ADVERTISEMENT

NCAAWLAX Tourney Thread

Strange bracket. 29 teams. Top 3 get byes. Could we be looking at an NU-UNC rematch come Memorial Day Weekend. I’m sure the Cats would like nothing more than to avenge last years crushing defeat.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
If I'm reading the bracket correctly, it looks like the 'Cats cannot meet North Carolina in the final because both teams are on the same side of the draw. The top teams on the other side of the draw are Syracuse and B.C.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
If I'm reading the bracket correctly, it looks like the 'Cats cannot meet North Carolina in the final because both teams are on the same side of the draw. The top teams on the other side of the draw are Syracuse and B.C.
Yep. UNC is the 4 seed and we would meet them in semifinals.

If we lose this game it just might be the greatest upset in the history of this sport. Northwestern has never lost to Michigan and Northwestern has never lost at home in the NCAA tournament.

Down one at half is nothing to worry about. KAH usually gets things figured out pretty quickly.

NUwin.gif

I did not watch the game. Did Michigan do something defensively to keep us out of our rhythm?

Stall ball all game long. UM consistently wound the shot clock down to 15 seconds before taking their shot. Worked our D to exhaustion and then usually found some nice shots off of late cuts. Also, the UM goalie played out of her mind so they were able to play stall ball with a lead despite getting out-shot 2-1 throughout the game, and being down draw controls by a wide margin. Definitely one of the more crazy games and outcomes i’ve seen in a long time.

I watched Duke #1 v Delaware(Men) . Delaware opened up a big lead by dodging . Duke then switched to a zone defense, that stymied Delaware. Zone defenses are usually easily beaten by ball movement and outside shooting

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Stall ball all game long. UM consistently wound the shot clock down to 15 seconds before taking their shot. Worked our D to exhaustion and then usually found some nice shots off of late cuts. Also, the UM goalie played out of her mind so they were able to play stall ball with a lead despite getting out-shot 2-1 throughout the game, and being down draw controls by a wide margin. Definitely one of the more crazy games and outcomes i’ve seen in a long time.
Also, (and keep in mind, this was my first lacrosse game I watched in person) it seemed that the officiating was...uneven. Lots of grumbles from the crowd at the penalties called against NU compared with what Mich seemed to get away with.

Also, (and keep in mind, this was my first lacrosse game I watched in person) it seemed that the officiating was...uneven. Lots of grumbles from the crowd at the penalties called against NU compared with what Mich seemed to get away with.
I did'nt think that the officiating was uneven. It was called more tightly than we are used to, but players need to adjust. Michigan played tough man defense and our players were clearly pressing their 1v1 matchups.

The more glaring observation is that UM had the perfect game plan and executed at a very high level against our hybrid D. Their cuts and spacing managed to breakdown our D after a few sets, and then their crisp passing to the open cutter often resulted in quality shots on goal. Laliberty may not have had her best game, but played tough and came through when it mattered. GREAT overall game defensively, and everyone on the offensive side stepped up as UM doubled our top 3 O players (Skane, Corkendall, and Taylor) and took them out of their normal games.

I did'nt think that the officiating was uneven. It was called more tightly than we are used to, but players need to adjust. Michigan played tough man defense and our players were clearly pressing their 1v1 matchups.

The more glaring observation is that UM had the perfect game plan and executed at a very high level against our hybrid D. Their cuts and spacing managed to breakdown our D after a few sets, and then their crisp passing to the open cutter often resulted in quality shots on goal. Laliberty may not have had her best game, but played tough and came through when it mattered. GREAT overall game defensively, and everyone on the offensive side stepped up as UM doubled our top 3 O players (Skane, Corkendall, and Taylor) and took them out of their normal games.
Thanks for your analysis - I will defer to your opinion on this, as I'm sure it is much more informed than my novice fan's perspective.

Cats on ESPNU/ESPN+ now.

Up 6-1 on #8 Loyola with 9:15 to go in the 2nd. Cats are dominating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT