ADVERTISEMENT

Roper

This.

And anyone who thinks Collins runs off players, they're not paying attention to the scholarship count. There's always extra left over, as @IGNORE2 can and will attest to...
If we have a high number of open scholarships... why is that?
Lets assume Collins isn't actively trying to get guys to transfer out...
But Simmons left, Roper left, Kopp left...
Gaines, Young, Nance and Beran all got degrees and left..

Every case is different, but did Collins have anything to do with any of those departures?

Most people obviously won't know the reason behind these departures. Maybe some were personality clashes. Expectations of playing time not commensurate with ability and performance. Some may not have fit in at the school itself ( purely speculation but suspect that may have been the case for Simmons). The fact is that every coach has these situations. I don't think Collins handling of it is any different except for Johnnie Vassar. The transfer portal and NIL have exacerbated this making college basketball and football players free agents. The only difference is that they don't sign contracts like in the pros where they are under team control for however many years. They can leave whenever they want and get both a full ride scholarship and money to play. Trying to manage all these things by the coach is a Herculean task.The players on the currently on the roster buy in. Hopefully Mullins, Preston and Langborg (hopefully) mesh in and keep the momentum going forward.

If we have a high number of open scholarships... why is that?
Lets assume Collins isn't actively trying to get guys to transfer out...
But Simmons left, Roper left, Kopp left...
Gaines, Young, Nance and Beran all got degrees and left..

Every case is different, but did Collins have anything to do with any of those departures?
I doubt Collins actively tries to run off certain players. I think in this day and age this type of attrition is pretty much par for course. Collins typically has an 8 man rotation, so if a kid doesn't feel like he'll be getting playing time, why wouldn't he leave for a better opportunity elsewhere? But each case is different as you said, like Nance who ultimately has NBA aspirations probably felt he could benefit from a year at UNC.

I have no problem with athletes getting paid by the hour like a work/study job that their classmates might also be doing.

Of course, getting full tuition, housing and meals seems like they're already getting paid.

Please admit that or I can't discuss it with you.
Tuition, housing and meals is only the beginning. You need to add in free coaching, medical coverage, strength and conditioning, travel, tutoring, equipment, facilities and their maintenance and the biggest stages in the game. That last one is the biggest nut. Then you add the value of a guaranteed 4-5 year contract, whether the player ever plays or not, with portal free agency not even NFL players have, and the discussion begins with how and why an already sweet deal should be made better.

Let me add one other observation. Can anybody name one player in today’s college game that changed the economics of the game? By their play on the field?

Regardless, you won’t get that critical admission in this debate PWB. Not from the narrow minded and shallow thinking fools who think the football players are getting screwed because the wealth of college football is spread around to support opportunities for more than 500 student athletes at places like Northwestern. Which means more for the players would never come from anonymous university sources. It would come from people like KAH and her players — and their quest for an 8th national championship.

GOUNUII

Tuition, housing and meals is only the beginning. You need to add in free coaching, medical coverage, strength and conditioning, travel, tutoring, equipment, facilities and their maintenance and the biggest stages in the game. That last one is the biggest nut. Then you add the value of a guaranteed 4-5 year contract, whether the player ever plays or not, with portal free agency not even NFL players have, and the discussion begins with how and why an already sweet deal should be made better.

Let me add one other observation. Can anybody name one player in today’s college game that changed the economics of the game? By their play on the field?

Regardless, you won’t get that critical admission in this debate PWB. Not from the narrow minded and shallow thinking fools who think the football players are getting screwed because the wealth of college football is spread around to support opportunities for more than 500 student athletes at places like Northwestern. Which means more for the players would never come from anonymous university sources. It would come from people like KAH and her players — and their quest for an 8th national championship.

GOUNUII
Well thats one thing I wondered about and then just stopped thinking about - why wouldn't a coach just pay players himself? Seems more equitable, if you have to go that route.

GOUNUII
I'm torn on this. I don't think the issue is that kids aren't getting a good deal with all the things you list in exchange for their participation on the field/court. The issue has always been that the kids were not allowed to benefit financially from their celebrity status. Northwestern can sell that jersey and reap all the rewards, but the reason someone is buying that jersey is because they love Boo Buie. If a local business wanted a high profile local college athlete to promote their product, it was against the rules. Now they can.

It gets tricky for me when we are reduced to schools (and booster programs) paying kids to play at their school. It feels kind of icky. But I am less torn about a kid doing a commercial or something like that and getting paid where they are in demand.

I'm torn on this. I don't think the issue is that kids aren't getting a good deal with all the things you list in exchange for their participation on the field/court. The issue has always been that the kids were not allowed to benefit financially from their celebrity status. Northwestern can sell that jersey and reap all the rewards, but the reason someone is buying that jersey is because they love Boo Buie. If a local business wanted a high profile local college athlete to promote their product, it was against the rules. Now they can.

It gets tricky for me when we are reduced to schools (and booster programs) paying kids to play at their school. It feels kind of icky. But I am less torn about a kid doing a commercial or something like that and getting paid where they are in demand.
All good points. Here’s another. Imagine Boo having the same career at Western Michigan. You think people would still be buying his merchandise?

The BIG brand makes a difference.

GOUNUII

All good points. Here’s another. Imagine Boo having the same career at Western Michigan. You think people would still be buying his merchandise?

The BIG brand makes a difference.

GOUNUII
Agreed, but before it was 100% to NU and 0% to Boo. I’m not sure what the correct ratio should be, but I don’t think it’s that.

Agreed, but before it was 100% to NU and 0% to Boo. I’m not sure what the correct ratio should be, but I don’t think it’s that.
Accroding to this CNBC article from 2011, the schools were getting about 10% of the sale price of a school jersey.
These were just school jerseys with a number, but no name.
If I remember right, when the O'Bannons won, the schools were (somewhat) forced to remove the numbers.

Now, private enterprise has forced the schools to put the numbers back on the jerseys and to put the players names on the jerseys and compensate the players for the sale of those personalized jerseys.

Its an interesting world.

Speaking of Roper, was anyone else screaming at the TV last night in garbage time ordering Collins to pull the starters? He had Buie in the game with 30 seconds to go. Was just waiting for someone to turn an ankle like Julian last year...

Speaking of Roper, was anyone else screaming at the TV last night in garbage time ordering Collins to pull the starters? He had Buie in the game with 30 seconds to go. Was just waiting for someone to turn an ankle like Julian last year...
I certainly was, the starters could've been pulled with 4 minutes to go and the result would never have been in doubt.

Reactions: drewjin
I certainly was, the starters could've been pulled with 4 minutes to go and the result would never have been in doubt.
It also sucks for the walk-ons and guys on the end of the bench who aren't potentially redshirting. Sure they'd like to get some run against a Pac 12 team in an NBA arena even if it's in a blowout.

I believe Roper's primary desire was to secure guaranteed playing time and take on a greater offensive role. Specifically, he aimed to become a secondary ball handler and have more opportunities to shoot. Given the presence of Buie, Berry, Barnhizer, a potential Audige, and a transfer player focused on offense, Roper realized that his chances of being the top scoring option (option 1, 2, or 3) were slim. At best, he would have been considered the fourth option, provided he was performing well. Roper's addition to NU would have significantly bolstered their depth. He would have brought a strong defensive presence and served as a potential scoring option in case Berry was having an off day. All in all, Roper is a skilled and valuable player imo.

On March 13, 2023, the NCAA basketball transfer portal opened.
On March 18, UCLA beat NU, ending our season.
On March 22, Micah Shrewsberry officially left Penn State to coach Notre Dame.
On March 24, Princeton lost to Creighton in the NCAA tournament.

Julian Roper entered the transfer portal on March 27.
Ryan Langborg, as a Princeton graduate now ineligible to play there, entered the portal on March 27.
Boo Buie declared for the NBA draft on April 2.
Robbie Beran entered the portal on April 6.
Chase Audige declared for NBA draft on April 9.

Roper became Shrewsberry's first ND commit on April 18.
Ryan Langborg committed to Northwestern on April 23.
Boo Buie announced his return to Northwestern on May 8.

This interview with Roper is interesting... mentions Buie and Audige... why he chose ND.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
On March 13, 2023, the NCAA basketball transfer portal opened.
On March 18, UCLA beat NU, ending our season.
On March 22, Micah Shrewsberry officially left Penn State to coach Notre Dame.
On March 24, Princeton lost to Creighton in the NCAA tournament.

Julian Roper entered the transfer portal on March 27.
Ryan Langborg, as a Princeton graduate now ineligible to play there, entered the portal on March 27.
Boo Buie declared for the NBA draft on April 2.
Robbie Beran entered the portal on April 6.
Chase Audige declared for NBA draft on April 9.

Roper became Shrewsberry's first ND commit on April 18.
Ryan Langborg committed to Northwestern on April 23.
Boo Buie announced his return to Northwestern on May 8.

This interview with Roper is interesting... mentions Buie and Audige... why he chose ND.

Do you think he is regretting his decision?

I do think it is possible. He probably should be, but thats from my perspective, not his.

I can say that I am regretting Roper's decision - especially for next season when Buie and Langborg are gone and possibly even Ty Berry.
Hopefully, Ty and MN come back for their extra year. Little NIL, grab another degree from NU. That would give 11 scholarship players.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Hopefully, Ty and MN come back for their extra year. Little NIL, grab another degree from NU. That would give 11 scholarship players.
I’m with you but the emergence of hunger gives me relief when thinking about MNs decision. As for Berry, seems like he is a common NU player -> hot/cold 3 and D 2/3. And it seems like there are a bunch in pipeline between current roster and next years class.

You never know: he could enter the portal again before his final year of eligibility.

Do you think he is regretting his decision?
Not at all. According to the ND coaches and also what was shown in video of ND practices, Roper quickly established himself as a positive force and team leader. ND has the youngest team in D-1 and Roper has the most experience. Like many opposing players, Shrewsberry impressed him a lot. Roper receives more minutes than he would've ever received at NU. He's also a little closer to home. He knew he was signing up for a rebuilding job, and that excites some players. Mike Brey's final blue chip recruit, J.J. Starling, actually chose ND for precisely that reason. He wanted to be a big cog in restarting the program.

Reactions: DaCat
Not at all. According to the ND coaches and also what was shown in video of ND practices, Roper quickly established himself as a positive force and team leader. ND has the youngest team in D-1 and Roper has the most experience. Like many opposing players, Shrewsberry impressed him a lot. Roper receives more minutes than he would've ever received at NU. He's also a little closer to home. He knew he was signing up for a rebuilding job, and that excites some players. Mike Brey's final blue chip recruit, J.J. Starling, actually chose ND for precisely that reason. He wanted to be a big cog in restarting the program.
They need about 5 more Cogs to restart this mess.

• Haha
Reactions: DaCat
Oh come on now. Yes, Roper stated that he was impressed by Micah Shrewsberry. Thats why he transferred to Notre Dame.
Other than that you're just winging it.

Oh come on now. Yes, Roper stated that he was impressed by Micah Shrewsberry. Thats why he transferred to Notre Dame.
Other than that you're just winging it.
Micah is not quite fully proven in college. He inherited a team that last year was the most experienced in the country. His NAIA team won 1/3 of its games.

And to think Shrewsberry offers him more freedom offensively; I would disagree it’s much different than Collins, who always says shoot when you are open, runs pro-style sets, allows for 1-on-1 freedom of moves, etc.

He likely saw that Brooks was going to be the #2 option in the offense, and maybe also thought another year of Boo would not help him as much as he wanted individually.

Reactions: drewjin
Micah is not quite fully proven in college. He inherited a team that last year was the most experienced in the country. His NAIA team won 1/3 of its games.

And to think Shrewsberry offers him more freedom offensively; I would disagree it’s much different than Collins, who always says shoot when you are open, runs pro-style sets, allows for 1-on-1 freedom of moves, etc.

He likely saw that Brooks was going to be the #2 option in the offense, and maybe also thought another year of Boo would not help him as much as he wanted individually.

“I can’t speak for everybody, but I would say of 14 teams in the Big Ten, we’re probably 14. Maybe 13. So, it’s just about who we want to be as a program,” he said. “What are we willing to say is going to be our standard? Because, I can be as good of a coach in the world, but if you don’t have as good of players, it doesn’t matter. Or, if you do a great job with your development, you find a kid, you develop him, and then somebody comes in and they have something for him, that’s kids, that’s life right now, and that’s what’s happening.”
--- Shrewsberry talking about Penn State, NIL money and why kids transfer....

There was a poll by CBS of 100 coaches - which coaching hire was the best for 2023. Rick Pitino at Saint Johns got the most votes, then Ed Cooley at Georgetown, then Shrewsberry at Notre Dame.

Shrewsberry grew up in Indiana, was an assistant to Brad Stevens at Butler for their 2 NCAA title losses, then was hired away by Matt Painter at Purdue, then re-united with Stevens when he got the Boston Celtics job. Painter re-hired Shrewsberry for a couple seasons, before Shrewsberry accepted the head job at Penn State.

Of course, PSU played mostly without a center last year and beat NU twice in 10 days last March when they had no business beating us. Shrewsberry received a lot of credit for devising an offense around 6' 3" Jalen Pickett in the low post.

Julian Roper has since stated that he was impressed by how Shrewsberry coached his players during those games and wanted to play for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT