ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney week

haywood jahblowme

Aug 5, 2010
here is to hoping we get good news this week regarding mooney. could really put a cap on a tremendous talent upgrade year for NU.

i really do think NU is the best option out of the 3 schools for various reasons - but i actually think the close to home thing will work against the cats here. hoping i'm wrong though.

here is to hoping we get good news this week regarding mooney. could really put a cap on a tremendous talent upgrade year for NU.

i really do think NU is the best option out of the 3 schools for various reasons - but i actually think the close to home thing will work against the cats here. hoping i'm wrong though.

When was the last time you were wrong about something on these boards? I cannot recall a single example.

Why do you think being close to home is a negative in this case?

Why do you think being close to home is a negative in this case?

I have the same question. I can see how it’s not the only factor in his decision, but if he wants to have a sports business job in the Chicago area after his basketball days, the connections made through NU could be quite valuable.

Not to mention the fact that he’d have the ball in his hands and have the offense run through him for 30 minutes a game.

We will see.

He's getting a business-related undergrad degree. For a kid from Chicago, NU/Kellogg is not a bad option if wants to live here after basketball. On another thread it was discussed that other grad transfers aren't so focused on academics. Could be a factor with Matt and family.

I went to North Central College, 3 miles from the house I grew up in. I went home as much or as little as I wanted. I might as well have gone to a school that was a 4 hour flight away.

Distance is extremely overrated IMO

Reactions: Gladeskat
I went to North Central College, 3 miles from the house I grew up in. I went home as much or as little as I wanted. I might as well have gone to a school that was a 4 hour flight away.

Distance is extremely overrated IMO
Same with me. I grew up three town north of Evanston, but it was like two different worlds when I was there. On top of it I could pop home if and when I wanted.

Reactions: nu greek
Same with me. I grew up three town north of Evanston, but it was like two different worlds when I was there. On top of it I could pop home if and when I wanted.

And not like Wauconda is exactly up the road from Evanston.

I have the same question. I can see how it’s not the only factor in his decision, but if he wants to have a sports business job in the Chicago area after his basketball days, the connections made through NU could be quite valuable.

Not to mention the fact that he’d have the ball in his hands and have the offense run through him for 30 minutes a game.

We will see.
With Lathon? I would guess that they would share some time on the floor and during that period, it would be Lathon running things. When Lathon was sitting is when Mooney would run things. If we do get Mooney however, where does Ash fall on the depth chart?

With Lathon? I would guess that they would share some time on the floor and during that period, it would be Lathon running things. When Lathon was sitting is when Mooney would run things. If we do get Mooney however, where does Ash fall on the depth chart?
Likely down to the far end of the bench.

Likely down to the far end of the bench.

If you take the roster and add Mooney, it breaks down as follows:

Top Tier
Law
Pardon
Taylor
Mooney

Second Tier - Veterans
Benson
Gaines
Turner / Falzon
Ash

Freshman
Nance
Kopp
Lathon
Young (RS?)

The roster becomes very different than what I expected. Imagine what happens if Nance or Kopp starts from day one and produces 8pts and 4 rebs per game and can defend. This team starts to look very good on paper.

You guys realize that it is ok to have multiple good players at one position. Its called depth. Other really good teams have this from time to time. You don't have to worry so much. It would be fun for Northwestern to experience this phenomenon. ;)

You guys realize that it is ok to have multiple good players at one position. Its called depth. Other really good teams have this from time to time. You don't have to worry so much. It would be fun for Northwestern to experience this phenomenon. ;)

seriously people have been calling for this for years. then there is a chance to get a 15+ point per game lead guy and people are saying don't forget about this freshmen who has never played a college game. funny bunch we call friends here.

seriously people have been calling for this for years. then there is a chance to get a 15+ point per game lead guy and people are saying don't forget about this freshmen who has never played a college game. funny bunch we call friends here.

You do not want to be forced to play your freshman. You want the freshman to force you to play them.

Depth is good, but makes it more difficult to recruit a one-year grad transfer.

On this southwest suburb stuff....

There is a current NU professor I went to school with who was raised on the North Side. He is dating a girl from the Southwest Suburbs and wrote a piece about how he discovered this land that no one knew existed. I find it humorous because I grew up out there.

The funniest bit is that he's a big time biker, rides thousands of miles a year, and he rides down to Evergreen Park -- boyhood home of the Unabomber -- every weekend.

There is no adult biking culture south of Roosevelt Road so everyone just assumes he lost his license in a DUI and so now needs to bike.

When he tells guys at the local watering hole that this is how he stays healthy they say, "sure buddy, let me buy you another." Literally no one believes him.

You do not want to be forced to play your freshman. You want the freshman to force you to play them.

Well said.

Why people like willycat insist on Lathon being the starting lead guard, with him not playing a game of college ball, is beyond me.

Get Mooney.

Well said.

Why people like willycat insist on Lathon being the starting lead guard, with him not playing a game of college ball, is beyond me.

Get Mooney.

I don't get a chance to say this much, but I'm with willycat on this. It would mean that Lathon is good, very good.

Reactions: willycat
Well said.

Get Mooney.
Ah, BMac also had not played in a college, until he started in his first one.

I don't get a chance to say this much, but I'm with willycat on this. It would mean that Lathon is good, very good.

My point is NU is strictly better off by having Mooney on the roster than not having him.

To Max’s point: you don’t want to be forced to play freshmen. If they’re the best option, that’s fantastic. But given that Haywood says it’s Mooney or bust, NU will be in that exact situation — having to start Lathon, ready or not — if they don’t land Mooney.

Ah, BMac also had not played in a college, until he started in his first one.

Second game of his career against Brown: 34 minutes, 2-10 shooting, 6 points, 4 turnovers

First game against Power 5 competition (GA Tech): 32 minutes, 1-10 shooting, 0-5 3pt, 2 points

Freshmen have growing pains. If NU is going to rebound from last season, it needs a strong start. Mooney would help tremendously with that. Ease Lathon into the starting role either later in the year, or as a sophomore.

Second game of his career against Brown: 34 minutes, 2-10 shooting, 6 points, 4 turnovers

First game against Power 5 competition (GA Tech): 32 minutes, 1-10 shooting, 0-5 3pt, 2 points

Freshmen have growing pains. If NU is going to rebound from last season, it needs a strong start. Mooney would help tremendously with that. Ease Lathon into the starting role either later in the year, or as a sophomore.

I can go either way in this debate, but that is a really solid use of stats. Well done.

I can go either way in this debate, but that is a really solid use of stats. Well done.
I will agree that having Mooney on the roster is a plus and it also let's NU suit up 14 scholarship players. Still wonder what BMac's stats were for the season and not just two selected games

My point is NU is strictly better off by having Mooney on the roster than not having him.

To Max’s point: you don’t want to be forced to play freshmen. If they’re the best option, that’s fantastic. But given that Haywood says it’s Mooney or bust, NU will be in that exact situation — having to start Lathon, ready or not — if they don’t land Mooney.

Agreed. Mooney would be a great get for Collins.

I really hope Mooney chooses NU, if for no other reason than proving the “what about Lathon” crowd wrong and, most importantly, keeping Haywood sane.

Reactions: ricko654321
I will agree that having Mooney on the roster is a plus and it also let's NU suit up 14 scholarship players. Still wonder what BMac's stats were for the season and not just two selected games

From the Google for you:

How many scholarships are allowed in NCAA basketball?

At the Division 1 level, 337 universities have basketball teams for men. There are 13 scholarships available per team to be divided among the players. A total of 4,381 scholarships are offered in Division 1 basketball for men.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1

www. google.com - you type in things like "How many scholarships per NCAA basketball team" or "Bryant McIntosh statistics" and you don't have to wonder what his stats were. I just give the information and I will leave the analysis for others:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3136749/bryant-mcintosh

From the Google for you:

How many scholarships are allowed in NCAA basketball?

At the Division 1 level, 337 universities have basketball teams for men. There are 13 scholarships available per team to be divided among the players. A total of 4,381 scholarships are offered in Division 1 basketball for men.
Oh gee, just thought that since NU has played with only 12 scholarship players for the past three season that maybe the NCAA would allow them to carry an extra.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Sobo started his freshman year.

I have no idea what that information contributes to this thread.

#sobo #neverforget

Sobo had a 111.3 offensive efficiency rating as a freshman, playing 87% of the minutes at PG.

BMac never had a season over 110.1 (his sophomore year).

Sobo was pretty decent as a freshman, then fell off the cliff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT