ADVERTISEMENT

Nance

He’s 6’10” and shot 28% from 3. We’d be a better team and he’d be a more valuable player if he spent more time being aggressive towards the basket. An occasional wide open 3? Sure. When they are 40% of the shots he takes, no thanks.
I am more concerned that stays closer to the basket of D. We need Nance’s length there and have him continue to improve on the glass. Can’t be running at 3 point shooters every game while we sit in a zone.

Other than Gaines NU doesn’t have great individual defenders. Nance could be a good defender, but to me he is average now . Boo needs a lot of work on D. Great Freshman campaign on O and he is going to play a lot of minutes. Kopp is never going to be a stopper on D and hopefully his superior shooting wears down the opposition concerned with chasing him off screens all game. We need Nance to upgrade his D to “great” as it can be IMO.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
If Nicholson shows up next year with any kind of serviceable B1G quality strength, he could be a big factor on defense as a 7-1 intimidator. Add in 6-10 Nance and a stronger 6-9 Beran, and that could be one tough forest to navigate for opposing teams. Gaines and Audige could rotate as perimeter stoppers.

Reactions: EagerFan
Gaines and Audige could rotate as perimeter stoppers.

I am fairly excited about Audige. While I know that his freshman numbers (in the Colonial League) were about what Spencer's numbers were (in the B1G), I cannot help being excited by his shooting percentages and highlights:

I should know better than counting chickens before they hatch...but next season's guard situation should be much improved with Buie, Berry, Audige, Gaines and Greer. That seems like decent competitive depth... Will one of them become a breakout star?

I believe that NU also plans on adding an additional grad transfer to the 2020-21 squad. Small Forward seems like the logical spot to target, but I suppose that it could be yet another guard who can play and defend multiple spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaCat
He’s 6’10” and shot 28% from 3. We’d be a better team and he’d be a more valuable player if he spent more time being aggressive towards the basket. An occasional wide open 3? Sure. When they are 40% of the shots he takes, no thanks.
He’s not taking contests 3’s. He just wasn’t hitting earlier in the season, as of late he has played like our best player. Against penn st he brought the ball up the court occasionally. The dudes a player. Doesn’t need to change his game just gain confidence and improve it. I really don’t get all the scrutiny towards nance. I’m not saying this cuz we won but with the correct pieces added this team could be special for NU.

With him and Beran it really adds flexibility to the line up. Beran can (after a year in the weight room) guard and score at 3/4 and he has a nice 3 pt shot. Nance is more of 4 at my opinion but his skill set and height make him one heck of a mismatch no matter who you put him against. They’re our two best shot blockers. Nance is our best rebounder. Labeling a position on them isn’t that important but I really don’t have a problem with nance taking the 3’s he has. They’re normally good shots just hadn't been falling.

I think part of the problem with Nance’s 3s has been that, like Boo, he tended to hurry and shoot without setting his feet and/or with a slight lateral motion that takes all the leeway and luck out of the equation.

When he takes that extra second to get set, he is much more dangerous and I’m in favor of his taking an open 3 at almost any opportunity.

Reactions: JournCat
I think part of the problem with Nance’s 3s has been that, like Boo, he tended to hurry and shoot without setting his feet and/or with a slight lateral motion that takes all the leeway and luck out of the equation.

When he takes that extra second to get set, he is much more dangerous and I’m in favor of his taking an open 3 at almost any opportunity.

I also liked that he was bringing the ball up the court against PSU. His next step is to initiate offense instead of just handing off. Make a good pass or go straight to the post. A breakout may still be coming ...

I am fairly excited about Audige. While I know that his freshman numbers (in the Colonial League) were about what Spencer's numbers were (in the B1G), I cannot help being excited by his shooting percentages and highlights:

I should know better than counting chickens before they hatch...but next season's guard situation should be much improved with Buie, Berry, Audige, Gaines and Greer. That seems like decent competitive depth... Will one of them become a breakout star?

I believe that NU also plans on adding an additional grad transfer to the 2020-21 squad. Small Forward seems like the logical spot to target, but I suppose that it could be yet another guard who can play and defend multiple spots.
Well Audige sure looks like he loves taking it to the hoop but looks a bit unsure with ballhandling. The tape didn't show much D, so there's that.

He’s not taking contests 3’s. He just wasn’t hitting earlier in the season, as of late he has played like our best player. Against penn st he brought the ball up the court occasionally. The dudes a player. Doesn’t need to change his game just gain confidence and improve it. I really don’t get all the scrutiny towards nance. I’m not saying this cuz we won but with the correct pieces added this team could be special for NU.

With him and Beran it really adds flexibility to the line up. Beran can (after a year in the weight room) guard and score at 3/4 and he has a nice 3 pt shot. Nance is more of 4 at my opinion but his skill set and height make him one heck of a mismatch no matter who you put him against. They’re our two best shot blockers. Nance is our best rebounder. Labeling a position on them isn’t that important but I really don’t have a problem with nance taking the 3’s he has. They’re normally good shots just hadn't been falling.

I like nance - I think he can be a good player. But when you are 6’10” you need to take advantage of that size. Him taking 40% of his shots as 3’s isn’t doing that.

The threat of taking a 3 can present opportunities for him to then drive, but too often he just settles for the 3. Too many of them seem to be forced or I’ll just jack this up.

I’m guessing other teams are more than happy to watch Nance put up 3’s at a 28% success rate.

His frosh year Nance took 38 3’s on 75 field goal attempts. Shot 26% on 3’s.

It’s a tool he has, my point is he uses it too much.

Last edited:
I also liked that he was bringing the ball up the court against PSU. His next step is to initiate offense instead of just handing off. Make a good pass or go straight to the post. A breakout may still be coming ...
I’m hopeful for his continuing growth. I love it in those rare times he remembers that from the free throw line he is basically one stride from a dunk.

I’m hopeful for his continuing growth. I love it in those rare times he remembers that from the free throw line he is basically one stride from a dunk.

He's just now entering that phase of his college career whereby he sees the floor and what's about to happen with far more clarity than most of the players on the floor. And in that phase we'll see a lot more dunks.

I like nance - I think he can be a good player. But when you are 6’10” you need to take advantage of that size. Him taking 40% of his shots as 3’s isn’t doing that.

The threat of taking a 3 can present opportunities for him to then drive, but too often he just settles for the 3. Too many of them seem to be forced or I’ll just jack this up.

I’m guessing other teams are more than happy to watch Nance put up 3’s at a 28% success rate.

His frosh year Nance took 38 3’s on 75 field goal attempts. Shot 26% on 3’s.

It’s a tool he has, my point is he uses it too much.
You have to look at Nance's offense in context with the rest of the team. Young's biggest offensive asset is his footwork inside against single coverage. If Nance plays regularly closer to the basket, that brings another post defender toward the basket and makes it easier to double-team Young. Jones, to my untrained eye, looks more like a high post center. When he's in the game, it makes a little more sense to have Nance play more inside.

You have to look at Nance's offense in context with the rest of the team. Young's biggest offensive asset is his footwork inside against single coverage. If Nance plays regularly closer to the basket, that brings another post defender toward the basket and makes it easier to double-team Young. Jones, to my untrained eye, looks more like a high post center. When he's in the game, it makes a little more sense to have Nance play more inside.

Also, as Young improves his outside shooting (and I believe he's said he wants to take and make more 3s), Nance will be able to go inside more when the two are in the game.

Reactions: PURPLECAT88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT