ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern football will return to Wrigley Field in 2020 to face Wisconsin

Nice park, great food, fine location, terrible team and fans.

1. It's a bad location if you want to draw fans to watch a this current team during the work or school week. Logistically it's fine, sure, but it's a bad location otherwise. They will look to build their next park in the South Loop when their current stadium lease is up.

2. It's a terrible team by design. The Cubs don't have Kris Bryant if they don't lose 100 games in 2013. Cubs fans who make fun of the Sox for being bad right now are pretty much idiotic and I'm not saying you're making fun of them.

3. Cubs fans have gone from "the lovable losers" to "the most insufferable winners possible" in a few short years.

This past off season Wrigley redid the visitors dugout and locker room. With that revision they put in removable box seats to allow for an appropriate field per NCAA regulation.

I am not surprised this is coming in short order. I am with the opponent I thought it would have been an out of conference opponent.
Or a year later or earlier with MN or someone else we would not sell out

1. It's a bad location if you want to draw fans to watch a this current team during the work or school week. Logistically it's fine, sure, but it's a bad location otherwise. They will look to build their next park in the South Loop when their current stadium lease is up.

2. It's a terrible team by design. The Cubs don't have Kris Bryant if they don't lose 100 games in 2013. Cubs fans who make fun of the Sox for being bad right now are pretty much idiotic and I'm not saying you're making fun of them.

3. Cubs fans have gone from "the lovable losers" to "the most insufferable winners possible" in a few short years.
The real reason I was hoping they would not win. THey were bad enough as losers but...

Reactions: Fitz51
Nope. It was electric. Got there really early. The excitement inside and outside was palpable. We all had a blast. National exposure, Game Day on Clark Street, news cameras everywhere, game sold out, party on Sheffield, purple Wrigley sign, huge posters of players, plus me and 15 of my family and friends.

As far as seats go, I've never understood the hang up. Maybe it's just me, but I can happily follow a game wherever I sit. I just soak it all in.

Further, we all complain about the atmosphere at Ryan, and then when we finally get atmosphere, we find something else to complain about.

It was just too bad the game was terrible.
It is called dealing with NU fans.

Reactions: StreamCat
I'm very excited for this. Wrigley Field is just about my favorite place on earth, and any chance to spend time there is a good thing. As for the date, I'm a little concerned that it might be over-shadowed by a pretty significant event 4 days earlier.
You mean with Trump winning his second term and the general media crapping all over themselves again? You are right that is a significant event. Fun times....

Nope. It was electric. Got there really early. The excitement inside and outside was palpable. We all had a blast. National exposure, Game Day on Clark Street, news cameras everywhere, game sold out, party on Sheffield, purple Wrigley sign, huge posters of players, plus me and 15 of my family and friends.

As far as seats go, I've never understood the hang up. Maybe it's just me, but I can happily follow a game wherever I sit. I just soak it all in.

Further, we all complain about the atmosphere at Ryan, and then when we finally get atmosphere, we find something else to complain about.

It was just too bad the game was terrible.
When you have great seats on the 50 and replace them for a game with those sight lines....

Last edited:
I also do not see the attraction to play at Wrigley. I attended the last time we played there and was disappointed in the venue. I guess this can help in recruiting. My real question is will this be part of the season ticket package or will it be a separate fee like last time?
Likely the later

What’s your point? That we would like NU around be a “big boy” program, but not on a “big boy” operating budget?
The point is the $600 donation had to be by today to count towards getting access to parking

Wisky was homecoming in 95. But I thought PSU 95 was the first Dyche Stadium sellout in forever.
But generally we do well with WIS in attendance averaging about 42k or more out of 47K Don't need Wrigley to boost the attendance for that game and it really can't

I would think logistics are the more important for people wanting to go during the work or school week. Wouldn't the concept be they want easy ingress and egress? The frills around the stadium would be more for the weekend crowd.

I would think logistics are the more important for people wanting to go during the work or school week. Wouldn't the concept be they want easy ingress and egress? The frills around the stadium would be more for the weekend crowd.

Not for the millennial crowd it's not. Why go ~8 miles south to Bridgeport/Armour Square and spend +$100 to drink for 2-3 hours when you can pregame at bars, go to the game, and go out after at Wrigley? 25-35 year olds will drink any night of the week and only need a gentle nudge to do so. Where the Cell is located gives that demo zero incentive to go to an actual game, and that's the demo that fills a lot of the seats at Wrigley and has for decades now, even though a lot of the crowd isn't "diehard".

Again, I'm in that demo and as a diehard Sox fan, I usually only go to Friday/Saturday games, though I'll catch a weekday game if it's a great pitching matchup. They need an area that has tourist overfill, has a popping night life scene, and that has post grads with $$$ in their pockets for the first time ever moving into the area in droves. That's why they'll move to the South Loop in 2030 when their current lease is up.

St. Louis is a dump of a city (sorry if this offends) but the stadium is right smack dab downtown and they built and awesome bar scene legit across the street from the stadium. This is what the Sox are going to do. It may not seem like it, but the Cell (I'll always call it that) is already the 5th oldest stadium in baseball. Only Wrigley, Fenway, Dodger Stadium and the Oakland Coliseum are older.

Not for the millennial crowd it's not. Why go ~8 miles south to Bridgeport/Armour Square and spend +$100 to drink for 2-3 hours when you can pregame at bars, go to the game, and go out after at Wrigley? 25-35 year olds will drink any night of the week and only need a gentle nudge to do so. Where the Cell is located gives that demo zero incentive to go to an actual game, and that's the demo that fills a lot of the seats at Wrigley and has for decades now, even though a lot of the crowd isn't "diehard".

Again, I'm in that demo and as a diehard Sox fan, I usually only go to Friday/Saturday games, though I'll catch a weekday game if it's a great pitching matchup. They need an area that has tourist overfill, has a popping night life scene, and that has post grads with $$$ in their pockets for the first time ever moving into the area in droves. That's why they'll move to the South Loop in 2030 when their current lease is up.

St. Louis is a dump of a city (sorry if this offends) but the stadium is right smack dab downtown and they built and awesome bar scene legit across the street from the stadium. This is what the Sox are going to do. It may not seem like it, but the Cell (I'll always call it that) is already the 5th oldest stadium in baseball. Only Wrigley, Fenway, Dodger Stadium and the Oakland Coliseum are older.
If that's the ill, not sure that the panacea is South Loop...it has more of the above, for sure, but it's not Lakeview. Sounds to me like you're saying the issue is the stadium isn't on the north side of the city, which it will never be.

If that's the ill, not sure that the panacea is South Loop...it has more of the above, for sure, but it's not Lakeview. Sounds to me like you're saying the issue is the stadium isn't on the north side of the city, which it will never be.

Of course it won't be. But the SL offers a much, much better alternative than Armour Square.

My hope is that by the time a new stadium is constructed, they'll have won about 7-8 World Series with Kopech, Eloy, Moncada, Cease, Hansen, Machado, etc. at that point to where they're a marquis MLB attraction for fans and free agents alike, so by that point location won't matter as much

Of course it won't be. But the SL offers a much, much better alternative than Armour Square.

My hope is that by the time a new stadium is constructed, they'll have won about 7-8 World Series with Kopech, Eloy, Moncada, Cease, Hansen, Machado, etc. at that point to where they're a marquis MLB attraction for fans and free agents alike, so by that point location won't matter as much
Reasonable.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Not sure what the current status is, but in the past I've seen plenty of people tailgate a bit in the Sox lots.
You are right. White Sox Park or whatever it is called today is easier to get in and out of and offers plenty at the park itself. But less to do in the neighborhood itself and that seems to be what people are looking for. Not sure exactly why when you are pretty worn out by the time you get to the park and go through a 3 plus hour game . You are already looking at 4-5 hrs.

The actual field at Wrigley is beautiful. The stadium is a dump, and now it has been whored out in every conceivable way to pay for the million$ invested just to keep it from falling down. I don't blame the Ricketts for doing this, because they had little choice. But the structure itself is probably beyond redemption.
Yes since Roger Bossard got a hold of redoing it.

Better for experiencing a spectacle. I'd imagine that there will be a new layout, given the renovations, that will hopefully aim to improve the sight lines.

Are you actually complaining about being cold at a November college football game? I don't remember Ryan being particularly warm...
It is better than Wrigley with any wind. Stands at Ryan actually block it but at Wrigley not so much

As otheres have said, they can tailgate at SOx Park and save a bunch of that. Around Wrigley they cannot

Don't forget OSU in 2004 Mich 2000 and a couple others.

My response was piggybacking off another poster who claimed NU can’t sellout vs Wisconsin.

It’s hard to beat those two games in terms of enjoyment, though. My favorite sporting events to have attended in person (both of them trump the Bears NFC Championship game in 2007).

I think you have got the Southside team confused with the Cubs.
No, I was born on the south side, raised on the south side. Not one of those suburbs that call themselves the south side. Football games at Wrigley field are a novelty and spectacle for now and Wrigley is a classic destination not like the abomination where the Sox play.

Last edited:
It may not seem like it, but the Cell (I'll always call it that) is already the 5th oldest stadium in baseball. Only Wrigley, Fenway, Dodger Stadium and the Oakland Coliseum are older.

It is the 9th oldest stadium. Fenway (1912), Wrigley (1914), Dodger Stadium (1962), Oakland Coliseum (1966), Angel Stadium (1966), Kauffman Stadium (1973), Rogers Centre (1989), and Tropicana Field (1990) are older.

You could put Sox park in the back yard of most Sox fans and they still wouldn’t pay to see a Sox team play a game. The only time they show up is if the team is winning the division and even then it’s sporadic. For whatever reasons, the average Sox fan is cheap, cynical and a negative nelllie whose favorite past time is talking trash about the Cubs and Cubs fans rather than supporting their team. I am a Cubs fan who enjoys taking my two Sox fan sons to a Sox game any day of the week. Easy access, convenient parking, good food, affordable tickets. What more can you ask for? Reinsdorf or the new Sox owner should seriously consider moving the team to a new city. Sox fans don’t deserve the team.

You must not remember the "home" game NU played against dOSU in Cleveland Municipal Stadium (aka The Mistake by the Lake).......
I absolutely remember that ... one of the lowest points of the program, effectively selling a home conference game to the opponent. As I said, a strange thing to do.

You could put Sox park in the back yard of most Sox fans and they still wouldn’t pay to see a Sox team play a game. The only time they show up is if the team is winning the division and even then it’s sporadic. For whatever reasons, the average Sox fan is cheap, cynical and a negative nelllie whose favorite past time is talking trash about the Cubs and Cubs fans rather than supporting their team. I am a Cubs fan who enjoys taking my two Sox fan sons to a Sox game any day of the week. Easy access, convenient parking, good food, affordable tickets. What more can you ask for? Reinsdorf or the new Sox owner should seriously consider moving the team to a new city. Sox fans don’t deserve the team.

Dumbest take of all time. Move a team from a major market, that is even if split in half, still bigger than just about any market in America? Do you know their stadium lease deal they have is the best in all American sports? Or that they drew 36,000 fans/game in 2006 even with a stadium located across the street from projects? I could name 1 billion reasons why the sox will never leave Chicago

You're a dad who brings his little kids to games. You're the exception, not the rule. You do realize the Cubs didn't draw shit for attendance until Wrigleyville turned into Wrigleyville, right? They drew a few thousand people a game until the late 70s because.... location. There was nothing on the North side back then.

You reek of "I'm an ignorant Cubs fan who doesn't know wtf I'm talking about"

Last edited:
It is the 9th oldest stadium. Fenway (1912), Wrigley (1914), Dodger Stadium (1962), Oakland Coliseum (1966), Angel Stadium (1966), Kauffman Stadium (1973), Rogers Centre (1989), and Tropicana Field (1990) are older.

I forgot about Angel stadium. I knew the Trop and Rogers Centre opened about the same time and was going off the top of my head

Wow, nothing like casting a shadow over an entire fan base!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT