ADVERTISEMENT

NU sets national standard in APR

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
From NUSports.com...

Northwestern Sets National Standard In NCAA Academic Progress Rate
Wildcats earn Big Ten-record 15 APR Public Recognition Awards, lead FBS with 79% of teams honored

EVANSTON, Ill. — A school-record 15 of Northwestern’s 19 varsity athletic programs received Public Recognition Awards today (May 20) as part of the NCAA Academic Progress Rate (APR) program.

NU’s 15 teams were honored for placing in the top 10 percent of their respective sports in the latest multi-year APR scores. That marks the highest total in both Northwestern and Big Ten Conference history. The Wildcats have paced the Big Ten every year since the award’s inception in 2004-05.

“The ability of our young men and women to continually raise the bar when it comes to academic achievement is nothing short of remarkable,” said Jim Phillips, vice-president for athletics & recreation. “This is a tremendous compliment to our student-athletes, who have a relentless commitment to pursuing the best education in college athletics while simultaneously competing at the highest level in the Big Ten Conference.

“Our responsibility to provide the tools necessary for success would not be possible without tremendous leadership from University President Morty Schapiro and Provost Dan Linzer, as well as our academic support staff,” said Phillips. “Today is a proud day in our ongoing mission to provide our nearly 500 student-athletes with a world-class experience academically, socially and athletically."

Northwestern ranks as the FBS school with the highest percentage of its teams awarded today. Notre Dame is the second highest at 65 percent with Stanford (61%), Duke (58%), and Minnesota (56%) rounding out the top five in that elite group. The most recent APRs are multi-year rates based on scores from the 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14 academic years.

This year, Northwestern boasts the second-highest percentage (79 percent) of its teams topping the APR list in the nation, according to the NCAA. Only Dartmouth ranked higher, while the ’Cats came in ahead of Lafayette College and Gonzaga. Those are the only four schools that saw three-fourths of their teams making the list.

Only seven Big Ten teams have been honored with Public Recognition Awards in each of the first 10 years that they have been awarded and five of those programs are from Northwestern. NU’s men’s soccer, men’s tennis, wrestling, women’s golf and volleyball teams are proud members of the 10-for-10 club.

Joining the five teams mentioned above, Northwestern’s baseball, field hockey, football, men’s golf, softball, women’s basketball, cross country, women’s soccer, women’s swimming and diving and women’s tennis teams received Public Recognition Awards.

Each year, the NCAA honors selected Division I sports teams by publicly recognizing their latest multiyear NCAA Division I Academic Progress Rate (APR). This announcement is part of the overall Division I academic reform effort and is intended to highlight teams that demonstrate a commitment to academic progress and retention of student-athletes by achieving the top APRs within their respective sports. Specifically, these teams posted multiyear APRs in the top 10 percent of all squads in each sport. This year's release will again include recognition in the sport of football by subdivision (i.e., Football Bowl Subdivision and NCAA Football Championship Subdivision).

The APR provides a real-time look at a team's academic success each semester by tracking the academic progress of each student-athlete on scholarship. The APR accounts for eligibility, retention and graduation and provides a measure of each team's academic performance.
Multiyear APRs for all Division I sports teams, including the teams receiving public recognition, will be announced May 27.

Being Loyola Cat I would be remiss not to mention that LU was at 73% . Must be the lake! Go Cats Go Ramblers

APR may sound great, but victories are what count.

Like it or not, APR/Grad Rate/Team GPA are always going to be very important at Northwestern. Much more than at other schools. If Fitz can keep his team at least competitive on the field and doing everything right off of it, he will be around for a very long time.

Reactions: the wonder cat
The APR and grad rate will always be up there in part because of the standards to be admitted. That certainly doesn't diminish the accomplishment, just reinforces the quality of student entering into the program.

Every coach wants to win. But we are doing it the right way.
Winning? Sure the APR is one thing the hang your hat on but I don't remember any NU coach who didn't have players who graduated at an very high rate.

Every coach wants to win. But we are doing it the right way.

Ok, here's where I may receive some dissenting opinions. I do agree that the APR and grad rate is something to be proud of and recognized, but jacktheco makes the "we are doing it the right way", statement. Which I suppose means that programs that are winning the wrong way.

At this point what I'll say is that there are different abilities of players coming in both physically and academically, as well as different objectives by the student-athletes, coaches, and programs. While I don't believe cheating is ever ok, holding some schools accountable to Northwestern standard academics is similar to holding the Wildcats to Alabama or Ohio State levels of success. Both sides of this equation to strive to be more like where the other excels, but it's not realistic to be held to the other's accomplishments.

Ok, here's where I may receive some dissenting opinions. I do agree that the APR and grad rate is something to be proud of and recognized, but jacktheco makes the "we are doing it the right way", statement. Which I suppose means that programs that are winning the wrong way.

At this point what I'll say is that there are different abilities of players coming in both physically and academically, as well as different objectives by the student-athletes, coaches, and programs. While I don't believe cheating is ever ok, holding some schools accountable to Northwestern standard academics is similar to holding the Wildcats to Alabama or Ohio State levels of success. Both sides of this equation to strive to be more like where the other excels, but it's not realistic to be held to the other's accomplishments.
Yes, it is quite silly to hold graduates of OSU and NU to the same standards. I mean it's not like in the future they'll be competing for the same jobs or will be competing on the same playing field. Do you really want to have every OSU alumnus give up his/her job to any NU grad that wants it? Should NU forfeit every game against OSU because why bother?

I'm guessing you don't want the former, and I certainly don't want the latter. Here's the questions every school should be asking:

1. Are the players solid citizens and role models? That's players not assaulting people women especially, not robbing people, not murdering people, not doing drugs, not driving drunk... While I haven't heard too much at OSU, Urban Meyer had huge problems at Florida. Much of this got put on the back burner because Tim Tebow was the poster child for All American kid. Since then you've had Aaron Hernandez murdering people, Ray McDonald getting arrested... OSU had problems with Carlos Hyde, Maurice Clarett and I'm sure lots of others.

2. Are the players following NCAA guidelines to a reasonable fashion? I say reasonable fashion because the NCAA guidelines are overwhelmingly difficult to follow to a T. With that said, OSU had violations under Tressell that every kid should know is a violation. Terrell Pryor and Maurice Clarrett have both accused OSU of far worse infractions that the tattoo-gate.

3. Are the players graduating in a reasonable amount of time? I've read on this board that OSU has become the model for many schools on how to get kids to graduate by providing tutors and academic advisers without crossing the line into doing the the work for you. No idea if that's true. Also, if a player leaves after 3 years to go pro, but can get his degree after his football career is over, I'm all for it.

4. Are you winning? Yes, you to play to win the game.

5. Are you making money? Yes, bringing money into the university and having the kids getting a free education benefit the school is why they're playing the game.

How do you rank these 5 questions? I did them in my order. I'd rather see a team go 0-12 then see NU players getting arrested, not graduating, or cheating. If that's your order, you want to do things the right way. If it's not, then you'd rather put winning and money above doing it the right way. Is there a trade off between winning and doing things the right way? I don't think so. We won 10 games 3 seasons ago. Then we had injuries and a union movement as a distraction and won 10 games in a total of 2 years. I think you can have your cake and eat it too.

APR may sound great, but victories are what count.
I'd rather be top 5 in APR and 60th in football rankings than vice versa.

btw the notion that 'most' of us, by virtue of an NU degree, will be able to 'select' better jobs upon graduation is about as predictable and reliable as, say, which B1G QB's will be drafted. In my specific case, over a successful career spanning about 3 decades, I cannot say that I was ever selected due to my undergraduate degree. Perhaps the first one was, but other than that, it has been either through personal connections or through past performance/achievements.

Perhaps it would be different if I weren't in manufacturing, but, in fact, I've also never had a manager from Northwestern, or the Ivies for that matter. One from my other alma mater (Carnegie Mellon) and one from Berkeley but otherwise various and sundry alma maters

Realcatfan, there are always several problems with the type of points you bring up in your argument. First of all you assume that a NU grad can walk in and take any OSU's job, if they wanted to, but they wouldn't because a NU grad wouldn't be interested and an OSU grad wouldn't even understand what a NU grads job would entail much less be able to do it. Sure, It's a great bit of trash talk with your "state" college friends, but any reasonable mature adult can see the fallacy in that argument.

I will agree it is more likely that a problem student athlete appears at OSU or some other public football powerhouse than Northwestern. I would say that there is a higher number of problem students in general at OSU than NU.

It's not because anyone in power encourages it, rather it is because you have a higher diversity of academic abilities and socioeconomic backgrounds. As a University, NU is a private institution with a mission to admit the academic elite and provide a top level of education. OSU is a public institution that gives those who qualify an opportunity to get the education level that meets their ability. That in itself will provide different types of students and people.

Yes, you bring up,examples of players like Pryor, Clarett, and You can add Ray Small, Marco Cooper, and a some others. You know who doesn't get into trouble at OSU? Kids who regardless of race come from middle and upper class homes with strong family and peer support. You know who does? Just like the names mentioned, African American kids from broken homes, lack dependable role models, and financially poor incomes. The ones who get into trouble are a small minority of those who fit the description, but they're the ones people like you often broad brush to represent all the players.

Reactions: NJCat83588
Let's/ hit some more points. Pryor didn't make any additional accusations that were worst than tattoo-gate. Clarett implied that but he implied a lot of things, many of which he now admits to making up or exaggerating. Carlos Hyde didn't commit any crimes.

To answer your biased and BS morality ranking... I would agree with most of how you ranking follows, because you designed it to be such. Kind of like asking someone to rank in order of importance: Have a super hot model for a wife, $20 million dollar net worth, Kids who are happy, and World peace. Then judge someone's morality on how they would rank the list.

The truth is with a handful of exceptions, most Ohio State players meet your top three ranked items, but still achieve #4 and #5.

Reactions: NJCat83588
I'd rather be top 5 in APR and 60th in football rankings than vice versa.

I cannot say that I was ever selected due to my undergraduate degree.

My first job was in 1982 when there was an ugly recession on. I was able to get a good job very specifically because I had an NU degree and the other applicants were from SEC schools.

I now specialize in high end technical construction in remote environments so the undergraduate degree remains a big deal. Honestly NU does not stand out but it does keep me on the playing field. The folks that I work with here are a lot of MIT, Stanford, and Harvard graduates. If I had an Auburn degree, I would not be here.

To answer your biased and BS morality ranking... I would agree with most of how you ranking follows, because you designed it to be such. Kind of like asking someone to rank in order of importance: 1) Have a super hot model for a wife, 2) $20 million dollar net worth, 3) Kids who are happy, and 4) World peace. Then judge someone's morality on how they would rank the list.

The truth is with a handful of exceptions, most Ohio State players meet your top three ranked items, but still achieve #4 and #5.

I could only count 4 items..............you must have deleted "Able to drink a case of beer in one sitting".

Irrespective of your ability to count, I agree with you point of view. Stereotypes are all too prevalent, yet wrong and hurtful.

I could only count 4 items..............you must have deleted "Able to drink a case of beer in one sitting".

Irrespective of your ability to count, I agree with you point of view. Stereotypes are all too prevalent, yet wrong and hurtful.
NJ, I think our friend Klem was referring to Realcatfan's list of priorities, which does have five items, rather than his own.

Realcatfan, there are always several problems with the type of points you bring up in your argument. First of all you assume that a NU grad can walk in and take any OSU's job, if they wanted to, but they wouldn't because a NU grad wouldn't be interested and an OSU grad wouldn't even understand what a NU grads job would entail much less be able to do it. Sure, It's a great bit of trash talk with your "state" college friends, but any reasonable mature adult can see the fallacy in that argument.

Yes, there's a huge fallacy in the argument, just like there is a fallacy that NU and OSU are not on the same playing field when it comes to football. Sure, history has shown that NU alumni are more successful post graduation. Sure, history has shown that OSU has a superior record in football and basketball and has sent more people to the NFL/NBA. I used hyperbole to make my point.

NU could drop admission standards, recruit people of poor character, hire a coach that had 1/4 of his players get arrested at his last job including a serial killer because he won 2 national titles in the process, or another coach that had been accused of major recruiting violations at his previous job. That doesn't seem like we'd be doing it the right way. OSU could increase their admission standard, recruit players of higher character, have an actual compliance department and host of other things. They don't because winning is more important.

Do most players at OSU take their education seriously, stay out of trouble, and not cheat? Sure. Would most fans take a national title with a 80% of the team not graduating? Everyone of them I've talked to would. Based on the moves by the athletic administration, they go with the fans and the money.

Terrell Pryor tried to get into the NFL supplemental draft. In order to be eligible, you have to be ineligible to play in college. As such, he pretty much gave a mea culpa to NFL of everything he did wrong. Finally the NFL, just told him to stop talking and making himself, the NFL for taking him, and the NCAA look more and more foolish. I'm trying to find the story I read on this awhile back and can't.

Maurice Clarrett wrote a whole story, it got published in a reputable magazine, and then backed off so they would let him back into school after his life fell apart. Got it!

Carlos Hyde hit a woman. While she technically hit him first and it was self-defense, c'mon, he's a heisman candidate RB and she's a 110 lbs girl. That's not exactly self defense and is in no way justifiable even if he didn't throw his best punch.

You can see in all my posts that I believe that actions and the resulting consequences are because of choices of an individual. My opposing standpoint is when there is a broad brush statement for extrapolating one or a handful of persons actions to an assumption that everyone else is doing wrong.

Regarding Pryor, he was ineligible due to the tattoos and selling off some of his personal awards. It broke rules and he paid a price. It wasn't a crime, so I do,think,it is unfair to put him on the Hernandez category.and it was entirely within his right to go to the supplemental draft.

Clarett was a messed up person when he did the ESPN story. He also claimed that OSU cared more about football than people when they wouldn't pay for him to go to the funeral of a friend. That made big news at the time too. What wasn't reported to the same degree is when the AD Andy Geiger said we would have made arrangements to go to a funeral of an immediate family member, but doing so for a friend would be a NCAA violation without special paperwork that needed to be filed. Clarett accused OSU officials of lying. He claimed illegal benefits and academic misconduct on behalf of OSU but was never able to mention names. In fact, he was very elusive when dealing with the investigators. He also filed false reports to the police and was later arrested. When he was drafted into the NFL he turned down the guaranteed signing bonus against the advice of his agent because he thought it would be better to have a contract which offered first round money if he met the in incentives. It has since been reported that Clarett has been a long time sufferer of depression and alcoholism. So to me, his credibility is suspect.

Regarding Hyde, As you mention, she hit him first and while he did take a stupidly aggressive action, it wasn't so much of a hit, but a push. Regardless he shouldn't have. That doesn't make him a Ray Rice and he had no issues before, none after, and he was punished appropriately. The suspension from the team probably cost him the Heisman, or at least the chance to be a finalist.

As far as the once again unrealistic choice you offer of 80% of the team not graduating or a National Championship... Ohio State's football team had a Graduation Success Rate of 78%, which doesn't take into account those who leave early for the pros or who transfer while in good academic standard. For example, a scholarship linebacker transferring to Harvard hurts the grad rate. So in Ohio State's case, an approximate 80% graduation rate and National Championship is quite palatable.

Reactions: SciCat
I hate this argument. It is stupid. I never bought into the 'that's alright that's ok you're going to work for us someday.' It is incredibly arrogant, isn't accurate, and is an excuse for losing football programs. I'm incredibly proud of our student athletes. Their accomplishment should be lauded, but doesn't have to be at the expense of making fun (inaccurately) of our B1G brethren. None of the B1G universities are diploma mills. They provide a good education, in a great many cases a VERY good education, and are affordable.

The difference between most of them (let's single out OSU for a minute) is that they are able to get a very small handful of select super-athletes - let's say 5 per recruiting cycle, through a combination of reputation, good recruiting, relaxed standards, and perhaps shenanigans. We are talking about maybe 20-30 football players and a few basketball players in a university of 50k. That surely dilutes any academic comparisons but generally, they graduate their players. Many of the non-graduates (early draftees for instance) make more money that we will in our lifetimes, in a short NFL stint. Therefore, they AREN'T going to work for us someday.

How's this for an idea? Graciously celebrate this laudable accomplishment and figure out how to win some meaningful football games. Sound good?

The "SAT" "SAT" "SAT" chant is just as bothersome as the employment chant ! All of Phatcat's thoughts apply imo.

and, Go Cats !!

The "SAT" "SAT" "SAT" chant is just as bothersome as the employment chant ! All of Phatcat's thoughts apply imo.
I thought the chants were cute during the dark ages. They were basically self-mocking. I agree that they have no place in modern NU Football.

Yes, there's a huge fallacy in the argument, just like there is a fallacy that NU and OSU are not on the same playing field when it comes to football. Sure, history has shown that NU alumni are more successful post graduation. Sure, history has shown that OSU has a superior record in football and basketball and has sent more people to the NFL/NBA. I used hyperbole to make my point.

NU could drop admission standards, recruit people of poor character, hire a coach that had 1/4 of his players get arrested at his last job including a serial killer because he won 2 national titles in the process, or another coach that had been accused of major recruiting violations at his previous job. That doesn't seem like we'd be doing it the right way. OSU could increase their admission standard, recruit players of higher character, have an actual compliance department and host of other things. They don't because winning is more important.

Do most players at OSU take their education seriously, stay out of trouble, and not cheat? Sure. Would most fans take a national title with a 80% of the team not graduating? Everyone of them I've talked to would. Based on the moves by the athletic administration, they go with the fans and the money.

Terrell Pryor tried to get into the NFL supplemental draft. In order to be eligible, you have to be ineligible to play in college. As such, he pretty much gave a mea culpa to NFL of everything he did wrong. Finally the NFL, just told him to stop talking and making himself, the NFL for taking him, and the NCAA look more and more foolish. I'm trying to find the story I read on this awhile back and can't.

Maurice Clarrett wrote a whole story, it got published in a reputable magazine, and then backed off so they would let him back into school after his life fell apart. Got it!

Carlos Hyde hit a woman. While she technically hit him first and it was self-defense, c'mon, he's a heisman candidate RB and she's a 110 lbs girl. That's not exactly self defense and is in no way justifiable even if he didn't throw his best punch.

Coach Meyer has probably turned more lives around than Fitz ever will coaching A-students from good homes. Their entire admissions and recruiting strategy is about avoiding kids that need strong guidance. All people hear from the media are the kids who got in trouble and never the kids coming from nothing making something of their lives at state schools.

I get a bit tired of this "moral superiority" crapola that silver-spoon NU fans like to toss around to make them feel better about themselves and their alma mater's less than championship caliber (crappy) athletic teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmndcat
I get tired of this "moral superiority" crapola that silver-spoon NU fans like to toss around to make them feel better about themselves and their alma mater's crappy athletic teams.

I throw some around with the best of them, but agree that many of us do so just to feel some faux superiority.

I throw some around with the best of them, but agree that many of us do so just to feel some faux superiority.
Not an alum, so I don't even get to feel that. It's often said, though, that it's wise to surround yourself with those smarter than yourself. For me, anyway, that's pretty easy over here. Attending various NU athletic functions - as well as meeting/bantering with many on the board, I often feel like the dumbest guy in the room . . . and invariably, I'm right. o_O.

I knew I liked most of you guys for a reason. NU's academic success and the quality of the kids who enroll as athletes or just regular students are reasons to beam with pride.

I knew I liked most of you guys for a reason. NU's academic success and the quality of the kids who enroll as athletes or just regular students are reasons to beam with pride.

However, OSU was wrong to turn their back toward known recruiting violations and improper benefits going on within their program. Tressle is a two-faced scumbag, IMO.

Fitz does a great job running a program that tries to build character through community involvement and academic achievement. But so does Jerry Kill at Minnesota and even Coach Dimbulb at Illinois (compared to his predecessor, the Zooker crock), two programs that take greater risks with kids from sketchy academic and social backgrounds.

Tressel did a lot of good for the program and student athletes. He didn't tell players to go out and commit the infractions. How he handled it once they happened however where his responsibility and he got the appropriate punishment.

It is also his fault that he allowed, and I'm sure encouraged, himself to be portrayed as this near holy figure. Like politicians, religious figures, and educators who make mistakes, the public backlash is much greater than others who find themselves in a similar situation.

I'm sure Fitz does a great job, but by nature of the type of person that can get into NU, it's an easier group with whom to work. Again, if you look at the players at OSU who come from similar backgrounds as those who attend NU, they don't get into trouble either.

When I said the right way I meant that the school and the staff has set standards that they expect the athletes to uphold.
If each school who set its own standards and hold all of their athletes to those standards it would be a vast improvement over the status quo. As it stands so many of the schools seem to have no solid set of standards.

From NUSports.com...
Northwestern Sets National Standard In NCAA Academic Progress Rate
Wildcats earn Big Ten-record 15 APR Public Recognition Awards, lead FBS with 79% of teams honored

EVANSTON, Ill. — A school-record 15 of Northwestern’s 19 varsity athletic programs received Public Recognition Awards today (May 20) as part of the NCAA Academic Progress Rate (APR) program.

NU’s 15 teams were honored for placing in the top 10 percent of their respective sports in the latest multi-year APR scores. That marks the highest total in both Northwestern and Big Ten Conference history. The Wildcats have paced the Big Ten every year since the award’s inception in 2004-05.

“The ability of our young men and women to continually raise the bar when it comes to academic achievement is nothing short of remarkable,” said Jim Phillips, vice-president for athletics & recreation. “This is a tremendous compliment to our student-athletes, who have a relentless commitment to pursuing the best education in college athletics while simultaneously competing at the highest level in the Big Ten Conference.

“Our responsibility to provide the tools necessary for success would not be possible without tremendous leadership from University President Morty Schapiro and Provost Dan Linzer, as well as our academic support staff,” said Phillips. “Today is a proud day in our ongoing mission to provide our nearly 500 student-athletes with a world-class experience academically, socially and athletically."

Northwestern ranks as the FBS school with the highest percentage of its teams awarded today. Notre Dame is the second highest at 65 percent with Stanford (61%), Duke (58%), and Minnesota (56%) rounding out the top five in that elite group. The most recent APRs are multi-year rates based on scores from the 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14 academic years.

This year, Northwestern boasts the second-highest percentage (79 percent) of its teams topping the APR list in the nation, according to the NCAA. Only Dartmouth ranked higher, while the ’Cats came in ahead of Lafayette College and Gonzaga. Those are the only four schools that saw three-fourths of their teams making the list.

Only seven Big Ten teams have been honored with Public Recognition Awards in each of the first 10 years that they have been awarded and five of those programs are from Northwestern. NU’s men’s soccer, men’s tennis, wrestling, women’s golf and volleyball teams are proud members of the 10-for-10 club.

Joining the five teams mentioned above, Northwestern’s baseball, field hockey, football, men’s golf, softball, women’s basketball, cross country, women’s soccer, women’s swimming and diving and women’s tennis teams received Public Recognition Awards.

Each year, the NCAA honors selected Division I sports teams by publicly recognizing their latest multiyear NCAA Division I Academic Progress Rate (APR). This announcement is part of the overall Division I academic reform effort and is intended to highlight teams that demonstrate a commitment to academic progress and retention of student-athletes by achieving the top APRs within their respective sports. Specifically, these teams posted multiyear APRs in the top 10 percent of all squads in each sport. This year's release will again include recognition in the sport of football by subdivision (i.e., Football Bowl Subdivision and NCAA Football Championship Subdivision).

The APR provides a real-time look at a team's academic success each semester by tracking the academic progress of each student-athlete on scholarship. The APR accounts for eligibility, retention and graduation and provides a measure of each team's academic performance.
Multiyear APRs for all Division I sports teams, including the teams receiving public recognition, will be announced May 27.

SB Nation is reporting that Wisconsin has the highest ranked football team APR in the Big Ten. What is NU's FB rank?

SB Nation is reporting that Wisconsin has the highest ranked football team APR in the Big Ten. What is NU's FB rank?
Wisconsin was number one in the country for 2015 with a score of 998. Northwestern and Duke tied for second with a score of 992. Michigan was fourth at 990, so Big Ten had three of the top for spots

Jacktheco, there are standards at a every school. They're called minimum standards and they differ at every school. There is also some wiggle room for those who can bring something else to the table, such as athletic skill.

Sure it's easy to point the finger at a perennial top 10 program at a state University, but NU does it as well when comparing football players to the general school population of the school.

While any student at NU is a good student, you can't tell me that there are some players who if they tried to get admitted on academics alone, would fall in their admission ranking below some regular student applicants who don't get admitted because of lack of admission slots available.

If it was academics alone that dictated NU players scholarship availability, I'm sure,that there is a highschool senior QB out there with a higher GPA and SAT than men you are offering, but he stands 5'9" with an average arm. Or a 5'10" linebacker, a running back who runs a 4.7 forty, or a 5'11" 215 LB guard. None of them get Wildcat offers.

It's never only about academics. The willingness of coaches to take in guys who are borderline on their ability to be accepted, is directly proportionate to what value they bring to the team.

Jacktheco, there are standards at a every school. They're called minimum standards and they differ at every school. There is also some wiggle room for those who can bring something else to the table, such as athletic skill.

Sure it's easy to point the finger at a perennial top 10 program at a state University, but NU does it as well when comparing football players to the general school population of the school.

While any student at NU is a good student, you can't tell me that there are some players who if they tried to get admitted on academics alone, would fall in their admission ranking below some regular student applicants who don't get admitted because of lack of admission slots available.

If it was academics alone that dictated NU players scholarship availability, I'm sure,that there is a highschool senior QB out there with a higher GPA and SAT than men you are offering, but he stands 5'9" with an average arm. Or a 5'10" linebacker, a running back who runs a 4.7 forty, or a 5'11" 215 LB guard. None of them get Wildcat offers.

It's never only about academics. The willingness of coaches to take in guys who are borderline on their ability to be accepted, is directly proportionate to what value they bring to the team.
Comparing NU admissions to duh ohio state is a joke. TSIC admits football players with the lowest GPA standards allowed by the NCAA and still need to send their players to summer school to take courses in Aids Awareness and Theory's of Basketball and to keep them eligible. You really can't believe the crap you have expressed in this thread, can you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT