 37 | Previous ranking: 30
CBS Sports: "One can only skate on reputation and pedigree for so long. Baldwin Jr., unfortunately -- even as a former No. 1 recruit -- just isn't the same prospect we once thought he was. That certainly could change! He's 6-9, has an effortless shooting motion, projects as a jumbo wing who can score it from anywhere. But he struggled at Milwaukee. If he returns to school he could rebuild his draft stock, but I can't have him as a first-rounder right now given the injury risk he presents and the fact that he's not looked like a former five-star in quite some time."
What it means: It's still a safe bet to assume that Patrick Baldwin Jr. will stay in the 2022 NBA Draft, and he has the talent that could intrigue a franchise enough to take a swing on him. But if he returns, Baldwin would garner serious interest.

He should go pro. But if he does return to college, there’s zero chance he’s coming to play for a program that saw two top players abandon ship.

He should go pro. But if he does return to college, there’s zero chance he’s coming to play for a program that saw two top players abandon ship.
CCC: "Hit me with it - just give it to me straight... the least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?"
PBJ: "Not good."
CCC: "You mean 'not good' like 1 out of 100?"
PBJ: "I'd say, More like 1 out of a million."
CCC: "So you're telling me there's a chance... YEAHHH!!!! I read you..."

His stock does seem to have dropped, but the NBA Combine is in a week. I'll be more interested in the draft projections following his performance at the Combine. We don't have to wait that long.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Are we really saying Pete Nance abandoned ship? He played here for 4 years. Could he have come back? Sure, but I wouldn’t say he abandoned the Northwestern program.
Yes, I’m really saying that. If you’re a star and you leave your program at a critical juncture to play at another college to improve your draft profile or to win, you’re abandoning ship. You may be justified in doing so, but whether or not you have a degree is irrelevant. All-American Evan Eschmeyer is a Top-3 guy in program history and he could have played anywhere in the country for his 5th and 6th years, but he stayed and played for some mediocre KO squads. At the end of the day, there’s no difference between what Rex Walters and Steve Lepore did and this - they all left the program to do what was right for them, regardless if it sunk the program. I’m not mad at Pete for choosing himself, but he’s definitely bailing; and it’s a very very bad sign for the future of the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
Yes, I’m really saying that. When you’re a star and you leave your program at a critical juncture and opt to play elsewhere, you’re abandoning ship. You may have good reasons for doing it - and Pete may very well have them - but whether or not you have a degree is irrelevant. All-American Evan Eschmeyer is a Top-3 guy in program history and he could have played anywhere in the country for his 5th and 6th years, but he stayed and played for some mediocre KO squads. At the end of the day, there’s no difference between what Rex Walters and Steve Lepore did and this - at the end of the day, they all left the program to do what was right for them, even if it sunk the program. I’m not mad at Pete, but he’s definitely bailing; and it’s a very very bad sign for the future of the program.

I'd say if a guy transfers before he gets his diploma there are many possible reasons, including...

a) bailed on the program
b) didn't like Northwestern in general
c) wanted more playing time
d) couldn't handle the academics
e) too cold, too far from home, etc...

After he graduates, he is free to do whatever he wants, since the NU diploma is either the primary or secondary goal for the vast majority of our players. With Nance, if he goes back to college and enrolls at Utah State or something, then yeah that would look bad.

I'd say if a guy transfers before he gets his diploma there are many possible reasons, including...

a) bailed on the program

After he graduates, he is free to do whatever he wants, since the NU diploma is either the primary or secondary goal for the vast majority of our players. With Nance, if he goes back to college and enrolls at Utah State or something, then yeah that would look bad.
Poor example. Utah State has been to the NCAA tournament 22 times. Now if he transferred to Idaho State, that would look bad.

Reactions: harkesnu

a) bailed on the program

From what I've seen of Nance, he seemed all in at Northwestern. Both he and RY made
personal decisions based on what they thought was best for their future. Too bad that Northwestern under Collins is not the vehicle that will take them where they want to go.

Poor example. Utah State has been to the NCAA tournament 22 times. Now if he transferred to Idaho State, that would look bad.
And there was one time Utah St. was in the top 25 (AP) and was snubbed by the NCAA Tournament and played in the NIT. They entered the NIT with a 25-3 record.

Harsh.

I wonder if that's the last ranked team in the NIT? (2004)

This Utah State team made the tournament.

Maybe Pete Nance and PBJ both wind up at Illinois.

"Under Collins" could just as easily be omitted and the sentence would retain its meaning.
DaCat wrote "Too bad that Northwestern under Collins is not the vehicle that will take them where they want to go."

Putting "under Collins" in the sentence makes it much less defeatist, in my opinion.

Northwestern was Ryan Young's dream school. He didn't decide to transfer because of Bill Carmody.
Although it is technically possible that NU's grad schools wouldn't admit him!

Baldwin is a bust. He may get drafted but don’t expect him to do much in the NBA, if he even sticks. It didn’t help going to play for his father on a bad team and program. He may have developed into a decent player if he would have gone to a top program and been around good players and coaches.

Baldwin apparently was on the NU campus this weekend.

I can’t think NU would be interested, what with Audige and Beran having the 3 and 4 spots locked down (ducks).

In many ways, it’s a great landing spot for him to prove he’s ‘the guy’, but also tremendously risky if it doesn’t work out (whether through injuries or inability to shoot) for a second straight year.

Playing the Pete Nance role got Pete Nance onto a pro radar, for what it’s worth.

If I'm PBS, I don't think I want to sway PBJ toward another program where he will be an unproven focus of the program for another coach on the rocks. If PBJ returns to school, there are one of many reasons for him to simply be somewhat just another player on a more talented team.

The dreamer in me also wonders if PBS is returning to NU. Hell of an assistant.

My guess is somehow it was an open workout for an NBA team or six. But I have no clue.

EDIT: NBA combine is in the city this week also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dugan15
So am I correct that the only immediate help we can get is one of the guys who declared for the NBA draft and the transfer portal?

Thats not too many guys, maybe 25...???

Looking thru the list, I don't see many who are currently at good academic schools...

Michael Jones, out of Davidson, a good player who can shoot... he may be our last and best remaining chance.
He has 2 years of eligibility left and Davidson doesn't offer any graduate programs...

He is down to 3 schools.... NU (we got grad schools!), Minnesota (he grew up there) and Alabama (here's a big pile of cash and a new car).

Apparently Jones is now saying its between Alabama, Northwestern and Stanford.

Minnesota basketball board grumbling....

"Losing out on him to Northwestern would be a bad look..."

"Stanford or Northwestern make sense if academics are a high priority for him."

"As of right now, we desperately need a wing and we just had a local wing appear to put Northwestern and Alabama higher than us."

"Last I checked, Northwestern and Stanford are two of the top schools in the nation. Perish the thought a kid might have other goals than just basketball when considering grad school options."

See? Even some Gopher fans know what kind of player NU should be targeting and concede that we have an advantage. Why is that so difficult for alleged Wildcat fans to admit?

After the draft lottery ESPN. Had a mock draft with PBJ going 19th to Memphis.

Nance wasn’t selected in either round of the mock draft.

Can't wait for him to get drafted, so we can put a stop, once and for all, to all the sad speculation about him and NU.
Maybe he will get drafted, play a couple years as a reserve, then become overwhelmed with guilt about his lack of a college diploma, decide to go back to college and select Northwestern.

Insomnia inspired me to look at mock drafts. From first page Google results, I found four that had him out of the first round (as low as 41), and three in the first round (20 to SA, 27 to MIA, 28 to GS.)

A shame he’s not bringing the Cats to the Dance… lololol

A scathing review in The Athletic today.....

48. Patrick Baldwin | 6-9 | SF | Wisconsin-Milwaukee

A tall wing with some perimeter skill who teases with talent in between bouts of sleepwalking, Baldwin comes from a proud draft lineage that includes Austin Daye and Kevin Knox. I don’t really see what the excitement is here, but I’m fascinated to see which team will take the plunge. The idea of Baldwin — a big wing with a 7-1 wingspan and deep shooting range — is alluring, but the reality on the court last year was borderline disastrous.

Even in a poor conference, Baldwin was a below-average player, and in ways that don’t augur well for an NBA translation. Athleticism? Heh. He had the worst standing vertical and worst sprint time of any non-center at the combine, and the worst max vertical of anyone there.

The reason to draft him is a belief that his shooting can come around. Baldwin launched 64 3s in his 11 college games but only made 26.6 percent of them; there is a belief based on his AAU play that he’s capable of much better than this. If so, there could be a stretch four hiding in there somewhere.

A scathing review in The Athletic today.....

48. Patrick Baldwin | 6-9 | SF | Wisconsin-Milwaukee

A tall wing with some perimeter skill who teases with talent in between bouts of sleepwalking, Baldwin comes from a proud draft lineage that includes Austin Daye and Kevin Knox. I don’t really see what the excitement is here, but I’m fascinated to see which team will take the plunge. The idea of Baldwin — a big wing with a 7-1 wingspan and deep shooting range — is alluring, but the reality on the court last year was borderline disastrous.

Even in a poor conference, Baldwin was a below-average player, and in ways that don’t augur well for an NBA translation. Athleticism? Heh. He had the worst standing vertical and worst sprint time of any non-center at the combine, and the worst max vertical of anyone there.

The reason to draft him is a belief that his shooting can come around. Baldwin launched 64 3s in his 11 college games but only made 26.6 percent of them; there is a belief based on his AAU play that he’s capable of much better than this. If so, there could be a stretch four hiding in there somewhere.

Has to be the Coaching!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT