ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy to Northeastern

I would definitely call that an erroneous statement. We've outplayed preseason predictions every season...

Which ones last year? I recall beating who we were supposed to beat. No signatures wins, no horrible losses. Cupcake schedule that left us out of the post season.

NU won 5 or 6 Big 10 wins in Year 1, 6 in Year 2 and 8 in Year 3, Signature wins last season: Wisconsin and at Va Tech. There have been some misses this season to UW from a kid from Minn. and the Jordan Goodwin who committed to St Louis shortly after his AAU coach was hired as an assistant coach. There are still many options out there. No time to panic but those BC lovers who have no clue about what big time recruiting is will say the sky is falling because we never recruited on a power conference level in his 13 years here. As for the NIT, when there are numerous upsets of the regular season champions of the smaller conference there are less at large bids to the NIT. Oh well, there are those who won't let facts get in the way of their slanted opinions.

NU won 5 or 6 Big 10 wins in Year 1, 6 in Year 2 and 8 in Year 3, Signature wins last season: Wisconsin and at Va Tech. There have been some misses this season to UW from a kid from Minn. and the Jordan Goodwin who committed to St Louis shortly after his AAU coach was hired as an assistant coach. There are still many options out there. No time to panic but those BC lovers who have no clue about what big time recruiting is will say the sky is falling because we never recruited on a power conference level in his 13 years here. As for the NIT, when there are numerous upsets of the regular season champions of the smaller conference there are less at large bids to the NIT. Oh well, there are those who won't let facts get in the way of their slanted opinions.

Not a BC lover. If the old site had archives, you would see towards the end I was on the fence leaning towards a change. I didn't like how it was handled, but had no problem with the concept. I have said that outside an impossible signing like Shaka, I really like the CCC hire. Chicago roots, blue chip pedigree and NBA and TV dad. Really liked it from day one. Not worship, not godlike, but a really good hire.

But you keep imagining me however you want.

You've inferred "panic". I think the word that was mocked in April was "concern". To the extent that I think about NU hoops recruiting, my current state of mind is "concerned".

For what it's worth, Cobb's class of one is the only time in the Rivals database where NU did not have a recruit prior to August 22. (The database seems reliable back to, say, class of 2006, which included a July commitment from Coble and an August commitment from Jeff Ryan.) Cobb, of course, is among the most "big time" recruits prior to CCC, so maybe the early commit dates of NU's best all time players (Juice and Shurna are both listed as May commits, though Crawford was September) simply reflects their under-the-radarness - their lack of "big time" pedigree, that is.

As I've stated elsewhere, I would much prefer a recruit in the books now. I also think the failure to land a recruit in this cycle (I'm not expecting that will happen, but it has been raised by others as an acceptable strategy if NU fails on the A- and A.2-list) would reflect poorly on the program and would strike a blow.

As for the NIT miss last year, "you are what your [result] says you are". There is no note next to the 2015-16 record that says "yeah, but High Point lost in its conference tourney and, in a normal year, NU would have probably hosted a game in the NIT". There's just a kid like Jordan Nwora pondering whether to play for a program with a first-class education and four straight Marches home, or one with better results.

I hope he chooses the education and the new arena and the coach whose mentor just won gold again. But I'm simply 'concerned' that nobody in this cycle has.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
As for the NIT miss last year, "you are what your [result] says you are". There is no note next to the 2015-16 record that says "yeah, but High Point lost in its conference tourney and, in a normal year, NU would have probably hosted a game in the NIT".

Even if that note was there, it wouldn't be true. NU was nowhere close to the NIT last year, conference tourney upsets or not.

I agree with 5th year guys, but I think middle of the education guys could be at least C+. By and large, you know what you are getting and you are only buying for a couple of years. I think White would be a good get if he didn't count against this coming year. Maybe with this late announcement, he will take a year at JUCO and head our way in 2017. I know, snowball chance in hell....

On the positive side, the number of transfers grows each year - by a bunch. I don't think it is unrealistic to think we may have a shot. Maybe Goodwin or Moore will have a change of heart after a year...
Generally the mid ed transfers are transferring for a reason. So you have to wait for a year and ...Occasionally it might work out but not always.

Find them yourself.

And most people on this board said pretty much the same thing (if you want to take the time to look back).

Or I could find Elvis, Jerry Garcia, the Lochnest Monster or Bigfoot - any of these searches would be a great waste of time. If you state a 'fact,' cite your sources - at least upon request. C'mon - you have NU parchment. You have to had learned this model at some point.

You've inferred "panic". I think the word that was mocked in April was "concern". To the extent that I think about NU hoops recruiting, my current state of mind is "concerned".

For what it's worth, Cobb's class of one is the only time in the Rivals database where NU did not have a recruit prior to August 22. (The database seems reliable back to, say, class of 2006, which included a July commitment from Coble and an August commitment from Jeff Ryan.) Cobb, of course, is among the most "big time" recruits prior to CCC, so maybe the early commit dates of NU's best all time players (Juice and Shurna are both listed as May commits, though Crawford was September) simply reflects their under-the-radarness - their lack of "big time" pedigree, that is.

As I've stated elsewhere, I would much prefer a recruit in the books now. I also think the failure to land a recruit in this cycle (I'm not expecting that will happen, but it has been raised by others as an acceptable strategy if NU fails on the A- and A.2-list) would reflect poorly on the program and would strike a blow.

As for the NIT miss last year, "you are what your [result] says you are". There is no note next to the 2015-16 record that says "yeah, but High Point lost in its conference tourney and, in a normal year, NU would have probably hosted a game in the NIT". There's just a kid like Jordan Nwora pondering whether to play for a program with a first-class education and four straight Marches home, or one with better results.

I hope he chooses the education and the new arena and the coach whose mentor just won gold again. But I'm simply 'concerned' that nobody in this cycle has.

Generally the mid ed transfers are transferring for a reason. So you have to wait for a year and ...Occasionally it might work out but not always.

320 - I had not contemplated the appearance and impact of a zero recruit class. But I admit that it is a fair argument. I suppose if we bring in a single recruit off the Plan C, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But also not convinced it would be any more impressive. And we have seen one scholarship clog up the system already.

I think I will stick with transfers if we don't land an A lister. But I now agree that completely sitting on the schollies to use in 2018 would be a bad idea.

hdhtr - Agreed, but if we brought in almost any player other than a top rated player, they will redshirt in year one absent a string of injuries. And transfers only tie up the schollie three years - not 4 or 5 like a frosh. I would think one 5th year transfer and one mid ed transfer would be my fallback position en lieu of a C or D list recruit.

Last edited:
Or I could find Elvis, Jerry Garcia, the Lochnest Monster or Bigfoot - any of these searches would be a great waste of time. If you state a 'fact,' cite your sources - at least upon request. C'mon - you have NU parchment. You have to had learned this model at some point.

It's easy. Type in a Google search for preseason predictions of NU hoops last season and let me know when you find one where are expectations were the same or above of where we finished.

Me, I'm not going to waste time looking something up that YOU want proven. Disprove me, or not. I don't honestly care.

It's easy. Type in a Google search for preseason predictions of NU hoops last season and let me know when you find one where are expectations were the same or above of where we finished.

Me, I'm not going to waste time looking something up that YOU want proven. Disprove me, or not. I don't honestly care.

If its easy, then the OP can cite his authority. I can also google bigfoot location, etc. Same waste of time.

But, if there is no authority to cite, ok. Simply his opinion. My opinion is that we performed as expected last year - maybe a game or two better, maybe not. Since citing authority for such statements is unnecessary - I'll leave it at that.

But we have digressed from the topic under discussion so that we could banter about whose responsibility it is to back up their statements. We disagree. Let's move on.

Got anything to say about the status or future of the 2017 schollies? Care to back up walker's statements above when he called for people to support him? Or do you simply want to intellectually joust with me? If so, let's pick something more engaging.

To back up Virginia Wildcat, the BTN.com website had NU predicted for 10th place which traditionally is 6 or 7 win territory. So 8-10 exceeds predictions particularly when you lose your most athletic player. But don't let facts get in the way of your shots at NU.

As for your C level recruit assertion, you are very much off base. NU is still in contention for Flagg and Eastern who are both top 4-star recruits. If, fingers crossed, they choose NU that would be the highest rated duo at NU ever. See previous posting from earlier today about Eastern. Now if we do not get them or Nwora then I am sure we have others that we will go after who are quality recruits who could fit in well like Gaines who could develop into more than a plan B if you trust he coaching staff's ability to judge talent. IMHO, I would trust Collins and his staff ability to judge talent than someone who could not figure out that BC could not recruit until season 12 or 13 of his regime.

As for Eastern, he knows that if he goes to MSU he could ride the pines like Alvin Ellis and not play much and even less his senior season. The
5th year senior option is not at play when we have a number of talented HS senior's with offers.

To back up Virginia Wildcat, the BTN.com website had NU predicted for 10th place which traditionally is 6 or 7 win territory. So 8-10 exceeds predictions particularly when you lose your most athletic player. But don't let facts get in the way of your shots at NU.

:D

As for your C level recruit assertion, you are very much off base. NU is still in contention for Flagg and Eastern who are both top 4-star recruits. If, fingers crossed, they choose NU that would be the highest rated duo at NU ever. See previous posting from earlier today about Eastern. Now if we do not get them or Nwora then I am sure we have others that we will go after who are quality recruits who could fit in well like Gaines who could develop into more than a plan B if you trust he coaching staff's ability to judge talent. IMHO, I would trust Collins and his staff ability to judge talent than someone who could not figure out that BC could not recruit until season 12 or 13 of his regime.

As for Eastern, he knows that if he goes to MSU he could ride the pines like Alvin Ellis and not play much and even less his senior season. The
5th year senior option is not at play when we have a number of talented HS senior's with offers.

First, 10th place had 7 wins, 9th place (NU) had 8. Ok, that really exceeded all the experts expectations. You win. Im sure thats CCCs leading selling point...

I agree that either of eastern or flagg or smith, or two of them would be a godsend. And my first choice.

Not the point. First, its getting late historically for commitments. Second, the so called experts don't see NU as the most likely destinations. Third, what else do you want to discuss here on the bball board? Its been pretty dead.

After the A list, whats your thoughts about worse case scenario planning? Give up the personal attacks and labels. Join a discussion. It can be fun, you might like it.

If the so called experts made the decisions for recruits NU would have no players. I don't think NU made Justin Smith's final 8. Yes, at NU, winning 8 v. 6 or 7 is a big deal. Winning 9 or 10 would even be a bigger deal.

If the so called experts made the decisions for recruits NU would have no players. I don't think NU made Justin Smith's final 8. Yes, at NU, winning 8 v. 6 or 7 is a big deal. Winning 9 or 10 would even be a bigger deal.

Then why is it a big deal that NU exceeded the so called experts in wins and placement by one?

First, 10th place had 7 wins, 9th place (NU) had 8. Ok, that really exceeded all the experts expectations. You win.

I never said they exceeded ALL expectations. I said we "outplayed preseason predictions" (WITHOUT Law). You didn't believe it...it's been proved. At least you admitted you lost this one...

Once again Virginia Wildcat is on the money. Winning 8 games without your most athletically talented player in Law is step forward. Beating the teams that you are supposed to beat on the road like UNL and PSU is a big step. Now they have to take the next step and knock up tourney teams like UM and teams like OSU.

I never said they exceeded ALL expectations. I said we "outplayed preseason predictions" (WITHOUT Law). You didn't believe it...it's been proved. At least you admitted you lost this one...

Sure. Great body of work in support of your contention along with well played with word games all, outplayed (no limiting adjective) preseason predictions, assignment of believing no such example could exist... I hope neither work in stats or appellate law....or drug trials...

I also recall disputing, only asking for the related authority. Got it, I guess somewhere some expert at BTN made such a prediction and NU really showed them.

Good collaborative work guys. Keep up the strong, off topic contributions. At least it helps provide some life to a pretty dead board...

Once again Virginia Wildcat is on the money. Winning 8 games without your most athletically talented player in Law is step forward. Beating the teams that you are supposed to beat on the road like UNL and PSU is a big step. Now they have to take the next step and knock up tourney teams like UM and teams like OSU.

I must say that we are going to have some fun, the three of us, in a few months and thereafter. This new board with its archive searching capability is gonna to cause some real humbling moments. Maybe for me, but then maybe not ;)

I must say that we are going to have some fun, the three of us, in a few months and thereafter. This new board with its archive searching capability is gonna to cause some real humbling moments. Maybe for me, but then maybe not ;)

Either way...I'll be the one rooting FOR the 'cats. ;)

Good collaborative work guys. Keep up the strong, off topic contributions. At least it helps provide some life to a pretty dead board...

Off topic? I orginially responded to YOUR unfactual comment. So you must've been then one off topic...

NU has had 2 fifth year senior situations. 1) the Yale transfer (Kreisburg) in Collins' second season which was needed because Olah had no backup and 2) Joey Van Zegeren who Collins saw in a holiday tournament and CC liked his athletic ability. This means that he saw a void in Olah's lack of lateral movement or ability to jump quickly. 5th year seniors are band aids and for the most part do not pan out. The state of the program is beyond this state. So your focus on this option shows a lack of understanding of the roster who has a freshman and sophomore at center who need minutes to develop as opposed to a 5th year band aid option. I think I vaguely recall a Collins interview which more fully explains this.

Also, if one can not figure out that winning 8 Big 10 games is a big deal for NU basketball then you have not been paying attention to NU basketball in the past 20 years or more. Even with the NU scoring leader Shurna, NU could only muster 8 wins maybe once.

Yes, I will enjoy watching what unfolds and show how off base some posters are.

NU has had 2 fifth year senior situations. 1) the Yale transfer (Kreisburg) in Collins' second season which was needed because Olah had no backup and 2) Joey Van Zegeren who Collins saw in a holiday tournament and CC liked his athletic ability.

You forget the one huge success: Jared Swopshire from Louisville in 2012-13. He was having a great season until he got injured late in the year, averaging just under 10 ppg and almost 7 rpg. I'd take another Swop in a heart beat!

Reactions: IGNORE2
You forget the one huge success: Jared Swopshire from Louisville in 2012-13. He was having a great season until he got injured late in the year, averaging just under 10 ppg and almost 7 rpg. I'd take another Swop in a heart beat!

Considering the prevalence of 5th year transfers in the NCAA, I DO have confidence that the staff won't simply dismiss this option and give the competition a resulting advantage. I guess CCC was only teasing Barry this past summer about having interest....

NU has had 2 fifth year senior situations. 1) the Yale transfer (Kreisburg) in Collins' second season which was needed because Olah had no backup and 2) Joey Van Zegeren who Collins saw in a holiday tournament and CC liked his athletic ability. This means that he saw a void in Olah's lack of lateral movement or ability to jump quickly. 5th year seniors are band aids and for the most part do not pan out. The state of the program is beyond this state. So your focus on this option shows a lack of understanding of the roster who has a freshman and sophomore at center who need minutes to develop as opposed to a 5th year band aid option. I think I vaguely recall a Collins interview which more fully explains this.

Also, if one can not figure out that winning 8 Big 10 games is a big deal for NU basketball then you have not been paying attention to NU basketball in the past 20 years or more. Even with the NU scoring leader Shurna, NU could only muster 8 wins maybe once.

Yes, I will enjoy watching what unfolds and show how off base some posters are.

Just want to keep this quote ;)

NU went after one of the two or three fifth year players in Canyon Barry not because they needed a backup like Kreisberg or Van Zergeren. They went after one of the best graduate transfers available in the nation which is a sign of the program's growth. Barry chose to go Florida.

NU is going for and recruiting numerous talented high school seniors. There is no interest in fifth year graduate transfers. That is not a logical next step right now. I am choosing to have faith in NU's staff's ability to recruit. Some posters who avoid reality choose to overlook three straight solid classes of recruits. That is their choice but I think Collins will find two guys who want to play right away as opposed to sitting on the bench at other places. Keep all your quotes and I will laugh as NU continues their solid recruiting and makes history soon. Yes, there is a difference in basketball skills between Kreisberg, Van Zegeren and Barry. Too bad some posters lack of sports knowledge is so apparent.

NU went after one of the two or three fifth year players in Canyon Barry not because they needed a backup like Kreisberg or Van Zergeren. They went after one of the best graduate transfers available in the nation which is a sign of the program's growth. Barry chose to go Florida.

NU is going for and recruiting numerous talented high school seniors. There is no interest in fifth year graduate transfers. That is not a logical next step right now. I am choosing to have faith in NU's staff's ability to recruit. Some posters who avoid reality choose to overlook three straight solid classes of recruits. That is their choice but I think Collins will find two guys who want to play right away as opposed to sitting on the bench at other places. Keep all your quotes and I will laugh as NU continues their solid recruiting and makes history soon. Yes, there is a difference in basketball skills between Kreisberg, Van Zegeren and Barry. Too bad some posters lack of sports knowledge is so apparent.

Let's hold this one too. When I get to the office, I will post the link of the 5th transfers in the NCAA this year year. You think there were two or three... Well, we can definitely who among us lacks sports knowledge around here. Can I open an account for you? You would be a great client for me ;)

320 - I had not contemplated the appearance and impact of a zero recruit class. But I admit that it is a fair argument. I suppose if we bring in a single recruit off the Plan C, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But also not convinced it would be any more impressive. And we have seen one scholarship clog up the system already.

I think I will stick with transfers if we don't land an A lister. But I now agree that completely sitting on the schollies to use in 2018 would be a bad idea.

hdhtr - Agreed, but if we brought in almost any player other than a top rated player, they will redshirt in year one absent a string of injuries. And transfers only tie up the schollie three years - not 4 or 5 like a frosh. I would think one 5th year transfer and one mid ed transfer would be my fallback position en lieu of a C or D list recruit.
Really depends on the reason for the transfer.

Let's hold this one too. When I get to the office, I will post the link of the 5th transfers in the NCAA this year year. You think there were two or three... Well, we can definitely who among us lacks sports knowledge around here. Can I open an account for you? You would be a great client for me ;)

Got a little busy today. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14390188/college-basketball-transfer-list :) Here are those 'two or three' 5th year transfers that moved teams going into this season - don't bother peeking, it's 111 graduate transfers. So, Walk, in your educated opinion will the number on this list grow or shrink next year? I'll hang up and listen.

Really depends on the reason for the transfer.

I agree - broad-brush painting. Maybe if we are still sitting on schollies heading into late Fall, a look at remaining targets v. potential transfer targets in a gcg football recruit fashion might be insightful. For now, I will root for Eastern, Flagg and then transfers - for now...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT