ADVERTISEMENT

Random Doug Collins qoute..

RhabdoWildcat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2009
While congratulating his colleague Avery Johnson's new job as Alabama's head coach, he stated "Northwestern is NOT coming down to Tuscaloosa to play you." Any history behind this statement?

Go 'Cats!

You make me ponder something else. Who is Doug Collins to be making a statement like that? In what way does he represent NU? What exactly is his role with this program?

He's the Father of the NU Head Coach, and takes pride in what his son is trying to accomplish. He supports his son and the school 100%. What is your beef with that? Geez..............

There is nothing wrong with being a father or taking pride in one's son.

Making a statement that we are not going down to Tuscaloosa to play Bama smacks of relationship more than that. I have no beef with it. I'm just wondering if there is something more to Doug's role with the program than what you describe.

Originally posted by EvanstonCat:
You make me ponder something else. Who is Doug Collins to be making a statement like that? In what way does he represent NU? What exactly is his role with this program?
He's the Coach Emeritus. I'm sure Doug knows enough about talking to the media that he didn't cross any lines. The guys been doing it for 40+ years

Or maybe, just maybe, he meant it as an offhand comment in jest and didn't mean to imply that he represents NU in any way.

I know we're supposed to "love" Doug Collins, but I see him as the guy who decided Nic Vucevic couldn't play a lick and that the Sixers desperately needed Andrew Bynum.

I'm a fan of CHRIS Collins, but if Doug can stay away or not "speak for the program" I'd be even happier. Chris Collins does a fantastic job on his own.

I, too, think that well-regarded NBA coach and broadcaster should stay away from our program. Traditionally, Northwestern has no connections whatsoever with the NBA, and we shouldn't start now!

olshin, I actually think it's a big plus that Doug hangs around the program. You don't really think that Brian James would be in Evanston if not for his association with Doug Collins, do you?

Fair point willycat.

Just saying he helped start the tankathon here in Philly with brutal personnel decisions.

Styre, why not? Traditionally NU is also a program that has never been to the NCAA Tournament

Originally posted by willycat:

Styre, why not? Traditionally NU is also a program that has never been to the NCAA Tournament
I think perhaps you have missed his sarcasm.

If I had to guess, it's nothing more than "you're a really good coach and we're not about to come down there and take you on, because we don't want you to whoop up on us". Simple praise for a member of the NBA coaching fraternity, I really wouldn't look into it any more than that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT