ADVERTISEMENT

Regarding Pete Nance

I know people think "If they graduate, I'm okay with them leaving" but when guys like Nance and Skowronek and Brandon Joseph leave because they need to showcase themselves for the pros, it's a massive indictment on the state of the program. We're in for a world of hurt in both revenue sports, like 2001 bad.
It will make it less painful when college sports as we know it collapses entirely in the next few years!

(Always look on the bright side of life....)

It will make it less painful when college sports as we know it collapses entirely in the next few years!

Laughing to keep from crying.

I said last fall that NIL and the portal were going to kill our mediocre program; surprisingly some on here disagreed. In the last few months we've seen NIL cost us our top recruit, and the portal cost us our best player, as well as a team leader in Ryan Young.

We're a mid-major now.

Reactions: The Purple Knight

I said last fall that NIL and the portal were going to kill our mediocre program; surprisingly some on here disagreed. In the last few months we've seen NIL cost us our top recruit, and the portal cost us our best player, as well as a team leader in Ryan Young.

We're a mid-major now.
You realize that in anything other than a Covid year, Nance would be out of eligibility? He played 4 years and graduated from NU. Not the end of the world for him to want to do his bonus year somewhere else. I know after I got my NU degree I couldn't wait to get the heck of of Evanston and see someplace new.

We're a mid-major now.
We’ll always have Salt Lake City.

You realize that in anything other than a Covid year, Nance would be out of eligibility?
It doesn't matter whether he transfers with a degree or not. When your best player says "After four years, I no longer want to be a part of the program -- I'd rather stay in college and play somewhere else" it's massive. Bottom line, Pete Nance -- the face of the program -- neither feels that he can win at NU, nor that playing for NU can get him to pros. That's brutal.

• Sad
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

We're a mid-major now.
We are a mid major because we choose to be a mid major.

It doesn't matter whether he transfers with a degree or not. When your best player says "After four years, I no longer want to be a part of the program -- I'd rather stay in college and play somewhere else" it's massive. Bottom line, Pete Nance -- the face of the program -- neither feels that he can win at NU, nor that playing for NU can get him to pros. That's brutal.
He right!

Young was surprising. With Nance I just don't see how another season at NU would bring him closer to his goal of being a well-paid professional basketball player somewhere.

... I can’t believe more people didn’t leave.
Shhh, don't say it so loud. I'm sure there's still open schollies around the country.

As an aside, here's last week's list of D1s who didn't have a player transfer out of their program:

Duke
Miami
Notre Dame
St. John’s
Villanova
Minnesota
Rutgers
Kansas
Arizona
Gonzaga
Tulane
Cal Poly
Hawaii
Long Island
Army
A&M-Corpus Christi
Nicholls State
Grambling

Shhh, don't say it so loud. I'm sure there's still open schollies around the country.

As an aside, here's last week's list of D1s who didn't have a player transfer out of their program:

Duke
Miami
Notre Dame
St. John’s
Villanova
Minnesota
Rutgers
Kansas
Arizona
Gonzaga
Tulane
Cal Poly
Hawaii
Long Island
Army
A&M-Corpus Christi
Nicholls State
Grambling
Army? It's a little difficult to leave West Point voluntarily! Who wants somebody from AMCC, NICHOLLS, GRAMBLING, LIU,OR CAL POLY? Great winners like Kansas, G Zags, AZ, Nova, Duke, or ND don't usually have transfers. Miami has a NIL Problem brewing. Leave Hawaii, are you nuts? So I don't think the list is any true measure of the portal. Aren't there 300+ D1 classified programs?

Duke -Michael Sevarino
Miami
Notre Dame - Elijah Morgan, Elijah Taylor
St. John’s - Artemios Gavillas, Jalen Rosemond
Villanova - Bryan Antoine
Minnesota
Rutgers
Kansas
Arizona - Kim Aiken, Shane Nowell, Will Reeves
Gonzaga - Will graves
Tulane - DeVon Baker
Cal Poly - David Esparza
Hawaii - Brock Heffner, Jaka Pfsomething
Long Island - Devon Nicholson
Army
A&M-Corpus Christi - Donovan Ray
Nicholls State - Jon'Qarius Magee
Grambling - David Lovable
Updated as of today......I think the Duke kid is K's grandson or something.

Duke -Michael Sevarino
Miami
Minnesota
Rutgers
Kansas
Gonzaga - Will graves
Tulane - DeVon Baker
Cal Poly - David Esparza
Army

Last edited:
The funny thing is last year basically the entire Minnesota team transferred out, so year to year the results vary.

College sports?! We'll have other things to worry about in the next few years when the nukes start flying

Well, Minnesota did let Richard Pitino go away in March of 2021...
A bunch of players transferred rather than stick around for the new coach, I suppose.
If I were a Minnesota fan, I'd be enthused that the new guy, Ben Johnson, is consistently upbeat about his team and doesn't like to make excuses for losses.

If nobody left after his first year at the helm, thats a positive development.

Updated as of today......I think the Duke kid is K's grandson or something.

Duke -Michael Sevarino
Miami
Minnesota
Rutgers
Kansas
Gonzaga - Will graves
Tulane - DeVon Baker
Cal Poly - David Esparza
Army

Minnesota actually has one in, so it's just 4 programs who don't have a player in the transfer portal out of 358. Granted some of these schools, the only representation in the portal are walk-ons, such as Duke and Gonzaga. Just shows that everyone loses someone these days, unless you win a championship.

It makes sense to me that Pete would play his last year elsewhere if he realizes soon enough he doesn't have what it takes to get into the NBA. He definitely doesn't have to ability to lead NU to the dance, and he'll be a great second or third option on a top 25 team.

Reactions: Sec.112
It makes sense to me that Pete would play his last year elsewhere if he realizes soon enough he doesn't have what it takes to get into the NBA. He definitely doesn't have to ability to lead NU to the dance, and he'll be a great second or third option on a top 25 team.
That's one of the more realistic ideas out here.

His style is also Robin to someone's Batman.

Reactions: IGNORE2
The Athletic has a top #100 prospects. It won't match the draft, it won't be the top #60 will be drafted as it depends on team's needs and this is based on potential, I think.

It's behind a paywall:

PBJ is #20
Christie is #40
Nance is not on the list

Pete will either:
1) Go back to school allowing himself more exposure and the chance of raising his profile. Might even collect some NIL money, not that I feel it would play a big role here
2) Go through the motions of not getting drafted, doing summer league, pray a minor miracle happens. Followed by a decision of quitting basketball, go to the G League or go overseas
3) Hope for another minor miracle that the G League or overseas channels will allow him a shot in the future. Does not happen much

If it were me I'd go with #1. It's a chance of being in the draft conversation next year. #2 and #3 will be there in a year anyway.

Unfortunately, none of this involves NU as a good option. Other than an irrational attachment to a school he has given enough to, it's not a good option.

Last edited:
A lot of Carolina fans out there are talking about Nance as a replacement for Brady Manek. Not sure if he’s actually on their radar, but it would be a pretty good fit and he’d be on a legit contender.

One transfer to Duke, the other to UNC....NU, ACC's B1G Team baby!
Sports Illustrated has Pete Nance rated as the #2 player in the portal (post May 1 deadline)...

their summary hurts a bit...

"His new team may not design its offense around him quite the way Northwestern did, but Nance will look even better if surrounded with better guards than he played with in Evanston."

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: GatoLouco
Sports Illustrated has Pete Nance raked as the #2 player in the portal (post May 1 deadline)...

"His new team may not design its offense around him quite the way Northwestern did, but Nance will look even better if surrounded with better guards than he played with in Evanston."

I would say it is accurate. Pete was easily our best player and unfortunately he didn’t have that much help around him. Talent wins games.

Reactions: ricko654321
Sports Illustrated has Pete Nance rated as the #2 player in the portal (post May 1 deadline)...

I mean, weird that the writer singled out the guards, you know?

Amazing facts! Why didn't you tell us about this before???
Please don't become another one of those "shoot the messenger" data-hating, "see no evil" trolls that lurk around here, criticizing information that they think they've seen, but actually haven't.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT