ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney week

Sobo had a 111.3 offensive efficiency rating as a freshman, playing 87% of the minutes at PG.

BMac never had a season over 110.1 (his sophomore year).

Sobo was pretty decent as a freshman, then fell off the cliff.

Only his shot....he kept the rest of his game.

He couldn't hit a free throw his sophomore year, a three pointer junior year and was increasingly marginalized by Collins.

But I tell you what, if I could have his money when he's my age, I'd throw mine away. He's going to do fabulously well.

Mr. Mooney graduates tomorrow, I believe. Congratulations to the young man, and I hope he’s able to step back from the recruiting stuff for a day to take it all in.

I obviously think NU offers the best option for him, both on the court (Cats could be a darkhorse conference contender with him) and off it (close to home, proximity to a vibrant big city, high-value degree). But I hope he does what’s right for him.

He couldn't hit a free throw his sophomore year, a three pointer junior year and was increasingly marginalized by Collins.

But I tell you what, if I could have his money when he's my age, I'd throw mine away. He's going to do fabulously well.
Wow, how much did NU pay him? Did you also watch him try to play defense?

It's not a bad thing, Willy, to express fondness for a former player and fellow alum. Wishing a young man well is not an idiotic gesture.

But using that player to make an unfounded subtle dig at the current coach is pretty bad form.

I am convinced that any thread that gains traction will end up in Carmody v. Collins. The few that don't end up with posters bitching about each others prior posts. Sad!

Anytime someone decides to compare Sobo to BMac, you're probably going to end up with some kind of discussion...because I can't think of a bigger headscratcher.

Reactions: mikewebb68
A Texas Tech Hoops Fan twitter account has Mooney quoted as saying he will “hopefully make a decision this weekend.”

Read into that what you will.

A Texas Tech Hoops Fan twitter account has Mooney quoted as saying he will “hopefully make a decision this weekend.”

Read into that what you will.

He had already narrowed his list to NU, Creighton, and TTU. If there’s anything to read it’s “I’ve visited my finalists and hope to decide soon.”

I am convinced that any thread that gains traction will end up in Carmody v. Collins. The few that don't end up with posters bitching about each others prior posts. Sad!
Especially absurd when you consider O’Neill was the best of the bunch. </s>

Reactions: IGNORE2

What was Mac last year? He dived off the same cliff!

What was Mac last year? He dived off the same cliff!
Was injured most of the season, and his play did not nearly decline as far as Sobo's. So comprehensively incorrect as usual, but thanks for playing as always!

To think you once had a question that was actually featured on BTN; and you're now reduced to takjng pot shots at a record-breaking PG in favor of a player who averages a couple of poinrs a game. How the mighty have fallen!

Last edited:
Looks like Mooney isn't making a decision this weekend. But he did give away some shoes.

Sobo had a 111.3 offensive efficiency rating as a freshman, playing 87% of the minutes at PG.

BMac never had a season over 110.1 (his sophomore year).

Sobo was pretty decent as a freshman, then fell off the cliff.

Not quite.

Sobo's #s for his soph campaign were pretty similar to his frosh year.

Point and assist totals a little up and FG% a little down (still shot .384 from the field which is around where BMac shot this past season).

Where Sobo fell off was during his JR season, but rebounded nicely his SR year (albeit with less playing time).

Suddenly it's Collins' fault that Sobo couldn't hardly dribble the ball up the court as an upperclassmen? Marginalized!? C'mon...

Seem to recall CC turning to Sobo when other teams started to use the press late in games.

BMac was the overall more talented PG (by a good measure), but his biggest flaw was his propensity to turn the ball over at crucial moments.

Sobo avg'd around 1.6 TO's per game his first 3 seasons; BMac avg'd about 2.6 TO's per game during his first 3 years (which is also what he avg'd this past season).

Was injured most of the season, and his play did not nearly decline as far as Sobo's. So comprehensively incorrect as usual, but thanks for playing as always!

Scoring efficiency-wise, BMac's best 2 seasons were his first 2.

His FG% dropped from .423 his SO year to .404 his JR yr (and then to .388 his last season).

And before BMac missed a game due to injury (against NEB), he had some bad shooting games - Loyola (1st game of the season), TTech, Sacred Heart, UI, PU, Chi ST, DePaul and Okla.

Last edited:
Hey, it doesn’t really matter because Juice Thompson was better than both of them.

(ducks)

Not even close. BMac was the straw that stirred the drink, and we we nothing without him. Shurna was the straw that stirred the drink on those other teams....including the season following Juice’s senior year.

Reactions: No Chores
Sobo I avg'd around 1.6 TO's per game his first 3 seasons; BMac avg'd about 2.6 TO's per game during his first 3 years (which is also what he avg'd this past season).

His FG% dropped from .423 his SO year to .404 his JR yr (and then to .388 his last season).

And before BMac missed a game due to injury (against NEB), he had some bad shooting games - Loyola (1st game of the season), TTech, Sacred Heart, UI, PU, Chi ST, DePaul and Okla.

Kat, please post Sobo’s and BMac’s career TOs per minute as well as Assists per minute.

Also, can you add career PPG and throw in career FT% while you’re at it?

Not quite.

Point and assist totals a little up and FG% a little down (still shot .384 from the field which is around where BMac shot this past season).

Where Sobo fell off was during his JR season, but rebounded nicely his SR year (albeit with less playing time).

Seem to recall CC turning to Sobo when other teams started to use the press late in games.

BMac was the overall more talented PG (by a good measure), but his biggest flaw was his propensity to turn the ball over at crucial moments.

Sobo avg'd around 1.6 TO's per game his first 3 seasons; BMac avg'd about 2.6 TO's per game during his first 3 years (which is also what he avg'd this past season).

On the defensive end, something that is never talked about with B Mac, he got better and better his first three years. He got stronger and his quickness and athleticism allowed him to play man. That was not in the cards with Sobo who did not have the same physical gifts.

I do remember CCC subbing in Sobo in tight game situations to get the ball up the floor. had forgotten about that.

To think you once had a question that was actually featured on BTN; and you're now reduced to takjng pot shots at a record-breaking PG in favor of a player who averages a couple of poinrs a game. How the mighty have fallen!
Dang!

Not quite.

When did NU play Loyola last season? Oh, you mean that "secret" scrimmage, where no official score was released. Quite a stretch in an attempt to back up your argument.

The blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while

When did NU play Loyola last season? Oh, you mean that "secret" scrimmage, where no official score was released. Quite a stretch in an attempt to back up your argument.

Our first game of the season was Loyola (MD)...

MjAxMi05NTJjOWU1MWIxYWZjNzFm.png

On the defensive end, something that is never talked about with B Mac, he got better and better his first three years. He got stronger and his quickness and athleticism allowed him to play man. That was not in the cards with Sobo who did not have the same physical gifts.

I do remember CCC subbing in Sobo in tight game situations to get the ball up the floor. had forgotten about that.
No one could beat Sobo at the bottom of the 1-3-1!

Reactions: mikewebb68
Let's bring this back to where it should be, TC was off a little bit: Show me the Mooney!!

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT