ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy to Northeastern

Whoa, I certainly hope it's because we stopped recruiting him. Otherwise, this is Carmody territory.

Last time I checked NU has 2 4-star players at 6'8"-6'9" who are frosh and sophomore in Aaron Falzon and Rapolas and a player with a developing and improving skill set who makes game changing plays in Gavin Skelly so I think we are okay with 6'8"-6'9" stretch 4 players. Murphy chose Northeastern then he does not appear to have a power 5 conference skill set. NU appears from all reports to be recruiting a PG and a SG who can be a playmaker and hopefully create his shot. Just an opinion but I don't think Northeastern has had much of an impact on the college bball scene since Reggie Lewis in the mid-1980s.

I wish Murphy a successful college career. We'll be fine without him.

I thought he was Plan B. Wonder if we can talk Turner into returning...jk...kinda...
FWIW, Fitz just lost a punter from California to Columbia. Sort of like losing a Center in hoops to William & Mary.....

The punter you reference was not offered a scholarship to NU...to characterize Fitz losing him to Columbia is absurd.

Last time I checked NU has 2 4-star players at 6'8"-6'9" who are frosh and sophomore in Aaron Falzon and Rapolas and a player with a developing and improving skill set who makes game changing plays in Gavin Skelly so I think we are okay with 6'8"-6'9" stretch 4 players. Murphy chose Northeastern then he does not appear to have a power 5 conference skill set. NU appears from all reports to be recruiting a PG and a SG who can be a playmaker and hopefully create his shot. Just an opinion but I don't think Northeastern has had much of an impact on the college bball scene since Reggie Lewis in the mid-1980s.

You are right - they won't be eligible for free agency for a long time. Let's forget about recruiting. Oh, wait, this is college. They all leave - and maybe, if they are overachieving 4 stars, they will leave early. Maybe, it would be wise to recruit strong every year and not worry about the existing roster. Kinda like taking a QB in every class???

You are right - they won't be eligible for free agency for a long time. Let's forget about recruiting. Oh, wait, this is college. They all leave - and maybe, if they are overachieving 4 stars, they will leave early. Maybe, it would be wise to recruit strong every year and not worry about the existing roster. Kinda like taking a QB in every class???

Maybe I missed something...so far isn't NU recruiting nothing but 4*s this year? None have signed, but what evidence do you have that Collins and crew aren't trying?

Maybe I missed something...so far isn't NU recruiting nothing but 4*s this year? None have signed, but what evidence do you have that Collins and crew aren't trying?

Not only that, but 4-star recruits look at who's on the depth chart and they don't want to sit on the bench because all of them think they're going in the NBA Lottery after a year.

This is a lot of chatter over a player who has been reported to have a lot of high-major offers but eventually picked Northeastern. Good luck to him there, but nothing here suggests that Collins deserves an indictment. Player evaluations are fluid. Move on to the next guy.

Reactions: NJCat
Too funny that the naysayer can't figure out that Collins and his staff recruit hard every year and have recruited harder than any other NU basketball coach in the past 30 plus years. Taking cluelessness to a new level.

When you are 6'0" and you become the Illinois High School Player of the Year, a McDonald's All American, a starter at Duke, win national championships as a player and a coach, win multiple Gold Medals as the chief assistant to Coach K, winning recruiting battles for the top player in the nation and totally reshape a roster with 1-3 Big 10 level players into a team with 9-10 Big 10 level players in three recruiting years, I think reasonable people would say that Collins has never done anything half speed unlike the prior regime whose recruiting skills were way below par to say it politely. Laughable that some can not see that.

Reactions: lunker35
When you are 6'0" and you become the Illinois High School Player of the Year, a McDonald's All American, a starter at Duke, win national championships as a player and a coach, win multiple Gold Medals as the chief assistant to Coach K, winning recruiting battles for the top player in the nation and totally reshape a roster with 1-3 Big 10 level players into a team with 9-10 Big 10 level players in three recruiting years, I think reasonable people would say that Collins has never done anything half speed unlike the prior regime whose recruiting skills were way below par to say it politely. Laughable that some can not see that.

Amen. I doubt Collins does anything half-assed. He is one competitive SOB.

No, I don't think they are all 4 stars, but that doesn't bother me at all. My point was who is on the roster today doesn't negate the need to reload each year. And I think they are trying, quite hard too. I'm have been concerned that the missing is an indication that that the new coach smell has worn off and we are sinking back into NU mediocrity.

Too funny that the naysayer can't figure out that Collins and his staff recruit hard every year and have recruited harder than any other NU basketball coach in the past 30 plus years. Taking cluelessness to a new level.

Really? Harder than any coach in the last 30 hours years? Source or facts please. You clearly are not Medill. Did you even go to NU?

Proven 9-10 B1G players: Mac, Law preinjury

Potential: Pardon (had one big game), RI (untested frosh), Benson (see RI), Brown (lightly recruited, any B1G offers?), Falzon (underwhelmingly frosh season)

So far wouldn't start elsewhere but Rutgers: Lumpkin, Tap, Lindsey, Skelly, Ash, walk ons

Explain your 9-10 guys please. You are why people here think I'm anti CCC. You say remarkably stupid things and I feel compelled to illustrate your ignorance and it comes off as anti CCC.

I hope pardon and Falzon develop. I hope the three new guys produce at least two starters at NU, I really want to see Lindsey turn a corner and Law become the guy we all hoped for. And I think CCC has brought in the best amount of talent since O'Neill (less than 30 years, btw..)

But there is no proof yet. There are no proven 9-10 B1G guys. Lots of potential and too much hype by a bunch of blowhards. And now the cupboard is looking a bit bare for the next class.

Reactions: Inovacat

I think that "some" is only one poster at this point. I have him on Ignore, and reading this board has become much more pleasurable because of it. Now if I could only put Willycat on "anti-whine"....

I think that "some" is only one poster at this point. I have him on Ignore, and reading this board has become much more pleasurable because of it. Now if I could only put Willycat on "anti-whine"....

Much better board since Mike put me on ignore. Only time he posts is to complain about me. So now, he rarely posts here :)

So where are the Cats RE:recruiting 8/15?
2 spots available (1st come) for Eastern, Flagg, Nwora & Garza???
Bueller?....Bueller?.....anyone?....anyone?......

So where are the Cats RE:recruiting 8/15?
2 spots available (1st come) for Eastern, Flagg, Nwora & Garza???
Bueller?....Bueller?.....anyone?....anyone?......

Yes, there are at most 2 spots available. And honestly, I doubt anyone has any real idea who is likely to commit. Coaches can't talk about it and recruiting services are just guessing.

Proven 9-10 B1G players: Mac, Law preinjury

Potential: Pardon (had one big game), RI (untested frosh), Benson (see RI), Brown (lightly recruited, any B1G offers?), Falzon (underwhelmingly frosh season)

So far wouldn't start elsewhere but Rutgers: Lumpkin, Tap, Lindsey, Skelly, Ash, walk ons

Explain your 9-10 guys please. You are why people here think I'm anti CCC. You say remarkably stupid things and I feel compelled to illustrate your ignorance and it comes off as anti CCC.

I hope pardon and Falzon develop. I hope the three new guys produce at least two starters at NU, I really want to see Lindsey turn a corner and Law become the guy we all hoped for. And I think CCC has brought in the best amount of talent since O'Neill (less than 30 years, btw..)

But there is no proof yet. There are no proven 9-10 B1G guys. Lots of potential and too much hype by a bunch of blowhards. And now the cupboard is looking a bit bare for the next class.
Pardon had one big game yes but he also showed some real soft hands and great athleticism. His things he needed to improve on can all be taught with time it's not like he was athletic enough to play at most schools just not developed enough yet so I'd give him more potential then you did. I'd also falzon his percentage might not have showed it (forgot what it is and don't care to look it up) but his shooting form was so smooth that's gonna start falling really well by the time he's gone here and I'm anxious to see what a year in the weight room will to for his game I think that will give me much more ability to drive and finish at the rim and his game needed that. We saw glimpses of it during the season and he pulled down some boards. I again say he has more potential then (underwhelming freshman season). Don't look at stats look at what they need to improve and what they're currently showing. Lindsey also has shown so much potential but is just so inconsistent and hasn't put it together (not calling him our savior or anything but he could be really could but it's a big if he plays to that potential) Skelly that amount that guy has improved from his time here skill wise is crazy he developed a 3 shot that you have to at least be aware of his passing is great he hustles like crazy. He's also pretty athletic. Not saying he's a great big ten player yet or will be but this guy seems to be a workhorse and never underestimate what a killer work ethic can to for a player. And please Minnesota would take the bottom of our team they're depleted . One thing I gotta say tho is Collins really has recruited a lot more athletic guys on northwestern and I mean throughout the team they're all just more athletic. If I were you I'd be catitously optimistic about the current team and slightly concerned about recruiting but not horribly cuz Collins hasn't in past classes given us reason to doubt him yet.

Pardon had one big game yes but he also showed some real soft hands and great athleticism. His things he needed to improve on can all be taught with time it's not like he was athletic enough to play at most schools just not developed enough yet so I'd give him more potential then you did. I'd also falzon his percentage might not have showed it (forgot what it is and don't care to look it up) but his shooting form was so smooth that's gonna start falling really well by the time he's gone here and I'm anxious to see what a year in the weight room will to for his game I think that will give me much more ability to drive and finish at the rim and his game needed that. We saw glimpses of it during the season and he pulled down some boards. I again say he has more potential then (underwhelming freshman season). Don't look at stats look at what they need to improve and what they're currently showing. Lindsey also has shown so much potential but is just so inconsistent and hasn't put it together (not calling him our savior or anything but he could be really could but it's a big if he plays to that potential) Skelly that amount that guy has improved from his time here skill wise is crazy he developed a 3 shot that you have to at least be aware of his passing is great he hustles like crazy. He's also pretty athletic. Not saying he's a great big ten player yet or will be but this guy seems to be a workhorse and never underestimate what a killer work ethic can to for a player. And please Minnesota would take the bottom of our team they're depleted . One thing I gotta say tho is Collins really has recruited a lot more athletic guys on northwestern and I mean throughout the team they're all just more athletic. If I were you I'd be catitously optimistic about the current team and slightly concerned about recruiting but not horribly cuz Collins hasn't in past classes given us reason to doubt him yet.
How about Vassar? Ash so far? Lindsey so far? CCC has had hits and has had misses. But he always seems to land a well regarded recruit. If we see that in 2017 plus an 'under the radar' special, I'm good. But of the remaining studs, nothing looking very promising...

I didn't grade potential - so you giving more potential is simply another swipe at me.

Falzon - I said has potential and noted a simple fact. Another swipe - just for stating a simple fact.

By my math, perhaps you added 2 to the existing 2, falling well short of the 9-10 cited by walker.

I'm am very excited by the roster, but agree with others that we are one year away from seeing an impact. Anything better or near last year in the upcoming season will be a bonus in my book.. Thereafter, I'm looking for NCAA talk again.

I also agree CCC really took recruiting upward, in part due to new, young, fresh coach mantra. I'm concerned that the new coach smell has worn off, not much to see in the actual results that matter (standing, B1G tourney, post season) and this class might be an indicator of a return to the hunt for hidden gems. I hope we land Eastern, Flagg, etc. But I see a few of those lightly recruited players showing up on the offer boards. That makes me nervous.

Perfect world, they miss on 2017 stars, hold the schollies but have crazy breakthrough season. CCC lands a few stars for 2018 plus a transfer or two building off an amazing season and new renovations. Plus, I get to spend the next 6 months dragging up old posts and really get under the skin of those very swell posters that love to say unkind things to me. A board without Va, yesterday, etc - that is a nice looking board....

How about Vassar? Ash so far? Lindsey so far? CCC has had hits and has had misses. But he always seems to land a well regarded recruit. If we see that in 2017 plus an 'under the radar' special, I'm good. But of the remaining studs, nothing looking very promising...

I didn't grade potential - so you giving more potential is simply another swipe at me.

Falzon - I said has potential and noted a simple fact. Another swipe - just for stating a simple fact.

By my math, perhaps you added 2 to the existing 2, falling well short of the 9-10 cited by walker.

I'm am very excited by the roster, but agree with others that we are one year away from seeing an impact. Anything better or near last year in the upcoming season will be a bonus in my book.. Thereafter, I'm looking for NCAA talk again.

I also agree CCC really took recruiting upward, in part due to new, young, fresh coach mantra. I'm concerned that the new coach smell has worn off, not much to see in the actual results that matter (standing, B1G tourney, post season) and this class might be an indicator of a return to the hunt for hidden gems. I hope we land Eastern, Flagg, etc. But I see a few of those lightly recruited players showing up on the offer boards. That makes me nervous.

Perfect world, they miss on 2017 stars, hold the schollies but have crazy breakthrough season. CCC lands a few stars for 2018 plus a transfer or two building off an amazing season and new renovations. Plus, I get to spend the next 6 months dragging up old posts and really get under the skin of those very swell posters that love to say unkind things to me. A board without Va, yesterday, etc - that is a nice looking board....
I'm sorry if you took that as me taking swipes at you but I honestly wasn't attempting to attack you. I'm not into that whole personal attacking and hating on certain posters that so many people here do its just obnoxious lets just talk basketball. But seriously I apologize if it came out that way. I was just saying that two players had more potential then "had one big game" and "underwhelmingly frosh year" and also to state Lindsey tho he hasn't achieved it yet has certainly shown potential. And Oh I think we are at least a year away as well. Also wouldn't a perfect world be us getting like Gaines and eastern then having a break through season with some stars from 2018? ;p

I'm sorry if you took that as me taking swipes at you but I honestly wasn't attempting to attack you. I'm not into that whole personal attacking and hating on certain posters that so many people here do its just obnoxious lets just talk basketball. But seriously I apologize if it came out that way. I was just saying that two players had more potential then "had one big game" and "underwhelmingly frosh year" and also to state Lindsey tho he hasn't achieved it yet has certainly shown potential. And Oh I think we are at least a year away as well. Also wouldn't a perfect world be us getting like Gaines and eastern then having a break through season with some stars from 2018? ;p

This is the problem. Any disagreement is considered a personal attack.

Coach, is that you?

Reactions: IGNORE2
This is the problem. Any disagreement is considered a personal attack.

Not at all. As a retired lawyer, I'm quite used to arguing without personal affronts. But if you have been reading this Board long enough, which I think you have, then you know what I am talking about.

Sorry Holland - I thought I had recalled you to be among those quick to step on me. No offense taken and hopefully none felt towards you. All I really want to do around here is talk about NU fball and bball stuff. Although, I admittedly have a new found affection for certain posters here ;)

I think Eastern would be the greatest get. Fills an upcoming urgent need, could also immediately fit as a backup PG and give Mac some rest time. Takes pressure off Ash, Brown, Lindsey to rise up. Let's CCC play Law wherever best and take his time getting back into the game. I cannot think of a better get. But I don't think it will happen.

Per reports, Collins offered another 6'5" 2017 player today. He is really resting on his laurels.

9-10 Big 10 players means athletes who have the skills to play on a Big 10 level. Winning at a power conference school means you need to get the most and best athletes. As for 9-10 Big 10 players that means highly rated players who have the basketball athleticism to compete against Big 10 competition: 1. McIntosh, 2. Law, 3. Falzon are the three returning starters who have the skills. 4. Pardon and 5. Lindsey have the raw skills of other Big 10 level players. Benson, Brown and Rapolas were highly touted recruits with Power Conference offers. Skelly has shown a playmaking ability of a Big 10 level player. That is nine players. Thanks for playing!

Reactions: lunker35
Per reports, Collins offered another 6'5" 2017 player today. He is really resting on his laurels.

9-10 Big 10 players means athletes who have the skills to play on a Big 10 level. Winning at a power conference school means you need to get the most and best athletes. As for 9-10 Big 10 players that means highly rated players who have the basketball athleticism to compete against Big 10 competition: 1. McIntosh, 2. Law, 3. Falzon are the three returning starters who have the skills. 4. Pardon and 5. Lindsey have the raw skills of other Big 10 level players. Benson, Brown and Rapolas were highly touted recruits with Power Conference offers. Skelly has shown a playmaking ability of a Big 10 level player. That is nine players. Thanks for playing!

It's pretty funny to suggest that a team that won 8 Big 10 games last year has only 4 returning "Big 10 players".....Collins must be a hell of a coach to win with non-Big 10 talent!

Fitzphile is right on his thinking. 8 Big 10 wins without your most athletic player. A player in Vic Law who finished his freshman year very strong. A player who can guard 6'5"-6'8" players well. Who hurt the Cats the most last season? Peter Jok, Denzel Valentine, Marc Loving, Zac Irvin, Troy Williams, etc.

No, thank you for playing. Very responsive, and illustrative of your bball knowledge. Now, sit back, read, watch and learn a little more. Then pull back up to the big boy table. You and wrassler are the only ones that see 9-10 B1G players today. That's it. Everyone else including the jaded pollyannas acknowledge a few and a lot of potential.

Next.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT