ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals predicts Cormac Ryan to NU

I don't mean to pick on you because others have said it too, but how exactly is NU a traditional "stepping stone" program? In the last thirty years: Rich Falk never coached again, Bill Foster never coached again, Ricky Birdsong never coached again, Kevin O'Neill was a crazy person not representative of the program, and Bill Carmody is coaching in a lower level conference. NU is only a traditional stepping stone if that next step is off a cliff.

Now that's funny. Sad. But funny.

Not loving that.
Why does that matter? MICH may have needs in different direction and less competition for us. Remember IA supposedly cooled on Lindsey and that worked out OK

Why does that matter? MICH may have needs in different direction and less competition for us. Remember IA supposedly cooled on Lindsey and that worked out OK

Meant that I'm not loving his statement that he's "wide open". I'd prefer some lean towards NU. Just want to see some positive momentum develop for NU hoops recruiting.

Meant that I'm not loving his statement that he's "wide open". I'd prefer some lean towards NU. Just want to see some positive momentum develop for NU hoops recruiting.
Really you need to hear something that you like from a HS senior, to make you feel good.

Last edited:
Really you need to hear something that you like from a HS senior, to make you feel good.
Relax, bro. I never said that my emotional state is connected to a HS student's school preference. I'd like to see NU hoops continue it's recent success, and this is dependent upon recruiting success. Teddy's article led many to believe CMac was a strong NU lean, but this comment refuted that. It's a setback for the state of recruiting from where I thought it was

Why are you personally attacking me? What have I done to you?

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Relax, bro. I never said that my emotional state is connected to a HS student's school preference. I'd like to see NU hoops continue it's recent success, and this is dependent upon recruiting success. Teddy's article led many to believe CMac was a strong NU lean, but this comment refuted that. It's a setback for the state of recruiting from where I thought it was

Why are you personally attacking me? What have I done to you?
Nothing, sorry. Still the fact that he just mentioned that his recruitment is still open doesn't reflect badly on NU and shouldn't cause fans to agonize over a 17 year olds life decision.

Nothing, sorry. Still the fact that he just mentioned that his recruitment is still open doesn't reflect badly on NU and shouldn't cause fans to agonize over a 17 year olds life decision.

What's the point of these boards if not to agonize over whether 17-22 year olds can put a ball through a hoop. Don't make us try to keep things in "perspective"

Apology accepted, thanks! No harm done.

I tend to look at college recruiting as being on a similar plane as professional sports drafts. This past weekend's NFL draft had 9.2MM viewers on Thursday night. I believe that this is due to the powerful nature of "hope" and the emotional attachment competitive sports engenders. When combined, these two can lead to a great deal of entertainment value. That's how I view my tracking of NU's recruiting: it's entertainment. On occaision, I may become overly invested in this entertainment, but is that so uncommon? Have you ever developed an emotional connection to a tv show, movie, musical or other type of artist's work? Have they ever heightened your emotional state, whether positively or negatively? Is this a bad thing, or is it simply part of the human experience?

If your concern over this is that it may cause discomfort or challenges for the recruit, then perhaps they should consider whether being a D1 athlete is right for them. Certainly the athletic department wants to create fans who, by definition, are emotionally invested in its teams, albeit to varying degrees. These recruits are knowingly and willingly entering a multi-billion dollar entertainment industry full of scrutiny, excitement, challenges and rewards. It's not for everyone.

On the other hand, if you are trying to tell me that I'm too emotionally invested, and you are looking out for my personal wellbeing, then thanks, but I'm good. I'm quite comfortable with my emotions as they relate to NU sports. I enjoy the highs and lows. It helps me to feel alive and connected to the human experience. I don't care to numb that away or dull it down. If my emotions with respect to NU sports somehow offends or bothers you, I think that's something you need to examine for yourself. Again, I'm good.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern

I tend to look at college recruiting as being on a similar plane as professional sports drafts. This past weekend's NFL draft had 9.2MM viewers on Thursday night. I believe that this is due to the powerful nature of "hope" and the emotional attachment

I tend to look at college recruiting as being on a similar plane as professional sports drafts. This past weekend's NFL draft had 9.2MM viewers on Thursday night. I believe that this is due to the powerful nature of "hope" and the emotional attachment competitive sports engenders. When combined, these two can lead to a great deal of entertainment value. That's how I view my tracking of NU's recruiting: it's entertainment. On occaision, I may become overly invested in this entertainment, but is that so uncommon? Have you ever developed an emotional connection to a tv show, movie, musical or other type of artist's work? Have they ever heightened your emotional state, whether positively or negatively? Is this a bad thing, or is it simply part of the human experience?

If your concern over this is that it may cause discomfort or challenges for the recruit, then perhaps they should consider whether being a D1 athlete is right for them. Certainly the athletic department wants to create fans who, by definition, are emotionally invested in its teams, albeit to varying degrees. These recruits are knowingly and willingly entering a multi-billion dollar entertainment industry full of scrutiny, excitement, challenges and rewards. It's not for everyone.

On the other hand, if you are trying to tell me that I'm too emotionally invested, and you are looking out for my personal wellbeing, then thanks, but I'm good. I'm quite comfortable with my emotions as they relate to NU sports. I enjoy the highs and lows. It helps me to feel alive and connected to the human experience. I don't care to numb that away or dull it down. If my emotions with respect to NU sports somehow offends or bothers you, I think that's something you need to examine for yourself. Again, I'm good.

competitive sports engenders. When combined, these two can lead to a great deal of entertainment value. That's how I view my tracking of NU's recruiting: it's entertainment. On occaision, I may become overly invested in this entertainment, but is that so uncommon? Have you ever developed an emotional connection to a tv show, movie, musical or other type of artist's work? Have they ever heightened your emotional state, whether positively or negatively? Is this a bad thing, or is it simply part of the human experience?

Again sorry and I'm really not trying to tell you how to handle your emotions regarding NU athletics. It's just that I have decided to become emotionally involved only after a kid commits to NU. You sound like a great NU fan, so enjoy yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT