ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Remembering 75 years ago aboard the USS Missouri as WWII ended

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Some years ago Tom Brokaw was a graduation speaker at Northwestern. Prior to his 2004 address he had published his book that made famous the reference to "The Greatest Generation" to describe those who brought peace to the world through their efforts in winning World War II and then going on to contribute to the country to which they returned and for which we are all beneficiaries. He challenged the Northwestern graduates to emulate those of that "Greatest Generation."

The below pictured USS Missouri was the site of the signing of the document that ended World War II on September 2, 1945. Japanese officials boarded the ship as it was moored in Tokyo Harbor on that date.

Yesterday, September 2, 2020 the Secretary of Defense Mark Esper joined by Hawaii's Governor David Ige, Admiral Davidson and a number of World War II veterans joined together on the deck of USS Missouri, now moored in Pearl Harbor, to commemorate the 75th anniversary of that historic event. The ceremonies and speeches from each were accompanied by a flyover parade of World War II aircraft known as "The War Birds" that had gathered in Hawaii for the occasion.

In listening to those speeches repeated references were made to "The Greatest Generation."

Pictured below are my photos taken of the USS Missouri at the end of this past year.

IMG_4490.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4324.jpg

Adding to the above, here is a unique photo I was able to take deep below deck within the USS Missouri on a special tour that allowed access to restricted portions of the USS Missouri. The location is designated "Broadway" and is a corridor that extends from one end of the ship to the other with an overhead rail from which munitions and other heavy items can be hung and transported.

The location as pictured was used as a set for the movie "Pearl Harbor" in a scene as the bombs fell on the USS Arizona during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Reportedly the producers paid over a million dollars to have asbestos removed prior to the filming so they could shoot the scene. The same location was also used for an interior battleship scene in a recent Godzilla film.

DSC_0079-3.jpg

And here is a screen shot of the above described scene shot in the "Broadway Corridor" of the USS Missouri from the movie "Pearl Harbor." (Note the included movie "blooper" that I identified after taking the still. screen shot. On the left is a piece of movie making equipment (likely a light box) that failed to get edited out.)

DSC_0728.jpg

Last edited:
There were only 4 Iowa Class battleships ever built, with the Missouri being the most famous . The New Jersey was active till 1990 but after the USS Iowa gun turret exploded in1989 (?) the decision to deactivate these ships was made, although 2 remained on the registry for a few more years

Iowa class battleships' 16" guns could fire a 2500 pound projectile 23 miles. There are films somewhere of the New Jersey firing all weapons simultaneously-truly an impressive volley

All Iowa class battleships are now maritime museums. The New Jersey dominates the Delaware riverfront in Camden NJ and is a worthwhile visit. The Missouri is in Pearl Harbor and I think the Iowa is in L.A. and the Wisconsin in Norfolk

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
OK, I just located my freeze-frame still of the previously referenced battleship scene in a recent Godzilla movie that was filmed in the same "Broadway" corridor location deep under the deck of the Battleship Missouri.

utf-8DSCN1274_zpsed5a1e1a.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT