ADVERTISEMENT

Rapolas Ivanauskas transferring from NU

Dumbest idea ever? It worked with BMac, didn’t it? He’s the all-time assists leader and led NU to the Promised Land. So it already worked once. And just because Lathon is the starter doesn’t mean he won’t have a backup or two. He’s gonna go through some growing pains on the fly next year, but it’ll pay dividends in the long run.

Collins is recruiting four-star, Rivals150 kids. He didn’t land them to sit on the bench. Lathon, Kopp and Nance are gonna play. A lot.
I have a feeling one of the two is going to be a player from Europe or out of the country because the so-called recruiting site have no information. I think the replacement of Ivanauskas will be some sort of a big guy and there will be a fifth year guard for the other spot. Don’t worry Collins and his guys have there ducks in order on this deal.

Reactions: scru and IGNORE2
I have a feeling one of the two is going to be a player from Europe or out of the country because the so-called recruiting site have no information. I think the replacement of Ivanauskas will be some sort of a big guy and there will be a fifth year guard for the other spot. Don’t worry Collins and his guys have there ducks in order on this deal.

If we get a guy from Croatia, I’m deleting my account

Which is a heavy bet. Of course, being human, we can learn from our mistakes. Remind me: how did Mac do as the season wore on during his freshman year? Or maybe a realistic belief is Lathon is super Mac, but slipped through the cracks and got missed by the big boys... Oh, and what happens if Lathon gets hurt. Sure, it never happens at NU (Falzon, RI, Pardon, Olah, Tre, even the walk ons...)

Sounds like a perfect plan. Place all eggs in 3 guard roster led by true frosh Lathon. If it works, mark my words, I will vanquish from discussions forever and guzzle a pitcher of that purple crap. But if not, and this is the plan, then I will take the first spot on the CCC has to go train. Because I think this is the dumbest idea ever at a HS level, and for a Power 5, B1G team...completely ridiculous.
A realistic belief on Lathon (as high ranked as he is) is he can run our offense effectively. Will it be Bmac levels junior senior year now? No that's not a realistic belive. Bmac freshman year? A little optimistic for me but not unrealistic. Not quite as good as freshman Bmac offensively but still enough to run the O as a starting B1G guard. I also expect him to be a slight minus defensively early. We might not notice that until we play a tough non con team because his athletism should help him recover minor errors against weaker competition. The become solid to maybe a plus by the end of the year.

We don't need Lathon to be a super Mac. He shouldn't, assuming what I said on the "Rebuilding Year" thread, need to carry the load that offensively Bmac did. He will just need to be able to get the ball to pardon in the post (which is a reasonable expectation of any lead guard) and handle the ball well enough to bring the ball up the court and break the press. (Another reasonable expectation of any respectable leaf guard).

Defense we should expect him to show potential and improve as the year goes on. Also I think it would reasonable to expect him to struggle against older stronger guards because he hasn't had multiple off-seasons in a college weightroom. Also guards that quick as he won't have as much time to recover and position and footwork becomes more important.

Last edited:
Dumbest idea ever? It worked with BMac, didn’t it? He’s the all-time assists leader and led NU to the Promised Land. So it already worked once. And just because Lathon is the starter doesn’t mean he won’t have a backup or two. He’s gonna go through some growing pains on the fly next year, but it’ll pay dividends in the long run.

Collins is recruiting four-star, Rivals150 kids. He didn’t land them to sit on the bench. Lathon, Kopp and Nance are gonna play. A lot.

Like with walker, time will tell. Let’s save this discussion til Xmas. Hopefully Haywood is right again and hopefully ccc gets another G worth anything in the program and make are disagreement mute. But if not, one of us will eat crow.

A realistic belief on Lanthon (as high ranked as he is) is he can run our offense effectively. Will it be Bmac levels junior senior year now? No that's not a realistic belive. Bmac freshman year? A little optimistic for me but not unrealistic. Not quite as good as freshman Bmac offensively but still enough to run the O as a starting B1G guard. I also expect him to be a slight minus defensively early. We might not notice that until we play a tough non con team because his athletism should help him recover minor errors against weaker competition. The become solid to maybe a plus by the end of the year.

We don't need Lanthon to be a super Mac. He shouldn't, assuming what I said on the "Rebuilding Year" thread, need to carry the load that offensively Bmac did. He will just need to be able to get the ball to pardon in the post (which is a reasonable expectation of any lead guard) and handle the ball well enough to bring the ball up the court and break the press. (Another reasonable expectation of any respectable leaf guard).

Defense we should expect him to show potential and improve as the year goes on. Also I think it would reasonable to expect him to struggle against older stronger guards because he hasn't had multiple off-seasons in a college weightroom. Also guards that quick as he won't have as much time to recover and position and footwork becomes more important.

Thank you for the rational response. What everyone here forgets is Mac was used heavy in year one and two and ran out of gas, big time, especially year one. So is Lathon simply going to be immune? Even if Lathon can match frosh Mac in skills and not get hurt, how does he play heavy minutes and survive a B1G season plus post season? Someone please explain? Is Ash the answer? If so, you might want to unignore wrassler cuz you are thinking the same.

This program needs a legit experienced backup LG. We have learned playing a true frosh at heavy minutes destroys legs for the second half. The evolved coach has a guy that can take a lot of minutes early in the season and let Lathon grow into minutes as his legs and development allows. That coach, with the rest of the known personnel, has more than an ‘if and could’ chance to see the Dance next year.

Thank you for the rational response. What everyone here forgets is Mac was used heavy in year one and two and ran out of gas, big time, especially year one. So is Lathon simply going to be immune? Even if Lathon can match frosh Mac in skills and not get hurt, how does he play heavy minutes and survive a B1G season plus post season? Someone please explain? Is Ash the answer? If so, you might want to unignore wrassler cuz you are thinking the same.

This program needs a legit experienced backup LG. We have learned playing a true frosh at heavy minutes destroys legs for the second half. The evolved coach has a guy that can take a lot of minutes early in the season and let Lathon grow into minutes as his legs and development allows. That coach, with the rest of the known personnel, has more than an ‘if and could’ chance to see the Dance next year.
He stays healthy and survives because of the lessened workload offensively. He probably won't be able to and shouldn't have to carry us offensively. Also if we get a grad transfer guard with on of our open scholarships theres a player that can spell him for more than the 1-7 min Ash can. Might not like it and we always want a more experienced guard but we all gotta start from somewhere. I am fully expected him to get around 25-30something min a game without a transfer. With a transfer and/or Ash develops a lot more offensively and a little more defensively I could see it lowered 20-28 min with him getting sat when he makes his freshman mistakes for a couple min.

A realistic belief on Lanthon (as high ranked as he is) is he can run our offense effectively. Will it be Bmac levels junior senior year now? No that's not a realistic belive. Bmac freshman year? A little optimistic for me but not unrealistic. Not quite as good as freshman Bmac offensively but still enough to run the O as a starting B1G guard. I also expect him to be a slight minus defensively early. We might not notice that until we play a tough non con team because his athletism should help him recover minor errors against weaker competition. The become solid to maybe a plus by the end of the year.

We don't need Lanthon to be a super Mac. He shouldn't, assuming what I said on the "Rebuilding Year" thread, need to carry the load that offensively Bmac did. He will just need to be able to get the ball to pardon in the post (which is a reasonable expectation of any lead guard) and handle the ball well enough to bring the ball up the court and break the press. (Another reasonable expectation of any respectable leaf guard).

I’m not sure what your argument is. At first, it seemed like you were against starting Lathon and letting him lead the team as a true freshman. Now, it seems to be more about having a backup. I think Collins will let Lathon lead the team, but he’ll also try to get him a backup, preferably an experienced transfer. He’s got Ash, who can spell him for limited minutes, and I’m sure he’d like to add another point. Just because Lathon is the starter doesn’t mean he has to play 38 minutes a game until he wears out.

This kid, (Lathon not Lanthon) is way more athletic than B-Mac, and will start from day one.

This kid, (Lathon not Lanthon) is way more athletic than B-Mac, and will start from day one.
Completely agree. He is way more athletic which is why I expect more defensively out of him. Bmac has a special IQ and vision you can't teach so I'm expecting him to have that offensively is all I was saying.

Appoligize for misspelling once I do it oncey phone autocorrects it to that if it's not in the dictionary like names and stuff.

And I fixed it

I just looked at espn stats. Mac was overrated. He had 75 turnovers last year. Ash had just as good shooting percentage and was much, much tougher on defense. If Ash is healthy, I expect both Jordan Ash and Jordan Lathon to start from day one. Stilll, we need at least one, if not two more guards. People think I have a man crush for Ash bu that is not the case. If we can bring in a four star, blue chipper,besides Lathon, then let those two start. The real key next year is Vic Law! We need him healthy.

I just looked at espn stats. Mac was overrated. He had 75 turnovers last year. Ash had just as good shooting percentage and was much, much tougher on defense. If Ash is healthy, I expect both Jordan Ash and Jordan Lathon to start from day one. Stilll, we need at least one, if not two more guards. People think I have a man crush for Ash bu that is not the case. If we can bring in a four star, blue chipper,besides Lathon, then let those two start. The real key next year is Vic Law! We need him healthy.
Who stole wrassler's screen name? This is the most cogent post I can recall.....Dang!!!!!

So it's just some kind of performance art situation? That makes it even more annoying.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Who was our last PG that could dunk in traffic, or two-handed?

B Mac has some serious hops but like the original Isiah Thomas chose to not dunk in games.

yes - there are distinct targets

No clue about any kind of interest or even his style of play, but this guy could make sense based on his stat line (18.7 PPG) and location (originally from Wauconda, transferred to South Dakota from Air Force).

http://www.goyotes.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9473

https://www.midmajormadness.com/201...ke-daum-college-basketball-coyotes-sdsu-jacks

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-academy-bullying-tl-0420-20150421-story.html

Reactions: freewillie07
Considering the amount of injuries Rap dealt with during his time at NU, his situation wasn't as simple as that.

I was really uncomfortable with that post. I am saddened anytime someone departs NU before leaving their degree. If Kelly’s post is correct...then the fault lies entirely with Coach Collins. If Kelly’s post is incorrect, then it is inappropriate and mean-spirited to say that about a player who was injured for the two years on campus. Just my opinion.

I was really uncomfortable with that post. I am saddened anytime someone departs NU before leaving their degree. If Kelly’s post is correct...then the fault lies entirely with Coach Collins. If Kelly’s post is incorrect, then it is inappropriate and mean-spirited to say that about a player who was injured for the two years on campus. Just my opinion.
He requested a transfer. Leave it alone.

Oh, please. He was injured most of last year and played anyway. Even so he had a 2-1 Assist to turnover margin while Ash was only 1.4 to 1. We will likely miss him a lot next year no matter how good Lathon turns out to be during his career

Last edited:
I just looked at espn stats. Mac was overrated. He had 75 turnovers last year. Ash had just as good shooting percentage and was much, much tougher on defense. If Ash is healthy, I expect both Jordan Ash and Jordan Lathon to start from day one. Stilll, we need at least one, if not two more guards. People think I have a man crush for Ash bu that is not the case. If we can bring in a four star, blue chipper,besides Lathon, then let those two start. The real key next year is Vic Law! We need him healthy. The O did not work as well with ASH in the lineup as it did with BMAC

I believe that if he transfers down a division he could play immediately. That's what I'd do if I'd already sat for two years.
That was my thought and that is why I recommended our staff at UCSD check him out. I found out they were already looking at him. UC San Diego is Div II transitioning to Div I and just was accepted into the Big West Conference. We’re an excellent academic school and could be a good fit if Rap wants to play in a nice climate. I hope he is able to heal up and continue playing somewhere.

Sad to see Rap go (was a great teammate); had high hopes for the kid, but wasn't meant to be.

Remind me: how did Mac do as the season wore on during his freshman year? Or maybe a realistic belief is Lathon is super Mac, but slipped through the cracks and got missed by the big boys... Oh, and what happens if Lathon gets hurt. Sure, it never happens at NU (Falzon, RI, Pardon, Olah, Tre, even the walk ons...)

Lathon seems to me to be more of a super(sized) Juice.

A realistic belief on Lathon (as high ranked as he is) is he can run our offense effectively. Will it be Bmac levels junior senior year now? No that's not a realistic belive. Bmac freshman year? A little optimistic for me but not unrealistic. Not quite as good as freshman Bmac offensively but still enough to run the O as a starting B1G guard.

Again, the program has had pretty good success w/ frosh PGs leading the way - from TJ Parker to Juice to BMac - and as much flack that Sobo got, he had a pretty good frosh season and was a stabilizing force at the position.

But yes, would like to see another guard who can handle the ball and distribute.

Sad to see Rap go (was a great teammate); had high hopes for the kid, but wasn't meant to be.

Lathon seems to me to be more of a super(sized) Juice.

Again, the program has had pretty good success w/ frosh PGs leading the way - from TJ Parker to Juice to BMac - and as much flack that Sobo got, he had a pretty good frosh season and was a stabilizing force at the position.

But yes, would like to see another guard who can handle the ball and distribute.
In no way was a saying we can't be successful with Lathon. I believe we can with be a tournament team if he meets what I said and a few other things I said in other threads happen. I just think it's not fair to expect him to be a big contributer for 30+ min a game as a frosh.

I fully agree on Sobo he was a great player and attitude for our program and was better suited for the previous coaches playstyle. Had a very promising freshman campaign. He helped Bmac get the ball up the court against the press. He also seems just to be a safe experienced calm player when he was brought in his senior year. (Not saying Sobo was a world beater just glad he wore an NU uniform)

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT