ADVERTISEMENT

Official NU-Illinois State Second Half Thread

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I thought I'd start one for the second half because the first one was so long. (And that's a good thing.)

I'll start with this: Illinois State has outgained NU 217 to 127, and -- in a very bad continuing trend -- had the ball for 19:51, almost double NU's TOP.

I don't have any answers, folks. Just questions.

We're going to be lucky to get to two wins if this keeps up. Incredible turnaround - I think a lot of us vastly underestimated the quality of Lowry and Gibson up front. I can't remember a time when two players made such a difference.

Reactions: beetlemania74
Watching our OL, they are slow and unathletic. Did they just lift in the offseason and not work on footspeed and flexibility? On that first down run, both our center and guard whiffed on their blocks and fell on their faces.

The OL is complacent and poorly coached. Poor recruiting and injuries have left us with no depth and competition. I could play better than Olsen right now but they have no one to put in to replace him.

I actually agree with wrassler right now. Our best bet is to spread them out and go fast tempo. Thorson can pick them apart if our OL can give him a few seconds. Their D will tire out of we can string a couple of drives together.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Watching our OL, they are slow and unathletic. Did they just lift in the offseason and not work on footspeed and flexibility? On that first down run, both our center and guard whiffed on their blocks and fell on their faces.

We need to fire the guy coaching the O lineman or the guy recruiting them or both.

The OL is complacent and poorly coached. Poor recruiting and injuries have left us with no depth and competition. I could play better than Olsen right now but they have no one to put in to replace him.

I actually agree with wrassler right now. Our best bet is to spread them out and go fast tempo. Thorson can pick them apart if our OL can give him a few seconds. Their D will tire out of we can string a couple of drives together.

I think our OL, head coach and star LB were on the same strength and conditioning plan. They all look lethargic, over fed.

Last edited:
Watching that punt end up on the 2 yard line when it was catchable on the 20, and the rest of this mess, I just want to say, this is simply unwatchable. I will be surprised at this point if we have 4 wins this year. This team is

we can't even fake them out with play action from our 1. This is embarassing

We need to fire the guy coaching the O lineman or the guy recruiting them or both.

No coach is assigned to recruit all OL. Nor does the OL coach get ultimate say in who gets a scholie offer.

They have consistently failed to land top prospects. Hegarty, Eiflein, Walsh, Voltz, and so on and so on.

And like Gladeskat said, we could have had Karras and let him go to Illinois.

We're going to be lucky to get to two wins if this keeps up. Incredible turnaround - I think a lot of us vastly underestimated the quality of Lowry and Gibson up front. I can't remember a time when two players made such a difference.

What about the offense? You have noticed that we are no better than last year. Thorson might look a little more assured but we have no push and pass pro is terrible. We might as well not have an OL at all.

don't even trust our FG kicker on a 38 yarder.

I would have kicked that just to build some confidence that we can score.

I feel like these sudden bouts of aggressive gambles show how desperate Fitz is.

Frankly it is scaring me a little bit. Since when was he like this? Maybe 2006?

Admitted the o-line is not opening lanes and has consistently underperformed. But Thorson has time. Do we ever try Matt Alviti? Can he really be worse than Zero points against Illinois State?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT