ADVERTISEMENT

Regarding Pete Nance

Don’t you remember? Geez, the athletic department puts in all this effort to make you a proud alum and you can’t even remember? They might as well just throw garbage on the court.

You realize that in anything other than a Covid year, Nance would be out of eligibility? He played 4 years and graduated from NU. Not the end of the world for him to want to do his bonus year somewhere else. I know after I got my NU degree I couldn't wait to get the heck of of Evanston and see someplace new.

Where did you go to grad school?

A lot of Carolina fans out there are talking about Nance as a replacement for Brady Manek. Not sure if he’s actually on their radar, but it would be a pretty good fit and he’d be on a legit contender.
Manek plays hard, Nance does not.

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
NU, of course. But I worked in Charlotte, NC for 3 years between my Masters and Ph.D. Had money in the bank and a blue Toyota Celica when I returned to Evanston.

I did the same thing, except I worked 6 years before going back to school. The difference is I had peanuts in the bank and a beat-up Toyota pickup when I returned to Pitt. Plankton and bug work pay planktonic salaries.

If you had commercialized your CH3 discovery you might be richer than a Bitcoin billionaire by now.

I chose what's behind door #2. By doing so I apparently became an enemy to America. Still waiting for the payoff.

Reactions: eastbaycat99
The Athletic has a top #100 prospects. It won't match the draft, it won't be the top #60 will be drafted as it depends on team's needs and this is based on potential, I think.

It's behind a paywall:

PBJ is #20
Christie is #40
Nance is not on the list

Pete will either:
1) Go back to school allowing himself more exposure and the chance of raising his profile. Might even collect some NIL money, not that I feel it would play a big role here
2) Go through the motions of not getting drafted, doing summer league, pray a minor miracle happens. Followed by a decision of quitting basketball, go to the G League or go overseas
3) Hope for another minor miracle that the G League or overseas channels will allow him a shot in the future. Does not happen much

If it were me I'd go with #1. It's a chance of being in the draft conversation next year. #2 and #3 will be there in a year anyway.

Unfortunately, none of this involves NU as a good option. Other than an irrational attachment to a school he has given enough to, it's not a good option.
He ain’t coming back! He will turn pro for sure!

Looks like Pete has withdrawn from the draft and is still in the portal, and there’s some Twitter buzz that he may end up at Gonzaga. Would have to think that would be dependent on what happens with Drew Timme.

I hope he loses to NU in the national championship game, unless he goes to Illinois, which seems unlikely.

Regarding the newfound buzz he might end up at Gonzaga, depending on what Timme does, don't do it Pete:

1) Despite rosters that are fully loaded, one could argue, on average, the best roster of the past 10 years in college basketball, they come up short. They load the non conference schedule, as they should. But, after that, they don't face tough competition every night. Even with uber talented players, it's hard to overcome not being used to elite competition every week. It does not prepare you nearly as well as other conferences. It's a big mountain to overcome. For a shot at a national title, UNC is a better bet

2) The Gonzaga player has not turned out to be an overachiever at the pro level. Who is the most successful pro out of Gonzaga this century? Sabonis?

3) Having said this maybe there is a case to be made that the NBA over values the Gonzaga player.

Just saw Timme is returning to Gonzaga. UNC making more and more sense
And this would set up the Ryan Young vs Pete Nance wars, when Duke plays North Carolina.

"Former teammates who rarely played together, Young and Nance know each other well, based on the thousands of hours spent scrimmaging against each other at Northwestern... We can only assume that the two did not get along..."

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
from tarheelblog.com

"One player Carolina fans should pay attention to is Northwestern stretch four Pete Nance."

bold text added for emphasis...
There are other considerations for sure, but I think the #1 reason you won't see Nance back in purple is exactly the stretch 4 issue.

He has reasons to feel resentful he was used as a 5. It did not help his prospects. At all.

There are other considerations for sure, but I think the #1 reason you won't see Nance back in purple is exactly the stretch 4 issue.

He has reasons to feel resentful he was used as a 5. It did not help his prospects. At all.
Honestly if Nance’s name was Kiddelhopper no one would be talking about his pro prospects. This NBA pro narrative is derived from being related to the Larry Nance’s. He may get a cup of coffee, but is he better than Vic Law? Nance will be a pro player, but it won’t be in the NBA unless UNC or whatever school unlocks something that just hasn’t been shown.

Reactions: The Purple Knight
Michigan would be an interesting landing spot for Pete. Wasn’t he considering them coming out of high school? Their two freshmen studs from last year stayed in the draft, so they could use a stretch four.

Honestly if Nance’s name was Kiddelhopper no one would be talking about his pro prospects. This NBA pro narrative is derived from being related to the Larry Nance’s. He may get a cup of coffee, but is he better than Vic Law? Nance will be a pro player, but it won’t be in the NBA unless UNC or whatever school unlocks something that just hasn’t been shown.
This is one of the more accurate comments about Pete. I am so glad he was a wildcat. But he is a soft stretch 4. If he’s a better free throw shooter I think we would have one or two more games. I think he missed a couple late ft in big ten games.

when you look at nba 4s. They don’t look like Pete Nance.

id I’ve for him to play for me more year in purple and take us to the promised land. Sadly. I don’t expect it to happen.

Thing is - look beyond Nance. He could have been an ambassador. He could have been a success story for the recruiting trail.

But in the least, he won’t be much of anything in the history beyond a highly regarded recruit. At worse, he’s a prime example of why not to join NU MBB - because if you have even a chance of NBA, they will kill it. Instead of developing you, they will mismanage you.

So doesn’t matter if he is making a statement by leaving, his departure is thunderous.

Very true. Vic Law is twice the player Pete Nance is. His dad and brother were good players, Pete is nothing special. The gene pool has run its course in the Nance family.

Thing is - look beyond Nance. He could have been an ambassador. He could have been a success story for the recruiting trail.

But in the least, he won’t be much of anything in the history beyond a highly regarded recruit. At worse, he’s a prime example of why not to join NU MBB - because if you have even a chance of NBA, they will kill it. Instead of developing you, they will mismanage you.

So doesn’t matter if he is making a statement by leaving, his departure is thunderous.
I disagree. I’d say he grew significantly at Northwestern. He did not play big time competition in high school. Needed to develop some toughness and intensity in college in addition to his skills.
Collins put him in many pick and roll opportunities.

Nance freshman year to senior year are completely different players. He developed a lot of solid skills and fundamentals at NU. Help defense became a massive + to his game. That wasn’t the case freshman year.

Law and Nance were/are the closest to NBA talent has had during the Collins era. Neither were ever gonna be 1st rnd talents regardless what development they went through with 4 years of college. Nance still might get himself to a 2nd pick. Dude was developmental recruit. Still has a more of a ceiling to hit as player. Probably will hit his stride as a player 24-28. Law probably was never gonna be drafted.

Reactions: SDakaGordie
I think Nance is a similar talent to Law, and will probably have a similar pro career.

I think Nance would have probably been *better off* as a Klugenhorn.

His skinny 6’9 frame would have probably been pushed into AAU ball, and probably would have played at a solid high school program. He probably wouldn’t been given four stars based on genetics, and he probably would have had to earn himself on the court as a freshman, instead of getting minutes because of his rating.

Nance is a great player who was held back by his coach. I’m excited to see him on a bigger stage.

The Pete Nance / Vic Law comparison is interesting.
I have to agree with ThatkidfromHolland, who described Nance's growth as a player at NU. His shooting and floor presence improved fairly noticeably.

Nance and Law were used differently by Collins. Nance was a significantly better shooter and scorer than Law. Law's motor ran hotter and he was a tougher player, a better defender in general, although Nance, being 3" taller, was the (somewhat) better rebounder.

As seniors against the Big Ten

Player2pt%3pt%Pts/40Rebs/40Asst/40Stl/40
Law39.530.114.97.73.51.2
Nance48.646.219.68.43.20.3

The Pete Nance / Vic Law comparison is interesting.
I have to agree with ThatkidfromHolland, who described Nance's growth as a player at NU. His shooting and floor presence improved fairly noticeably.

Nance and Law were used differently by Collins. Nance was a significantly better shooter and scorer than Law. Law's motor ran hotter and he was a tougher player, a better defender in general, although Nance, being 3" taller, was the (somewhat) better rebounder.

As seniors against the Big Ten

Player2pt%3pt%Pts/40Rebs/40Asst/40Stl/40
Law39.530.114.97.73.51.2
Nance48.646.219.68.43.20.3
Yeah.... I don't think this is an apt comparison either. I think Nance is much more skilled and has more size than Law. I don't think Nance will be a superstar, but I could see him catching on somewhere in the NBA someday.

The view from other fanbases continues to sting...

"As a versatile 4-man, Nance should be target 1, 2 and 3 for Juwan Howard and Michigan. He fits into Michigan's lineup perfectly and pairing him with Hunter Dickinson would immediately give U-M the best duo of bigs in the Big Ten."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT