ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Cats Update

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I think it would be good to have a thread to help those who are interested to follow the exploits and news of our Cats in the NFL.

Today is only the 2nd preseason game for the 2016 season, but a few Cats show up in the box scores.

Trevor Siemian of course had mixed success, starting for the Broncos and passing 10-14, 75 yds, 1 INT (pick-6 unfortunately) to go with his opening TD drive. This outing probably didn't help his chances.

* edit * Brian Peters (Texans) 3 tackles, 3 solo. Great show, Brian!

Chi Chi Ariguzo (Lions) 3 tackles, 2 solo.

Deonte Gibson (Lions) 2 tackles, 2 solo, 1 TFL. Way to go, Deonte!

Ibraheim Campbell (Browns) 1 tackle, 1 solo.

Dean Lowry (Packers) 1 tackle.

Dan Vitale (Bucs) 1 catch for -2 yds, 2 targets.

Kain Colter (Bills) 0 catches, 2 targets.

Rashad Lawrence (Jaguars) 0 catches, 1 target.

Several others likely played (Zach Strief, Corbin Bryant, McManis? etc.) but didn't have any box score numbers to report.

Last edited:
Thanks for compiling this. I'll admit I had no idea that Corbin Bryant was making a career for himself. That's awesome. It seems like a decade since he's been at NU, but clearly it was much more recent than that.

If there's any chance for a NDFA to make an impact, Detroit's defense is the place. Chi Chi and Deonte have a sharp agent.

I think it would be good to have a thread to help those who are interested to follow the exploits and news of our Cats in the NFL.

Today is only the 2nd preseason game for the 2016 season, but a few Cats show up in the box scores.

Trevor Siemian of course had mixed success, starting for the Broncos and passing 10-14, 75 yds, 1 INT (pick-6 unfortunately) to go with his opening TD drive. This outing probably didn't help his chances.

Several others likely played (Zach Strief, Corbin Bryant, McManis? etc.) but didn't have any box score numbers to report.

Appreciate you doing this, DaCat. Just FYI - Peters did have some misadventures on special teams (twice missed key blocks). He's going to have to pick up his game a bit to see solid playing time.

Appreciate you doing this, DaCat. Just FYI - Peters did have some misadventures on special teams (twice missed key blocks). He's going to have to pick up his game a bit to see solid playing time.

Any chance Peters sees the field on defense in addition to special teams?

I honestly don't know - haven't been following too close, just what I saw on TV. Spent a min and didn't see any news, and apparently he also forced a fumble, which I missed as well.

He met with us here at our annual Randy Bates event in May, and he said he was working hard to make the depth chart at LB. He's on the team as a special teams guy, however, and the push to get in on defense as well may be more of an aspirational goal than anything.

Reactions: ricko654321

Thanks for doing this. I tried watching Lowry but had a hard time finding him on the field. I suppose he wasn't always in the game on D.

I would like more coverage of our graduated Cats.

Preseason Week 3 results so far:

Miles Shuler (Panthers) 1 catch, 23 yds, 5 targets

Kain Colter (Bills) 0 catches, 1 target

Ibraheim Campbell (Browns) 5 tackles, 5 solo

Vitale, Lowry, Bryant didn't show up in box scores. Doesn't look like Kyle Prater made the Saints, but not sure. Looking forward to Siemian's game.

Vitale, Lowry, Bryant didn't show up in box scores. Doesn't look like Kyle Prater made the Saints, but not sure. Looking forward to Siemian's game.

Thanks

Vitale made it to the announcers on the air (unfortunately). Flagged for holding as a lead blocker(and a great block, driving his man completely out of the picture) but still flagged. he was wearing # 86 for the Bucs.

Vitale made it to the announcers on the air (unfortunately). Flagged for holding as a lead blocker(and a great block, driving his man completely out of the picture) but still flagged. he was wearing # 86 for the Bucs.

By definition, a hold cannot be a "great block."

... Doesn't look like Kyle Prater made the Saints, but not sure. Looking forward to Siemian's game.

Prater no longer with NO. He tweeted about it maybe week before last?

By definition, a hold cannot be a "great block."
Yes I agree. But from the angle viewed (the camera was pointing to the sideline and aimed at Dan's back) it looked like he was on a blocking sled , driving the opponent directly back. That's why it looked good. I couldn't visualize the hold except that when the offensive line runs drills (see BTN at NU) they grab the shirt right in front of them. In fact, the pros do that also yet don't get flagged.

McManis looked sharp on the video board at Soldier Field doing some Bears propaganda.

Shuler cut today. Gibson too.

That's too bad. Good luck to those guys outside of football.

Yes I agree. But from the angle viewed (the camera was pointing to the sideline and aimed at Dan's back) it looked like he was on a blocking sled , driving the opponent directly back. That's why it looked good. I couldn't visualize the hold except that when the offensive line runs drills (see BTN at NU) they grab the shirt right in front of them. In fact, the pros do that also yet don't get flagged.

Dan received a lot of publicity early on -compared to M.Allstott. Recently, the press has not been kind with many predicting he will not make the squad due to blocking deficiencies

Shuler and Gibson may go up north and try Canadian football for a season or two. That will keep them in football shape until they try again. Vitale is having a rough time after having a good showing early. I think he gets on to the practice squad as they try to develop his blocking skills. I think the other issue is that they wanted a fullback that will grind out yards when needed and he hasn't been that effective as a running back. They do like his speed out of the backfield on pass plays but just needs to show more fullback traits.

Blast from the past on Instagram - future NFL Cats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT