ADVERTISEMENT

Rapolas Ivanauskas transferring from NU

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Wow. Here's the release...

EVANSTON, Ill. -- Northwestern redshirt first-year forward Rapolas Ivanauskas has been granted his request for a full release to seek educational and basketball opportunities at another university.

He will remain enrolled at Northwestern through the remainder of the 2017-18 academic year.

“We wish Rapolas nothing but the best in his future endeavors,” Sullivan-Ubben head men’s basketball coach Chris Collins said. “Though he has been extremely unlucky with injuries during his two years in Evanston, we’re hopeful that he’ll still be able to go on and have a great playing career. We thank him for all he has done to represent our program.”

“My time here at Northwestern has been filled with nothing but blessings,” Ivanauskas said. “I am extremely grateful to the coaching staff, my teammates, and the community for making Northwestern the world-class institution that it is. Although to further pursue my aspirations for basketball, I will be transferring to another university. I am nothing but thankful to all those who have made Northwestern the place that it is, unforgettable.”

A native of Barrington, Illinois, Ivanauskas was slowed by injuries during his time at Northwestern. After redshirting the 2016-17 campaign, he was limited to three appearances in a reserve role this past season before undergoing a second consecutive season-ending surgery.

I don't know how to respond. This was supposed to be Lumpkin's replacement. How does transferring help him I don't know? Maybe he saw a hard road towards playing time. Just kind of get a hallow feeling about this news.

Hard road to playing time? Who on this roster is standing in front of him?

Falzon and Nance right off the top.

Rap was a four-star recruit who has experienced two season-ending surgeries and played in just three games in two years (all early this year). That’s crushing to the development of a college player and puts him way behind his teammates, even if they’re younger. He basically hasn’t played since he was at Brewster Academy in 2016 — he barely even got a chance to practice in his career at NU.

We’ll see where he ends up. If he goes to a mid-major or smaller school, it’s a signal that he may never again be the player he was coming into NU and just didn’t see a path to playing time with the Cats.

I wish him the best. Rap is a good kid who has had a TON of bad luck. I feel for him.

supposed to be a good student.....he could go to an Ivy and get two degrees

He's redshirted two years and has four years of eligibility....so he needs to sit another, third, year before he plays?

I wish him the best of luck.

I believe that if he transfers down a division he could play immediately. That's what I'd do if I'd already sat for two years.

Good luck to Rap, we hardly knew you. An Ivy League team may be a good fit for him.

Best of luck to Rap- seems like a good kid and despite injuries, you could always tell he was very into the game and a great/supportive teammate. Truly wish him nothing but the best in both basketball and life.

That being said, from a purely basketball perspective, I had gotten to the point where I wasn't really counting on much from him this year or moving forward. Perhaps that was unfair since he didn't really have any chance to prove himself due to injuries, but that's where I was at with him as a player. He needed to develop his game and body (as most freshman do) when he came here, and hasn't really had any opportunity to do that due to injuries. And two season ending injuries in a row is a bad sign...Again, maybe I was/am off base, but my expectations for him as a contributor really were non-existent at this point, so I don't see this as a negative from a purely basketball perspective.

Should be interesting to see what this means with transfers though...

Best of luck to Rap- seems like a good kid and despite injuries, you could always tell he was very into the game and a great/supportive teammate. Truly wish him nothing but the best in both basketball and life.

That being said, from a purely basketball perspective, I had gotten to the point where I wasn't really counting on much from him this year or moving forward. Perhaps that was unfair since he didn't really have any chance to prove himself due to injuries, but that's where I was at with him as a player. He needed to develop his game and body (as most freshman do) when he came here, and hasn't really had any opportunity to do that due to injuries. And two season ending injuries in a row is a bad sign...Again, maybe I was/am off base, but my expectations for him as a contributor really were non-existent at this point, so I don't see this as a negative from a purely basketball perspective.

Should be interesting to see what this means with transfers though...

Agree with you. He was nowhere near a Big Ten player last year. NOT HIS FAULT. Just an unfortunate set of circumstances. Wish him the best.

We really need this incoming class to be special ...

We really need the 2019 class to be special. The CCC window of opportunity is already starting to close. 2019 is a make or break recruiting year. Book it.

GOUNUII

Illini guy here - what happened with this guy? I rmr him and always thought he'd be solid stretch 5 in the Michigan mold

i tried to tell you guys to not plan for him. he sat for 2 years of competitive basketball - to come back and try compete at a big ten level is really difficult, especially for a guy who was ranked highly on potential very rock solid skill and ability

best wishes to him but this is hardly a surprise

i tried to tell you guys to not plan for him. he sat for 2 years of competitive basketball - to come back and try compete at a big ten level is really difficult, especially for a guy who was ranked highly on potential very rock solid skill and ability

Yup, I saw his exit but had thought medical retirement.

Well, cupboard looking pretty bare. Couple of empty schollies, only 3 guards and but one that can handle the ball. I hope we get some transfers...

Yup, I saw his exit but had thought medical retirement.

Well, cupboard looking pretty bare. Couple of empty schollies, only 3 guards and but one that can handle the ball. I hope we get some transfers...

Now, are you saying Ash can't handle the ball? Looks like someone's table may be ready over here....

Now, are you saying Ash can't handle the ball? Looks like someone's table may be ready over here....
I love Ash, but we need help in the backcourt. We need three guys back there that can play at Ash’s level or better. I think Lathon, from his video,may be one guy, who can also break the press and can pass the ball. Since, Ash may have had surgery,and may not be ready, we need two more guards at his level. Collins needs to get the two best point guards available and sign them with the Brown and Rap scholarships. Just sayin!

Anyone know if Dartmouth transfer Boudreaux (now Purdue) would have been in
play if Rap info was known earlier? Should I assume CC has eyes on specific transfer
candidates or would we currently be in a bit of "scramble mode". Should I also assume
this was a result of standard end of season exit meeting or was Rap in need of change
of scenery?

Anyone know if Dartmouth transfer Boudreaux (now Purdue) would have been in
play if Rap info was known earlier? Should I assume CC has eyes on specific transfer
candidates or would we currently be in a bit of "scramble mode". Should I also assume
this was a result of standard end of season exit meeting or was Rap in need of change
of scenery?
Everyone knows what happens when you assume.

Rap simply wasn't good enough to play at a competitive level in the Big Ten.

Hope he finds a school/conference more suitable for his academics and skill set.

You could tell he enjoyed being a part of the program with how he cheered from the bench. Wish nothing but the best for this young man.

Reactions: LansingCat
Hey Kelly,
Is Bryant looking to play in Europe. It’s too bad how his senior season transpired but I hope he fares well in whatever he opts to do

did you mean to write "versus"

Reactions: haywood jahblowme

3 Guards. That's it. One injury = 2 guards. Two injuries...

Ash will play alot next year unless CCC brings in two talented G transfers - I will not hold my breath. Question is, how much will Malnati be forced into action?

Ash will play alot next year unless CCC brings in two talented G transfers - I will not hold my breath. Question is, how much will Malnati be forced into action?

Lathon isn't being brought in to sit on the bench. He's going to play heavy minutes, question being if he's up for it physically and mentally.

Lathon isn't being brought in to sit on the bench. He's going to play heavy minutes, question being if he's up for it physically and mentally.

Absolutely right. I expect CCC to give Lathon the keys on Day 1, just like he did for McIntosh. Lathon is his guy, period.

Absolutely right. I expect CCC to give Lathon the keys on Day 1, just like he did for McIntosh. Lathon is his guy, period.

Which is a heavy bet. Of course, being human, we can learn from our mistakes. Remind me: how did Mac do as the season wore on during his freshman year? Or maybe a realistic belief is Lathon is super Mac, but slipped through the cracks and got missed by the big boys... Oh, and what happens if Lathon gets hurt. Sure, it never happens at NU (Falzon, RI, Pardon, Olah, Tre, even the walk ons...)

Sounds like a perfect plan. Place all eggs in 3 guard roster led by true frosh Lathon. If it works, mark my words, I will vanquish from discussions forever and guzzle a pitcher of that purple crap. But if not, and this is the plan, then I will take the first spot on the CCC has to go train. Because I think this is the dumbest idea ever at a HS level, and for a Power 5, B1G team...completely ridiculous.

Who isn’t going to get heavy minutes? 11 guys on schollie, 4 freshman, only 3 guards, only 2 ballhandlers. Hope nobody gets hurt (especially a season ender) and that nobody sucks...again. Hope that freshman wall thing is just a media excuse - cuz we have never seen it at NU...

Who isn’t going to get heavy minutes? 11 guys on schollie, 4 freshman, only 3 guards, only 2 ballhandlers. Hope nobody gets hurt (especially a season ender) and that nobody sucks...again. Hope that freshman wall thing is just a media excuse - cuz we have never seen it at NU...

The troll is strong with this one.

Reactions: LansingCat
Ah think the next basketball season is like 8 months away. Want to bet that there will more than 11 players on schlorship next season?

Which is a heavy bet. Of course, being human, we can learn from our mistakes. Remind me: how did Mac do as the season wore on during his freshman year? Or maybe a realistic belief is Lathon is super Mac, but slipped through the cracks and got missed by the big boys... Oh, and what happens if Lathon gets hurt. Sure, it never happens at NU (Falzon, RI, Pardon, Olah, Tre, even the walk ons...)

Sounds like a perfect plan. Place all eggs in 3 guard roster led by true frosh Lathon. If it works, mark my words, I will vanquish from discussions forever and guzzle a pitcher of that purple crap. But if not, and this is the plan, then I will take the first spot on the CCC has to go train. Because I think this is the dumbest idea ever at a HS level, and for a Power 5, B1G team...completely ridiculous.

Dumbest idea ever? It worked with BMac, didn’t it? He’s the all-time assists leader and led NU to the Promised Land. So it already worked once. And just because Lathon is the starter doesn’t mean he won’t have a backup or two. He’s gonna go through some growing pains on the fly next year, but it’ll pay dividends in the long run.

Collins is recruiting four-star, Rivals150 kids. He didn’t land them to sit on the bench. Lathon, Kopp and Nance are gonna play. A lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT