ADVERTISEMENT

Meet the under-the-radar QB who is quickly gaining momentum ahead of the NFL draft

Alright, Campbell is a likely draft pick since he grades out to Rd 4-5. Let me ask the group this question. Who of these three is the next most likely to be drafted?

Ariguzo
Siemian
Vitabile

Alright, Campbell is a likely draft pick since he grades out to Rd 4-5. Let me ask the group this question. Who of these three is the next most likely to be drafted?

Ariguzo
Siemian
Vitabile
None of them will be drafted. Trevor and Brandon will sign as UFAs.

Siemian. With such high interest someone may burn a draft pick on him.

I think Trevor has the potential to be a 10 year NFL QB but the key will be finding the right situation with the right depth chart and coaching (the Bears might be a good fit). Trevor's up and down career can be attributed to many of the things that have been mentioned in this thread but ultimately the biggest problem is that he was not an ideal fit to run the spread offense that NU and a lot of college football teams run. Trevor's skill set is much better suited to the NFL game and with some development in his accuracy and decision making, I think Trevor can have a nice career as a backup NFL QB. Reminds me a little of Frank Reich from his days as the backup QB with the Bills.

I agree with Corbi. He was a square peg in a round hole, lacking the speed to run a spread, and prevented from pocket passing both because of the spread and the lack of OL protection (and poor separation by the receivers). Reminds me if Orton at times . With proper protection and training he could be a long term survivor in the Sunday games

I'm going to agree and disagree.

Agree that TS was not a right fit for the run-oriented, read-option spread (which isn't used to its full potential w/o a true dual-threat QB like Persa), but was fine for the pass-oriented spread O that McCall wanted to run and did run with Kafka.

Of course, things didn't exactly work out when the O-line and receivers underwhelmed and exacerbating that was Siemian's ankle injury which basically made him a sitting duck.

But as we saw in the 4th Q of the UM game, the ND game and part of the PU game - that Siemian has enough legs (which has been underestimated) to get away from trouble and to buy time for the receivers to get open.

Maybe not as good of a passer as Persa on the run, but Siemian is certainly capable of throwing on the run.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I'm going to agree and disagree.

Agree that TS was not a right fit for the run-oriented, read-option spread (which isn't used to its full potential w/o a true dual-threat QB like Persa), but was fine for the pass-oriented spread O that McCall wanted to run and did run with Kafka.

Of course, things didn't exactly work out when the O-line and receivers underwhelmed and exacerbating that was Siemian's ankle injury which basically made him a sitting duck.

But as we saw in the 4th Q of the UM game, the ND game and part of the PU game - that Siemian has enough legs (which has been underestimated) to get away from trouble and to buy time for the receivers to get open.

Maybe not as good of a passer as Persa on the run, but Siemian is certainly capable of throwing on the run.

My concern for his pro career is that he's certainly capable of making bad decisions and throwing into double and triple coverage, or not accounting for the whereabouts of linebackers. He's shown he's not good handling a strong rush and he's going to see a lot more of that from better athletes in the pros. He can certainly improve and adjust, though. He throws a nice ball. I hope he stays healthy and succeeds.

^ TS tried to make the big play too often earlier in his career at NU, but since has cut down on making the risky throw into double/triple coverage.

Think there were just 3-4 ill-advised passed down-field this past season (against double-coverage, would help if had Megatron or some other elite receiver).

All QBs, even the great ones make the mistake of not seeing/accounting for the LBer, esp. when under pressure.

Think most of TS's INTs have been of the down the filed variety, but yeah, this is something that TS could work - tho I think that one INT during the Minny game 2 seasons ago was not all on TS's shoulders.

TS handling of the rush was night and day btwn the 1st 3 quarters of the UM game and the 4th Q.

Not sure how many QBs would look good when the OC calls for a deep, stationary drop when the O-line is letting defenders thru and the WRs can't get separation in time.

Brady went from a has-been to a SB winning QB in all of one season basically due to the Pats fixing their O-line situation and making better use of the weapons they did have.

Winston's QB production went down despite a yr of experience under his belt.

QB rating - dropped from 185 to 145.
TD to INT ratio dropped from 40/10 to 25/18.

JW's decline in production had to do w/ his O-line not being as stout and not having as many (experienced) weapons as targets.

Siemian has all the physical tools to be a decent to good QB in the - whether he sticks will be up to his ability to read coverages and make the correct decision.

We all wish him well in the NFL. The guy was terrific when he was on his game. Perhaps I'm being too judgmental, but the pick-6 in the OSU game, and the pick-6 and other pick in the Minnesota game, and the pick-6 in the Nebraska game in 2013 stand out in my mind as examples of not reading coverage carefully enough. Those picks and others stand out in my mind, just like Kafka's picks in the Outback Bowl. Wipe out those mistakes and we would have gone to a nice bowl game in 2013.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT