ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Free Agents

Relentless workers? Are you kidding me? Machado in particular has made no bones about not believing in being a hustle player. He is a dog, low character player who has been a cancer on every team he has played on. Putting this in NU terms, Machado would be the type of high talent/low character player that FItz would not recruit to NU but Lovie would recruit to Illinois. The White Sox would be making a huge mistake to sign that guy as a cornerstone of their franchise, particularly with all the young impressionable young players they have coming up through their system.

I feel less strongly about Harper. My main beef with him is his inability to deliver and lead in the clutch. He is just not the guy I would pick to lead my team.

If you'd like me to send screen shots to people in the industry, both players and coaches, who have worked with Machado, they'll all say he's a great teammate and hard worker. LMK

Relentless workers? Are you kidding me? Machado in particular has made no bones about not believing in being a hustle player. He is a dog, low character player who has been a cancer on every team he has played on. Putting this in NU terms, Machado would be the type of high talent/low character player that FItz would not recruit to NU but Lovie would recruit to Illinois. The White Sox would be making a huge mistake to sign that guy as a cornerstone of their franchise, particularly with all the young impressionable young players they have coming up through their system.

I feel less strongly about Harper. My main beef with him is his inability to deliver and lead in the clutch. He is just not the guy I would pick to lead my team.

Machado said he's not a fake hustle guy. You're taking what he said literally.

Adam Eaton, for instance, is widely hated in every clubhouse he's in but comes off as some media darling for his hustle and work ethic. You're just taking what he said at its most literal translation. He works his ass off to be great and he is

If you'd like me to send screen shots to people in the industry, both players and coaches, who have worked with Machado, they'll all say he's a great teammate and hard worker. LMK

Ok, good luck with that. As a Cubs fan, I really hope the Sox sign him because they will soon regret it. As a father of two young Sox fans, I hope this is all a marketing ruse because signing Machado to a mega contract would doom by kids to a decade of baseball season misery.

Ok, good luck with that. As a Cubs fan, I really hope the Sox sign him because they will soon regret it. As a father of two young Sox fans, I hope this is all a marketing ruse because signing Machado to a mega contract would doom by kids to a decade of baseball season misery.

"Let's act like we're gonna go hard after Machado or Harper this offseason then not actually do it, that'll make the already pissed off fanbase happy!"

Great marketing tactic

Machado said he's not a fake hustle guy. You're taking what he said literally.

Adam Eaton, for instance, is widely hated in every clubhouse he's in but comes off as some media darling for his hustle and work ethic. You're just taking what he said at its most literal translation. He works his ass off to be great and he is

Playing 100% all the time is not fake hustle in my book. Running out pop ups at full speed is not fake hustle in my book. Admiring a ball you think is a home run only to find out it turns into a single rather than a double or triple is not fake hustle in my book. As a dad of two fairly good travel baseball level players, i’ve only spent their entire lives drilling into them that there is a right way to play and a losers way to play. Machado is a loser blessed with a lot of physical talent. The lukewarm interest in him is a reflection of that assessment.

"Let's act like we're gonna go hard after Machado or Harper this offseason then not actually do it, that'll make the already pissed off fanbase happy!"

Great marketing tactic

I didn’t say that it was a good tactic. In this case, I am hoping it is the better of two bad options. This is a Jerry Reinsdorf owned team after all. Have you seen the shit show that is the Bulls lately? Jerry isn’t going to have a HBS case study written on his sports management acumen any time soon.

Playing 100% all the time is not fake hustle in my book. Running out pop ups at full speed is not fake hustle in my book. Admiring a ball you think is a home run only to find out it turns into a single rather than a double or triple is not fake hustle in my book. As a dad of two fairly good travel baseball level players, i’ve only spent their entire lives drilling into them that there is a right way to play and a losers way to play. Machado is a loser blessed with a lot of physical talent. The lukewarm interest in him is a reflection of that assessment.

Lukewarm interest in him is because of the market factors I posted above.

Also I think we can all agree Javy Baez plays his ass off but he's pimped out balls he thought were gone too, only to find them turn into singles. Same with Contreras who also plays his ass off.

And comparing your coaching methods to your young travel ball sons to Manny Machado does nothing for your argument

Don't. The Machado stuff people have spewed since he didn't run hard on national TV is sports-radio-caller-level crap.

Ah, America 2019! Catch the fever!

No, I am citing my opinion and supporting it with the only fact that really matters. It’s a fact that despite having significant resources, no team has come even remotely close to offering either of these players a “market value” along the lines of what had been forecast by some. The reason is that neither of them is worth that kind of money.

No, I am citing my opinion and supporting it with the only fact that really matters. It’s a fact that despite having significant resources, no team has come even remotely close to offering either of these players a “market value” along the lines of what had been forecast by some. The reason is that neither of them is worth that kind of money.

ERRR wrong again. You're "fact that really matters" is nothing more than poor opinion.

They're worth what teams are offering them.

Or if the billionaire owners would agree to make half their profits the cash would be there for FA's.

I am of the opinion that if we get to the point where there is so much money in a sport where we are arguing whether it’s less worse for a player to get a $350MM contract or for a billionaire owner to make a few more million more a year , then something has gone terribly wrong. basketball is in a similar situation when there is so much money in a sport that bench warmers or minor roll players who barely see the floor are getting 8+ million a year. If it has gotten to that point, how about the players and the owners agree to give fans a break. How about we make it so that a family of 4 doesn’t have to drop $400-$500 to go to a baseball/basketball game? How about the TV contracts are structured in a way that enable ESPN to function viably? They will kill the golden goose if they keep going at this pace.

Nope. Different teams have different positional needs, different financial situations, etc.

The White Sox timed their rebuild targeting this free agent class in particular(Kershaw, Jose Fernandez, Harper, Machado, Corbin, were all at one point going to be free agents this year) by shedding payroll and accruing prospect capital. That's why the Sox are "in" on these two players. Same with Philly and maybe SD.

The Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and other "rich" teams now have a CBT that they have to deal with that acts as an ipso facto salary cap. Sure they can bust through it if they choose, but they won't because of the overage taxes and eventual loss of draft picks if they are over it for 3+. Gone are the days of the Yankees and Red Sox buying the best players every offseason.

So you take the "rich" teams out, as well as the "poor teams" like Tampa Bay, Oakland, etc. as well as teams just starting their rebuild process like Seattle, Cleveland and others and you are left with the publicly known suitors for these teams, Sox, Philly and maybe SD. Why would Seattle, for instance, drop $300MM+ on Harper knowing they aren't ever going to win with him? Again, it's supple/demand.

If you argued that they're not signing crazy deals because baseball is f*cked heading into a new CBA then you'd be dead on. Arguing that teams don't view these players as building blocks because of their attitude or leadership is FAR from correct.

The Yankees discussed financial parameters with Machado and Lozano, but they wanted him at their price because they're going to have 4-5 guys that are up for long term extension in the coming years. Same with the Cubs with Baez, Bryant, Rizzo eventually, etc.

The White Sox have the ONLY official offer for either of these two on the table right now for Machado. Harper doesn't have an official offer. Machado is rightfully sitting on it, as he would do if the Sox had 10/$300MM on the table for him. If he has an offer banked, why sign immediately? Why not ride it out and see if another team bids it up? And the Sox won't move from the current offer they have on the table for him right now because they'd just be outbidding themselves. That'd be really, really bad negotiation on their end.

That's what's happening right now, and that's why there's a big stand still with these two. And this is before even mentioning neither Lozano or Boras want their client signing first.
This is a very important point:
"The Yankees discussed financial parameters with Machado and Lozano, but they wanted him at their price because they're going to have 4-5 guys that are up for long term extension in the coming years. Same with the Cubs with Baez, Bryant, Rizzo eventually, etc."
Would Cubs' fans rather have Rizzo, Bryant, Contreras, Hendricks, and Baez or Harper? I think for most of us, this is a no brainer. Teams are becoming more aware of the need to keep their best players if they can, not only to be competitive, but also because roster stability breeds greater fan interest and support.

Reactions: corbi296
ERRR wrong again. You're "fact that really matters" is nothing more than poor opinion.

They're worth what teams are offering them.

Err wrong again. I didn’t say I was their baseball coach. I am their life coach and the direction I gave them how about how to play the game as winners are lessons that apply to every aspect of their lives. No one taught Machado those lessons and his career clearly shows that.

"The Yankees discussed financial parameters with Machado and Lozano, but they wanted him at their price because they're going to have 4-5 guys that are up for long term extension in the coming years. Same with the Cubs with Baez, Bryant, Rizzo eventually, etc."
Would Cubs' fans rather have Rizzo, Bryant, Cotreras, Hendricks, and Baez or Harper? I think for most of us, this is a no brainer. Teams are becoming more aware of the need to keep their best players if they can, not only to be competitive, but also because roster stability breeds greater fan interest and support.

If they signed Harper, they would not lose every player you just listed. There would certainly be sacrifice in 1, or potentially more of those guys, but it wouldn’t dictate that much. And if it was between signing him or KB, I think you can make an argument either way. KB is going to cost a very pretty penny eventually, probably in same ballpark as Bryce. If you’d forego multiple pieces you mentioned there to pay him what he wants, I’d also say that’s respectable.

Would Cubs' fans rather have Rizzo, Bryant, Contreras, Hendricks, and Baez or Harper? I think for most of us, this is a no brainer. Teams are becoming more aware of the need to keep their best players if they can, not only to be competitive, but also because roster stability breeds greater fan interest and support.

If they are unwilling to sign Machado or Harper because this step would deprive them of the resources to sign their own players, isn’t this an indirect acknowledgement that they value those players more than Machado/Harper? In my view the answer is pretty clearly yes.

Don't. The Machado stuff people have spewed since he didn't run hard on national TV is sports-radio-caller-level crap.

That wasn’t an isolated incident. Machado played like that throughout his career with the Orioles. He just isn’t a winning player. If I recall correctly, you and I had a similar disagreement over jay Cutler? Similar situations. Character and attitude matter a lot in team sports. At NU, FItz calls it “fit”. Call it whatever you want but guys like Machado and Cutler are cancers to sports teams.

That wasn’t an isolated incident. Machado played like that throughout his career with the Orioles. He just isn’t a winning player. If I recall correctly, you and I had a similar disagreement over jay Cutler? Similar situations. Character and attitude matter a lot in team sports. At NU, FItz calls it “fit”. Call it whatever you want but guys like Machado and Cutler are cancers to sports teams.

And Trout is?

Nah.... yeesh was last year. This year its more like..... meh. This is a big step up from yeesh.
This was put up on Fangraphs a few days ago:

The other factor that has bedeviled Cincinnati’s rebuild is the inability to develop pitching from the fairly impressive group of arms that they acquired in recent years. The Reds had hoped to have at least a few solid, mid-rotation arms from the list of Anthony DeSclafani, Brandon Finnegan, Cody Reed, Keury Mella, Tyler Mahle, Amir Garrett, Sal Romano, and Robert Stephenson by this point. While the book’s not closed on this group, the team still don’t have a single healthy, dependable, mid-rotation-or-better starting pitcher.

Gray and Wood would be nice additions on a team with a few top notch starters, but no depth (see the Braves, or maybe the Giants), but on the Reds these guys will be counted on for a lot of quality innings. But when you are coming off 67 wins, anything helps.

Ok, I understand your point.

This is not about being liked, this is about being respected. Ideally a leader is liked and respected but i’ve seen many instances where succesful teams/companies were led by people who were reapected but not necessarily liked. I’ve never seen a successful team/company led by someone who was liked but not respected.

Reactions: NUCat320
I grew up liking the Cubs first and the Sox second, and I really hope the Sox sign Machado.

Put that in your pipe, @Fitz51.

I believe he was responding to corbi, who made a point of Machado not being "a winning player." The same could be said of Trout, if one is only talking about "winning."

Machado doesn’t exhibit the personal characteristics and habits of a player that is a leader on a winning team. That shouldn’t be interpreted to mean that one player on his own can will a team to win if he has these characteristics. These are team games and you need more than one player to win championships. On the other hand, one bad apple, particularly when it is your best and most highly paid player, can be the reason why another wise good team does not win a championship.

Machado doesn’t exhibit the personal characteristics and habits of a player that is a leader on a winning team. That shouldn’t be interpreted to mean that one player on his own can will a team to win if he has these characteristics. These are team games and you need more than one player to win championships. On the other hand, one bad apple, particularly when it is your best and most highly paid player, can be the reason why another wise good team does not win a championship.

Except that's just what you watch on TV. You don't know how his teammates, coaches, etc. view him. You assume that he's a "bad seed" because of a few dirty plays, but he's loved by teammates. I know this for fact. He's undoubtedly pulled dirty moves on the field, but nobody cares what the opposition thinks.

Also - he's played 155+ games every season other than 2014 where he got hurt. He sure is lazy though

Machado doesn’t exhibit the personal characteristics and habits of a player that is a leader on a winning team.

I'll say this: I have no personal or even knows-someone-who-knows-someone knowledge of Manny Machado or his characteristics or habits. I see only the little bit we see on TV plus whatever media has come out about him over the years. I'm *pretty* sure you also don't have any, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Except that's just what you watch on TV. You don't know how his teammates, coaches, etc. view him. You assume that he's a "bad seed" because of a few dirty plays, but he's loved by teammates. I know this for fact. He's undoubtedly pulled dirty moves on the field, but nobody cares what the opposition thinks.

Also - he's played 155+ games every season other than 2014 where he got hurt. He sure is lazy though

I also am an avid reader and consumer of baseball news and the Machado is a cancer view is not new. My view of him as a player is reinforced by what I have seen of him on TV and in person over the course of several seasons.

Once again, I’ll reiterate there is a difference between being liked and being respected. A leader doesn’t have to be liked, but he has to be respected. Machado is not a leader and shouldn’t expect to be paid like one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT