ADVERTISEMENT

NU sets national standard in APR

Jacktheco, there are standards at a every school. They're called minimum standards and they differ at every school. There is also some wiggle room for those who can bring something else to the table, such as athletic skill.

Sure it's easy to point the finger at a perennial top 10 program at a state University, but NU does it as well when comparing football players to the general school population of the school.

While any student at NU is a good student, you can't tell me that there are some players who if they tried to get admitted on academics alone, would fall in their admission ranking below some regular student applicants who don't get admitted because of lack of admission slots available.

If it was academics alone that dictated NU players scholarship availability, I'm sure,that there is a highschool senior QB out there with a higher GPA and SAT than men you are offering, but he stands 5'9" with an average arm. Or a 5'10" linebacker, a running back who runs a 4.7 forty, or a 5'11" 215 LB guard. None of them get Wildcat offers.

It's never only about academics. The willingness of coaches to take in guys who are borderline on their ability to be accepted, is directly proportionate to what value they bring to the team.
This issue cuts both ways. I know former players whose academic credentials where below that of the those who where not athletes. However because of their background and character and other considerations they where admitted. With support and hard work they succeeded both academically and in life after college.

I feel all schools have an obligation to give these young athletes an opportunity to succeed beyond sports.

I do believe what I post. I compared the admission standards of both schools as having different objectives. One is to only admit the academic elite,the other is broader giving more students the ability to pursue an education appropriate to the level of their academic ability. That goes for both the student athlete and general student population.

And while it is easy for some of you to creat biased statements, OSU doesn't accept the lowest GPA standards allowed by the NCAA in practice. For a school like OSU that has trouble staying within the scholarship limit, it makes little sense in having a large portion of players who are at a high academic risk. In other words, they don't need to do so.

And I always love the references to Aids Awareness and Golf Class (not basketball- we do want to remain accurate in these discussions). First of all it is a reference that is now 18 years old. Secondly, Katzenmoyer was never ineligible, but after not doing as well in class as a true freshman starter on a National Championship contending team, he took some classes over the Summer, over the Summer, over the Summer, when he was not required to take classes to create a margin of error going into the next season. He didn't take those classes during the regular school year. That was a very responsible and NCAA legal action on his behalf.

As far as NU players who have "considerations" that override academic rankings and ratings? It's called "They are pretty good football players".

Finally, I agree that all schools should provide an opportunity for the athletes to exceed beyond sports. They are given that opportunity at the so-called football schools, but whether they take it is up to the individual. The other difference is that OSU gives students the opportunity to pursue an education that Northwestern won't. Nothing wrong with either, just different.

I do believe what I post. I compared the admission standards of both schools as having different objectives. One is to only admit the academic elite,the other is broader giving more students the ability to pursue an education appropriate to the level of their academic ability. That goes for both the student athlete and general student population.

And while it is easy for some of you to creat biased statements, OSU doesn't accept the lowest GPA standards allowed by the NCAA in practice. For a school like OSU that has trouble staying within the scholarship limit, it makes little sense in having a large portion of players who are at a high academic risk. In other words, they don't need to do so.

And I always love the references to Aids Awareness and Golf Class (not basketball- we do want to remain accurate in these discussions). First of all it is a reference that is now 18 years old. Secondly, Katzenmoyer was never ineligible, but after not doing as well in class as a true freshman starter on a National Championship contending team, he took some classes over the Summer, over the Summer, over the Summer, when he was not required to take classes to create a margin of error going into the next season. He didn't take those classes during the regular school year. That was a very responsible and NCAA legal action on his behalf.

As far as NU players who have "considerations" that override academic rankings and ratings? It's called "They are pretty good football players".

Finally, I agree that all schools should provide an opportunity for the athletes to exceed beyond sports. They are given that opportunity at the so-called football schools, but whether they take it is up to the individual. The other difference is that OSU gives students the opportunity to pursue an education that Northwestern won't. Nothing wrong with either, just different.
OK Klem, we will just have to believe you that osu brings in kids into the FB program who have very high SAT's and GPA's. But could you enlighten us how taking Aids Awareness and Golf in SUMMER school helps him when he takes real classes, not those in SUMMER school, help him academically, other then to keep him eligible.

I love the take that people like you have on my posts Willycat. It's ironic that a lowly OSU grad like me brings reason to the discussion. First of all I didn't say or imply that OSU only brings in kids with high SAT's and GPA's. They do bring some of those kids in, but they also bring in kids who meet the standards at a minimum level. And most of those kids once under the structure of the coaches, advisors, and the desire to be on the football team, do fine.

I didn't say that The Aids Awareness class taken by a student athlete over the Summer 17 years ago would help him when he took real classes. As stated I said that such an activity would help keep him eligible. That's not enough to do so if he had completely ignored his academics (keep in mind that he wasn't ineligible at the time he took those classes), but enough if he faltered in a class. Again, a very proactive, responsible and NCAA legal approach to a potential problem. A problem that in the end never occurred.

I love the take that people like you have on my posts Willycat. It's ironic that a lowly OSU grad like me brings reason to the discussion. First of all I didn't say or imply that OSU only brings in kids with high SAT's and GPA's. They do bring some of those kids in, but they also bring in kids who meet the standards at a minimum level. And most of those kids once under the structure of the coaches, advisors, and the desire to be on the football team, do fine.

I didn't say that The Aids Awareness class taken by a student athlete over the Summer 17 years ago would help him when he took real classes. As stated I said that such an activity would help keep him eligible. That's not enough to do so if he had completely ignored his academics (keep in mind that he wasn't ineligible at the time he took those classes), but enough if he faltered in a class. Again, a very proactive, responsible and NCAA legal approach to a potential problem. A problem that in the end never occurred.
So Klem, please explain why the hell did he take a class in Aids Awareness?

He took the Aids Awarenss Class (assuming he was aware of Aids), because it was an easy credit and I would guess and easy grade.

The reason he took a class that offered and easy credit and grade was because he was coming off his true freshman year where he found himself a starting Middle Linebacker on a National Championship contending team and the responsibilities that go with such a position, in addition of being away from home and taking college classes for the first time. Based on Katzenmoyer's own admission, he didn't respond and adjust as well as he could.

I'll say one more time, he was never ineligible. He didn't take these classes during the regular school year. They were Summer Classes that he took so that he could create a cushion in case he struggled with a class in the Fall.

Thanks for allowing me to discuss the controversial academics of a freshman 17 years ago, who did eventually graduate.Maybe we can have a similar discussion about a player in 2032.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT