ADVERTISEMENT

Muck Fichigan!

I hope our Purple canine compadres open a can of whoopass on the Walmart Wolverines.

It’s too bad an asteroid didn’t strike the Rose Bowl yesterday.
The Rose Bowl was a microcosm of the current state of D1 football. I don’t know why anyone’s upset. This is what you all wanted.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Did anyone notice ESPN’s “The New SEC Coming in 2024” graphic that popped up periodically on the score line? (I did *not* notice it during the late game, which I didn’t watch as closely.)

Bama - lost!
Texas - lost!

Hahahahahahaha.

I’m not with the crowd on this one. I want the old Big Ten (not the monstrous creature the conference is to become) to produce the national champion.

True, Michigan fans would become even more insufferable, but we all know the Wolverines haven’t been regular contenders for many decades. Let them gloat while we chuckle.

They’ve beaten Ped State, Ohio State and Alabama all since the “cheating “ scandal broke. I think it’s safe to say the ”cheating” didn’t any difference. They are a good team and Michigan is a great school in the BIG. I’m pulling for them for sure.
Not the point! It makes it even more abhorrent that they cheated, (and yes it’s cheating and not finger quote “cheating” as you say) because they didn’t need to. One could see MSU or Nebraska doing this but why did Michigan pay Conor Stalions to do this.

I would rather see Michigan win than to listen to ESPN and Paul Finebaum talk about the greatness of the SEC. Harbaugh has won every where he has gone. He built a team that was more physical than the jewel of the SEC.

They’ve beaten Ped State, Ohio State and Alabama all since the “cheating “ scandal broke. I think it’s safe to say the ”cheating” didn’t make any difference. They are a good team and Michigan is a great school in the BIG. I’m pulling for them for sure.
You can't say the cheating did not help them get where they are today. We will never know but they broke the rules and deserve to have their results be scarred. The cheating has gone on for more than just this year. This impacts recruiting and players potentially staying. If you don't believe cheating gives you an advantage then why do it.

They’ve beaten Ped State, Ohio State and Alabama all since the “cheating “ scandal broke. I think it’s safe to say the ”cheating” didn’t make any difference. They are a good team and Michigan is a great school in the BIG. I’m pulling for them for sure.
In my opinion Michigan should no longer have a football program due to their egregious cheating. Harbaugh should not have a job.

Reactions: phatcat
You can't say the cheating did not help them get where they are today. We will never know but they broke the rules and deserve to have their results be scarred. The cheating has gone on for more than just this year. This impacts recruiting and players potentially staying. If you don't believe cheating gives you an advantage then why do it.
My thoughts on this scandal are based on two beliefs about college football:

1. There are multiple tiers in college football. Programs like Michigan and Alabama and the teams that are competing for spots in the CFP are in one tier. Teams like Northwestern are just in a different tier. Some teams can occasionally dance back and forth between the tiers like a Washington or a TCU, but Northwestern is simply not built to ever really get into that top tier. So, to some extent, I don't really care what those top tier teams do to beat up on each other. While we do play some of these teams, I just don't think we are in a position in college football in 2024 where Northwestern would ever beat any of these teams in a best of 4 series. I realize we don't play best of 4 series in football, but my point is that if we beat a Michigan or OSU in this current generation, it will be a huge and very unique upset. I've come to terms with that.

2. I am in the camp where I think all of these major programs bend the rules to compete as much as possible. I think what Michigan did was dumb and how they executed it was really dumb, but there is no way I believe Michigan is the only one with scouts at opponent's games trying to steal signs. Why do so many coaches cover their mouths when they are talking into their headsets on the sideline? They know someone is always watching and remembering. It's a little scummy, but it's hardly the worst thing in the world. If Ped State still has a football program, then it's hard to get too worked up over this "scandal".

Bonus belief: I care very little about the National Champion in college football, but since someone has to win it, it might as well be a team I have some rooting interest in. Having sent a kid to UM, I have allowed myself to support one of the evil superpowers vicariously to see how the other half lives. I root for Northwestern in college sports and Cincinnati teams in pro sports. Don't deny me this one chance to actually see what it feels like to have your team win a championship. (OK... I did get to enjoy the Reds win the WS in 1990.... 1990!!)

I would normally root for the "Big Ten" team for conference prestige, but I just can't root for this Michigan team knowing all the irregularities that have gone on recently:
(1)Michigan had a Head Coach lie about illegal recruiting during the COVID dead period.
(2) Had a rogue assistant orchestrate a vast operation to record future opponents in violation against NCAA rules about in-person scouting and recording of future opponents for almost 3 years.
(3) Had an assistant coach engaged in a cover-up effort including attempting to destroy computer evidence of the illegal sign stealing operation and "coaching" players on what to say to investigators.

Years ago, Ohio State was allowed to play while under investigation for not self-reporting and disciplining a handful of players who sold memorabilia for tattoos. After the investigation was complete in 2011, State had vacate all their wins from 2010, a Sugar Bowl title, and a Big Ten Co-Championship. I think you need to discount the possibility that Michigan may end up vacating victories and championships from recent seasons. If I were going root for conference pride, at least Washington will be in the conference next year and still have its wins and achievements in the record books.

. I think you need to discount the possibility that Michigan may end up vacating victories and championships from recent seasons.
I don't know if this is what you meant, but you are correct. Nothing will happen to them. The NCAA is toothless compared to 2010

I don't know if this is what you meant, but you are correct. Nothing will happen to them. The NCAA is toothless compared to 2010
The point I'm making or trying to make is that some people in the Big Ten world are rooting for Michigan ostensibly because it will make the conference look good to have a national champion, but it may not make sense if it ends up vacated. The NCAA has it's issues, including the slowness of its investigations, but it still does (eventually) levy its determinations. More recently, Tennessee had to vacate all victories from 2019 and 2020, including a Gator Bowl victory.

The point I'm making or trying to make is that some people in the Big Ten world are rooting for Michigan ostensibly because it will make the conference look good to have a national champion, but it may not make sense if it ends up vacated. The NCAA has it's issues, including the slowness of its investigations, but it still does (eventually) levy its determinations. More recently, Tennessee had to vacate all victories from 2019 and 2020, including a Gator Bowl victory.
And no one really cares or remembers. They just remember the win. The down the road vacating means next to nothing.

OVC, I'll bet you a beer nothing happens (and I loathe MichiGag)

How is the NCAA supposed to vacate a championship it doesn’t organize or sanction? The college football playoff is contracted and organized by the power conferences and the TV networks, the NCAA isn’t even a party to it.

It was interesting listening to Izzo tonight. This came up - asked if he would watch, who he would support. One of the crowd mentioned Washington to the B1G next year and Izzo said he’s rooting for the B1G

That’s how Izzo respectfully said he’s rooting for Washington.

Reactions: rmndcat and zanycat
It was interesting listening to Izzo tonight. This came up - asked if he would watch, who he would support. One of the crowd mentioned Washington to the B1G next year and Izzo said he’s rooting for the B1G

That’s how Izzo respectfully said he’s rooting for Washington.
Izzo is Michigan State true. He would not cheer for the Wolverines under any circumstance. This is neither surprising nor big news

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT