ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Spencer

We need bodies desperately. He’s only playing for a year. This seems fine I suppose. Not sure what else CCC was supposed to do given that he’s been blocked by admissions at every turn.

Still hope we land Cormac Ryan and look to 2020.

Reactions: IGNORE
They need to loosen admissions a little. Would make recruiting a little easier

It’s done at other academic institutions and there has not been undue thuggery or problems ( see Duke, Vanderbilt)

Reactions: willycat
There haven't been undue problems at Vanderbilt?

Whether its the swimmer from Stanford or countless rape charges on fraternity members or normal students in universities across the country from various degrees of pedigree. I dont think there is a gpa cut off to avoid rape.
I trust CCC and Fitz to choose high character men. A guy with work ethic and good morals should be given an opportunity even if he falls a little short of the cut off requirements.

Reactions: IGNORE
We need bodies desperately. He’s only playing for a year. This seems fine I suppose. Not sure what else CCC was supposed to do given that he’s been blocked by admissions at every turn.

Who was blocked by admissions?

Still hope we land Cormac Ryan and look to 2020.

I rate this as equivalent to the unranked Belgian player that llinois just signed sight unseen to fill one of its two (and possibly three) open schollies. Either CC and Brad Underwood know something that everyone else doesn't, or else both of these are major crapshoots...

That kid played for the Belgian national team. Lots of video on him if you want to see his skill. He is 6-7, 220 and made 40% of his threes last year. Averaged 16 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists.

Antigua has international connections and they recommended this kid. Illinois kept the recruitment quiet and signed him as Michigan, Washington State and Stanford came in with late offers. I don’t think it is a legit comparison to a lacrosse player. Not saying the lacrosse player might not be good, but Bosman-Verdonk is an experienced international basketball player.

Doubters were laughing at Underwood taking Giorgi this time last year. Giorgi averaged 8 points and 2 rebounds at his prep school. Look at him now.

Reactions: Gladeskat and NJCat
That kid played for the Belgian national team. Lots of video on him if you want to see his skill. He is 6-7, 220 and made 40% of his threes last year. Averaged 16 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists.

Antigua has international connections and they recommended this kid. Illinois kept the recruitment quiet and signed him as Michigan, Washington State and Stanford came in with late offers. I don’t think it is a legit comparison to a lacrosse player. Not saying the lacrosse player might not be good, but Bosman-Verdonk is an experienced international basketball player.

Doubters were laughing at Underwood taking Giorgi this time last year. Giorgi averaged 8 points and 2 rebounds at his prep school. Look at him now.
Doubters? The Illini fans themselves were bemoaning the recruitment of Giorgio. Now some of them act like they knew all along.

I saw the video on him a week or two ago....may be the best recruit thus far for Underwood at U of I....very fluid and powerful

Except he was drafted #7 and not #1 despite winning player of year which suggests to me that he’s not a freak athlete for Lax. But that between the legs dunk was eye-opening! Maybe he’ll bring a winning attitude and toughness to the team as well.

Just thought I'd try to help a little with Spencer. He was the Zion of lacrosse if we actually want to compare him to a basketball player. He's a great athlete who is also happens to be very physical. He dropped to #7 in the draft for a couple of reasons with the first reason being that he wanted to play basketball in college before going pro which scared teams away from drafting him. The second reason was that he is very likely to choose to play in the PLL, where he was chosen first, in a year so that also scared all of the MLL teams away from drafting him which resulted in him being picked seventh

Reactions: DaCat
Just thought I'd try to help a little with Spencer. He was the Zion of lacrosse if we actually want to compare him to a basketball player. He's a great athlete who is also happens to be very physical. He dropped to #7 in the draft for a couple of reasons with the first reason being that he wanted to play basketball in college before going pro which scared teams away from drafting him. The second reason was that he is very likely to choose to play in the PLL, where he was chosen first, in a year so that also scared all of the MLL teams away from drafting him which resulted in him being picked seventh

Thanks. I realized some of that after I read about MLL. But he does look like a sick athlete. And bringing a winner’s mentality will be key, cause this team has played a little timid last year. Other than Gaines.

Uh, link to those late offers? Giorgi was a ranked player who BU saw in person. This is an unranked player that no one on your staff has seen in person. And those tapes? Let"s just say I could play better D than some of his opponents. And even his stats have been called into question on some fan message boards. If he is not a total flyer, I don't know who is....

I saw the video on him a week or two ago....may be the best recruit thus far for Underwood at U of I....very fluid and powerful
We must have seen different videos-- the ones I saw featured some of the worst competition I had ever seen on a basketball court. And I think if CC had recruited a kid sight unseen from YouTube highlights, he would have been roasted on this board, and rightly so.

I don’t expect much from next year. But thereafter...
Really don't have a clue about his BB skills or where they will fit but he did get NU some good publicity , when the Trib. had a front page sport section story on him.

Really don't have a clue about his BB skills or where they will fit but he did get NU some good publicity , when the Trib. had a front page sport section story on him.
Yeah, was a fairly big story on ESPN as well.

We must have seen different videos-- the ones I saw featured some of the worst competition I had ever seen on a basketball court. And I think if CC had recruited a kid sight unseen from YouTube highlights, he would have been roasted on this board, and rightly so.

I watched the video in which he played against the U.S. national team

I watched the video in which he played against the U.S. national team
Link? Was it the U16 team?

EDIT: n/m that is the main video in the committment stories. Don't think that is the US National team, or else someone would had mentioned that in their reporting. If it is, our national teams have gotten absolutely horrendous on defense....

Last edited:
Well.... there was a day not too long ago where we would get excited if one of our recruits could dunk. At least CCC has improved things to where dunking is not so mysterious in Evanston.
Or rebounding!

Prediction time. Mark my words. Pat Spencer will be our starting PG. And he will lead us to the postseason, and help redefine what it means to be a Wildcat. Bank on it.

Reactions: lunker35
Bookmark.

Cue the xyzbob memorial Rivals Search functionality.

Hold me to it. I just hope this prediction turns out better than my predictions of greatness (at NU) for Edward T. McCants (he ended up being great, but for someone else) and Johnnie Vassar. Every blind squirrel eventually finds a nut. I'm due!

Hold me to it. I just hope this prediction turns out better than my predictions of greatness (at NU) for Edward T. McCants (he ended up being great, but for someone else) and Johnnie Vassar. Every blind squirrel eventually finds a nut. I'm due!

I'm with you. It's so incredibly boring to read NU fans as they spread their negative sports data intellect like peacocks showing their tail feathers.

This team will surprise. Will start out crappy, struggle early in the Big Ten, and then as guys settle into their abilities will make a run.

It'll be a team other schools do not want to play in February/March.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT