ADVERTISEMENT

Milwaukee terrible - Baldwin Jr. a bust ?

The Purple Knight

Gold Member
Dec 24, 2020
Milwaukee has a losing record (5-9) and plays a weak schedule. Their getting smoked tonight by 4-7 Detroit Mercy. Basically, they're terrible. Baldwin Jr. has played 8 games this season and is averaging a pedestrian 13 pts, and 1 assist per game with poor shooting percentages from the field and 3-pointers. Some of us felt the kid was over-hyped, when in reality he may be a 6-9 outside shooter who plays a little on the soft side. He's always hurt and has missed almost half the games this season. Too early to call him a bust, buy his stock is trending down.

Milwaukee has a losing record (5-9) and plays a weak schedule. Their getting smoked tonight by 4-7 Detroit Mercy. Basically, they're terrible. Baldwin Jr. has played 8 games this season and is averaging a pedestrian 13 pts, and 1 assist per game with poor shooting percentages from the field and 3-pointers. Some of us felt the kid was over-hyped, when in reality he may be a 6-9 outside shooter who plays a little on the soft side. He's always hurt and has missed almost half the games this season. Too early to call him a bust, buy his stock is trending down.
If his dad gets fired, would he transfer to NU? I'm sure we'd still take him. Duke, UNC, and Kentucky would likely pass...

For what it's worth, Baldwin didn't play last night. Also, when I googled Baldwin's injury status I landed on a Duke basketball news website that was aware of all things Baldwin. So I suspect Baldwin remains in their coaching staff's thoughts.

If his dad gets fired, would he transfer to NU? I'm sure we'd still take him. Duke, UNC, and Kentucky would likely pass...
I doubt there’s a P5 school that wouldn’t take him. Just because he’s no longer in the discussion as the first pick in the draft doesn’t mean he won’t be highly coveted as a transfer. He might also just go straight to the draft after this season.

Reactions: hdhntr1
NBA draft prognositcators continue to evaluate him as the 11th pick in next years draft if he goes pro after this season. Did anyone see that star/fellow on Udetroit-mercy's team play vs milwaukee? He looked like a first round nba pick himself...?? It was like he made every shot he attempted. Our former point guard recruit for mil looked very pedestrian and not so good. Not sure if he would have helped our cause if his admission wasn't denied

NBA draft prognositcators continue to evaluate him as the 11th pick in next years draft if he goes pro after this season. Did anyone see that star/fellow on Udetroit-mercy's team play vs milwaukee? He looked like a first round nba pick himself...?? It was like he made every shot he attempted. Our former point guard recruit for mil looked very pedestrian and not so good. Not sure if he would have helped our cause if his admission wasn't denied
Google Antoine Davis and you will find he’s had some coverage for a while. From practicing like a maniac, to working out with pros on the off season, to watching junk food to try to gain some weight.

If you can believe it he was a bigger scorer as a freshman than later on. He has worked on getting others involved and bulking up. He’s scrawny but was like a tooth pick when he started.

I’ve been keeping up with his game as I saw him play live a couple of times and he just stood out.

Wow Detroit kicked their asses. Should have had a Mercy rule and ended early

Imagine PBJ and Christie at NU? 🤦‍♂️

Junior had 5 points in a loss at league leading Cleveland State. Panthers are 5-10
I just got back from this game, and was going to post my views in an appropriate thread.
I’ll start with Jordan Lathon, who didn’t really do much of anything to impact the game (2-9 shooting, 0-3 on 3s, 3-4 FT…7 points, 5 rebounds, 0 assists). Only throwing him in here, because there is some history with him and NU.

PBJ (1-8 shooting, 0-4 on 3s, 3-4 FT…5 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block). Cleveland State guarded him with a smaller guard most of the game, who was a little physical with him, and it seemed to bother him. When he got in the paint, he didn’t try to finish strong, and overall seemed a little averse to contact. I know he has missed a number of games due to injury, which might make a young player a bit tentative. The player I saw today was nowhere near ready for the NBA without more significant development.

Just my thoughts on what I saw today.

It’s interesting that mock drafts still have him in the top 20. I realize drafting is often based on potential more than production but you’d think that he’d need to be doing a lot better to maintain his preseason reputation. It’s not like he’s playing in a major conference. So far he’s been an average player on a bad team in the Horizon.

If his dad is fired and he doesn’t declare for the draft (two very big ifs), I guess it’s not insane to think that he could end up at NU.

Overhyped and Soft. Did he duck the BigTen and ACC to play in the Horizon league to avoid getting exposed? Well it happened anyway. Milwaukee can keep him.

8 pts last night in a 75-39 loss at home against Northern Kentucky. 5-11 for the year. Things definitely look bleak for, mostly, senior in Milwaukee

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium999

Thanks, Mr Positivity.

• Haha
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
It’s interesting that mock drafts still have him in the top 20. I realize drafting is often based on potential more than production but you’d think that he’d need to be doing a lot better to maintain his preseason reputation. It’s not like he’s playing in a major conference. So far he’s been an average player on a bad team in the Horizon.

If his dad is fired and he doesn’t declare for the draft (two very big ifs), I guess it’s not insane to think that he could end up at NU.
Lol, could you imagine the uproar on this board if PBJ was putting up those numbers at NU. CCC would be strung up from the rafters of WR by game 3. Can’t develop players, exhibit A.

Lol, could you imagine the uproar on this board if PBJ was putting up those numbers at NU. CCC would be strung up from the rafters of WR by game 3. Can’t develop players, exhibit A.
Arguably as good as Nance was a Freshman. More production/more minutes/worse "productivity(?)", weaker schedule. Would I be the first to say he's basically Pete Nance with more hype?

I figure there's a zero percent chance he ends up at NU, but I'd take another 3 years of Nance-like performance.

I suppose he might get drafted anyway, because I don't know sh1te about the NBA.

If you watch some of the games, the kid is uber talented. So incredibly smooth. Before the injury, he did not have a great game at Florida. And still, while watching it, I found it apparent he was, by far, the most talented guy on the court.

Maybe his injury that sidelined him for a while is getting in the way.

What I find pretty unfair to the kid is that it seems an even weirder dynamic than choosing where to play is developing:
1) He can go pro, will still get drafted, even if significantly lower than predicted.
2) He can stay
3) Problem with #1 and #2 is that staying might be the only way his dad does not get fired

That's not a fair burden for him to carry.

If you watch some of the games, the kid is uber talented. So incredibly smooth. Before the injury, he did not have a great game at Florida. And still, while watching it, I found it apparent he was, by far, the most talented guy on the court.

Maybe his injury that sidelined him for a while is getting in the way.

What I find pretty unfair to the kid is that it seems an even weirder dynamic than choosing where to play is developing:
1) He can go pro, will still get drafted, even if significantly lower than predicted.
2) He can stay
3) Problem with #1 and #2 is that staying might be the only way his dad does not get fired

That's not a fair burden for him to carry.
It’s pretty clear that PBS is not a good enough head coach. Certainly not what either senior or junior signed up for.

That said, this obviously wasn’t a 100% ‘basketball-first’ decision for PBJ, and I sincerely hope he and his dad can look back on this and smile decades from now, hopefully from, like, Junior’s private island. (“Private island” odds are low, but NBA scouts are pretty good at evaluating talent, and he’s gonna make a fair amount of $$ soon.)

Looks like subscription not needed for this article. Judging by comments the natives are getting restless..

It must be nice to get regular coverage from the local paper. It doesn't seem like the Tribune can afford the el fare to send someone up to Evanston anymore.

It looks like PBJ's best amateur game may have come at Welsh-Ryan Arena, when his HS team lost to ETHS in triple overtime.

It must be nice to get regular coverage from the local paper. It doesn't seem like the Tribune can afford the el fare to send someone up to Evanston anymore.

It looks like PBJ's best amateur game may have come at Welsh-Ryan Arena, when his HS team lost to ETHS in triple overtime.

It is pretty sad when you think of the Trib's and Sun-Times' coverage of local college and HS sports being put to shame by the Milwaukee paper. Although I'm a Chicagoan (and Bears and Cubs STH) I actually subscribe to the J-S to get their coverage of Packers/Brewers/Badgers. They also have very good outdoors coverage (which is non-existent at the Trib and on life support at the S-T). The subscription also gets you access to local sports coverage for the whole Gannett/USA Today network which for purposes of the B10 gets you Ohio/Indiana/Michigan markets.

Thanks, Mr Positivity.
The kid is an official bust, and Sr. ain’t much better as a coach. Jr. went 3 for 11 for 8 points against Northern Kentucky (not Kentucky or even Western Kentucky). Sr has been a bust at UW-Mil and stands at 54-88 against light competition. It’s too bad but PBJ is a fraud and there’s a reason be ducked the Big Ten and ACC. Now he has a real problem because everyone knows he can’t do it against Horizon league competition. Poor man’s Pete Nance.

The kid is an official bust, and Sr. ain’t much better as a coach. Jr. went 3 for 11 for 8 points against Northern Kentucky (not Kentucky or even Western Kentucky). Sr has been a bust at UW-Mil and stands at 54-88 against light competition. It’s too bad but PBJ is a fraud and there’s a reason be ducked the Big Ten and ACC. Now he has a real problem because everyone knows he can’t do it against Horizon league competition. Poor man’s Pete Nance.
Sounds like the injury still getting in the way. THat said, he father did pretty well as an assistant here and his input missing since he has been gone. Perhaps that was the secret sauce for CCC. It would seem both Jr and Sr could use a change of venue. James works pretty well with Bigs.

Reactions: mountaindrew
UWM ended its season today with a loss in the first round of the HL tournament.

10-22 (8-14)
Kids a Bust! Another Pete Nance at best. 6-10 perimeter guy that’s soft inside. PBJ Would’ve gotten crushed in the Big Ten, ACC or SEC.

I would have to give PBJ a grade of "incomplete" given how much of the season he missed, including this game.
I never thought Jr. playing for Dad and his job - on a poor team - in a bad league - with a damaged wheel - was a good idea. You could stop at “playing for Dad” and I would have said the same thing. All the worse when Dad is in charge of a struggling program and son has his own issues to deal with even under the best of circumstances.

Mixing business with family is so problematic. Still hoping all ends well for Jr. and Sr.

I never thought Jr. playing for Dad and his job - on a poor team - in a bad league - with a damaged wheel - was a good idea. You could stop at “playing for Dad” and I would have said the same thing. All the worse when Dad is in charge of a struggling program and son has his own issues to deal with even under the best of circumstances.

Mixing business with family is so problematic. Still hoping all ends well for Jr. and Sr.
Yep, although sometimes it works. Iowa would be a good example of a positive outcome, although under much different circumstances.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Yep, although sometimes it works. Iowa would be a good example of a positive outcome, although under much different circumstances.

Connor McCaffrey never had the expectations on him that PBJ did/does. Different situations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT